Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I gumbo'd last night. It's awesome. Probably the second best gumbo I have ever had (the best actually being a down and dirty cajun joint in DALLAS of all places, called Nate's).

I got my roux to a tiny bit darker than milk chocolate. I wanted to take it darker, but the oil started smoking. I was using plain vegetable oil. If I want to go darker, should I use something with a higher smoke point, like canola?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Awesome, thanks. Any thoughts on using butter/clarified butter instead of oil for a roux?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Cream of mushroom soup, canned peas, beef and tater tots.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Where in Texas are you? In Austin, every HEB I have checked in carries one small row of Cajun Hollar andouille, which is pretty passable actually.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
My old stomping grounds! Vanillaville indeed. Your Eatzi's there may actually carry good andouille. Definitely make the trip down to Hebert's (cajun butcher) at some point though. Just a quick trip down the tollway to Inwood.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yup!

I am somehow bringing more joy to the people of Dallas after I moved away, than I ever did while I lived there... Hmmm....

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Every time we get a rotisserie chicken, or roast a chicken ourselves, or butcher a chicken, I throw the carcass in the freezer and when I have 3 or so I make stock with the bones. Nothing wrong with freezing carcasses for use later. Same with shrimp head/shells, crab shells, lobster shells, fish bones, crawfish shells, etc.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I consider broth way less annoying than roux. For broth you just need to cut some stuff into a couple big pieces, toss them in a pot with water, and leave it on med-low for a few hours. Roux is constant stirring for 30-45 minutes, with a relatively narrow margin for failure if going for a dark chocolate roux.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

The recipe called for a chocolate roux, though. Is that not chocolate-colored? :confused:

I actually think the color is okay. I always take my gumbo rouxs that dark. That being said, I have never seen a roux cling to the sides of the pot like that. The weird pattern on the spoon is also really weird. Roux should be an even, very thin coat on the sides and spoon.

edit: poo poo, it also looks super bubbly (or clumpy?) in the pot. By the time a roux is that dark, all of the moisture is gone, and very little, if any, bubbling happens. What did you put into/do to that thing?

Double edit: You also have a lighter tan colored residue on top that I have never seen on a roux I have made.

triple edit: Okay yeah, the pattern on the spoon and sides definitely makes me think you went all the way to polymerizing the oil. What kind of oil did you use?

I can't stop going back to gaze into the abyss of that pot.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 6, 2017

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
It's nothing. 99.9% chance it's just flakes that were still stuck on the pan you are using. Little bits of fresh roux are not going to turn black before the rest of the batch gets any color at all.

Let us know how it turns out!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
They'll look the same in about 24 hours.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The single best meal I have had across 5 trips to NO was at Coop's Place near you on Decatur. It's a dive bar with a kitchen, Very traditional, relaxed cajun.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Like... I'm sure it's fine, but... I am not sure how much easier or faster pulling it in and out of the microwave 14+ times and stirring while hoping it doesn't bubble over and ruin everything, is... I'd rather just gently stir for 30 minutes.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Personally, I prefer a thicker, darker gumbo by just using an absurd ratio of roux to everything else. :getin:

On another note, has anyone tried the America's Test Kitchen baked flour roux method? Seems like heresy, but the result looks pretty loving legit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inHVUFKSdy4&t=145s

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Oh poo poo yeah, good call. Missing out on a TON of flavor from fat.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Even if the fat itself is not super flavorful, it carries flavors well and adds a lot to texture.

I make two gigantic batches of gumbo every year. Next batch is coming up next month. I may take some of the ingredients and do a small test batch or two with the toasted flour and see how it works out. Probably a small batch of just the toasted flour then another with toasted flour and oil mixed. I'll also keep some toasted flour in a ziplok for a few months, and see how well it keeps.

If it tastes just as good, and keeps well, that could be huge. Removing an hour of constant stirring would make me want to make gumbo more often.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
He seems like a good dude, doing good stuff, and Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives is like, my platonic ideal for a show. Good on him, I wish him the best, but there is something that just makes me super annoyed by him. I have realized at this point that it is a ME problem, and don't talk poo poo about him anymore, since there is no objective reason (other than style) to hate on him as far as I can tell.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Phil Moscowitz posted:

They basically freeze it on the boats anyway.

As far as hot sauce I’m partial to Melinda’s, which I guess is not Louisiana but I think is delicious.

Please don’t buy Melinda’s. It’s the it’s the company of the original shitbird distributor of Marie Sharp, who trademarked poo poo from under her, and then started selling without her.

Buy Marie Sharp’s sauces.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Phil Moscowitz posted:

That’s a shame, I didn’t realize that. I appreciate you pointing it out.

So it’s not Louisianan but Belizean. It was the first sauce I had here back in the 2000s that I thought was unique and good, and not generic vinegar hot sauce #29. If Marie Sharp’s sauces are like the original one then by all means buy them!

I legitimately like the Marie Sharp’s better too. In an interview, she said that to save costs, the original distributor stopped using her fresh Belizean chili mash and started buying cheap fermented mash from Costa Rica.

Marie Sharp’s will be a more fresh flavor. Might be less matched to Cajun/Creole stuff though.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Seafood gumbo to wake this thread up.

I made a roux to put in the fridge for a gumbo tomorrow. Never done this before, I’ll let you know how it goes.

That's a FINE looking gumbo!

