Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Can we start taking bets on what celebrity will make Tom's store a national brand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Enjoy this no context preview image

I love so much that the P&R guys put as much thought into their townsfolk as the regular cast, similar to The Simpsons. They all have their own unique character to them, it's really impressive.

The townspeople often have the best lines of the episode.

"But isn't all food bad for you? I've been eating lasagna and muffins every day of my life for 40 years and I feel terrible."

"Ham and mayonnaise!"

"I think we should tax all bad things. Like racism and women's vaginas."

El Tortuga fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 15, 2013

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

There's also "Pawnee Zoo", where Ron says the Pawnee gay club, The Bulge, is behind his house. If that's still true after what's been established about where Ron lives in later seasons, then that's one club, gay or straight, that I do not want to go to.

Also, I can't remember when, but I'm pretty sure we've seen Jerry's name as "Jerry" written somewhere before the Gary-reveal.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

So, we're just not going to talk about how loving weird Aubrey Plaza was during that video? She refused to come out of tree and insisted on only doing bird calls. I'd say she's gone off the deep-end, looking at this and when she rushed the stage while Will Farrel was getting an award at some MTV thing, except she keep doing really great work in everything. If it's all an act, it's a hell of an act.

Also, she and Anna Kendrick are road-tripping to Mexico. I hope they make it back. :ohdear:

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

FadingChord posted:

Aubrey Plaza's definitely weird, but I'd be surprised if at least 90% of it wasn't calculated. She's offbeat in a way that complements her comedy style and acting style and feeds into the characters that she plays. Aziz Ansari's pretty similar in a less offbeat way: most of his standup could be performed by Tom Haverford (who would be just as happy hanging out with Kanye and drinking with Jay-Z as he would be talking about how marriage is a weird social construct).

Yes, but Aubrey Plaza rushed the stage while Will Ferrel received some MTV award with "The To-Do List" written across her chest and tried to take the award from Ferrel, later being kicked out of the show. I'm in no way relating Aubrey Plaza to April Ludgate in this instance. I mean, Plaza is clearly a little weird, because how else could she make April the way she is. That part I gotta agree with.

Drifter posted:

Nobody talks about how weird Plaza was for the same reason nobody talks about how weird the actor for Perd Hapley is. Because yes, it is all an act. And it's funny (but not as funny as the TV show :allears:) you could think otherwise.

Are you implying Perd Hapley's actor acts like that off of the show too?

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Drifter posted:

I'm suggesting Aubrey Plaze has created a Hollywood persona for herself - and maybe it emphasizes certain traits she already has, but to say that any particular extremes in behavior are noteworthy is a little ridiculous.

Perd's actor "acts" weird on the show, Aubrey "acts" weird elsewhere because it's probably fun and she's still developing her career as an actress. It's not noteworthy beyond saying 'hey, that's pretty funny.'

Her being in a tree during that interview wasn't weird at all. because they wrote her to do that.

As for her rushing the stage in whatever, so what? If you treat Hollywood as anything more than a WWE show when things get weird you're not really understanding the nature of the business. Sure people can act wild and crazy,because they get positively reinforced, but unless they're spiraling out of control through addiction is it really appropriate to say omg so weird it's concerning?

Yeah, I don't know what you're trying to say. Aubrey Plaza acts weird because she is weird, that's my point. Of course she has cultivated this to be more extreme when she's being interviewed. I didn't say what she's done is concerning and she needs help, what I'm saying is that it's loving weird that she ran on stage with a movie plug written across her chest, silently and awkwardly tried to take an award away from Will Ferrel, and then left.

Also, I doubt NBC told her to spend her interview in the tree and refuse to answer any questions.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

When Matt Stone and Trey Parker wear dresses, or Jim Carrey shows up as Jim Morrison, fine, but if Aubrey Plaza acts a little kooky? gently caress her. She's weird.

Sexist much?

I'm glad you were able to get "men can be funny and strange, but women can't" from my posts, I was worried it was too subtle. Is it easy jumping to conclusions, or do you need to stretch first?

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

So you think Aubrey Plaza was also on LSD, or what?

Possibly.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

anotherone posted:

This sounds really bad.

This sounds a lot more at home on Adult Swim rather than TBS.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

I can't wait 'till it has 20 times the ratings of Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and we're all complaining about how the bad cop show is the one that isn't getting cancelled.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine just won a Golden Globe for best comedy and lead actor, and it's Fox, so I don't think it's going anywhere. This other show on the other hand... with the possible exception of My Boys (maybe), TBS original shows aren't often, what's the word? Funny.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Klungar posted:

Not sure you can really call that a 'TBS original', since it was originally from a different channel.

Yeah, that was what I meant. Cougar Town is loving amazing.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Way to be obnoxious dude. Parks and Rec is a show which frequently makes social commentary and is literally about a prospective politician, I really don't think it's unreasonable to bring up the real world comparisons they'd be inviting if they made probably their most innocent and kind-hearted character a member of an institution which is at best, heavily controversial, it certainly wouldn't be fitting to the optimistic, humanistic comedy Parks and Rec is.

No, he's right, that'd be a terrible angle for Parks & Rec. Yeah, we get corruption, but this isn't The Wire. I don't think corrupt cops can be portrayed as comically as what Jam or Sweetums does. And plus, like it's been said, all of the cops in Pawnee are doofuses who haven't been shown as anything other than "good cops".

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah beyond the pilot they never really acknowledge the camera.

There is the odd opening to season three which begins with a voice-over going "Leslie Knope is blah, blah, blah...", which they've never done anything like again.

fariz posted:

That was a really sweet series finale.

Don't be an rear end. Parks and Rec is very close to getting another season. Unless you're British, then stop calling seasons series.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

What are you going to tell me next vaccines don't cause autism?

You mean you don't already have old high school friends on Facebook doing that for you? Must be nice.

That DICK! posted:

Just got caught up. I'm literallygoing to mourn the loss of my favorite character.

I'm apparently in the minority, because I did not find Craig funny at all.

Ugh. Because of you I need to go lie down for fourty-five minutes. No, an hour. A full hour.

El Tortuga fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 27, 2014

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

By now they should considering settling for Brian Doyle Murray.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Ishamael posted:

Maybe you are thinking of 30 Rock, when they spoiled Game of Thrones?

I've seen every episode of 30 Rock at least five times and I don't remember a GoT spoiler anywhere. When is this?

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Punch Card posted:

They mentioned a little stuff involving Xaro while GoT was still on season one, but nothing really spoilery from what I remember.

Actually, I found that it's in the second Queen of Jordan episode. Grizz looks up from a book and says (it's a season one spoiler) "Ned Stark is dead!" Huh, so it's a good thing I didn't remember that joke when I finally watched GoT a few months ago.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Zedd posted:

I wonder what amazing performing show they are going to put in it's slow when its over.

I really hope it's some kind of cop procedural. About maybe a young female cop who loses her license and has an immigrant taxi driver transport her. Smells like money.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Zedd posted:

Sounds like that fake show in 30Rock that Jenna featured in. :v:

Yeah, sure... Fake...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

I'm Irish Joe. I don't like anything. But I have the best red text in all of Something Awful.

Fixed that for ya.

• Locked thread