Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
April deciding not to go to Vet school wasn't dropping it, it wrapped up that arc neatly and opened the door to Chris and Ann leaving. I also enjoyed the interactions between the two, especially during the tour.

I liked this episode a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Drifter posted:

How did her not going to vet school wrap it up in preparation for Ann leaving?

Did you miss the scenes with April and Ann driving back and April talking about her gut? And then Ann's conversation with Chris that results in her feeling her gut and proposing that they move to Bloomington?

April's vet arc is wrapped up, we wondered last season where it would go and now we know. Chris and Ann's arc is starting although we know how that will end already.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

OmegaBR posted:

It very much felt like they were changing their minds about her going to school and we can all see why.

Then again April isn't exactly a complicated character, so if she just up and decides not to do something, then that's pretty much it. Maybe we'll see more of her actually working on animal control stuff rather than school stuff (which I had a sneaking suspicion would have eventually included her meeting a guy more like herself amongst all the perky happy animal people and having a relationship crisis with Andy.)

That or Eagleton has a vet school maybe. It'll be interesting to see how they play the introduction of new, maybe permanent cast members. But it'll be great to see how each copes, that's for sure!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Midnight City posted:

Jesus, I thought he was talking about the HBO reference before the meltdown.

HBO joke was even better because Kristen Bell is actually on a Showtime show.

I thought it was a clever line considering you couldn't just substitute "cable TV" for the punchline considering HBO's famous tagline is: It's not TV, it's HBO. It was also a great way to show how completely out of touch the town is.

Pakled posted:

Pawnee probably isn't the fourth fattest town in America anymore! :haw:

They were down to 9th by the end of last season.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Dunder Mifflin is a REAL PAPER COMPANY! It's an actual paper company that exists in real life! You are literally surrounded by "product placement" every second of every day of your life. I do not understand the problem. Having some made up box of cereal marked "FROOTY GLOPS" takes me way out of whatever scene it's in than if it was just a box of fruit loops.

When I see a close up of, say, Tom's phone and it shows the actual iPhone interface, it's normal because I see it EVERY DAY! But when you see something like the made up bullshit they have on Dexter I'm taken right out. And part of the comedy IS the products themselves. Like the HBO joke, or the part where they keep Vining Ron Vining himself trying to get off the grid. It was like in This Is The End, the jokes about the Milky Way are funny specifically BECAUSE it's about a Milky Way, not "a candy bar :geno:".

:argh: Gettin mad about gettin mad about product placement

Wasn't there a huge argument in the This is the End thread about that loving Milky Way? Jesus that was annoying to read but so funny to watch.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

Microsoft's bloated marketing budget is the only thing keeping this show on the air retards.

WRONG. Parks and Rec is what's keeping Microsoft from just collapsing. Its positivity is the center of Redwood morale. Without Parks and Rec, they will cease to exist.

Wandle Cax posted:

That was one of the dumbest discussions i've ever seen. The Milky Way wasn't even product placement, the filmmakers did not receive any money for its inclusion in the film, they chose to use it. Some people are idiots that can't get past the fact that characters in fictional films and TV use and talk about real products.

I wonder how those people functioned for Breaking Bad, especially considering that almost NO ONE gave them money for specifically mentioned or shown products. They just wanted to avoid the bullshit trope of "CIRCLE-Os" cereal.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

Surely this is an outdated method? P&R must have way more viewers on Netflix/Hulu/DVRs than it has had on live airings over the last few years.

The TV Industry is completely outdated and for lack of a better word, stupid.

EDIT: You also underestimate how stupid the American public is.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Filibuster is probably one of my favorite episodes of all time.

The costumes, the puns (Wyatt Ben Can't Jump), Adam Scott was on fire. Just everything involving skates and when he delivers "Maybe we can bring the bathroom to he- No that's a terrible idea." Not to mention I enjoyed Morris' moments and it was fun seeing Don/Ron.

So yeah, I'll watch it a million times more.

