Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
There is space on Exodus in the goon guild and I've never seen a queue bigger than single digits to get in, so... I guess so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

So why are people so up on Fishing? Not having tried it, I've been assuming it's just like Mining and Botany, which are soul-draining hells. Is that not so for Fishing?

You can just stand in one place for fishing, plus if you have a gamepad you don't even have to give the game focus. I watch movies while fishing, it's great. Controller vibrates when you get a bite so you know when to reel it in.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Was/will this game be available on PS3 via PSN? Plenty of PS3 discs in stock everywhere (and the SE store has PC digital in stock now as well) but PSN only shows the collector's edition as downloadable, and that link is broken to boot.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

the person who tags gets full credit automatically, and everybody else gets credit if they contributed enough.

I abuse the poo poo out of this as a Conjurer in FATEs. It's the least they can do for making the rest of my life a never ending circle of Aero/Stone/Stone/Stone/Stone/Aero...

Anyways random stuff I haven't figured out in fifteen hours of playing: how do you toggle languages? What do all of the icons to the left of monsters' names mean? I hear tell that you can see the threat of your party members (not just your own) in relation to your target somehow - where is this at?

VelociBacon posted:

Fantastic OP. I'm in on Exodus as "Heeeeeeeere's Johnny", I'll apply to the FC.

I wanted to bring something up in case anyone had a solution for this. I'm playing mainly as a tank thus far and I'm finding it really difficult to tab target in cases where there are other tab-targetable things in the distance. Is there a way of adjusting the radius for tabbing? It's frustrating to tanking 2 mobs, guess you're losing threat on the untargeted one, press tab->3 or whatever to switch and throw a shield, and accidentally end up tagging a patrol that was 20 or so feet away. I never had this problem in WoW. I kind of can't wait for a unitbars mod for this game that might show threat without having to have the unit selected. If this exists already please let me know.

You can adjust it to just currently aggro targets, etc. and filter based on whether your weapon is drawn or not. It's under character configuration. Also nice name.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I'm having a very hard time enjoying the cities because of the lack of a map system that shows flow from one area into another on the same page. I can't be the only one that finds them confusing?

The cities are indeed pretty terrible, especially Limsa whatever. It's always such a pain trying to figure out where you need to go, not to mention all the wasted, unused space that is just devoted to making you run farther because immersion or whatever.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Lance Streetman posted:

I actually found Ul'dah to be far worse than Limsa, just because of how much loving space they put between each of the Aethernet crystals. Each entrance to Limsa leads to either an Aethernet crystal, or the Aetheryte plaza, and the crystals are all placed in such a way that getting to your destination from one is fairly painless. Getting around in Ul'dah, on the other hand, far more difficult because none of the loving crystals are in places that make sense, and they don't have a crystal near the market (unless you count the one on the other side of the loading screen).

And if you're not using Aethernet to get around then get the gently caress on that.

This only works if you memorize what exit is near what crystal or pull up the map and check first. They could definitely make the Aethernet menu a bit more informative, or just pull up a map (or two!) and let you click where you want to go, which would probably be the best option.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Verranicus posted:

Quoting myself since I didn't get an answer. Can you get a code for the PS3 version and just download it, or do you need a physical disk?

Last I checked a few hours ago, FFXIV still wasn't available for download on PSN, so the answer is no, you'll need to find a disc somewhere. I'm not sure how you'd download it with just the code anyways since you need to get it from the Playstation Store, unless it's one of those redeemable code things, which I kind of doubt.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

hi liter posted:

I'm having a real bitch of a time downloading the game client through amazong. If I have my CD key, can I get started with any client download? If so, is there a place to get the client?

Also, did anyone else have headaches when buying through amazon?

If you have a SE account setup and have entered your key into it, just download the client from SE's website and let it download the game. It was relatively fast for me (2mb/second) and my internet is terrible.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

I really wish totally separate servers would go away entirely in MMOs. At launch I tried to get all my friends on Excalibur, but once it got locked and the launch got borked, everybody was like I GOTTA PLAY NOW!!! and went their separate ways and joined all different servers.

And once you get on a server and find people you like, you don't want to move. Especially when they charge $25 to do it. So I have tons of local people who I can't play with.

And I'm not the only one in this boat. I have people who are like "you need to reroll on Goblin! Or Cactaur and play with me!" But I already have a few other irl friends playing with me on Exodus, and I don't want to leave them hanging either. It's frustrating as all hell.

But then how will we be able to charge people $25 for a simple, automated transfer between database tables?!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

victrix posted:

The lack of incentive for re-running dungeons is a major issue, but it's incredibly easily addressed. Water cooler ideas tossed around here and on every other forum I've seen on the game and the official forums all share similar ideas for fixing it:

1) Give daily dungeon rewards for doing leveling/storyline dungeons

2) Give extra dungeon rewards in the form of tokens for level capped players doing leveling/storyline dungeons

3) Give an even bigger boost for everyone else in the party if there are ANY first timers in the party

4) Have a daily call to arms for a specific dungeon that gives extra rewards

5) Give cosmetic armor tokens that let you complete dungeon armor sets from that specific dungeon

There are an absolute shitload of ways to encourage people to rerun low level and story content. I'm sure they'll get around to that eventually, they have bigger issues to deal with at the moment.

So Guild Wars 2 basically? Can't say that I disagree or anything.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

babydonthurtme posted:

AFAIK, you don't get any loot from mobs if you aren't the one that tags them (their bar turns red instead of purple).

I'm like 99% sure that is not correct. I remember getting lots of items from purple mobs in FATEs well before I figured out that you can just tag poo poo and let everyone else do the work.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I'm probably wrong then :v:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Demonicpoodle posted:

Okayyy that's about enough of that. On the PS3, there seems to be some button combination that turns off your HUD completely. Oh, and it also doesn't let you type anything, so you can't log out or get to the menu! Can someone shed some light on this? It's really lovely. I'm convinced it has something to do with the L2 button and the left joystick (L3). It's happened twice and those seem to be involved every time.

Another interesting 'quirk' of the PS3 version is if you logout of the game, as in going back to the login menu instead of exiting, there is no way to exit the game without manually restarting the PS3 or logging back into the game then logging back out and selecting 'exit'. The home button doesn't work ("That operation is not permitted."), pressing all the triggers and select and start or whatever doesn't work, nothing. You have to physically get up, walk over to the PS3, and press reset. I can't fathom the mental gymnastics the guy who programmed that functionality had to go through to figure that this setup was a good idea.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Kibner posted:

Hold down the "Home" button on the PS3 controller, and click "quit game" or "shut down" (can't remember which option is available).
Neither option is available because the only response is "That operation is not permitted." It's like one of those DVDs where you can't jump to the top menu during the previews, except the previews are the login application and there's no fast forward button aside from logging back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
There is probably just a disconnect there, especially for people who are still playing through one healer or tank class/job and haven't experienced the long wait times of DPS. If I hadn't been reading this thread I'd have no idea that queues were actually that bad since all I do is heal or tank.

• Locked thread