Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Obscurity posted:

So since coming back yesterday after quitting in 2.0.. I got my halloween stuff done, unlocked all the hard mode dungeons, started the Hildibrand quests, started continuing the main storyline, unlocked Ixali dailies, gained desynthesis, hunt access, aesthetitican access, and glamour access.

I'm sure I'm still missing a bunch of random poo poo.

So I should be doing hunts and CT as a ilvl 59 BLM or only do hard modes right now?

I plan on leveling up ROG/NIN and possibly changing to that as my main class as well.

Also..I only have 130k..not sure where to start with gaining gil. I have WVR/CRP/GSM/CUL at 50 and the rest at 15-30~ for skills. I have full AF for the 50s (basically aside from materia, I was geared to max for 2.0 crafting).

There is not really a reason to not participate in hunts. It's the fastest and lowest effort way to jump up to i90 (now I guess it will be i100/110).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
On the topic of DoT damage: I know DoTs can crit, but is it based off of the initial hit? IE, if the ability which applies the DoT (let’s say Chaos Thrust) crits, will all the rest of the damage be a crit? Or are DoT crits re-rolled on every tic of the damage?

drink slurm
Feb 18, 2010

Anime and Weed, what else do you need?

CodfishCartographer posted:

On the topic of DoT damage: I know DoTs can crit, but is it based off of the initial hit? IE, if the ability which applies the DoT (let’s say Chaos Thrust) crits, will all the rest of the damage be a crit? Or are DoT crits re-rolled on every tic of the damage?

no, use your lifesurges on full thrusts.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Obscurity posted:

So since coming back yesterday after quitting in 2.0.. I got my halloween stuff done, unlocked all the hard mode dungeons, started the Hildibrand quests, started continuing the main storyline, unlocked Ixali dailies, gained desynthesis, hunt access, aesthetitican access, and glamour access.

I'm sure I'm still missing a bunch of random poo poo.

So I should be doing hunts and CT as a ilvl 59 BLM or only do hard modes right now?

I plan on leveling up ROG/NIN and possibly changing to that as my main class as well.

Also..I only have 130k..not sure where to start with gaining gil. I have WVR/CRP/GSM/CUL at 50 and the rest at 15-30~ for skills. I have full AF for the 50s (basically aside from materia, I was geared to max for 2.0 crafting).

You should do any hunts you can always.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Sacro posted:

Oh okay I must have imagined all those sperg posts in this thread.

KaneTW posted:

Hi please provide examples. Hard mode: belzac doesn't count.

KaneTW posted:

gently caress off to Facebook casual games.

its ok i still believe in you senpai~

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Obscurity posted:

If you need a bit of seed money, here's a tip I got from this thread. One of the post-2.0 main quests gives a selection of red level 4 materia. When you get that quest, check which of the three goes for the most on the market board (it was Savage Might IV in my case), take that one as the quest reward, and auction it off. I got half a million gil that way, which gave me enough to buy a free company room with cash left over. I'm certain doing that would help you get the materials or gear you need to start making more money with crafting. Not that I'm anywhere near maxing crafting out, I'm still at the "get CUL to 37" stage.

Also, at least in the last patch, doing hunts for a few days could give you enough allied seals to buy all of the i90 Myth gear, which combined with the Zenith relic brings your iLvl to an even 90. I'm not sure how that's changing in 2.4 though.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

drink slurm posted:

no, use your lifesurges on full thrusts.

Also keep this in mind for ninja and don't use kassatsu on dot jutsus

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

They're rolled on every tick of damage but your buffs on application affect it through the entirety of the dot duration, regardless of the buff duration.

drink slurm
Feb 18, 2010

Anime and Weed, what else do you need?

Doublestep posted:

Also keep this in mind for ninja and don't use kassatsu on dot jutsus

it's really really cute that you still think fenra is letting you play ninja.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

bonewitch posted:

They're rolled on every tick of damage but your buffs on application affect it through the entirety of the dot duration, regardless of the buff duration.

So if you have the option always make sure you have inner release or any other crit chance increasing buff up whenever you apply your dots.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Bad Paladins are a dime a dozen. I tend to find myself main tanking in Sword Oath against roughly equally geared Paladins in Shield Oath. They made Paladin really simple to hold hate against single targets, but I guess a lot of players don't use the main combo or something?

wisdomHNOX posted:

There is not really a reason to not participate in hunts. It's the fastest and lowest effort way to jump up to i90 (now I guess it will be i100/110).

It was a convenient way to get soldiery before too, while not the best. I ended up accidentally capping on it quite a few times, so I reckon it'd be a fairly decent way to get Poetics while trying to get the cool glamour.

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014
PLDs also don't have any long-range threat generation except for provoke. If something gets away from a PLD for whatever reason and Provoke isn't up, they have to chase after it. At least warriors can X-class Second Wind and generate a modest amount of healing threat at practically infinite range so the mob doesn't even have to be in Tomahawk range.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

wisdomHNOX posted:

Even if this is true Phlebotomize and Chaos Thrust both have front loaded damge in addition to the DoT that is improved by having Disembowel up. Also putting off Phlebotomize until after your CT combo lets refreshing your various abilities line up better in my experience.

