Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Insert name here posted:

So how do fighter wings and carriers interact? Like, what does the number of flight decks mean? Is it just how much wings can be docked at once or what? Also, how viable is it to just roll around in a carrier and murder poo poo with a bunch of fighters? Can you actually do it or will your poo poo just die instantly?

Flight decks are how many individual fighters can be repaired/reloaded or launched at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Shoeless posted:

Aha. That is good to know. I remember in the combat tutorial they talked about missiles being for hull/armor, ballistic vs shields, and beams against both but the flux they cause is soft. Would have been nice to know that it's not tied to the weapon type but the DAMAGE type. Cause I've been using some ballistic weapons that have damage type [red sort of explosion picture] and they seem to do more damage to hull/armor than shields. Likewise I think the Sabot missiles are Kinetic so they'd be good vs shields but not hull I guess?

HE damage (red burst symbol) does 200% damage to armor and 50% damage to shields.

Kinetic damage (beige pointy shell) does 200% damage to shields and 50% damage to armor.

Energy damage (blue line into a burst) does 100% to everything. Only beam-type damage generates soft flux though; burst energy like pulse lasers and antimatter blasters still causes hard flux.

Fragmentation damage (tan/yellowish line into burst of arrows) does 25% damage to shields and armor. However I'm pretty sure they have AOE damage which, coupled with the fact they tend to be rapid firing and high DPS makes them best against small craft, missiles, etc.

All damage types do 100% damage against naked hull.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Ceebees posted:

Double the DPS, 20% more range, effectively 50% more ammo - tradeoffs are 50% more flux and accuracy is only pinpoint instead of laser-sharp... all for 1 OrdPoint cheaper.

I mean, i love the twinned railguns, but they most definitely are not at parity with vanilla.

That DPS figure is ignoring the 200 EMP damage per shot.

Edit: oh he removed the double damage to shields. Well that's not great for a kinetic weapon anymore since kinetic sucks against armor.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Wrapping this poo poo up now.

:swoon:

It'll probably be a bitch to field in the new CR system but damned if I won't!

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Protagorean posted:

So, um... what the hell does the Interdiction Array do?

It slows down ballistic shells, usually to the point of them being completely worthless. Can't recall if it slows missiles. The Kurmaraja seems like it will actually be super useful now with the CR system because it's a hard counter to low tech gunboat type ships that would normally be a huge pain to deal with because they're usually super buff and also don't lose CR rapidly.

Edit: It does slow down missiles as well. It slows things down gradually as they pass through the field, so the closer something is fired to you or the faster it is, the more likely it is to still hit you. Some missiles are able to power through it as well. It's probably aces against the Kadur though. :v:

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 30, 2013

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Artificer posted:

There is no Paragon ship fight, is there?

And is it just me or does it seem like a good player controlled ship build does not necessarily equate to a good AI controlled ship build? What makes a good AI controlled ship build, I wonder?

I find the AI is weakest when you set up an extreme one-two punch ship. Like, which all you have is good kinetic weapons and massive alpha weapons. AI likes to be a little more generalized.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Zudgemud posted:

I would play the poo poo out of all your ships if you made them more symmetrical, right now I only play the nevermore and the karkinos :v:

Death to symmetry! More Gonodactylus!

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

cybrancyborg posted:

The game was just updated a few days ago, the dev just takes his time with the updates, which are generally pretty substantial.

He also REALLY hates bugs so he does tons of testing. It's even more evident when you remember this game is still in alpha.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

So what skill trees do you guys normally prioritize? I pretty much always go 10 tech but I kinda waffle between whether a smaller fleet with a super deadly player ship (10 combat) or a larger fleet with a broader mix and numbers (10 command) is better.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

DFlux posted:

I always try to max combat then I waver back and forth between tech and command. Max combat because having a doom ship that can turn tides is always fun.

I could never survive without my 30% extra ordnance points.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 26, 2014

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Man the big fleets in Uumoz are no loving joke. I saw a Hegemony Defense Fleet with 5 onslaughts, a few battlecruisers, and the usual complement of cruisers and destroyers. How the hell do you deal with that much dakka? :psyduck:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Kenshin posted:

They can't field everything at once, so you take them apart ship-by-ship. If you have a fleet than can relatively easily kill one Onslaught then you've got a good chance of taking down the whole fleet.

They can if you play at max battle size. :getin:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Omi no Kami posted:

Installed the game- looks good, feels good, but gently caress if I don't wish it wouldn't give me a little goddamn feedback on what I'm doing wrong. I know the problem is my lack of understanding, but gently caress if thirty minutes of grinding the same two battles hasn't driven a hell of a lot of enthusiasm out of me- are there any decent primers available on basic combat strategy?

I've been streaming my starsector play lately just because, I guess I could do a tutorial stream? I'm not super amazing but I know the systems at least.

