Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Let's start this off properly.

Ed: And this, of course:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

get ye flask posted:

FSH in FFXIV is exactly like fishing in real life: boring and time-involved; whose proponents frequently adhere to complex, often arcane strategies of dubious effectiveness.

Except it doesn't require you to go outside. Of course MMO players love it.

It's great for when you're tired, just wanna shoot the poo poo in the game and not worry about maximizing your whatsits or doing a dungeon or whatever. Just find a good spot, bait your line, and relax. And you also have an actual chance of catching something, which you don't really get IRL.

Also, you can fish in all kinds of weird places.

Never stop fishing.

Ed: Fish yourself to death.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 16, 2013

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Everything about this game is adorable.

The fact that you can see the Limsa Aetheryte Plaza from certain parts of La Noscea is pretty loving cool, not gonna lie.

And for the new thread, goldfarmers.png:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Sankis posted:

It seems like forcing a level or quest requirement or something on Shout would work wonders.

Spammers are mostly hacked accounts, so that would be useless.

Does that authenticator thing work with ipods, or just iphones?

These are all really cool, thanks for posting them.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Unconventional Oven posted:

Anyone know when this maintenance is scheduled to end?

Bout an hour from now.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Is the level 10 Arcanist quest implying the Foreseer got raped. This game gets dark very quickly. :catstare:

Well I was kinda avoiding that particular conclusion but yeah. I suppose it does.

There is definitely some dark stuff in this game, though. Wait'll you get to the Hakkue Manor questline.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Representing corpses in your inventory as flowers is pretty tasteful.

But drat when you realize you're carrying around a corpse... :v:

The fact that they even bothered to model the corpse was pretty weird. It's off-screen, but somewhere in the game's files is a mangled corpse of a young woman.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Aladar posted:

What the hell even happened here :psyduck:

Usually when I see this, I assume they failed some kind of instance and are waiting for a raise. At least, that's the majority of cases I've found.

Speaking of which, getting an off-brand version of raise as a DPS class is pretty sweet. Arcanists rock.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

And yet here I am level 30 and there's still people all around me that run after a mob, but then when I tag it, they ignore it and go looking for new ones. Then I /t them and let them know, and they're like "oh poo poo really?" :doh:

Usually I do this because I can tell other people are going to kill the mob too fast for me to be able to get credit. And the rez thing is usually just because I don't feel like teleporting all the way from horizon back to wherever I was/hoofing it on chocobo.

I make sure to rez every corpse I come across, unless they're being an rear end. Thankfully, I haven't found and cases of this, yet. I have found plenty of cases of somebody failing an instance, being raised, and then turning around to find somebody else who failed the same instance in need of a rez. It's especially hilarious when I have no trouble with that instance.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Baldbeard posted:

Isn't there full on gang-rape implied in a story quest? At one of the desert maps, you are dealing with a tribe's youths. One of the girls gets taken hostage by an enemy group and is surrounded, and taunted, while they do things to her.

If you mean Little Ala Mhigo then yeah, it is kinda implied there. But there's a lot of implied stuff about how the refugees are treated, if you pay attention. Eorzea isn't exactly a very friendly place to outsiders, especially in Gridania and Ul'dah.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Sheep posted:

The cities are indeed pretty terrible, especially Limsa whatever. It's always such a pain trying to figure out where you need to go, not to mention all the wasted, unused space that is just devoted to making you run farther because immersion or whatever.

I actually found Ul'dah to be far worse than Limsa, just because of how much loving space they put between each of the Aethernet crystals. Each entrance to Limsa leads to either an Aethernet crystal, or the Aetheryte plaza, and the crystals are all placed in such a way that getting to your destination from one is fairly painless. Getting around in Ul'dah, on the other hand, far more difficult because none of the loving crystals are in places that make sense, and they don't have a crystal near the market (unless you count the one on the other side of the loading screen).

And if you're not using Aethernet to get around then get the gently caress on that.

eggrolled posted:

What starting zone did you guys enjoy the most?

