Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
Finally neural integrated a Nova... my fleet went from occasionally struggling with median bounties to taking on multi-capital bounties without sweat or losses* (*mostly, you know how it is). It's a great (double) fleet capstone, completely worth all the trouble and I haven't even tried out a Radiant yet. This is my first time trying neural link and it's great, I dunno why it took me so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
For me, Nova is better at what it does (eat whatever is in front of it) than a radiant, *if* it's player controlled.

Under AI control, radiant all the way.

Edit: idle thought:

What's the point of midrange weapons?

Generally speaking, I'm either trying to...

1: ...outrange and murder my opponents as they dash towards me, in which case 1000 is normal and 800 is barely tolerable.

2: ...ram and murder my opponents as my shield grinds against their hull, in which case I don't care what the range is as long as it's at least 100-200 I guess?

At no point do I look at a weapon and say "Oh wow, (400-700) range! Just what I was looking for!"
Is there a playstyle that makes this important that I'm just ignoring?

Atopian fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 13, 2024

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
5-800 + ITU is enough to reach most of the way across a big cruiser brawl to concentrate fire, and the midrange weapons are more flux efficient than the 900-1000 ones. It’s also a good range for fragile ships lategame, a dual phase lance tempest has a much better chance of reaching 6-800 range of a cruiser brawl, dealing efficient damage, and pulling back alive than doing the same with a Heavy Blaster.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah usually a mid range weapon is good in some way other than range. The heavy mortar for example has good shell caliber, low op cost and good flux efficiency, in exchange for middling range and poor accuracy. But stick them in fixed mounts or use several with ITU and you'll put out a lot of effective fire at the enemy line.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
400--700 is where all the scary energy weapons live. AM blaster, heavy blaster, ion pulser, plasma cannon, phase lance, if you see a fast high tech ship with these and some sort of movement ability sizing you up you're in for some trouble.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Carcer posted:

400--700 is where all the scary energy weapons live. AM blaster, heavy blaster, ion pulser, plasma cannon, phase lance, if you see a fast high tech ship with these and some sort of movement ability sizing you up you're in for some trouble.

I think these are more than just outside of shield range because it lets phase ships fire and then finish the transition to phase space before the ship explosion can reach them

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also I don't think there are any vanilla weapons below 400 range except for the vulcan and light machine gun. 400-700 range describes the majority of non-missile, non-beam weapons in the game.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
why does the game have the ITU and then the fake ITU thats as good if you build it in but never better

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Because you have to find ITU and big ships are bad without any range extenders.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
which is silly because you get the ITU within like 10 minutes of starting a new game, either by visiting a couple of stations or just taking a skill that's one of the best in the game to begin with

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Also I don't think there are any vanilla weapons below 400 range except for the vulcan and light machine gun. 400-700 range describes the majority of non-missile, non-beam weapons in the game.

I know (and thanks others for various suggestions, seem reasonable), my original position wasn't that they don't exist, just that their range didn't matter aside from above/below a couple of values.

But, that's been revised given (stuff above).

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Pfft, targeting. In my day we did safety overrides on everything and got into range the old fashioned way!

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Benagain posted:

Pfft, targeting. In my day we did safety overrides on everything and got into range the old fashioned way!

That day is today.

The only reason to stop firing is if the wreckage of your previous targets clusters too thickly around your current targets to allow a decent line of fire.

A personal score I keep is "number of frigates crushed between my ship and the enemy when they thought they could get smart".

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Benagain posted:

gun range doesn't matter if you are fast enough to fly in, dump your hammers and then explode!!!!

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

New blog post came out, mostly focusing on simulator improvements. It also says the JRE will be updated to Java 17.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

At last!

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Yeah, the sim has needed an overhaul for awhile now and I'm glad it's getting attention. JRE going to 17 is also a huge plus.

The worst part will be the wait: we're probably a year away from the next update :(

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I sincerely hopes he adds something like that target brick mod, just a huge hunk of armor with optional shields so you can test weapons against a controlled, consistent target. It'd be helpful for people who have never played the game and people who have 500 mods.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
And put the brick blueprint in loot tables. :twisted:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Something I've never seen put forward as a newbie tip is that remnant don't use emergency or full burn, so they're a lot less dangerous than other fleets if your non-boosting speed is faster then theirs.

