Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

ashgromnies posted:

Thanks for the tips, Hollis.

Some friends and I are going to New Orleans the week of the 25th to spend Halloween there. We are staying in the French Quarter. What places should we make sure to try?

Port of call has wonderful burgers. Not Cajun though obviously.

I made chicken friccasse from the site in the op. 'Twas awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

I was gonna say, the only andouille I ever see around here is that grocery store pre-packaged poo poo. I've used it before, but I feel there are much much better options. Got a bunch of good Polish places nearby. A good smoked keilbasa would do the trick?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

So I'm doing the gumbo on page 1 today. Couldn't find dungess crab, and the only other options were snow or king and gently caress that poo poo. The store I went to did have crawfish on sale, so I got those. How exactly should I be using these? They're still in the shell.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

I made shrimp etouffe the other day and it was awesome. I'm pretty sure I could eat cajun/creole all loving day and get fat as hell.

Do people usually use fresh tomatoes in their etouffee? The pics I saw online were a bit more red and a much more smooth consistency than mine, which was kinda chunky. I diced up some tomatoes with everything else. Do you guys just dump in a tomatoe puree or stick a hand blender in your gravy?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

I usually use tinned myself. However, I did this at my gf's, and my options were tinned with basil or fresh. And since there were way too many fresh ones, I did those.

Maybe I just did not dice all my stuff fine enough? Any time I've had or seen etouffee, it is much less chunky than what I made.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

So I'm gonna be going to Arnaud's this week. I know the bananas foster is a big thing there. Anyone have any personal recommendation for dishes to try there?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Breaky posted:

Pompano en croute if you like fish. Be sure to get some bread pudding and Oysters Bienville, Crabmeat Karen too.

I ended up having the pompano and the oysters. Solid picks. The sauce and pastry on the fish was great

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

I do want to try veggie red beans and rice soon so my hippie siblings can have some. I've recently seen the light about ham hocks, which was like the missing ingredient in making my normal batch A+. Would a little vinegar to taste get me a similar flavor, or would I need a little of something else too?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You could add liquid smoke.

Yeah I figured that much. I guess I wasn't clear but I've been using Hormel picked pork hocks. That's where I was getting the vinegar from

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

I can't seem to find a store that does andouille in North Jersey. I don't wanna gently caress with some Hillschire farms knockoff. I've just gotten good smoked keilbasa and it works very well in any dishes I've done.

On the topic of throwing in your veggies into the roux, what's the logic behind that? I've seen different takes on it, and I know the Nola recipes site in the OP adovcates for it (while also throwing in some trinity later on for more texture).

On that note, I am making the catfish courtbullion recipe from that site in the op. It is still cooking a bit, and tastes very good, but it's also really similar to etouffe is it not? I've never actually hat courtbullion in a restaurant, so I don't have a good basis for comparison as I do with other dishes. I do feel like I probably should have darkened my roux a bit more. It was almost like milk chocolate in color.

e: finished product

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 30, 2014

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

gently caress yeah. Stuffed tomatoes, cabbage, peppers, etc rule.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Niceeee

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Niceeee.

I've had tasso before and it's pretty great, but I've never tried making. Is there a standard cut of meat used for it??

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Dark roux smells absolutely wonderful.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Shooting Blanks posted:

Go to Coop's. It is a tiny hole in the wall but the food is awesome.

Seconding the hell out of this. It's about as divey as it gets, but the food is awesome. I never heard of any of the other times until this past year. I was amped because of the food, and the promise of a roving bulldog that hangs there. I did not see the dog, but the food rules. The jambalaya is what's up. Get it supreme.

and I didn't see it since it's pretty much a tourist place by now, but the Verti Mart's All That Jazz poboy is meant to be consumed when you can't see straight.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Mushika posted:

Is Ozzy still around? I haven't been to Coop's in a few years, but Ozzy was looking a bit grizzled the last time I was there. I hope he's still kicking.