"rear end"

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 16, 2013

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I can't believe no one called out the shirt Leslie was wearing while at Jamm's

"You got jammed in the mouth

At Jamm Orthodontics"

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I have to say that Fluoride and Filibuster are probably in my Top 10 Parks & Rec episodes. I was nervous going into this season with the cast changes, but it's really turned out. Also, I loving love Crazy Craig. Can we get GIFs of him?

"I have to go lie down. FOR 45 MINUTES. NO AN HOUR. I HAVE TO GO LIE DOWN FOR A FULL HOUR"

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I'm rewatching seasons 2-5, because the first one is whatevs.

I just realized that Ben is wearing his Letters to Cleo t-shirt after he's resigned in disgrace, and that he picked REM (late 80s, early 90s) for his song for his Claymation. I just love the characterization and consistency. So good.

Oh and even some Eagleton residents from Filibuster! show up in the first Eagleton town meeting after the fence goes up. I think the description of Parks & Rec as a live action Simpsons is accurate, which makes sense considering some of the writers.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 29, 2013

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

GigaPeon posted:

Actually, I went back to Season 2, looking for plot holes...

It was not air tight. In the hunting episode, after it's revealed that Tom didn't have a hunting license, Ron yells at him saying that they're important.

In the recent episode where Ron goes hunting with Donna, she suggests they need a license and they BOTH LAUGH.

I sure hope someone got fired for that boner.

Also in Fancy Party (Season 3), they bring up that Ron has 3 ex-wives, which goes against the common mythology of 2 ex-wives named Tammy at that point.

Morris is the writer Joe Mande, other cameos from writers include Harris Wittels as Harris the Animal Control guy and Megan Amram as one half of the hipster couple trying to buy Ron's cabin. Mike Scully has also played a citizen or two.

The part in Filibuster where the teenaged manager yells at Morris though is loving great.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I think there's a chance that Mona Lisa is better than Jean Ralphio.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

If she's also fired from the Parks job she can go take over Animal Control and the show can go on another 5 years with Brett and Harris.

Animal Control was absorbed into Parks, remember? But I really do hope we get some more Harris this season. His running phrase of "down to clown" is great, specifically when Tom tries to hook him and Ann up in Operation Ann, and when he interviews for his job back in Animal Control.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Macaluso posted:

I love that Andy, the dumbest character on the show, gets all his jokes and thinks they are hilarious. Him bursting out laughing at all the accountant guy's jokes is so good

I've missed Andy this season, so I was quite pumped to see him in Filibuster. I think that's one thing about this season, Ann and Andy have been absent and that throws off the dynamic. But it does mean we get CRAZY Craig. OK. I need to lie down. For 45 minutes. NO. AN HOUR.

EDIT: I NEED TO LIE DOWN FOR A FULL HOUR

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Dec 3, 2013

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

WHO HASN'T GAY THOUGHTS!?

Still one of my favorite lines, glad they brought it up.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

He had Cones of Dunshire and the accounting office and his dinner with Chris so he hasn't been sidelined as badly this season as last. But yeah characters are turning into cliches hard, I am really really tired of Tom alternating between "crappy business" and "girl that Tom thinks is to hot for him" plots.

Cliches? I think they're being their characters. They progress, they stagnate, they have goals. When have Tom's goals not been "Dood w/ an awesome girlfriend" and "Business Mogul?"

If they were turning into cliches, I would have Donna talking about her Benz every episode, and I would have Leslie hyper no matter what. We finally got to see what Leslie's bottom is in "Recall." I feel it's quite life like in the sense of two steps forward, one step back. Especially when talking about government and bureaucracies. Keep in mind that we'll have Chris and Ann leaving in a few episodes, things are going to be shaken up.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I saw two episodes of this on a plane and concur, it's worth a watch. Andy Samberg is the lead, so there's another Parks tie-in.

The bigger tie-in is that it has Chelsea Peretti who is a former writer for Parks.

P&R has to really gently caress up the back half of this season for me to start to wonder about a downward slide.

People are nostalgic for season 2 and 3, but they had episodes that lulled too.

I actually am not the biggest fan of the episode where Larry drops his breakfast burrito and injures himself, I found Andy Samberg's shouty character to be grating. Oh and Galentine's Day with that loving lawyer character.

Not every episode can be amazing, and let's all remember this is nowhere near post-season 5 Office antics.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

The Larry joke is the perfect example of how far Parks and Rec has fallen.

How so? I find it to be in line with their treatment of him.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

ZDar Fan posted:

I also don't find Craig funny at all, so I may just have the wrong perspective on this show.

I love Crazy Craig, and I hope Billy becomes a more frequent guest.

In regards to Jerry/Garry/Larry: Ron said it best, he is both the schlemiel and schlemazel. He is literally a walking joke at work, but to balance it you see that he has this insanely awesome life outside of work. It's why Ben is so taken aback, he doesn't know about Jerry's penis and all he's been exposed to is this dopey old guy. And the Parks people aren't soulless, look at the episode with April, Tom, and Andy trying to get into the party. They realize what dicks they've been to a nice guy, so they end up giving him a generous cash gift. Sure, he ends up locked out for a moment or two but still... that's just Jerry's life

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think it might be a case of 'being a Billy Eichner fan makes you a fan of Craig' a lot easier than 'never heard of Billy Ecihner, but a fan of Craig'. Watch some Billy on the Streets and minds might get changed... that show is just too much fun.

I actually had no idea who he was so I started looking into it and I was like "Oh my, Billy Eichner is awesome"

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Bashez posted:

I don't think things that aren't funny are made funny by yelling. Billy on the street is okay in small doses. Craig doesn't say funny things.

"That is so freaking cute that I need to go lay down for 45 minutes. NO. AN HOUR. A FULL HOUR"

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Bashez posted:

A perfect example of something I don't think is funny and is only expected to get by because of how it's being yelled.

But delivery is an important part of comedy. Ron wouldn't be nearly as fun if he was giddy and spoke quickly. It's not that it's yelled, I just like how deadly serious he is and then he stops in the middle to adjust the length of his nap.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

FadingChord posted:

I thought this week's episode was really good. Maybe not, like, top five material, but probably my favorite of the season so far besides Ben's plotline in Cones of Dunshire. I thought Emergency Response, Bailout, and Swing Vote were all solid enough episodes last season, though, and they had the same writer, so maybe I just like Joe Mande?

Joe is loving great. I was excited for this episode after he tweeted that he "wrote" it. Anyone saying that P&R is on a slide can kiss it. This episode was great. I liked that the A story and B story were pretty even and allowed us to spend time with the characters, without it necessarily being forced.

Also, fun-fact: I know Joe from years back.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Chamberk posted:

I'm pretty sure they abandoned an Office-documentary style after a few seasons. Hell, it wasn't ever a 'documentary' to the degree The Office was.

The "Andy at a kid's party" story also kinda reminded me of another show - Happy Endings - but I still enjoyed it. Burt Macklin investigating stinky feet for the FBI was pretty funny.

And April managing him is a great callback. I think if anything Andy should end up being a musician to some level, and April as his manager.

Honestly, when Parks and Rec ends I think I'd want everyone to have moved on to something they really want to do. But keep Ron there, because his wish is to burn it down from the inside.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

pksage posted:

Really proud that Parks just dropped Ron's baby in the way they did. Not only is it the most Ron Swanson way to do it, but it avoids the always-annoying "HEY LOOK, HEY, IT'S A BABY GUYS, HEY VIEWERS CARE ABOUT THIS BABY" episode.

I was just thinking about this. It absolutely fits Ron's MO and avoids the bullshit delivery episode.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I like Craig as a character because I view him as Eagleton's Leslie Knope. He seems to care about his job and what he does as opposed to the apathy exhibited in the past from April, Donna, or Tom. But his energy is twisted and manic. If anything, I wish there was a more Craig-centric plot so we could see more about him and what drives him to behave like that.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

FadingChord posted:

It's really weird to watch season one episodes and think that Chris Pratt wound up being the breakout star of the show.