I don't really care about the initial class since I can change easily enough later, but when I tried out the game on a friend's account, I started in Gridania which felt kind of... meh. I actually felt like Gridania was kind of disorienting and found it really confusing to get around. :buddy: Are Uldah or Limsa better? I know it's kind of s ubjective question, but am still curious. :)

I personally really liked Limsa, but Ul'dah is also pretty good. Gridania is really the worst of the three cities to start in.

ED:

Grondoth posted:

How are Gridanians assholes? They were described as isolationist and a bit xenophobic, but as a Conjurer they never seemed all that bad. They're weird, because of all the elemental appeasement they do so that the forest doesn't swallow them whole, but they seemed like pretty decent people to me. Is there a horrible dark side where they cast people out and they turn into bandits because there's no other way to survive?

Wait'll you get to the Little Ala Mhigo part of the story. They really reveal themselves as xenophobic fucks there.

Ed2: They also have a zero tolerance policy with poachers (which shows up in one of the quarrymill quests) where they dole out punishments far worse than the crime being committed. Between that and Toto-rak, I get the impression the Gridanians maintain their peaceful way of life by locking up or throwing out anybody who doesn't match up to that way of life.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 17, 2013

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It puzzles me why more Arcanists don't cross-class the DOTs from the other two disciples of magic.

It's free DPS and both your jobs are able to use them.

Aero is useful at the lower levels, but by the time you start learning a few more spells it's largely useless, as Bio does the same thing but better. There's no reason to not cross-class thunder, though.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

SpaceDrake posted:

Ul'dah is very big on veneration of Nald'thal, since a lot of death happens out in the desert and the twin-faced nature of Nald'thal reflects the sort of duality of Ul'dah itself.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's because Nald'thal is the god of commerce and is depicted as a merchant. Between him being depicted as a merchant and his symbol being an ancient form of currency, it's no wonder the people of Ul'dah like him. The "overseer of the underworld" thing is just the icing on the cake.

And how fond you are of the god of navigation depends entirely on how much time you spend at sea.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Cabbit posted:

1.) How much do the differences in starting statistics matter by the endgame? Is a Hellguard Archer going to be noticeably less useful than, say, whatever the hell those cat people are called (I'm assuming they have high dexterity, because cat people)?

Starting stats don't matter. I think somebody said that by level 50, the difference is less than 1% between races.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

THE PWNER posted:

I still get rested exp logging out in the city proper. Maybe inns give more? I hope so. I keep forgetting to use them.

Nope. Cities give you no rested exp, as they don't count as sanctuaries. You only get rested exp if you log out in a sanctuary (any non-city Aetheryte location), or in an inn room. You can tell because there's no moon icon underneath your experience bar when you're in a city.

Anyways, I just got summoner and it's pretty loving awesome.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

THE PWNER posted:

Weird, I have 1/4th of a bar of rested right now. Must be from afking in towns or something.

You gain rested exp passively so long as you're in a sanctuary, so if you spend any amount of time in a sanctuary (which you will), you'll gain rested experience.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

goldjas posted:

So, finally got this game, and a question. Is there any reason to do Leves specifically(even achievements?) or are they basically for an alternate to FATEs when your out of regular/story quests to do?

Leves are more reliable than fates and are a good way to get experience and gil at lower levels, if you don't feel like waiting for fates to spawn. Grand Company leves also give you seals for beating them, so you can do that if you feel so inclined.

Non-battlecraft leves, on the other hand, are pretty much necessary for leveling sub-classes. Especially if you turn in HQ items.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

I dunno what the gently caress any of you are talking about, I just move with a controller.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Been putting it off due to other poo poo, but I'm gonna try running Longstop soon. Anybody got any suggestions on how to not act like a total idiot while running it?

Also if there are any other summoners using controllers, it'd be neat if you could post your hotbar set-ups. Managing all of my skills is easily one of the most mind-bogglingly difficult parts of the game for me so far.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

So is there a magic DPS version of that armor, or can I just skip all that bullshit and continue on my merry way?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Balls.

I'll get a piece and see how it looks on me, and if I don't like it I'll just grind to the next armor set level.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

goldjas posted:

I find it weird that right after the first forced storyline instance (though it was pretty easy), BAM, the storyline throws another instance at you straight away.

