Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
apologies about the random nature of the pics to follow, but they're from a variety of sources under a variety of lighting, grabbed from our group discord.

a post about trees:

when i first started making battletech terrain hex tiles a couple years ago, i started making trees the old fashioned way. armatures (that i 3d printed), clipped randomly to create a diverse appearance, with clump foliage glued on to the boughs. this looked pretty decent, but it took a while and forests didnt look much like "forests", more like a handful of trees. like so

at some point i decided doing the hex tiles with the layers, slopes, etc. was too much work. i decided to pivot to larger 2' x 2' square tiles. to prototype the new style i made this little thing out of some scraps i had lying around, and decided to try the idea of having a forest "cap" on little tree trunk "stilts", that you could place playing pieces inside of and cover to show them in the forests.

this looked good too, gave a better representation of a wood, but the bt minis are so tall that it looked funky with this cap sitting on top of tall stilts. maybe better for microarmour stuff, but not bt. i went back to 3d printing, but this time more fully formed trees that i could just paint instead. they ended up looking weird. like low res/low poly models on the tile. may work better if the rest of the terrain was in this style, but on the heavily flocked table they just looked out of place

so i took those trees and flocked them instead, just right over top of the paint

they looked okay, as well... just okay. still out of place from the rest of the terrain. them being removable/on their own base like that really made them stand out. and plus you have to fiddle with them and move them around to put the mechs in the forests themselves.

now i attempt my 5th go at trees. i bought 180 cheapo ali express numbers, 20 each in 9 styles, and plan to gussy them up a bit with flock but otherwise just glue them in place. i think they look pretty decent just as is but i will be improving them somewhat (plus they need glue because they're loving disintegrating just handling them). feels like i should have done this style all along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I love those terrain tiles, I'm planning to do something similar. Are they just 1 foot square? Or 2x2?

LittlewarsTV had a great idea where they embedded pins in the bottoms of those little cheapo trees so they could just pin them all over the foam board and customize the trees each game. Toying with that idea myself.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

Count Thrashula posted:

I love those terrain tiles, I'm planning to do something similar. Are they just 1 foot square? Or 2x2?

LittlewarsTV had a great idea where they embedded pins in the bottoms of those little cheapo trees so they could just pin them all over the foam board and customize the trees each game. Toying with that idea myself.

thanks. yeah they're 2x2 foot square.

hm. pins is a decent idea

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Snooping on your board game collection. Good choices.

Though seriously, all this terrain looks sick as gently caress. I've been lusting over the idea of modular Battletech terrain, but I don't want to buy into the game at the moment.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I bought some foam and the tools to cut it and intended to cut hexes for my battletech maps. That was two months ago ): I got a smidge overwhelmed worrying about how to make sure they were the right size hexes and then just didn't do anything

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

That's just overall some epic terrain - the boards don't look contrived despite being interesting which is half the trouble with unique terrain pieces.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

Len posted:

I bought some foam and the tools to cut it and intended to cut hexes for my battletech maps. That was two months ago ): I got a smidge overwhelmed worrying about how to make sure they were the right size hexes and then just didn't do anything

https://www.hexterraintoolkit.com/

i used that for mine. its kinda fiddly but it works ok. with a proxxon i started to consider a proper jig like this: http://lairoftheubergeek.blogspot.com/2020/05/proxxon-hex-cutting-template.html

thanks for the compliments. its been a while of me trying to decide on what to do about trees. now i have a path forward, i'll be making 2 more to have a full 6x4 table and to add variety for our bt campaign. thinking a waterfall tile and river + village tile

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
"Your finished hexes will be 100mm (about 4") from corner to opposite corner."

what sick bastards...

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Still a WIP but I’m quite happy with these burnt out buildings:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Though I have some domed hills they're just not that useful for my small scale, multi-based figures - mainly because the bases just slide down the slope:

I want to create some contour-line style hills instead - visually they'll be a bit of a retrograde step but I think they'll be easier to use. I would appreciate any thoughts and advice for building them because although they seem like fairly straightforward things to make the startup cost for materials is quite high and I'm curious about gotchas.

