Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I remember we talked about that in this thread before at some point. I’ve never seen it but apparently quite a few people do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I’m sure this has a name. Trinity, garlic, tomatoes, andouille, stock, green onion, over grits. Sort of like shrimp creole without shrimp and lighter.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

ulmont posted:

That's one of the 3* different types of shrimp and grits but without the shrimp.

1. One is like what Phil has above but with shrimp.
2. Is like a thinner brown sauce with tasso ham; this is my favorite. Example pic here (from Elizabeth's in New Orleans):

3. Is what you find in lovely places where you get boiled shrimp over grits with no seasoning.

God I love Elizabeth’s

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

plz post your conclusions from all these experiments as gumbo season will be upon us soon (if it ever cools down again)

Gumbo megapost

I don't know how many gumbos I've made, usually about 8-12 a year, mostly in the fall and winter. I think the first gumbo I ever made was a seafood gumbo. I used Savoie's jarred roux and stock I made with Knorr's bouillon cubes and used a recipe in a book my wife's parents made.

I don't even remember what it tasted like but I remember being happy with it. I also think every single gumbo I've made has been different in some way from the others.

That's the main thing to take away from this---there is no end-all be-all gumbo recipe. If you like what you made, then you've done it. You made a good gumbo.

Elements of the Gumbo broken down with tips from about 20 years of making the stuff.

1. Stock
2. Ingredients
3. Roux
4. Seasoning
5. Process

Stock

The backbone to gumbo, in my opinion. You can use anything from water to lobster stock. And I have!
I've used all of these:

• Water - Easy but about what you'd expect. Lacking in dimension and flavor. Watery, salty gumbo. But always there. So if you need to add some volume to your gumbo, it works. But don't overdo it.
  • Knorr's bouillon - Lasts forever. You can get shrimp or fish cubes from Asian or Latin markets if you can't find it at your supermarket. Again, pretty one-dimensional but better than plain water.
  • Boxed or canned stock - Good workhorse and easy to find. Two boxes of this will make a good base for gumbo. Use stock, not broth--broth is usually saltier. "Bone broth" has come on the market in the last few years and is very good, but it's also stupid expensive. Just make your own.

These are all better off as something you add to what you already have if you need more liquid. I always keep boxed stock on hand--it lasts forever, is shelf stable, and you can use it for many things. But the best gumbo is made with a good homemade stock. Homemade stock is cheap, easy, flavorful, and will also last a long time in the freezer. It helps to have a big freezer.

So whenever you have a roast or rotisserie chicken, save the bones. If you buy a whole chicken and butcher it, keep the bones. I keep a gallon ziploc in the freezer and add carcasses as we go. Usually about three is enough to make stock. Same with thanksgiving turkey, shrimp, crab, fish...any time you have these, keep the bones and heads and shells.

None of these recipes has to be followed exactly. You can swap vegetables in, like leek, green onions. But there are some pungent things you probably don't want to put in stock, like cilantro, fennel, or kale. Also stay away from starchy or watery vegetables like corn, potatoes, cabbage, bell peppers, tomatoes, etc.

Chicken stock

• Three carcasses chicken bones and meat
  • One or two onions, cut in 1/8ths
  • A few celery ribs, chopped up. Use the leafy parts if you have them
  • 2 carrots chopped up
  • Green onions
  • 1 head garlic cut in half
  • 10-12 black peppercorns
  • Bunch thyme
  • Handful of parsley
  • Couple bay leaves

Brown the chicken and onions in oil in a big stock pot. add the other vegetables and herbs. Cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1.5 hours or so. remove all the big stuff and strain the stock through a wire mesh sieve. You can use cheesecloth if you really want to get everything out of it but it's not necessary. Then simmer and reduce the stock about 1/4 or so. You can do the same with turkey bones. If you're using a fried turkey carcass, it's going to be pretty strong.

Seafood stock

I made one of these with king crab shells last week!

This is basically the same whether you use fish bones, shrimp heads/shells, crawfish heads/shells, crab shells, lobster shells, whatever. You can mix and match too. Seafood stock is a bit more delicate (unless you're using crawfish heads from a boil, which are strong). So probably stick to the lighter vegetables here.