I see these being a problem a month or two from now when there aren't a bunch of low level people running the early dungeons as well, then people who start the game up in a few months could very possibly not be able to continue the story(heck the queue for the first dungeon took me good half hour or so and I'm playing a tank).

The three dungeon gauntlet has been a problem for a little while, but I imagine they'll add some incentive for more experienced players to run it at some point. Also keep in mind that there's another wave of people just coming in now that digital sales are open.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Aerox posted:

I've rushed through the story so far, skipped most of the cutscenes, watched TV through most of the quest dialogue, and now kind of regret it at level 36. I'm hesitant to start over because I've leveled almost every other class to level 15, and done a bunch of crafting.

Is it worth it to start over, or does most of the good stuff come later anyway?

Well the cutscenes you can watch in the inn, but you can't see the quest text anymore. Shame, since some of it is pretty funny and well-written.

You also missed the awesome cutscene of Gaius hamming it up, so there's that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AoLVVVe4nA

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Alright, fess up. Which one of you is "Praise Tanaka"?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Man, the stuff with Drest was pretty sad. Dude wants to go home, but he's got no home to return to. :smith:

:allears:

I made the perfect macro to describe my experiences with Fates that go wrong.

The writing in this game is still really good.

This turned into a low-budget horror film all of a sudden.

:3: Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :3:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Just a reminder to summoners that pets will interrupt sleep if you don't redirect them. I learned this the hard way on Brayflox last night, but the white mage was really nice and understanding and just kinda took it in stride. Pretty good party in general, and being able to learn the boss's strategy from a distance was really cool.

Anybody got any tips for Titan? Gonna do that next.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

I don't know if I hate this or love this. Seconding the motion to put it in the OP, though.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Or you, the Summoner, could take it upon yourself to hotkey the Obey and Sic command use the appropriate one to open each fight. If you tell them to Obey, they will use only their auto attack unless strictly ordered to do otherwise and won't gently caress up Sleep.

Having to order my pet to attack every enemy I want it to attack gets tedious and boring very quickly, which is why I just have it attack whatever I'm attacking. So long as you know the strategy for the fight, though, you shouldn't have any problem ordering it to lay off the boss and attack the adds so it doesn't interrupt sleep.

This discussion does bring up an interesting question I've been meaning to ask, though: When should I be using Bane? Because it obviously seems most useful when fighting groups, but I'm usually trying to focus fire on what the tank is attacking. Wouldn't spreading dots to all nearby enemies just generate a ton of enmity? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm still new to all of this stuff.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

goldjas posted:

I finished all 3 of the forced dungeons, all of which were really easy (I was the tank though I guess), there any more forced dungeons like that I need to be wary of?

Let's see, I'm at 34 or so and so far I've had to do...

• Ifrit (not a dungeon, just a battle)
  • The Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak (Dungeon)
  • Hakkue Manor (Dungeon)
  • Brayflox's Longstop (Dungeon, skill-check for Tanks)

And about to do Titan. I haven't done any optional dungeons, and I don't think I missed any other story dungeons. There are apparently quite a few more to come after that.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Except for the Garleans. All of the Garleans are amazing :allears:

Gaius can ham it up forever and I'll love it.

jerichojx posted:

Please. No one is actually listening to her.

Everybody is looking at her stripperific outfit.

Her butt-cape thing has a hole for her butt, therefore defeating the purpose of a butt-cape. Her entire outfit confuses me and I hate it.

Ed:

Kheldarn posted:

Her voice is fine. Lalafell voices are the worst. Just like the Lalafell!

No, you are the worst.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

According to twitter, the worlds which have currently received cactuar earrings are:
  • Cerberus
  • Exodus
  • Moogle
  • Atomos
  • Gungnir
  • Belias
Here's hoping Excalibur wins soon.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

LibbyM posted:

The one you're registered too could be on the opposite end of the world.

Yup. Thankfully the world is small and travel gets easier at higher levels. Until you get your mount, just favorite the three major cities and get very familiar with chocobokeeps.

Ed: And if you wanna ask for a raise, make sure you're nice about it. Healers and summoners can just ignore you if you're rude.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Just finished Titan for the first time. Holy poo poo that was a hard (but fun) fight. Whoever said Ifrit was fun, Ifrit ain't got nothing on Titan. His boss themes are also amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5q-GJHoSHc

And now I control him.