1. Do I go with multi-tier hills as single units, or have large and small layers as separates that can be stacked? I feel like multi-layer hills is such an obvious way to recoup some of the visual loss I'm not sure why I'd ever have single-layer hills, but lots of battle reports include them so I wonder if it's a case of being able to have them pull double-duty.
2. Has anyone found half- and quarter-hills (for use with board edges) worthwhile? I would be inclined to make a greater number of normal hills, or maybe some narrower examples and then if the mood strikes, to place them adjacent to the board edge.
3. With a figure-scale of 10mm, I was thinking of using 10mm foam - the use of 1" thick foam with 28mm figures seems to be pretty standard but I'm worried by doing this the hills are going to end up being very large indeed (see below).

My general plan is to have the base of roughly 8x14", 10x12" or 11x11", while the peaks (i.e. the flat top) more in the region of 4x2" or 4x4" (the idea being that there should be enough space for a unit of infantry in line, or a gun battery to be deployed up there) and then enough space between the two layers for units to be partially up the hill.

I'm looking to use XPS stuck to 3mm hardboard with a solid coating of sculptamold, pva and sand, paint, flock and more dilute PVA.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts you might have!

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 14, 2023

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

M-m-multi post, another WIP this time of the a ruined church:

I think it’s coming out well so far - I’m debating whether as a burnt out husk it should have any interior colouring rather than soot but I’m unsure…

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Southern Heel posted:

Though I have some domed hills they're just not that useful for my small scale, multi-based figures - mainly because the bases just slide down the slope
Just as an aside, a little bit of felt or flock glued to the bottoms of your little bases will help keep them from sliding down your hills.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

My new tiered hills are XPS foam ontop of hardboard and I'm already quite pleased with them in their raw state, though they could do with a bit of sculptamold/etc. to blend the foam into the base.

For coverage, should I try to flock the whole thing, or just paint and drybrush?

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 27, 2023

Zihuatanejo
Dec 17, 2013
Getting some progress in on the Necromunda board... 3/8 tiles complete!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
6mm diorama using my brigade models trains and train station with lazy forger's shanties and hangars

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Nebalebadingdong posted:

6mm diorama using my brigade models trains and train station with lazy forger's shanties and hangars

Fantastic!

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Trying to knock over as much terrain as I can this week.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

tehsid posted:

Trying to knock over as much terrain as I can this week.

Please stay away from my table.

I've been on a bit of a binge readying for a tournament my group is running.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Hell yeah it looks like that skull is puking lava in the best way.

Anyone got a source for Bedouin or caravan-style camping terrain? Every time I search "middle eastern" I get the more modern stucco style buildings.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

My star fort is still WIP but it's getting there and I'm quite pleased with it so far:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Looking into printing for terrain, does acetone smoothing help with terrain minis or does it just mush up the details?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

spectralent posted:

Looking into printing for terrain, does acetone smoothing help with terrain minis or does it just mush up the details?

Using a Neptune 4 Pro and it can do 0.12mm layer heights, at which point any layering artefacts are basically just texture, so I wouldn't worry? Unless you already have a printer and it has a lower z resolution...

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Oh, nah, i was looking at getting into FDM. Man, that's an impressive resolution for FDM. Though, I guess I last looked years ago and shouldn't be surprised that things moved on a lot.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I believe you can only use acetone with ABS? But it’s really not required - if you’re physically picky, then you can use aerosol spray putty or diluted wood filler painted and sanded off I guess? I’ve personally not found it necessary!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, just get a Neptune 4 pro and sling off a poo poo ton of terrain with PLA. It will look pretty good.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

anyone got a good source for 6mm/8mm ruins? I really only need a couple of small pieces for photography. I do not own a 3D printer.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

anyone got a good source for 6mm/8mm ruins? I really only need a couple of small pieces for photography. I do not own a 3D printer.