• about a gallon bag filled with bones/shells/heads
  • One or two onions, cut in 1/8ths
  • A few celery ribs, chopped up. Use the leafy parts if you have them
  • 2 carrots chopped up
  • Green onions
  • 1 head garlic, cut in half
  • 10-12 black peppercorns
  • Bunch thyme
  • Handful of parsley
  • Couple bay leaves
  • about a cup dry white wine
  • 2 lemons sliced up

Same process as chicken stock, just add the wine and lemons. You might get more scum on the surface while reducing--skim it off.
That's it. Note that none of these have salt or other seasonings--no need for it. Just herbs. I freeze this in quart containers.

You can probably freeze it in ziploc bags too. Remember that you're going to need to have this stock at a rolling boil when you use it, as soon as you decide you're making gumbo go ahead and start defrosting your stock. You can defrost straight in a stockpot on the stove.

You can mix stocks but usually if the gumbo has chicken in it, I use chicken stock. If it doesn’t, that means it has shrimp & andouille or is a seafood gumbo, in which case I use shellfish. Seafood gumbo with chicken stock isn’t ideal but if you have some gumbo crabs you can toss those in and it will help a little. It’s not the end of the world.

Ingredients

A few things your gumbo absolutely must have:

1. Onion—my preferred way to prepare them is to chop, then put through the food processor for a while until you get a very fine dice. I like to avoid having too many chunks of things floating in the gumbo, otherwise I think it’s too busy.
2. Bell peppers—you can use green, colored, or any other sweet peppers. I also like to run these through the processor for the same reason as the onion.
3. Celery—you can process this too. I like to process like ¾ of it but also have a handful of sliced ribs that pop up in the gumbo.
4. Garlic—I use a whole head and mince it in a little processor. Much faster than hand-mincing.

Everything else is really up to you. You should prep all these base vegetables before you start the roux. Once the roux is going you’ll be busy and only have a tight window to get things in before the roux goes bad.

To me, gumbo also needs okra. I love the flavor and it’s what makes gumbo taste like gumbo to me. But some people don’t like it which is fine. Okra usually gets added later, otherwise it just disintegrates. You can saute it a bit to get out some of the slime, but it’s not necessary. Frozen okra is as good as fresh in gumbo, but be careful of fresh okra that is too fibrous.

Recently I used smothered okra. My MIL brought me like 2 lbs of fresh okra, so I stewed it down with onions and garlic and seasoning and other stuff for like 6 hours. I froze this and used it a few months later in place of okra pieces. It was really good and thickened the gumbo great, though I missed the little bites of sweet okra when you use slices.

Despite the common meaning of “gumbo” I think it benefits greatly from a little bit of focus. It’s easy to have too much stuff in a gumbo. Maybe that’s what you like, in which case go for it. I would just recommend not having too many proteins and not mixing too much seafood with non-seafood. Here are some of the various mixes I’ve done or tried:

• Shrimp and andouille—this is the go to for me, especially with okra. They all go great together. Stick with two proteins and you’ll never go wrong.
  • Chicken, andouille, sausage—I like this too. I use a whole chicken for this, but usually debone it and take off the skin, otherwise you get a ton of fat you have to skim off the top. Heartier gumbo but less sweet without shrimp. You can swap out turkey or dock for the chicken.
  • Shrimp, crab, andouille—When I make “seafood gumbo” it’s usually this. I put gumbo crabs in while it cooks and pull them out before eating, and add crabmeat separately. Claw meat is the best value for this. Lump is luxury. Either way, add crabmeat toward the very end so it doesn’t just disintegrate (assuming it’s cooked). I’ve also used softshell crabs, and they added flavor to the liquid but weren’t great to eat.
  • Shrimp, chicken, andouille – getting crowded but still manageable. The mix of seafood and chicken is fine but I usually like to keep them separate.
  • Seafood (shrimp, crab, oyster, bay scallops, sometimes even fish)—just too much going on here in my opinion. I won’t turn my nose up at it of course.
  • Shrimp, chicken, andouille/sausage, crab—I think things get confused. The chicken and sausage overpower the crabmeat. If you use shellfish stock, you don’t really taste it. If you use chicken stock, it makes the crabmeat taste like chicken.

If you can find tasso, you can chop it and sub it for or add it to andouille/sausage.

Roux

If stock is the bones of gumbo, roux is its flesh. The two combine for a thicker, richer stew than you get with just stock. Roux is fat + flour. You can use any kind of fat, but high smoke point oils are easiest and most consistent.

