Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

this rules

https://twitter.com/sbnation/status/1557475578982326273?s=21&t=reryRw-gcb_af4dmLk2F7A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Asking for a friend, what's the best way to boycott the world cup and still watch the matches? Stream it? Is there any meaningful action that FIFA, sponsors or broadcasters would notice?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Not buying the panini stickers. The line must be drawn

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

greazeball posted:

Asking for a friend, what's the best way to boycott the world cup and still watch the matches? Stream it? Is there any meaningful action that FIFA, sponsors or broadcasters would notice?

I don't think FIFA will care about you considering the other billion people watching.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Ok, everyone, I hope you're all sitting down for this news, which brings me no joy but it sounds like Qatar might be a bit of a clusterfuck:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/world-cup-2022-qatar-opened-its-massive-lusail-stadium-and-the-reviews-were-not-great-134801410.html

quote:

Once the match ended, the stadium received a litany of poor reviews from fans who attended, according to Reuters and Doha News. Lack of hydration stations and bathrooms, poor air conditioning and long public transportation lines were the biggest issues fans had with the stadium where the World Cup final will be played on Dec. 18.

Fan accounts from the match were fairly negative:

"This is such a mess," Eslam, an Egyptian fan who lives in Qatar, told Reuters. "I don't want to go to the World Cup anymore. Not if it's like this."
“I had to carry my young son because he was tired from walking and was so dehydrated," Mohammed told Doha News. "There was no water at all, the volunteers kept saying ‘I don’t know’ every time I asked how far we have left."
“I spent 20 minutes looking for the female bathroom," one fan told Doha News. "For some reason, no one knew where it was. Everyone gave the wrong directions. It was so tiring and frustrating,” another one added.

"Even some ambulances were driving around trying to figure out where they were supposed to be positioned," one anonymous supplier told Reuters. "We were given the wrong directions over and over and the parking passes we had were for lots that didn't exist."

At least it didn't take literally thousands of lives from poor migrants across Asia to provide this incredible experience for the global sports' premier event!

Bonus is an Infantino quote from that that article earlier this year that I hadn't heard before:

quote:

Infantino saying that Qatar's migrant World Cup workers are operating in "hard conditions" — and those "hard conditions" should give them "dignity and pride" — is a shocking way to characterize what they've reportedly been dealing with. Amnesty International has documented that workers in Qatar are being "exploited" and "subjected to forced labor," which were huge concerns even in 2010 when Qatar was awarded the 2022 World Cup.

Additionally, Infantino claimed that FIFA had "changed" the conditions in Qatar.

"It’s also a matter of pride and to have been able to change the conditions for these 1.5 million people, this is something that makes us as well proud,” Infantino said via the AP. He did not offer details about what FIFA had "changed" as far as working conditions.

Urgh, gently caress FIFA so hard

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Still time for them to sort out minor logistical concerns re: 'hydration' and 'ambulances'

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

People are gonna die

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
They already have

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
white people*

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

sticksy posted:

Urgh, gently caress FIFA so hard

Dangerously close to a slogan on a steel gate, this.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Apparently UEFA pre-prepared their statement about "late fans" causing problems at the Champions League final well in advance in the expectation that if anything went wrong with their botch job rearrangement they could just blame the fans and walk away with their own hands clean.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I seem to remember some idiotic posters on here who were quick to blame the fans. I hope they feel silly.

UEFA and the French police will without a doubt not have to face any consequences.

Edit: people should read this as well

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2022/sep/21/liverpool-real-madrid-paris-stade-de-france-champions-league

Xabi fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 21, 2022

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I made the joke at the time but they actually did just mash the big button labelled 'you know what them scousers are like though', incredible

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

the sex ghost posted:

I made the joke at the time but they actually did just mash the big button labelled 'you know what them scousers are like though', incredible

It also seems kind of astonishing that their 20 minutes of actual preparation was also based entirely around this concept

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

webmeister posted:

It also seems kind of astonishing that their 20 minutes of actual preparation was also based entirely around this concept
And their big justification after the fact was the incredibly wrong "BUT LOOK AT WHAT THEIR FANS DID AT HILlSBOROUGH!"