Prepping roux in advance totally works, just be prepared for a workout tomorrow. The flour will settle out of the oil and become a brick on the bottom. It will take enough force to break it up initially that you will want to be really careful in that glass container.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Do you think it would make sense to heat the jar of roux in hot water? Just spitballing here.

Sadly, not much, nope. It’s not a fat viscosity thing, it’s a starch thing. Mix 50/50 corn starch and water, then let it sit for a day. It’ll be a brick at the bottom.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Shooting Blanks posted:

Oddly enough I just ran into this the first time recently. Is there a solution, or is it simply a matter of using the jar fast enough/making a point of stirring it every day?

Transfer the peanut butter to a 500mL beaker with a large stir rod. Leave it on a stir plate on high at all times. You’ll want to keep your house above 90f inside to allow for a viscosity capable of being vortexed.

Klyith posted:

Leave the jar on its side and the solids are much easier to break up / stir.

This might also work.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Nice muff.

The jarred roux worked perfectly. I only kept it for a day, but it didn’t really even coagulate. Most cane fight out and the rest easily spooned out. Tasted great too.

Nice!

Speaking of roux, did anyone ever try out the ATK baked dry flour roux? I haven’t made another batch of gumbo since we talked about it, but am planning on trying soon if nobody else has.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

That Works posted:

My mom did roux in the oven now and then and hers always worked well. I don't have specifics on how she did it though any more but it wasn't anything overly complex.

I've never tried it myself. Keep meaning to one day, might give it a go once it's cold out and I can run up the oven a lil longer.

It’s pretty common to do an oven roux, but with the flour and oil already mixed. The ATK method was unique in that they just dark toasted the flour dry, then made gumbo with it.

Any idea which your mom did?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Awesome. Gonna give that a go next time. Thanks.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I was planning on making a big batch of gumbo tomorrow, but am completely out of my usual canola oil and the store shelves here in post snowpocalypse Texas were completely bare today.

I’ve got two possible options for roux. 1) Used canola fry oil. It’s been used 3 times, filtered through a coffee filter each time and is perfectly clean, but it’s definitely a little darker than fresh, and certain smells like fry oil. 2) Crisco vegetable shortening. SeriousEats lists it as 360f smoke point.

I’m gonna try the store again first thing in the morning, but assuming no luck, I’m better off with the used fry oil yeah? I mean, it was used to fry floured things, so like, presumably the flavor it has right now is what it would have gotten at the dark blonde/medium roux temp anyway yeah?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks all! Gonna go with the fry oil, and just give it a sniff before adding trinity to make sure it’s normal. It doesn’t smell bad at all now, it just smells like fry oil.

neogeo0823 posted:

Do you have any butchers around that are still open? See if they have any fat, or rendered lard/tallow/schmaltz. The last time I made gumbo, I went looking for pork fat to make lard. Couldn't find any, but found beef fat at $2/lb, so bought like $6 of that and made tallow. I got enough to make the dish and has enough left to cool into little butter-stick-like bars for regular cooking. Super easy to render down, to. Just takes some time.

Outside of that, the Crisco's gonna be overall less healthy for you(lol), but the fry oil will carry flavors over, so if it smells kinda bad now...

EDIT: To clarify, yes, I realize where you are, so it might be entirely possible there's absolutely nothing available, but un-rendered fat is often considered a garbage product that's not typically sought-after, so maybe?

I’ve currently got access to about 3 1/2 gallons of rendered, paper filtered tallow, and somewhere in the neighborhood of 100lbs of beef trim per week that I trim off of briskets.

I’ve used tallow for just about a million other things (including chocolate chip cookies, which were GREAT), but never thought to use it with roux. Will definitely experiment with that in the future, but this batch is for friends who just had a baby and I want to give them my normal dialed-in recipe. Tallow/lard is gonna be majorly different than canola, but probably great. Just don’t wanna take that chance this time.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Crossposting from the smoking thread.

Doom Rooster posted:

Listen, some people may tell you to check the weather before planning a big project for the weekend. Don’t listen to them. You do not need that kind of negativity in your life.

Is it 3 degrees F out there? Yes. Is it snowing? Also yes. Did I already plan to make sausage? Hell yes.

12lbs of coarse andouille for cooking, and 8lbs of finer grind for grilling and eating. Not pictured, 4lbs I didn’t add milk powder to, but added some dextrose and starter culture to before fermenting and cold smoking. We’ll see how andouille salami is in 2 months.

Coarse

In a pot of red beans for dinner tonight.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Gonna have to disagree. That looks like good gumbo, but there is a huge difference in flavor as the roux gets darker, which I personally vastly prefer.

I have burned it once and it separated/got bitter, but every other batch is incredible. It’s personal preference, and completely worth a darker batch to see if you like it better.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Klyith posted:

Oh right, I've got a bone to pick with everyone ITT about Crystal! I finally got some and I don't get it at all.

It's not that hot, and has a ton of salt. Pretty much a slightly hotter cholula. So if you use it on something that's already got good seasoning but you want to add heat, you have to use a big glug and you end up over-salted.

I'd take tabasco any day of the week. Crystal will be nice for putting on eggs tho.

Yeah, Crystal for me is not a general purpose hot sauce. Crystal is THE sauce for gumbo, jambalaya, anything creole/cajun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Absolutely Filthy Rice