• Butter - Don't use this. It'll burn. Only use butter for blonde roux.
  • Lard - This works great if you can find it. It liquefies and is easy to work with. Probably want to avoid using high heat--medium only.
  • Bacon grease - you can filter out rendered fat from bacon and use that. It's flavorful and works okay. I find it more likely to burn or otherwise act weird, so I've stopped using it.
  • Olive oil – Apparently refined olive oil has a high smoke point but virgin olive oil isn’t good for this. I know Justin Wilson uses it in some of his videos but his gumbo looks like poo poo and I've never heard of anyone else ever doing this. Don't bother.
  • Vegetable oil - Works fine. High smoke point better. Grapeseed, canola. Basic vegetable oil work fine.

Basic ratio is 1:1 fat to flour. If you want it a bit thicker, you can do 1:1.5 but be careful or you'll end up with etouffee. Usually for a typical gumbo that will feed around 8-10 people, I use 1 cup flour, 1 cup oil, and around 3 quarts stock. I use all purpose flour but have heard of others using different flours. I'll have to try it and update this post.

As we’ve seen in this thread, there are as many ways to gently caress up roux as there are to make it correctly. I’ve never done it in the oven, but know a couple great cooks who do.

I make it on the stove in a cast iron skillet or enameled cookware, like a le Creuset dutch oven. There are many different ways of doing this, but for all of them, remember you will need your stock at a rolling boil when you’re ready to mix it with the roux, so have it in a separate pot on relatively high heat.

We already had the roux color discussion so I’m not going to repeat it. But here are some of the various roux I’ve made and posted in this thread over the years.

This is an interesting article that’s just more proof what they say about opinions and assholes.

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_...0a80ce0c5e.html

Some other thoughts on roux:

• At moderately high heat, it should take you about 20 minutes to get to a decent brown. If you do a lower/medium heat, 30-45. Have a couple beers.
  • You can always adjust the heat as you go. If you need to take a break from stirring or you think it’s getting close to done, turn it down. There’s a tight window between perfect and burned, and if you slow down the heat you can open the window up a bit.
  • If you think you burned the roux, start over before you add the stock. Oil and flour are cheap and you probably have a bunch of it. Stock is valuable and limited.
  • Popcorn smell is normal.
  • A silicone spatula is a nice tool to get roux down off the sides of the pot. Depending on how much flour you use, the texture will be anywhere from a thick viscous liquid to kind of like wet sand. Regardless, once you add the vegetables their water will thicken things up.
  • Roux keeps cooking in a hot pan even after you turn it off, so don’t be shy about stopping before you get too dark.
  • Many recipes for chicken gumbo will have you brown the chicken and render its fat in the same pan you then use for roux. These recipes almost always have you season the chicken with creole seasoning or salt & pepper beforehand. This is well and good but when you go to make the roux it will be full of the browned bits and seasoning, which tend to burn in the roux. So I will brown the chicken, deglaze it, and reserve the fond to add to the gumbo later. I find making the roux much easier to manage when it’s just flour and fat.
  • Temperature of stock and roux—for best results, just make sure everything is the same temperature. If your roux is lava, stock must be at a rolling boil. If you add cold or even room temp stock to hot roux, results will be underwhelming.
  • Adding stock to the roux – this requires preparing the roux in the pot you will use for the gumbo. I used to do it exclusively like this, adding a ladleful of boiling stock to the roux and whisking it in so it incorporates before adding the next.
  • Adding roux to the stock – this allows you to make the roux in whatever pan you want, and then spooning it into the boiling stock. After trying it out both ways, I almost always do it like this now and the results are almost always perfect.
  • When to add vegetables – Many ways to do this. My preferred way is to add the onions and bell peppers to the roux when it’s fairly brown, like a penny. They will cook in the roux, which will continue to brown. When it’s a nice dark brown, add garlic and celery and cook a bit longer on lower heat.
    I don’t see much difference between only cooking the onions vs cooking onions and peppers. Also I’ve added a hatch or poblano pepper or two and it was a nice subtle change.
    Some people saute the vegetables separately, then add them after adding the stock. That seems fine.

Once you get the stock and roux together, you can bring it to a boil. Here’s your canvas for whatever gumbo you are making.

Hopefully everything went well and you have a nice consistent gumbo base, but sometimes it doesn’t go right. I’ve heard of roux separating (oil from flour) but I’ve never had this happen to me. More often the roux and stock don’t properly meld. This looks like little clumps of roux floating around in clear broth. You can stir it a bunch and it looks okay for a bit, then goes back to clumping. It sucks!

