Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
The chocobo adds a significant amount of damage, the more attack skills it has the more it will do. In free stance it doesn't start spamming the rank 4 heal until you're pretty low but it will keep you up through a lot of things you could not do solo. I'm going hybrid with rank 4 healing, rank 1 defense, and dumping the rest in offense now and it makes doing anything in the overworld that much quicker. It sucks real hard that you can't queue with it out but that's a problem with the game system/design and not the chocobo's strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

Peoples experiences with finding hunt marks varies drastically. Unless you're in several good hunting linkshells and/or play off of prime time the number of seals you get is low on Excalibur.

Everyone should avoid the weekly elite mark when it's B rank though, it is straight up a trap that wastes your time. The game funnels the entire server into one zone to try and get kill credit on a very weak mob with a ~1 hour respawn that shows up anywhere in the zone. All for the wonderful reward of 1 rank A's worth of seals.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

All you goons who think the giant horde doesn't get full credit are wrong, hope this helps. I get full credit even on Bs with 10+ parties attacking it because enough people spam heals and shield lob/flash to get it. Sometimes you get a lovely party full of dragoons who play on commodore 64's and can't load zones in less than a minute but that's easy enough to fix (drop and find another one.)

The limiting factor is on finding new marks, and the horde has a massive amount of people reporting into it so it tends to find approximately a fuckton of marks.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

seannykun posted:

Hi guess what you're stupid and wrong. If your party is there from the beginning and you just show up and get 1 or 2 hits then yes, you will get full credit. If all yall show up late you're not going to though and that's how it works.

Try reading comprehension.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Tank while taking no actions besides flash and defensive cooldowns. Say "I didn't queue as dps" whenever anyone mentions what you're doing. Link to your twitch stream where you murder puppies live. You'll still get 3 commendations.

Sacro fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 30, 2014

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Verranicus posted:

Totally the same thing.

Yeah actually it is. I wouldn't lose aggro to the vast majority of random dps players by only using flash, so clearly I'm doing my job.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Robo Reagan posted:

Yeah, I know. It's a neat idea on paper, but datamining in WoW pretty much opened Pandora's box and now you're expected to know everything about a dungeon before setting foot in it. It's not a problem with goon groups, but it's sucky that it's one more thing I have to worry about as a fresh tank in dungeons.

People in FF14 get just as angry whenever someone is new, maybe moreso because being new is a huge detriment to others. The lack of information and feedback from the game (especially with regards to your performance, or inconsistent game mechanics) means players have to go to out of game sites and do a bunch of reading or get told what to do from another player. I'd say WoW is at least an order of magnitude more forgiving of people going in blind to dungeons and raids.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Player housing: only for players who possess computers and internet connections that place them in the top 0.4% of the player base in that regard and are awake Tuesday mornings.

The Japanese players are pretty pissed about this too, unsurprisingly. There's a 41 page thread calling for SE to extend maintenance and remove player housing from the patch.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

All beachfront small plots sold within a minute of server going live. Some guy has at least 4 small plots on alts. :gitgud:

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

dangersandwich posted:

The average to get 12 Atma shards is 400 FATEs ±100 depending on how much RNG fuckery you experience. Most of us have better things to do than to spend hours doing hundreds of FATEs that give nothing with no progress bar.

"like a day and a half" is bullshit unless you're a) extremely lucky, or b) some kind of atma wizard with RNG reduction spells.

you're missing the third possibility: people who spend 20 hours a day playing an mmo and think that's normal

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

How to gather effectively on the cheap:

http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/O1G0

Avoiding green accessories except for wrists saves a lot of money, not melding to 600 natural GP saves even more. Use lentils and chestnuts (36 or so gil at any capital food vendor) to reach 600 GP. You don't need to meld most of the perception until you've got the foragers weapon and hat to be able to do 2 star nodes, but it helps ever so slightly and is cheap. Meld 1 GP into your hat if you want to do 600 GP before getting foragers hat, which you absolutely should be doing to get umbrals/fragrants/tomatoes/whatever is only worthwhile as HQ.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

KaneTW posted:

That's indeed the case but we don't look down on others for not playing on a similar level.

Oh okay I must have imagined all those sperg posts in this thread.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

KaneTW posted:

Hi please provide examples. Hard mode: belzac doesn't count.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570430&pagenumber=932&perpage=40#post436024302
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570430&pagenumber=951&perpage=40#post436426733
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570430&pagenumber=844&perpage=40#post434205476

I'm not defending the people who get mocked in this thread or their wrong ideas, I'm taking issue with your statement:

KaneTW posted:

That's indeed the case but we don't look down on others for not playing on a similar level.

This place can get hostile towards people who are Wrong About Video Games. And then there's belzac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Yes fracture is a great cross class skill for paladin, always keep it up when you're not about to lose threat (protip that shouldn't be the norm) or TP starved, and multidot where appropriate. Time it so you can reapply it just before your damage buff falls because afaik all DoTs snapshot and you'll gain maybe literally a point of DPS. The TP issue is a bit more complicated and the answer is get a bard and manipulate your melee dps into asking for TP song.

KaneTW posted:

I think I worded my original post poorly. As long people are just playing suboptimally or whatever, I've got no beef with them. Maybe I'll give them tips and if they don't want to listen I'll move on. But if they spread misinformation in a forum thread where someone can read it and take it for the truth I'll call them out and I guess sometimes get a little hostile.

I understand, I have the same attitude. Just thought what you were saying was something different about the FC.

Sacro fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 27, 2014

• Locked thread