Edit: Shaolin how do you pronounce Imaginos? "Imagine-Ohs"? "Image-Enos"?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

^ Link? Also idk, "Imagine-ohs" i guess

Also, Uomoz' VODs are a good source of grit-teeth campaign play.

http://www.twitch.tv/gruntythrst/profile/pastBroadcasts

Apparently twitch ate my second video but there's still two of them. Apologies for the background noise, my mic is hosed up in such a way that it is hyper sensitive and would allow you to hear a pin drop at a thrash metal concert. Waiting for ModMic to get their new 4.0s in stock so I can use my new headphones otherwise I would have replaced the drat thing.

Edit: Also that's all mod gameplay so if I do a tutorial stream it'll be vanilla. Also I use Blackrock ships like exclusively because they own.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 4, 2014

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Liked your VOD Grunty, fun to watch. My gf found the banter between you and the british guy to be adorable. : D The Solenoid Quench Gun is a lot more attractive compared to the 2xshard in the current version, it was a bit meh back when it cost 10 OP and couldn't target fighters.

Yeah EthanSteele's a hoot to cast with. That particular video was shot using the last official Uomoz release so it was pretty outdated in terms of Blackrock stuff. I got his latest dev version the other day (which is still technically out of date; it's pre-Scalar Rejector) so I'm dicking around and feeling out the new weapon balances. Might stream some later today, dunno.

Edit: I was thinking about how best to plan out some Starsector 101 videos and the thought crossed my mind that it would be useful to have some dummy ships to blow up. Like the Simulator except with AI disabled. Anyone know if there's a mod for that?

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 5, 2014

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

First video is up. I have no idea what I'm doing RE: video editing so there's a bit at the beginning where I say "go" and also I ramble too much. Enjoy? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62AxxjwkvaY

Edit: playlist link

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 8, 2014

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Thyrork posted:

As for a "real" campaign, im unreasonably glad to see you rolled in the whole "you broke it, now its not as good but at least you can fly the cool looking stuff!", instead of just outright denying it. If theres ever a research & development system baked into this game it could be great to see inferior reverse engineering be a thing with mods like this and more. :haw:

It's the perfect flagship for a showoff freelancing legend, really. Nothing says "You should not gently caress with me" like someone who flies around in a carcass of a ship captured from the most fanatical and dangerous forces in the sector, instead of a fully functional vessel.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Grizzwold posted:

Only having watched the first couple videos, it seems like wolfpacks are really effective against larger ships since they can rotate out to vent while the enemy just gets overwhelmed and attrited to death. How true is this, given that it's been a long time since I've actually played the game?

It's certainly true with the AI. Player controlled capitals tend to fair better against wolf packs because you can more effectively focus fire.

This tournament is AI versus AI, right?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

OwlFancier posted:

Total war games do this with their units, or at least they do sometimes, a big army won't just blob up and chase you in a huddle, they'll form a long rank and push towards you, encircling you once they make contact.

This may be the first time I've heard Total War's braindead tactical AI held as a standard to aspire to.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Shaolin Fuckfiend I am expecting your mod to update within 24 hours. :colbert:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

ur wish... has been granted.... almost

Good enough! :v:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Bold Robot posted:

00-Series Nevermore, the one without the Antimatter Lance

A sin against God.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Backov posted:

The other day I saw a couple wolfs for sale in a dock, so I bought them, gave them my default fitout (Phase Lance, Tac laser, etc.) and it was good.

Then I noticed in combat they were behaving strangely, not firing their weapons at all. They were in fact aggressively bumping into things with their shield.

Turns out I forgot the "gave them my default fitout" step, and they were completely unarmed for 3-4 fights. Good AI, still trying to contribute.

This is awesome.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Anticheese posted:

Don't ask what the supplies are. You don't want to know.

Definitely don't ask what the Marines are.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I should give this guy some more money I've played so much of this drat game. Maybe I should just buy a bunch of copies and do a holiday giveaway

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

But I'm still at work! :cry:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

quote, as always, is not edit

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Demiurge4 posted:

Casually finding golden age tech while scouting outer systems :smug:

This is going to pay for some bigger ships.

Edit: Found a Class V planet and an alpha core in the ruins :stare:

That's a nice find :aaa:

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love to see:
-More diplomacy/politics between factions and player factions, mechanics that allow war and conquest on a real "map painting" level.
-Bit more depth for player built settlements to grow from a faction base to more of an actual civilization/society. Pick a government style, pick some SMAC style "social engineering" policies.
-Big threats and challenges that need faction-level resources to tackle or defend against.
-Cool emergent storytelling based on events and natural faction interactions and how the player has influenced the setting, rather than some fairly linear bethesda-style "main story quest"

-Space dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I'm gonna have to settle with a mid-tier planet in this game because I'm convinced no good ones exist. I also can't find any pristine nanoforges or alpha cores or good derelict ships :argh: