Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Yes, maybe I need to think outside the box - shield walls (i.e. tall pylons with energy fields between them), Battletech-style colony dropships, comms towers, etc. is a good catch. The LazyForger research buildings (which are those I've got) are pretty great, because they come with walls, towers, etc.that I can arrange into line (to represent the edge of a larger facility) or as. a central objective/etc.

I do think I need to fart around with some cliffs/steppe-style hills - chucking books and plates under the terrain mat works to an extent, but I think there's a degree of stylisation required in sci-fi games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Oh I clearly missed the vertical aspect! In that case what about something like those massive satellite dishes used to look into deep space? Those are never around populated areas.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

And could be a military objective for valuable data!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You could also do a dried out riverbed or recessed shoreline. You'd have a slope with buildings and ruins at the top and naval wreckage, coral, sea monster bones, and mud at the bottom.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Did a little road + wasteland test. Would love feedback. I think it's good but not as good as it could be. I'm not in love with the cracks in the road to be honest but not sure how I could do it better. I think the asphalt can also can be improved: I tried to make it dusty and dirty but I think it could be better.

And a pic with my Gaslands car:

E: I don't care that the asphalt isn't perfectly straight. This is a test for the effects rather than anything else. On the final piece I'm going to do that kind of stuff better.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Asphalt should not be perfectly straight, this is the apocalypse. That looks fantastic.

Edit: sepia wash maybe? Everything looks great after a sepia wash.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

a7m2 posted:

Did a little road + wasteland test. Would love feedback. I think it's good but not as good as it could be. I'm not in love with the cracks in the road to be honest but not sure how I could do it better. I think the asphalt can also can be improved: I tried to make it dusty and dirty but I think it could be better.

E: I don't care that the asphalt isn't perfectly straight. This is a test for the effects rather than anything else. On the final piece I'm going to do that kind of stuff better.

I think it looks very good!

The only thing I might look at is that the cracks in the road make it look like the asphalt is very thin or sitting on top of the same ground/material on the side of the road. I imagine the intention was to get it to look like the sand filled it in over time. I would consider either making the holes in the road look like the underlayment of asphalt roads, so darker and more coarse terrain, and add a smaller amount of the ground color.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I think it looks very good!

The only thing I might look at is that the cracks in the road make it look like the asphalt is very thin or sitting on top of the same ground/material on the side of the road. I imagine the intention was to get it to look like the sand filled it in over time. I would consider either making the holes in the road look like the underlayment of asphalt roads, so darker and more coarse terrain, and add a smaller amount of the ground color.

I bought some cork board so I'll be able to make the cracks deeper. I don't have it yet so I agree that the cracks aren't that great. You're right about my intention wrt the sand but you're totally right that's a betterr way to go.

Jonny Nox posted:

Asphalt should not be perfectly straight, this is the apocalypse. That looks fantastic.

Edit: sepia wash maybe? Everything looks great after a sepia wash.

You're right actually. I'll take care to keep it a little rough. I might try a selective sepia wash to make things look more dirty!

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Same opinions as the others, asphalt is supposed to be uneven on the side. Over long use, the edges wear away non-uniformly and have a crumbly uneven edge. So, that's fine!

The cracks being the same color as the rest makes the road look like a thin covering over the ground, seconding/thirding/fourthing the suggestion to make the cracks darker and not the same as the reddish board.

Looks good otherwise!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

a7m2 posted:

It looks pretty good. What is it made out of?

That is certainly good enough to call it done, but if you want to improve, here are my thoughts:

1: The lines are pretty thick but it's hard to paint smaller ones. I got a Uni Posca 0.7mm White Paint Pen for my lines and it's been pretty nice. https://www.amazon.com/Posca-Extra-Marker-White-PC1M-1/dp/B001B2OKHU
2: The cracks look sort of like a bolt of lightning, but that doesn't really match many images I see; it'll break in huge heaves, even shallow grid-ish forms, or interconnected spider web looking impacts. It might help to say "What caused this crack?"
3: You might want to favor the dust in places where tires wouldn't run and disturb it. On this one-lane road, you'd expect more dust to accumulate on the shoulders and in the middle. Obviously, this will be uneven and vary, but that'd be a general rule.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

It looks pretty good. What is it made out of?

That is certainly good enough to call it done, but if you want to improve, here are my thoughts:

1: The lines are pretty thick but it's hard to paint smaller ones. I got a Uni Posca 0.7mm White Paint Pen for my lines and it's been pretty nice. https://www.amazon.com/Posca-Extra-Marker-White-PC1M-1/dp/B001B2OKHU
2: The cracks look sort of like a bolt of lightning, but that doesn't really match many images I see; it'll break in huge heaves, even shallow grid-ish forms, or interconnected spider web looking impacts. It might help to say "What caused this crack?"
3: You might want to favor the dust in places where tires wouldn't run and disturb it. On this one-lane road, you'd expect more dust to accumulate on the shoulders and in the middle. Obviously, this will be uneven and vary, but that'd be a general rule.

Thin plank of (balsa I believe) wood I had lying around. The asphalt is AK Asphalt terrain, the desert is fine sand, grout, water, a bit of paint, and a few tiny rocks/very rough sand. Painted, washed, and drybrushed.
I plan to use a piece of 2mm cork board since I can make the cracks and especially potholes deeper, and can also break off pieces of asphalt on the side of the road and create rough terrain (good since this is going to be mainly used for Gaslands)

The lines are pretty thick and one side more than the other because I taped it off by eye. I'll measure it next time, should be a lot better.

I definitely overdid the cracking, I'll be more subtle when I apply it for real, but you raise a great point about types of cracking. I guess I should go for block cracking from my quick research, since it's supposed to be an old unmaintained road that went through temperature changes, though I might go for something else because I think what looks good trumps reality here. Not sure yet! Might do another test board first.

Your third point I did exactly the wrong way around. Silly of me!

Thank you for the really good advice! This is going to take my roads to the next level for sure.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

one more thing I'd add is that cracks in roads often follow a sort of "grain" rather than being totally random. E.g. they tend to run either parallel or perpendicular to the road surface, at more or less 90 degree angles.

They can crack along a particular line because the road is being pulled apart by erosion at the margins

or you can get kind of a crazing due to drying or something

You can also get a sort of network of small cracks propagating along with a larger one

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Second try!

- Very unhappy with the wasteland terrain next to the road this time. Tried something else and it didn't pan out. Will try to do it differently going forward. Last time it looked great so I can fall back on that.
- Not happy with the broken off piece of asphalt. I'm pretty confident I can do better though since I just kinda winged it in the moment.
- Lines on the side are even thicker now, when they should be thinner! Didn't bother to measure it out again so I'm not bothered by this and it shows off the cracks better. On my next (and hopefully last) test I will measure it out.
- Wayyyy happier with the cracks in the asphalt now which was the main focus of this test.
- Better dust buildup in the right locations, though IO think it could be better.

Overall pretty pleased with it! The cracks are quite thick and maybe I'll try doing some more hairline cracks but they're harder to spot from a distance so I'm not sure if I should bother.

I'd love more feedback, no matter how small! I'm planning on doing at least one more test before making a board.

vroom vroom

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

a7m2 posted:

Second try!

- Very unhappy with the wasteland terrain next to the road this time. Tried something else and it didn't pan out. Will try to do it differently going forward. Last time it looked great so I can fall back on that.
- Not happy with the broken off piece of asphalt. I'm pretty confident I can do better though since I just kinda winged it in the moment.
- Lines on the side are even thicker now, when they should be thinner! Didn't bother to measure it out again so I'm not bothered by this and it shows off the cracks better. On my next (and hopefully last) test I will measure it out.
- Wayyyy happier with the cracks in the asphalt now which was the main focus of this test.
- Better dust buildup in the right locations, though IO think it could be better.

Overall pretty pleased with it! The cracks are quite thick and maybe I'll try doing some more hairline cracks but they're harder to spot from a distance so I'm not sure if I should bother.

I'd love more feedback, no matter how small! I'm planning on doing at least one more test before making a board.

vroom vroom

I agree with all your notes; that road surface looks a ton better, but a few smaller cracks would really sell it, if you can afford that much effort for the others you end up making. Maybe a little more dusty buildup past the lines outside the driving surface to blend them in the tiniest bit more.

I wonder if dust would settle into the larger valleys where the cracks intersect or if it would just be shadow. The only pictures I found that seem to be similar to that are more like potholes that may have filled with dirty water and dried. It may not read at that scale anyway. If you try it, stick to only two or three of the largest cavities and out of the more narrow lines which are just going to expose fresh dark bitumen.

Also, today I learned that's called Crocodile Cracking. :eng101:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think the wide lines are fine, gives it a more illustrated look rather than literal, which makes other differences from reality more acceptable, it’s a whole aesthetic that I, personally, dig. They just need to be a lot more faded, so it doesn’t look like they were painted within the last year. UV and dust/wind is a hell of a force and would wash them out and bust them up in pretty short order.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
didn't know this thread existed. i just happened to be making my own desert road

rocks:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Neb you need to start recording your build/paint process and put it on YouTube, you'd have 100k subs within like six months

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Nebalebadingdong posted:

didn't know this thread existed. i just happened to be making my own desert road

rocks:

Whoa, those look tiny. Very comic-book (in a good way, I swear!) I assume the buildings are resin 3d printed? They look crisp as gently caress.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Magnetic North posted:

Whoa, those look tiny. Very comic-book (in a good way, I swear!) I assume the buildings are resin 3d printed? They look crisp as gently caress.

yeah, they're from the Lazy Forger. Real nice

Silhouette posted:

Neb you need to start recording your build/paint process and put it on YouTube, you'd have 100k subs within like six months

some stuff will be forthcoming this fall!

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Nebalebadingdong posted:

some stuff will be forthcoming this fall!

When you do, definitely let us know. You have a cartoon style that's really unique.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Does anyone have any tips or good tutorials for making trees for 28mm? I could do with some to bulk out my tables but would prefer to make them rather than buy them if possible.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I've never seen someone use this word to describe cracks outside of ceramics, but it definitely describes that crackle pattern perfectly.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

hah yeah glass or ceramic breaking seems to be the normal use of the word, although I just looked it up and it has an "archaic" meaning for breaking or shattering generally

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Texture paste not sealing
Driving me insane
I'm going off the rails on a crazing train

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

hah yeah glass or ceramic breaking seems to be the normal use of the word, although I just looked it up and it has an "archaic" meaning for breaking or shattering generally

I work with ceramics so it really jumped out at me. It very accurately described that pattern.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Nebalebadingdong posted:

rocks:

Like everything else you post, it's incredible

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

INinja132 posted:

Does anyone have any tips or good tutorials for making trees for 28mm? I could do with some to bulk out my tables but would prefer to make them rather than buy them if possible.

I made a bunch out of gutter brush using this tutorial.

https://youtu.be/6ZkYfXAVZso

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

boneration posted:

I made a bunch out of gutter brush using this tutorial.

https://youtu.be/6ZkYfXAVZso

That's perfect, thanks!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Does anyone have suggestions for a foldaway 3x5? Board ? I’m thinking something which (with legs!) can hang on the back of a door or prop up behind it against a wall, but then fold out and set up in a room.

The room is my office and there is no floor space for anything permanent, and it needs to be pretty invisible when folded away. There are no spare long walls to hinge anything, though in theory a chimney breast could have a ledge to rest/lock one shirt edge against?

The surface doesn’t need to be 3D or textured as I’m quite happy with neoprene mats, so can close up flush if that makes things easier…

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 13, 2023

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
what about a folding table like this? Could permanently affix whatever to the top, since that’s not the part that closes up.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Revvik posted:

what about a folding table like this? Could permanently affix whatever to the top, since that’s not the part that closes up.

I got a pair of these from Costco. Set up together and lay some 4' long plywood sheets cross-wise for a stable table.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I also use a pair of folding tables exactly like those. They both fit perfectly side by side under the couch.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I’ve not thought about putting it underneath something. There is a futon couch which might be suitable, but the site behind the door is only 2 foot six wide, which is obviously pretty limited, I don’t think any commercial tables bigger than 3 x 3 fold on the long axis?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Spend today with dry brushing and oils and pigments... It's so fun to just tinker until something looks right

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Man, hell yeah. The rust is killer.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Basically done with this Forbidden Psalm board. Pretty happy with it aside from the water marshy bits cracking

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Dang that looks nice. What was your method?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cross-posting my board for Demonship since it's terrain, too!

Cthulu Carl posted:

I guess this is Oath Complete

Spent most of the month trying to figure out if I should mount the deck plates or try to magnetize them or something so they stay together. In the end, I just went with gluing them to some XPS foam, using Mod Podge covered masking tape to cover the edges, and also using a magnetic sheet on the bottom so I can stick it down for transport/storage, and also to set it on some 123 blocks to help keep it steady when in use.

The blood and vomit might be a little too much and the paint job itself too plain, but looks all right enough when it's got all the other terrain bits on it.

I need to revisit most of the terrain anyway because there's quite a bit of warping on the them.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Been forever since I last posted ITT, crossposting this from the minis painting thread.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Decided to take a break from painting minis and started on some Necromunda terrain I've had lying around forever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I feel like my terrain selection is just about getting rounded out now, with a few timber framed buildings, roads, a small river and some hills, copses of trees and a boggy area the only thing I was missing was some mark of agriculture and borders: enter some hedges (more like bocage!) and a couple of ploughed fields:

They've just had some varnish sprayed on so are probably a bit darker than they should dry, but I think they will serve nicely! Very simple - the hedges are just wavy strips of 3mm hardboard with sculptamold on the top surface painted brown and then some clump foliage PVA'ed on. The fields are as you can see - carpet tile samples ordered from eBay for 99p! In reality the fields should be much, much larger - but there's only so much realism one needs in a game about toy soldiers.

To finish up I think I'm going to need some fortifications - maybe just a wall and gatehouse to plonk on the edge of the battlefield - and that's it!