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

bald johnny spotted in bangkok. whenever bald johnny is not on camera the fans should be asking where is bald johnny.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/kenbensinger/status/1616607869494763521?s=46&t=xvhHJgsnhH2_up8uC2-Qbg

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

quote:

Fox Corporation, which broadcast the recent World Cup in Qatar and holds the rights to the 2026 tournament in North America, existed under a different corporate name and structure when the bribes took place and is not on trial in Brooklyn. When allegations about Fox’s potential involvement in corrupt acts emerged during the first trial, the company denied any knowledge, calling any suggestion to the contrary “emphatically false.”

It has continued to distance itself from the bribery, and the former Fox executives, this week. “This case involves a legacy business that has no connection to the new Fox Corporation,” a company spokesman said this week. The spokesman noted that Fox International Channels, the subsidiary accused of involvement in bribes, and many other units that were part of a company then known as 21st Century Fox, were sold in 2019.

lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
well this is extremely grim

https://twitter.com/ruchirsharma_1/status/1620090548140019712?s=20

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Today I feel like a stray dog

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Cool, the country where women need permission from a man to do basically anything is going to be a sponsor for the Women’s World Cup later this year

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jan/31/womens-world-cup-football-sponsored-visit-saudi-arabia

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

webmeister posted:

Cool, the country where women need permission from a man to do basically anything is going to be a sponsor for the Women’s World Cup later this year

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jan/31/womens-world-cup-football-sponsored-visit-saudi-arabia

That kind of reminds me of when I lived in China in 2007-2008 and they hosted the Special Olympics right before the Beijing Olympics and I saw this on a restroom door in their largest and most cosmopolitan city

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

sticksy posted:

That kind of reminds me of when I lived in China in 2007-2008 and they hosted the Special Olympics right before the Beijing Olympics and I saw this on a restroom door in their largest and most cosmopolitan city

Shanghai?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Akbar posted:

Shanghai?

Yep

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:
Next world cup will be 104 matches over 40
days 🫠

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1635648896713015297?s=20

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Not enough IMHO.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Endless world cup, never ceasing, demanding new stadium construction and bribes globally in a neverending cycle.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
With 4 team groups the level of play in the group stage is now likely to drop off considerably. In the 3-team groups, it was planned that 2 teams were going to advance, meaning there would always be notably weaker team to round out the 3. With groups of 4 I'm expecting there will now be 2 good teams, one average team, and one abysmal team in every group.

Congratulations and welcome to your first World Cup Thailand, enjoy losing by 8 every game while the other teams try and pad their GD.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Right from the start, the expansion to 48 teams was guaranteed to be a shitshow, but at least they didn't go with the absolutely horrendous 3-team group idea.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Just shoot the players in the knee on live TV

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Maybe Canada can get a point now :unsmith:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

stab posted:

Maybe Canada can get a point now :unsmith:

lol

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

With 4 team groups the level of play in the group stage is now likely to drop off considerably. In the 3-team groups, it was planned that 2 teams were going to advance, meaning there would always be notably weaker team to round out the 3. With groups of 4 I'm expecting there will now be 2 good teams, one average team, and one abysmal team in every group.

Nah I'm expecting:
Group A
Fiji
Benin
Argentina
Host Country

Group B
South Korea
Senegal
Portugal
Netherlands

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Simplex posted:

Nah I'm expecting:
Group A
Fiji
Benin
Argentina
Host Country

Group B
South Korea
Senegal
Portugal
Netherlands

I think Qatar still fails to qualify out of Group A

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Pook Good Mook posted:

I think Qatar still fails to qualify out of Group A

So would Mexico given the last world cup.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Australia will still end up in a group with France and Denmark

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://twitter.com/martynziegler/status/1636289099521826820

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Imagining a game solely made by FIFA. We're gonna see microtransaction levels beyond imagination

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

You'll have to pay real money transfer fees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
They will expand the game to include all 209 Fifa member countries, but only have the official domestic competitions for the African and Oceanian nations as they bribed the most.