TTCOMBAT sci-fi X would be my go-to, but it may be a little ugly if you're going close-ups.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Get something you like from Bridgade's 6mm or 15mm range, then add damage:

https://brigademodels.co.uk/product-category/6mm-sf/6mm-buildings-and-scenery/

https://brigademodels.co.uk/product-category/15mm-sf/buildings-and-scenery/

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
First pass at an iceberg for the new edition of Dystopian Wars. Just a carved up chunk of XPS insulation foam on a circle of clear packaging material with what I hope look like waves, some breaking on the 'berg.

2nd pass. This time with a deeper green to the recesses and more directionality to the waves.

3rd iteration, slightly larger than the other two. And some weird yellow lighting, ignore that bit. I chipped and wore more surfaces and did a full undercoat in the greener blue. More shows through, which I think looks more arctic. I also made the waves bigger, though I might have gone too big for the scale(~1:1200?). And I incorporated a trick with tissue paper someone linked me to from this blog for the wave breaking against the berg.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

made some epic-scale razorwire out of toothpicks and twist-ties

Slyphic posted:

I also made the waves bigger, though I might have gone too big for the scale(~1:1200?).
Waves get big, I think they look good

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 8, 2024

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Slyphic posted:

First pass at an iceberg for the new edition of Dystopian Wars. Just a carved up chunk of XPS insulation foam on a circle of clear packaging material with what I hope look like waves, some breaking on the 'berg.

2nd pass. This time with a deeper green to the recesses and more directionality to the waves.

3rd iteration, slightly larger than the other two. And some weird yellow lighting, ignore that bit. I chipped and wore more surfaces and did a full undercoat in the greener blue. More shows through, which I think looks more arctic. I also made the waves bigger, though I might have gone too big for the scale(~1:1200?). And I incorporated a trick with tissue paper someone linked me to from this blog for the wave breaking against the berg.

These look cool. I've tried using clear packaging as bases for terrain like this, but it's a bit shiny for my play surface. I've used matte mod podge to mask some of it, though it can be tough to apply without seeing brush strokes or anything.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Salvage/Wreck marker out of an old prussian frigate. Sanded down the bottom til it had a good tilt, quick and dirty paintjob, and then I wanted to give it an oil slick like there's a below-the-waterline hit. I'm delightfully surprised that the oil slick really was as easy as 'slop some black wash down and nudge it a bit'.

From the rear to show the tilt better.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
This looks good, might try to copy this idea for my wrecks in Black Seas. Can you get a shot of it on some blue cloth or something?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Springfield Fatts posted:

Can you get a shot of it on some blue cloth or something?

I'd have to scrounge for a good dark blue Atlantic, which yeah, I'm a little concerned it won't work as well on.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Does the reflectivity of the plastic not stand out too much on a water styled play surface? I gave up on incorporating clear plastic into terrain since it ended up looking like solid white when sufficient lighting to play by was on.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Later today I'm going to hit one with a matte varnish and compare in my usual home gaming spot. Have to wait a week or two to check the local store.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Sojenus posted:

Does the reflectivity of the plastic not stand out too much on a water styled play surface? I gave up on incorporating clear plastic into terrain since it ended up looking like solid white when sufficient lighting to play by was on.
Better example pics, including one test matte varnished iceberg. Most of the angles of play were perfectly. There were a few spots I could stand where I got glared out. The oilslick is still visible on a dark ocean background. And I'm honestly unsure whether I prefer the shiny plastic or the matte varnish look.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

The matte ones do look a fair bit different than what I've seen with mine. It might be that they're bigger than the ones I've made, but I also I wonder if it's because I was doing it over a lighter mat (a tan/yellow desert) rather than a darker one (a dark blue ocean).

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Ocean terrain progress: islands done, small icebergs done, wrecks done
TBD: a few oil platforms, a half dozen big icebergs

Before the snow, just jigsawed hardboard shapes with sand and brown paint and rockier grey centers.

Snow applied. It's a mix of baking soda, water, and white paint with just a tint of blue.

Close up of snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
using some air drying clay and bits and bobs, im making some junkyards