I haven't been to Verti Mart in many years. I've heard it has changed a lot, but I do have very fond memories of french fry poboys at three in the morning.

e: fond and vague

I was there in March and didn't see him :( I didn't wanna be the guy to ask about a dead dog to his owner. But yeah, love that bar.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Comb Your Beard posted:

So there was a murder recently from a fight that started from an argument about a gumbo recipe.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/florida-state-mascot-killed-gumbo-argument-article-1.2275168

I want that recipe.

it's probably pretty bad that this was my first thought too...

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

That Works posted:

Kielbasa will work fine

Yeah I just use the smokiest and spicest i can find.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

those are some good looking gumbos

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

I have a gigundo pot of red beans and rice and I love it. I was too lazy to do po boys so I'll probably make some for myself later in the week, maybe gumbo too, and see if I can't gain 15 pounds by Sunday

I wish I had tasso to throw in there

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

I always get excited when this gets bumped, but upset when I see no pics.

Content: top 10 recipes in Prudhomme's LK?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

that's a fine looking jambalya, sir. Thankfully we escaped the snow here in NJ.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

10 Beers posted:

Jambalaya turned out great! Gonna make red beans and rice tomorrow. Gonna make the rice separately, but any tips for the beans themselves?

pickled pork hocks rule. Works' suggestions are good. The GWS wiki for RB&R is a solid recipe as well

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Phil Moscowitz posted:

My father in law makes etouffee 5-6 gallons at a time and freezes them in quart containers to stick the freezer. Great to pull out on a winter night.

I never gave much thought to this but poo poo.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

I would like to take a crack at king cake this year. Anyone have a good recipe??

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

That Works posted:

This is Emeril's.

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/dessert/king-cake.html

I don't really have a great one on tap, my family always just made a sort of brioche / cinnamon roll and snaked that out then turned it into a ring.

I've had them done a lot of different ways, basically its just a big sweet yeast bread and you dress it up with a glaze and the colored sugar.

awesome, thank you!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

That Works posted:

Yep. I've lived in the Northeast for several years now. Finding Andouille at all is tough and the ones I do get are typically not that great or worth the inflated cost. Kielbasa works awesome as a replacement. Never not make cajun food if you can sub the andouille with something else.

Yeah, I am in the north east as well. Far more good Polish places than places that carry andouille , so I often just pick up the smokiest keilbasa I can get. There's a good Hungarian butcher near me, and I always forget to try out something there as a sub.

also both of those look great!!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Discussion Quorum posted:

Now that we're finally seeing some cooler weather, I made my first gumbo of the year for the LSU-Ole Miss game. I tried something a little different this time - normally I brown my chicken in sausage in a skillet while I make my roux in the pot, then deglaze and dump the skillet into the pot later. This time I browned my chicken and sausage in the gumbo pot, then added the flour to the rendered fat (plus a bit of oil for volume). I don't think I will do it again because 1) the spices I put on the chicken, particularly the paprika, were starting to burn under the roux, meaning I had to bail out to the trinity earlier (and a little lighter) than intended, and 2) I think there was still some moisture in the oil, causing some (though not nearly all) of the flour to turn into tiny micro-dumplings that floated to the top of the gumbo rather than incorporate.

Still turned out tasty and will not go to waste. Shame the Saints game wasn't showing locally today. I had to watch the Texans get trampled instead :texas:

Y'all are gonna have to deal with the utensils, the pacifier should give you some idea how much time I have for dicking around with a camera while my food's getting cold :yayclod:

I made some today and actually tried it this way and I bailed before it got as dark as I wanted. I also didn't realize how little fat I had left so I needed to supplement with oil too, but I had a lot of fond I needed to scrape (I did chicken and sausage). FWIW Prudhomme's book suggests this way. I'm usually a little cautious about going too dark because on more than once occasion I've wasted a lot of time and then burnt my roux hah. It's not a dish I make a ton so but I'd think with more experience and finessse I'd be able to get it darker without burning. Either way, this is gonna be awesome in a couple hours and even better when it's fortified with leftover turkey

On that note, are there preferred darknesses based on what protein you are supposed to use?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Seconding that recipe. Also definitely make your own stock and spices

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

i've got a few bone in pork chops, any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

The_Doctor posted:

Any particular pastalaya recipe you guys like?

I would love this too.

Anyone got a good gumbo z'herbes recipe?