It can be caused by a few things, principally using stock that is not hot enough or roux that is overcooked or burned. Either way, the result is not good and very frustrating. Not much to be done about it. You can try to whisk the poo poo out of it which sometimes works. It’s not inedible, but I consider it a failed gumbo when it happens.

4. Seasoning and stuff

So once you have the gumbo base, heat it on high until it boils, then turn it down to simmer. From here on the whole process should take at least 90 more minutes. At least. The longer the better. Actually, if you want to cook it for 3 hours and then stick it in the fridge for tomorrow, it’ll taste better. I swear.

I like to add salt, pepper, a dash of cayenne, a couple bay leaves, a tablespoon or so of chopped fresh thyme, a few generous spurts of Worcestershire or fish sauce, and a chopped tomato at this stage.

The Worcestershire, fish sauce, and tomato add umami. I always put two of the three in. Sometimes I put a dark beer in as well. Why not.

If you’re doing chicken and you seasoned it when you browned it, you don’t really need to add creole seasoning. If not, then I would add about a tablespoon of creole seasoning. Here’s how I make mine:

2 Tbs celery salt
2 Tbs fresh ground pepper
1 Tbs paprika
1 Tbs kosher salt
1 Tbs garlic powder
1 Tbs onion powder
3 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground thyme

Process

If I’m making a seafood or shrimp & okra gumbo, I’ll put in a few gumbo crabs to sweeten things up. Sometimes I’ll put in little baby shrimp at this stage, like 41-50 or 51-60, and let them cook the whole time. They get really soft and flavorful by the time you’re done.

If you have a rice cooker, no harm getting the rice going. Either way, don’t forget you need rice.

So then this cooks for 45-60 minutes and should be pretty nice at that point. Good time to taste and adjust seasonings. If you’re using chicken, you’ve probably seen a bunch of fat rising to the surface. You absolutely have to skim this off. I’ll get like a bowlful of fat off the top when I use a single chicken. I’ve had gumbo someone made where they didn’t skim it. Totally bizarre but then again these people also served me boiled baby back ribs one time. Just clueless.

If you’re using sausage, brown it and put it in. I like variety so I’ll usually do a few rounds, a few half-moons, and mostly quarter rounds. Some people just do rounds but again, I like smaller chunks of stuff in there. Tasso would be good to add now too.

Get as much grease off before adding it otherwise you’ll be skimming it off the gumbo. I would plan to let it cook at least 45 more minutes from now.
You can saute the okra in some of the rendered sausage fat before putting it into the gumbo if you want. I don’t think it’s necessary but some people want less okra snot in their gumbo. Also makes it a bit thinner if that’s what you’re going for.

Remember to keep tasting and adjusting seasoning throughout the process. Nothing wrong with adding some hot sauce too.

You can let this simmer basically forever at this point. I usually wait before adding the okra so it’s only cooking 30 minutes or so. Up to you but I like it with a little bite. Also chop up some green onions and throw those in there along with some basil if you feel like it. Neither are necessary. Save some green onions for garnish.

I add the big shrimp about 15 minutes before I plan to eat. A couple minutes more or less doesn’t really matter.

If you’re using crabmeat, that I would add at the very end. If you don’t it can break apart and you get a weird thick soup with crabmeat fibers all in it. Ideally you have gumbo crabs in there flavoring the stew.

I’m going to make seafood gumbo today for the LSU-FSU game, I’ll post some pics.

The key to remember is there is no "correct" way to make gumbo. Your way, the way you like it and made it this time, is correct.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Rough night for the Tigers

…At least Tulane is undefeated

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

fr0id posted:

I like the aidells andouille (it’s got some nice spice to it) and Kroger brand has been nice too. I don’t have a lot of experience with authentic andouille though.

Anyway, I finally figured out the trick to making good grits (you treat them like mashed potatoes that need lots of butter and some other kind of dairy and lots of salt). I’d like to make shrimp and grits for friends but my friend has a shellfish allergy. What are good subs that can get a similar flavor profile? I’ve thought of doing andouille sausage rings, but they’re not gonna have the bits of “sauce” that shrimp would from the garlic and spices getting quick sautéed. What are peoples’ thoughts?