I guess Andy finally pulled one over on Mark. :3:

Actually, bringing that up I think it gave a lot of visibility to most of the cast members. I mean, Amy had SNL but Aziz was only on Human Giant prior to it, Adam Scott had Party Down but they weren't stores. I think pretty much everyone except Retta and Jim Heir got something out of it.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Frostwerks posted:

Could be worse man. I live in Florida.

A Parks and Rec set in Phoenix. It's a completely dark and depressing comedy, if you could call it that.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

The Red Queen posted:

EDIT: Or another election plot line working only because Leslie has some big financial backers and realizes she's the Bobby Newport in the scenario.

Bobby Newport was the "villain" he was, not because he was rich but because he was ignorant, didn't really want the job, and the money gave him a big upper hand. Leslie with money would still just be Leslie, except with you know... money.

Also, I miss Jamm and seeing him a few episodes back was great.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Craig is a great character. I just rewatched through most of the 6th season, and he's not even that loud. I think they may have turned up the volume recently but he really is just that passionate. Also, what's the difference between Craig and Chris? A part of their humor is derived from how they speak. The issue is that Craig has not been fleshed out. He's just there and I think it's a disservice to him. I really would like an episode to be shown where his passion for the Parks department is actually pretty close to Leslie, he just doesn't want to step on her toes based on how she's acted in the past.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I think what helped too was that Ann's pregnancy was more about her trying to get pregnant and the re-ignition of her relationship with Chris. They only had a minor sub-plot of the "Oh I'm so pregnant." Although I just realized we might get to see Leslie trying to run to an emergency and then having to stop because she's having to pee or something.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

The Red Queen posted:

Honestly I could see the baby being born as more of a ploy to bring their respective parents back into the picture. What happened to Leslie's mom anyway? When is the last time we saw her?

I think the last time we saw Ben's parents.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

It's just a natural evolution of relationships, along with aspirations in life. Leslie's love life has always been a part of the show. Mark Brandanowitz, the lawyer, various other dates. There was the episode centered around her and Ann on a test date to make sure that she didn't screw up with Dave. One of my favorite talking heads is Tom describing the nickname he gives things, an episode where HE AND LESLIE GO ON A DATE.

Eventually she was going to find someone that she was compatible with and fall in love. What do people do eventually? Get married. What do they sometimes do later by purpose or by accident? Start a family.

This show has been about a group of people and their lives and their efforts to improve the city of Pawnee. It's not just about Leslie, and I think these last few episodes especially have been great.

There have been a few misses this season but I don't think the sky is falling the way people think it is. Also, I can only imagine what they're gonna do for Leslie's body as she gets closer to birth.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Muslim Wookie posted:

This episode was stunning and the fact that y'all were freaking out in this thread about the pregnancy thing and talking like you were experts and predicting the end of the show only to be so thoroughly loving owned was the cherry on top.

Yeah, I was going to state this in a much less eloquent way. It wasn't the most solid season they've had but you still have standouts like Cones of Dunshire, the finale, Fluoride, and Prom. The whole production is solid. Good writing is part of it, but the actors know their characters as well and I think everyone is incredibly invested in making Parks the best it can be. I don't think the same can be said of The Office or HIMYM (which admittedly I've never watched but I read the finale and Jesus, what a terrible loving ending). I would agree that the 7th season should be the last because they've pushed things ahead enough that the writers can do ANYTHING. Maybe we get a season as a prologue to that moment, maybe an episode or two, maybe nothing and we pick up right where we left off.

I'm not aware of any other sitcom that pulled a time jump like this, so I'm not sure what to expect. I think it will be good though. The writers are not afraid to take things in a different direction. Also, I love that Gerry had his name changed again!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I'm watching the producer's cut and the extended footage for the Cones of Dunshire is awesome. "Come to my office, we're gonna cut your hair!"

EDIT: Just noticed that Yo La Tengo, which someone said played Bobby Knight Ranger (also, the chair throwing at the end was great), is on the chart for the Unity Concert. I think they improvised the BKR joke, that's awesome.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

grilldos posted:

If the tail end of last season was any indication, kinda both at the same time.

They lost some really good writers, man. I'm worried.

Who'd they lose?

• Locked thread