If you're burn 9 or 10 and there's a nav buoy in system you can run rings around them to get at the juicy stuff without too much danger.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Carcer posted:

Something I've never seen put forward as a newbie tip is that remnant don't use emergency or full burn, so they're a lot less dangerous than other fleets if your non-boosting speed is faster then theirs.

If you're burn 9 or 10 and there's a nav buoy in system you can run rings around them to get at the juicy stuff without too much danger.
This is the pro strat to the start of any new game now. Roll around in a solar shielded, max burn atlas and pick up all those sweet sweet research stations. Also scan all the blackholes from inside them so you can max out your hyperspace topography while you're at it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sometimes I Sustain Burn around Remnant systems flipping the bird. When I have all the fleets following me, I pull them out to the middle of nowhere and transverse jump.

Then I can drop in on a jump point or gravity well and loot, or even take out their station while it is unsupported.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

which is silly because you get the ITU within like 10 minutes of starting a new game, either by visiting a couple of stations or just taking a skill that's one of the best in the game to begin with

The whole thing with unlocking modifications is kinda weird yeah. You spend the early game paying a cost premium to unlock mods and its something that basically disappears by midgame. It's especially weird in the context of built ins because an experienced player will end up just delaying their build ins so they can do the mods they want.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

In-universe justification for why civilian and, say, pirate ships have different (worse) mods.

Also let's the player (fairly quickly) travel through those general quality categories. Not every development type has to last the entire game.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have like two inventory rows of unlearned hullmods that I never use and do not want my faction to use. I just sell the extras occasionally.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Unless you are constantly fighting besides your faction fleets it won't really matter.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I know.

I keep them first because it unclutters the refit screen, secondly because unknown hullmods keep dropping as loot and they’re worth a chunk of change.

The minor connotations for the rest of my faction only occurred to me when I was typing that post.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Sometimes I Sustain Burn around Remnant systems flipping the bird. When I have all the fleets following me, I pull them out to the middle of nowhere and transverse jump.

Then I can drop in on a jump point or gravity well and loot, or even take out their station while it is unsupported.

I just do the big signal ping, fly out in a direction, go dark and loop around them. They waste so much time searching for nothing.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Carcer posted:

I just do the big signal ping, fly out in a direction, go dark and loop around them. They waste so much time searching for nothing.

I enter the system and start screaming "LOG OFF!" on the hypercoms to the inscrutable & deadly AI menace. Waiting in the shadows for the results of them to fly to the spot telling me how foolish I am and how they will never log off.

Fool are they, as I slip by to steal their children to work in my mines.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Another benefit is that if you do it right a few fleets are left behind, which you can now fight to directly enslave them to work in your mines.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

is there a mod that adds a ring to the middle of the left thruster? i swear i see it constantly.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

buglord posted:

is there a mod that adds a ring to the middle of the left thruster? i swear i see it constantly.

You *could* just replace the exiting_hyperspace.jpg with your own illustration for instance.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

what is that man doing to space-time

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Scientists at the Academy spent cycles working on the math and this random gently caress off the street just bends over and does that without tearing anything?!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Luddic Kirk

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010
Spend enough time out here and it becomes second nature. It's how I stretch when I dream. Not all of us get that. Lots do.

Nachiketa Portside Interview Project, Ep.2

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

Scientists at the Academy spent cycles working on the math and this random gently caress off the street just bends over and does that without tearing anything?!

Maths is for nerds, just bend hyperspace to your will by being an AI.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Cascade Failure posted:

Spend enough time out here and it becomes second nature. It's how I stretch when I dream. Not all of us get that. Lots do.

Nachiketa Portside Interview Project, Ep.2

"What we have, Artemisia, is something that cannot be taut."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010
"The Spacer pries open holy creation daily, and at each desecration our wholesale damnation looms. Our path is burden; our path is suffering. We shall face them with faith that our only redemption is final judgment."