Doing heavy thrust and phlebotomize together is a very negligible dps loss. Do whatever feels right for you unless you care super hard about a difference of less than 1% dps. Which isn't unreasonable

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

dangersandwich posted:

PLDs also don't have any long-range threat generation except for provoke. If something gets away from a PLD for whatever reason and Provoke isn't up, they have to chase after it. At least warriors can X-class Second Wind and generate a modest amount of healing threat at practically infinite range so the mob doesn't even have to be in Tomahawk range.

lol

Monster Mash
Sep 11, 2001

dangersandwich posted:

j4g stop

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
More DRG chat: should I use Fracture as a cross-class skill? Where does it fit into a standard rotation? If not, what all cross-class skills should I be using? I’ve got Internal Release, Mercy Stroke, Bloodbath, Second Wind, and Foresight. But really the last three are just kinda there in the event I take some damage / aggro and wanna make things moderately easier on our healer. I very rarely ever even wind up using Foresight, but don’t really know what to replace it with.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

dangersandwich posted:

Are we not counting Shield Lob as a ranged ability for this assumption or something?

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be

dangersandwich posted:

At least warriors can X-class Second Wind and generate a modest amount of healing threat at practically infinite range

Thank god paladin has five dumpster abilities that do the exact same thing, and works in fights with adds, so if this ever became a real issue that anyone has ever faced ever in the game we might be okay.

I imagine that since he specifically mentioned things that work "outside of tomahawk range" he knows about shield lob and thinks Second Wind is somehow good or something.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
Hahah I love this thread sometimes. Really good pld advice today.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

More DRG chat: should I use Fracture as a cross-class skill? Where does it fit into a standard rotation? If not, what all cross-class skills should I be using? I’ve got Internal Release, Mercy Stroke, Bloodbath, Second Wind, and Foresight. But really the last three are just kinda there in the event I take some damage / aggro and wanna make things moderately easier on our healer. I very rarely ever even wind up using Foresight, but don’t really know what to replace it with.

The only cross class skills you'll use with any regularity are inner release and mercy stroke. Fracture has very niche uses but until you have sub 2.2 GCD it is a net DPS loss as a part of a main rotation. Foresight, bloodbath, second wind, and feather foot all are just situational and rarely used. Bloodbath and second wind are handy at helping your healer a bit.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Hang on guys, I'll grab that mob back in a jiffy. *spams cure on self*

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Fracture is a very polarizing skill in this thread. It's not bad but isn't always good either.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

dangersandwich posted:

:eyepop:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I'm glad for MRD low level roulettes I can just bind Overpower and go about my life.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

speaking of cross-class, what are everyones opinions on the 5 cross-class skills to use on NIN?

Internal Release, Blood for Blood and Invigorate are obvious choices, but how about the last two? Mantra+Second Wind? Keen Flurry+Featherfoot? or some other mix?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

What's the proper way for determining the overall potency of a DOT skill? Divide the duration by 3 and multiply by the tick potency?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Happy Blue Cow posted:

speaking of cross-class, what are everyones opinions on the 5 cross-class skills to use on NIN?

Internal Release, Blood for Blood and Invigorate are obvious choices, but how about the last two? Mantra+Second Wind? Keen Flurry+Featherfoot? or some other mix?

Maybe wait for people to actually play a NIN?

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014
This thread is also really bad at realizing different use cases and thinking outside the box. Yes I'm talking about outside of Shield Lob/Tomahawk range. When was the last time a miserable Shield Lob/Tomahawk regained threat after your BLM crit Flared and stole it from you? When has it ever been able to reach across the arena, e.g. for Spiny Plume? (never)

Velthice posted:

Hang on guys, I'll grab that mob back in a jiffy. *spams cure on self*

I know you're being facetious but Second Wind is instant cast. Provoke -> Second Wind gains you enough hate to prevent whatever it is from immediately running back to not-the-tank.

dangersandwich fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 27, 2014

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

nuru posted:

I'm glad for MRD low level roulettes I can just bind Overpower and go about my life.

There seem to be very few instances where you can't do this, regardless of level. Get flash and use it as a GCD filler to let your TP recharge and put on Netflix.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Happy Blue Cow posted:

If "Perfect Dodge" actually counts as evading an attack, I could see Haymaker being a possibility for when you nab aggro.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

There seem to be very few instances where you can't do this, regardless of level. Get flash and use it as a GCD filler to let your TP recharge and put on Netflix.

Good point. I stopped using flash very early because I had what appeared to be absolutely no mana regen in combat as a MRD, but that would get me a few casts per pull now.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

yoshi help please turn on the servers so the dumbs stop posting again

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Fracture and Feint.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Since ninjas exist to give monks more damage I'd assume they want featherfoot and keen flurry to keep themselves alive long enough to be useful to the monk.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Impulse Drive is going to be the number one cross-class skill.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Rogue starting primer: Maintain Straight Shot and use Impulse Drive behind if you can, otherwise Spinning Blades. Once you have Gust, stop using Impulse Drive.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

dangersandwich posted:

This thread is also really bad at realizing different use cases and thinking outside the box. Yes I'm talking about outside of Shield Lob/Tomahawk range. When was the last time a miserable Shield Lob/Tomahawk regained threat after your BLM crit Flared and stole it from you? When has it ever been able to reach across the arena, e.g. for Spiny Plume? (never)

I know you're being facetious but Second Wind is instant cast. Provoke -> Second Wind gains you enough hate to prevent whatever it is from immediately running back to not-the-tank.

I don't think tanking is for you, friend.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Virulence posted:

Impulse Drive is going to be the number one cross-class skill.

I still love how optimal DPS for low level melee is 90% this skill :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Happy Blue Cow posted:

What classes / levels are these all gained? I'm a bad.

• Locked thread