Here’s a non-seafood option.

code:
CREOLE TOMATO GRITS
Prep Time: 45 Minutes
Yields: 6 Servings

Comment:
While basic boiled grits are perfect in their simplicity for breakfast, additional ingredients are often added to the grain at bigger meals. Here, ripe Creole tomatoes and cheese are used to give flair to plain grits.

Ingredients:
1 cup yellow stoneground grits
1 cup diced Creole tomato
½ cup bacon, chopped ¼ cup sliced garlic
2 tbsps canned chopped green chiles
3 cups water
½ cup heavy whipping cream
¼ cup butter
salt and black pepper to taste
¼ cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese

Method:
In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, cook bacon until crisp, retain drippings. Add garlic and sauté one minute. Add tomatoes and chiles. Sauté 5 minutes. Add grits, blend well. Add water, cream and butter. Blend well and bring to a boil.
Reduce to simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, 15-20 minutes. Season to taste using salt and pepper. When creamy and tender, blend in cheese.
On the subject of grits, I’m going to make grillades Sunday for brunch and the Saints game. Recipes usually call for eye of round or veal, which I’ve done a few times. But wondering what other cuts could be used.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Made the grillades with sirloin flap steak and a few short ribs. It was fantastic.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Hello, it’s October which means gumbo, okra shrimp and crab in this instance

Dogge likes gumbo

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Double post apparently, here is a gumbo recipe from October Food & Wine. It seems good, might try it out to do something different.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 2, 2023

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Some details for the gumbo megapost

- I used tomato paste and about a TB of fish sauce (in addition to Worcestershire) instead of chopped fresh tomato. It was great.

This was about 6 quarts crab stock to 1.5 cups oil and 1.5 plus cups of flour on the roux. It’s a good consistency—not too thick but has substance.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Jato posted:

Made gumbo for the first time this weekend using the serious eats recipe. I had planted some Okra seed in the yard earlier this summer and ended up with a pile of Okra that was about to go bad so I quickly threw together everything I needed to use it up in some gumbo. Was actually shocked how good it turned out, used two brands of andouille sausage I found at the grocery + a few chicken thighs. Definitely will be making more this fall/winter and will try some variations from the tips in this thread.

Now I'm going to go reheat a bowl of it for breakfast.

Looks pretty fantastic, like you’ve been doing this for years!

Did you eat it over beans??

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 11, 2023

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Happy I have a vent hood so instead the neighbor’s yard smells like shrimp.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I couldn't wait til the weekend so I got everything to make gumbo tomorrow.

This is the way

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I use frozen cut okra all the time, sautée in a pan then throw it in. Or just throw it in.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah I make roux separate. I like to control it and minimize variables.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the fantastic gumbo megapost. I made my first batch in years this weekend and was extremely impressed with how it turned out.

Sweet! I taught a friend how to cook it this weekend. We went through the whole process from roux to rice. I have another friend asking for lessons now too haha.

Gumbo for all

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Work trip and I was coming home around lunch through rural LA. Figured I’d stop to get some gas station boudin and poo poo.

The cold stuff

The hot stuff

I settled on boudin balls, cracklins, and a shrimp egg roll. Some of those boudin balls were for the family I didn’t eat them all for lunch lol.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I’ve always liked their boudin balls. We’d get platters of mini balls for LSU tailgates from the place in Opelousas, they’re delicious.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Sausage

Gumbo

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Happy Mardi Gras

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That sounds insane but Texas is a hellhole so, I dunno.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

It seems rather thick…what did you put in it?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

It is, although my gumbo is usually like that.

The roux is 1.5 cups each of flour and canola oil, and I used about 3 or 4 quarts of stock, 2 cups of rice uncooked (probably closer to 6 cups after cooking; I cooked the rice separately), 24 oz of frozen okra, and something like 5 lbs of shrimp cuz I like my gumbo meaty and full of protein! :pumped:

It's closer to porridge than soup at this point but I ain't complaining. It's still fuckin delicious.

Did you stir the rice into the gumbo pot before you took the picture?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Port-o-let rice

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Add a serving of rice to a serving of gumbo you absolute freak

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

All gumbo at a restaurant is served to you with rice and gumbo together, some more mixed in than others. But I promise you they are adding rice right before serving it. I’ve never seen a gumbo recipe that cooks the rice in the gumbo. That’s just porridge. Nobody is judging you, if you like it that way chow down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Jambalaya is rice cooked in the broth and stuff but the end result is liquid absorbed as opposed to thick glutinous stew