Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
In all my years of both living in and repeatedly visiting Louisiana (specifically NO and BR), I’ve never had shrimp and grits. I’ve got a trip coming up soon, where’s good?

I did a quick google, and found a suggestion for Red Gravy just off Canal. I’ve been there before, but didn’t see it on the menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

eke out posted:

you can probably go to whatever respectable cajun/creole place that has it on the menu and it'll be fine, but an italian place in the CBD is probably not the best choice

Yeah, I was sceptical too. I just found it on a thread on another site dated a few years back. Everyone was jumping on to recommend it at Red Gravy, so I don’t know what to tell you. My meal I had there was ok, but nothing amazing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The Ruby Slipper (local chain with a bunch of spots, but pretty good breakfast food).

Oh hey, that solves it. I went to the BR Ruby Slipper last time I was around and loved it there. Thanks!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Mushika posted:

e: I'd never even heard of Ruby Slipper and apparently I live like a block away from one. Is it worth checking out? There are quite a few good breakfast/brunch spots pretty close by that my wife and I usually go to, but we can actually walk to that one.

Oh definitely. You can work your way through all their eggs benedict combinations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ulmont posted:

It's on the brunch menu - http://www.elizabethsrestaurantnola.com/brunch/ - and looks like this:

That looks amazing. gently caress, I’m going for that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I ate 2 lbs of crab legs at Red Lobster last night and forgot to bring the shells home for stock. :doh:

Go to the seafood buffet at Harrahs on Friday night.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I picked up the classic River Road Recipes book last time I was in state because of multiple recommendations about it being the book to own. Finally got around to looking at recipes and it seems like (a) they’re all designed to feed about 50 people at a time, which is fair for Louisiana. And (2) a decent amount of them are prohibitively expensive to make out of state, and virtually impossible to make out of the country due to some ingredients.

You ain’t getting lump crabmeat or crawfish in Europe for reasonable prices. :saddowns:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’m glad I’m going to be around in NO in a few weeks, I’m so loving hungry right now.

I’ve somehow missed Cajun Seafood completely (like, I’ve never heard of it). I love cheap, filling good food.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Mushika posted:

It's ridiculous how close I live to New Orleans and how few of these restaurants I've been to.

I’ve added the ones I didn’t know about to my ‘want to go’ list on google maps.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

This got posted on Reddit in the BR sub, and dang that gumbo looks good at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5XXU47q9js

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I like how he fries chicken in the oil he uses for the roux! I'm gonna try that.

Yeah, that’s pretty genius. I’m generally bad at making a roux for some reason, but that looks like it might help me some. I’ve also never seen fried chicken used in gumbo?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

River Road Recipes is my go-to, although some of them are a little dated now, and others seem to depend on you feeding about 50 people per sitting.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Comb Your Beard posted:

Was watching beat Bobby Flay and the chef challenged him on Chicken Gumbo and won, pretty rare for a challenger to win.

I don’t know about that. Any time he has to do some regional/cultural dish, he loses.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I finally went to Dooky Chase's for lunch today. That's some good fried chicken.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Aww, Leah Chase (of Dooky Chase’s) has died. :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’m honestly mad you can’t buy that in NO, that sounds really nice.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Good Eats on Sunday had Alton Brown covering the fried oyster po’ boy. At least he used Crystal.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Binging with Babish also did the Simpsons thing (noting they got beat by the Swiss woman).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM8c31ru92A

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Someone needs to Pantone guide roux colours for reference.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Alright, it’s nearly time. Let’s talk king cakes. I like cream cheese filled from Ambrosia in BR.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh wow, that looks great. Is she single?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

Am I missing anything?

Nope, you’ve got breaking quarantine and being selfish down pat.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

I can quarantine a whole hell of a lot better in my beach house, dawg.

Ahh, you didn’t say you had a beach house. I thought you were just rocking up to the beach now it was open. Apologies.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hey, you guys wanna get mad? Also, the pronunciation of Leah, just to spite me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfrqxqR4bJo

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

eke out posted:

everything about the real recipe they are following seems insane to me: missing 2/3 of the trinity, no meats ever get browned, roux isn't dark, water instead of stock

What’s also weird is I’ve been to Dooky Chase and had the gumbo, and I don’t remember it being anything like that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Cross-posting from the Star Trek thread:

The_Doctor posted:

Oh man, this is a terrible book of recipes I just bought for 20p. :neelix:

The_Doctor posted:

They have the somewhat flimsy excuse it’s Neelix writing these recipes, and a creole jambalaya would contain tomatoes unlike a cajun one, but the rest of it is utter rubbish.

BAKED?! :gowron: :wtc:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

drgitlin posted:

Uh I think you’ll find Neelix is from the Delta Quadrant 🤓

The flyover quadrant.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

How thick are they? Thick enough to stuff?

If not then deep fry them and eat them on a sandwich.

gently caress. :stare:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There's a general Louisiana thread, but yes, cautiously optimistic. Shame nothing in Louisiana changed. My BR friend didn't even make it onto the Metro Council.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Dang that looks great. Happy thanksgiving y’all!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’m going to make gumbo this weekend, and my friend (whose recipe I’m using) says I should bake my roux. Is this a thing?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hhhnnngh.

I would like some please. It’ll mail fine to the UK, right? :ohdear:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Could you use something else? Rice is a staple all over the world, and there's various analogues. Couscous, cornmeal, polenta, etc. Jambalaya with grits would be interesting.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Merry Christmas y'all! What's on your menu tomorrow?

EDIT: Meme

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 24, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Nolacuisine, which has a bunch of recipes in the OP has vanished!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

Oh no! I just referenced the a couple weeks ago. Wonder what happened?

Suspended for giving out The Secrets.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I made this maque choux as a side today, and it came out great (I left out the jalapeño, might put it in next time).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Nolacuisine is already back. :toot:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

eke out posted:

i'm pretty sure there's an episode of Justin Wilson's show where he literally fries chicken then ladles some of the oil into a pot to make a roux for gumbo

it'll be fine

That’s a K-Paul thing he does in one of his vids in this thread, and it’s honestly mind blowing the first time you see it.

EDIT:

The_Doctor posted:

This got posted on Reddit in the BR sub, and dang that gumbo looks good at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5XXU47q9js

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Etoufee worked out very well. Vanished in minutes, so I’ll call this a big success.