Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Hollismason posted:

Also, that whole " Cook your vegetables in the roux" is bullshit, you just made it turn into paste. It's just not a good idea, because if you makea thicker roux you'll have difficulty when you add your vegetables. This also get's rid of the moisture that the vegetables are going to have, and will not "thin" your roux.

Disagree. You can do it however you want; it's gumbo, it'll almost certainly turn out ok if you can cook at all, but putting the vegetables into the roux stops the roux from getting darker. That liquid you're talking about is what does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Very lazy instant pot chicken and sausage gumbo. Jarred roux, frozen okra, canned tomatoes-if only someone made frozen trinity. Very good for my first attempt at gumbo in a decade though!

EFB: Dude, they make trinity in plastic containers and if you look hard enough you'll find it in the freezer section of your local Wal-Mart too.

I have always been of the opinion that tomatoes in gumbo is a sign of the apocalypse, but my wife disagrees and she makes the post-Thanksgiving turkey gumbo, so I'm ok with it now

I have made many, many rouxs over the years and the jarred stuff is pretty good. The real key is the broth/stock. If you spend a couple of hours the night before you cook the gumbo making a decent stock, your gumbo stands a chance of being great as long as you don't gently caress up the roux.

That Works posted:

I have seen frozen diced pepper and onion in my stores freezer section so you're most of the way there if yours has that. I've used it for gumbo once upon a time and it was fine.

Broke down a turkey and parted it out, salted overnight, parts in the smoker, roasted the carcass and tossed it and onion, celery, garlic and carrot into the pot. Cooking that all day on the wood stove. Tonight will put back some of the smoked turkey and some sausage into this for the 1st turkey gumbo of the year.

Sweet.

rojay fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 30, 2020

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

eke out posted:

or you could always just copy the dish they did over at Peche and grill a whole fish then smother it in chimichurri

it's not creole but it is, technically, food from new orleans lol

edit: i forget if that dish was chimichurri or salsa verde but both are probably delicious

Salsa verde, I believe, but they change things up pretty regularly at Peche.

I never think to read this subforum, but I'll try to do so when I have more time over the weekend. I've had a side-gig as a food writer in New Orleans since 2007, and I had a food blog before that. I'm no longer as up to date on new restaurants as I used to be, but if anyone has a question about a restaurant or a recipe that I don't know off the top of my head, I'm pretty well set up to do some research.