Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I once played 40K using my paint collection and a light bulb package pulled from the trash cut up to make walls. We made a pretty good ruined factory layout out of it.

I will also say this about terrain: use more of it. The busier your play area is, the more fun the game will be. Walls, fences, trees, brush, buildings, rubble, a random outhouse on a hill, everything you ck in makes the game better. There may be a point of "too much", but I've never found it.

In the long, long ago I was in charge of miniatures at Games of Berkeley. DBA had been out long enough so that various companies were putting out cheap army packs for the game; DBA was 12 stands of 2-4 figures per army (plus a camp). We had some in stock, and I talked management into getting some tables and letting me run demo games. This was a success and historical miniatures sales markedly increased. More than enough to pay for the tables and the employee time spent on the events anyway.

Since I was running the events, I got to set up most of the terrain for each matchup. I did fairly generic battlefields for the most part, some Geohex hills, a lot of trees, maybe some fenced off fields. We found we could get through a 100YW battle in 45 minutes and Romans v Carthaginians in an hour.

Thene I got to set up for a match between two of our regulars, who used their own figures to set up...I dunno, Pathans vs Sassanids or something equally obscure. Light cavalry versus camel cavalry. The trick with these is, these unit types would retreat where a spear unit, or a block of legionnaires would be wiped out. So mobility and space was going to be key.

I set these poor bastards up with a hilly battlefield cut by a fordable river, and very few open spaces to set up a proper charge. They spent two and a half hours jockeying for position to force a retreat into terrain that would destroy the loser while avoiding getting set up for the same fate. That's an eternity for a DBA game. It was one of the best wargames I;ve ever seen played.

tl;dr Use more terrain

Another example, here's an Advanced Squad Leader map, relevant to anyone playing Bolt Action or CoC. Each hex is 40 yars, or 20" in scale with 28mm models. You want that much stuff on the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

And could be a military objective for valuable data!