Also, people weren't kidding when they said the story picks up after Titan. It also gets really loving dark, really fast.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

So I've basically been listening to the Titan theme non-stop since I beat him, and I'm starting to wonder: what the hell do the lyrics mean? I can make out "there's no salvation for the sons of man" but that's about it.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

victrix posted:

Th... there's relevant english lyrics :stare:

You bet your rear end there is. I was also able to make out something about the lord of crags and somebody on gamespot thinks the opening bit might be three rounds of "who goes there?" followed by "Titan!"

So yeah, I'm really curious what they're saying.

Ed: The song, for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5q-GJHoSHc

Ed2: Here's what the guy on gamespot got. I don't think it's accurate, but some parts do seem to fit in.

quote:

Who goes there?
Who goes there?
Who goes there?
Titan!
*repeat x6*

*Can't make out what he's saying here*

Get out of the way!/*can't understand what he's shouting in the background*
*repeat x7*

?????
With a heart of dark, and a stare that's cold.
Cold are the hands that cracked your soul
????? undone in the goddamn cold.
Tempered in the rooms of the mountain's hall
With the rage reflecting ?????
Show them the burnin' of the blazing sun
Round them up for annihilation!

*repeat x6*

*Guitar solo*

Into the dark of the indistinct,
With the corpse of the land on a filthy spike.
????? stood before you,
????? just for fools.
Kneel at the order, your lord commands!
There's no salvation for the suns of man.
The skies will tremble and the earth will quake,
From the summoning walls no one escapes!

*repeat x6*

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

cat doter posted:

I bought this game. I have it. What do I do now? How does one Final Fantasy 14?

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/start_ffxiv/

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

cat doter posted:

I did that! It was great. Then the game disconnected. Then I was sad.

They just started maintenance on a bunch of servers, so maybe the one you were on was affected?

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/cb166b25df936874888b5c955f2eba7f60667e41

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

UberN00ber posted:

Oh the cut scenes :/. When does questing become more viable than killing poo poo/doing FATES? I have been doing quests which seem to ALL be fetch quests and get a sweet 50exp from completing them; whereas if I go out into the wild and kill a ladybug I get 55exp and can do this a lot faster... I don't get it.

Well I'm currently getting a few hundred exp for killing poo poo and I'm getting upwards of 9000 experience for completing quests, so it probably won't take too long.

E:

cat doter posted:

There was a maintenance notice when I started playing, so probably. I wonder if playing on a japanese server would yield better pings since I'm playing in Australia. Although I can't speak Japanese so there's no real point.

It seemed ok though, what little I did play of it. Controller support is surprisingly decent, since I was playing on my TV. Any chance there's a way to scale the UI up? The text/UI was a little small when I had it set to 1080p. I don't see so good. My eyes suck.

Start -> System -> Hud layout. I think that's where it was.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

victrix posted:

Specifically, grab a UI element and hit Ctrl-Home, you can toggle between three sizes. Not the best, but at least its there.

Selecting a UI element and clicking one of the controller sticks will also do it, although I can't remember which one at the moment. I can't check, either.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Tarranon posted:

I've been enjoying my first week in eorzea but I'm starting to miss the bright colors and varied locals of gw2. But I don't miss *playing* gw2. I hear the Lominsa Zones are nice but so far I only have desert and forest. It's pretty! They're just not very imaginative.

I suppose it is a bit annoying having a specific ecosystem for each region, but I guess that's the price to pay for a smaller world. One thing I do like about this game in particular, though, is how each region is fairly varied even within its own ecosystem. For instance, these were all taken in La Noscea (the Limsa region):

I've heard Coerthas is also supposed to be very pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

New dev blog post about TGS: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/blog/000485.html

Apparently Yoshi-p was getting in on Titan:

And somebody likes Minfilia a bit too much:

quote:

Check out this awesome wall decoration at the event featuring the Scions of the Seventh Dawn.
Looks like some vandal scribbled his name on Minfilia's abdomen though...
Need to have security look into that.

:gonk:

• Locked thread