Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
I realize this isn't exactly terrain-related, but it's along the same lines, and I'm not sure where else to ask - does anyone have suggestions on how to build an actual gaming table? My friend has recently finished repointing his basement and is going to take a corner of it for gaming, so we need to put together a table. We've got sheets of 1/2" plywood over a folding table now, but he'd like something a little nicer than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

enri posted:

Depends entirely on how crazy you want to go, whether you want to be able to pack it away for storage, etc.

I prefer solid tables, none of this folding lark or modular sections, I want a full size board in one piece. So the only option for that is a piece of sheet material the right size and a suitable frame built from square edged timber and screwed to it to support its weight and to stop it from warping when it's in storage and/or laying across a table that's smaller than it is

I'm working on a Malifaux table at the moment with some extra space either side for cards / decks / etc. (play area is 3' x 3', I've made my board 3' 2" x 3' 10") and the frame is going around the outside (with internal supports, kinda hard to describe without sketching something out), the playing area will be recessed by around 1/5" / 4-5mm there or thereabouts. It'll be just the right size to plonk across my kitchen table.

Photos will be forthcoming, I'm planning on picking up some timber this weekend and begging/borrowing a tenon saw and a mitre block from the in-laws.. gotta do this poo poo properly :v:

Awesome, I can't wait to see the pictures. This is kind of the direction we are headed; since I work for a contractor getting access to the tools is the easy part, using them less so. We have been thinking about drawing some actual plans before building something, but that may be too much work for a non work project.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

Germ those walls are incredible. Are they tall enough to block LOS for standard sized models? Count me in on the 'wanting these' list.

Did you buy a vibrating table or make one? Do you find it helps your casts? I have just dabbled in making some press molds and a couple of random bits and pieces, but I'm having trouble getting my resin to cooperate. I'm not sure if I need a slower-drying resin, to give it more time to seep into the corners of everything, or a vacuum chamber / vibrating table to help shake air loose.