Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Teddles posted:

It would be nice if some of the teams stepped up and refused to use any infrastructure/hotel/stadium that was built by this labour.

All unskilled construction labour makes between £150-200 a month, with most having to pay back a visa and loan shark for years after they arrive. Passports are kept by the sponsor and exit permits required to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Colloquially known as slavery or human trafficking, but I wouldn't ever expect such things to give FIFA a moment's pause.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Most members of FIFA are old enough that they probably remember when official slavery was a thing and don't see what the big deal is.

Basically gently caress FIFA forever.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Basically the awarding of the World Cup to Qatar has to be challenged in court, with the only acceptable outcome being the 2022 World Cup stripped from those loving joke merchants and awarded to a country that actually deserves it. I'd also accept the death by angry mob of the FIFA Executive Committee but that might be a long shot. I'd like to see corruption charges though, maybe that's more realistic. It's just such naked blatant corruption & hubris and it bothers me so so much.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Russia must be so pleased that a worse country bribed FIFA at the same time as they did

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
"Hmm, this is the second largest sporting event in the world, watched by hundreds of millions of people whenever it happens. Clearly we should leave it in the hands of old corrupt kleptocrats to decide everything about it, even though literally every casual observer knows it was fixed and it is now actually costing real people their lives."

gently caress FIFA. At least people usually don't die when the IOC decides to be insanely corrupt.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
I know there is literally zero chance of this happening, I probably won't even do it, but this is a very good reason to boycott the event entirely.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

There's a slew of good reasons to boycott it. Everything from the problems stemming from Qatar being a sharia country, the cost of their bid, their disregard of human rights and the obvious corruption of FIFA.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

T. Finninho posted:

Basically the awarding of the World Cup to Qatar has to be challenged in court, with the only acceptable outcome being the 2022 World Cup stripped from those loving joke merchants and awarded to a country that actually deserves it. I'd also accept the death by angry mob of the FIFA Executive Committee but that might be a long shot. I'd like to see corruption charges though, maybe that's more realistic. It's just such naked blatant corruption & hubris and it bothers me so so much.

Unfortunately I dont think there exists anyone powerful enough to stop them. The only way Fifa could effectively be harmed would be if the European, South American + Japan/S.Korean teams agreed a boycott and single handedly cut off the major advertising revenue for their tournaments.

But can you honestly see those nations, all run by people equally as corrupt and interested in sticking to the status quo doing something that would effectively ruin their domestic leagues?

Fifa exist out of the control of any governing body and by being based in Switzerland it absolves them of almost any financial crime too.

They're untouchable.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

vyelkin posted:

gently caress FIFA. At least people usually don't die when the IOC decides to be insanely corrupt.

Given how Brazil is razing favelas to build infrastructure who's to say

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

corpuscollossus posted:

All unskilled construction labour makes between £150-200 a month, with most having to pay back a visa and loan shark for years after they arrive. Passports are kept by the sponsor and exit permits required to leave.

quote:

A major barrier to redressing labor abuses is the kafala (sponsorship) system, which ties a migrant worker’s legal residence to his or her employer, or “sponsor.” Migrant workers cannot change jobs without their sponsoring employer’s consent, except in exceptional cases with permission from the Interior Ministry.
If a worker leaves his or her sponsoring employer, even if fleeing abuse, the employer can report the worker as “absconding,” leading to detention and deportation.

In order to leave Qatar, migrants must obtain an exit visa from their sponsor, and some said sponsors denied them these visas. Workers widely reported that sponsors confiscated their passports, in violation of the Sponsorship Law.

Literally slavery. For fucks sake.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
The best case scenario is that domestic leagues realise the massive arseache this will cause and refuse to release players. Unfortunately at that point the Premier League, Bundesliga, Serie A and La Liga all go "Hang on, whilst we're seceding from FIFA, we may as well get that European superleague going, n'est pas?" and then top flight football really is dead forever.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Scotland have been boycotting World Cups for ages it doesn't make any difference

Blue Star Error fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 26, 2013

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Psybro posted:

The best case scenario is that domestic leagues realise the massive arseache this will cause and refuse to release players. Unfortunately at that point the Premier League, Bundesliga, Serie A and La Liga all go "Hang on, whilst we're seceding from FIFA, we may as well get that European superleague going, n'est pas?" and then top flight football really is dead forever.

As much as I'd like that to happen, can you actually see a way that the top clubs in each leagues, used to getting favoured over the rest of the dross in their countries, somehow making a deal that they'd all agree to?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
The best case scenario is a tactical nuclear strike on FIFA HQ when everyone's there.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Actually its them being arrested while in Brazil and thrown in prison for fraud, bribery and whatever and never let out again.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Reminder that FIFA are a NPO and don't pay any taxes.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Adulterous Hitler posted:

Also that the main reason they chose not to host the world cup in England + Australia is that their governments refused to make all the sponsor payments tax free too.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Also, reminder that FIFA has an official "Ethics Committee" and the Senior Vice-President of FIFA, Julio Grondona, says poo poo like this:

quote:

Yes, I voted for Qatar, because a vote for the US would be like a vote for England, and that is not possible [...] But with the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left.

If only The FA gave back the Falklands.

Also, this:

quote:

I do not believe a Jew can ever be a referee at this level. It's hard work and, you know, Jews don't like hard work.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Tigren posted:

Also, reminder that FIFA has an official "Ethics Committee" and the Senior Vice-President of FIFA, Julio Grondona, says poo poo like this:

This is why I want them dead

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Tigren posted:

Also, this:

Jesus Christ.

Gin Soaked Ape
May 4, 2004

I always expect the worst from FIFA and yet I'm still surprised when I read about them

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I imagine if the worlds press start in on them about poo poo like that you might start to see some pressure applied, but still nothing will ever change.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

vyelkin posted:

Hum yeah I doubt the Beijing games were deathless.

Also Blatter is an IOC member, so yeah.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Tigren posted:

quote:

Yes, I voted for Qatar, because a vote for the US would be like a vote for England, and that is not possible [...] But with the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left.

The idea of punishing America for the UK owning the Falklands (whose residents overwhelmingly want to remain part of the UK) is so loving stupid it's hard to even contemplate.

quote:

I do not believe a Jew can ever be a referee at this level. It's hard work and, you know, Jews don't like hard work.

Revolting. I can't believe this person actually unironically believes in the hateful stereotype of the lazy, shiftless Jew.

...Wait, hold on, that's not even a real stereotype. No one's ever said that. That.... holy gently caress, this guy isn't even good at being racist.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

I imagine if the worlds press start in on them about poo poo like that you might start to see some pressure applied, but still nothing will ever change.

That was tried a while back after the bids were announced and Blatter was formally named as being corrupt by Interpol, all that happened was the EU demanded inspectors who were forced to resign after it became clear FIFA had no intention to work with them.

MisterBadIdea posted:

Revolting. I can't believe this person actually unironically believes in the hateful stereotype of the lazy, shiftless Jew.

...Wait, hold on, that's not even a real stereotype. No one's ever said that. That.... holy gently caress, this guy isn't even good at being racist.

Sadly that is actually a real stereotype, "The jew" would rather rip people off while they do all the hard work for him. It's almost a criticism of modern corporatism, except it predates it by centuries and died when lazy, workshy people ripping you off became a real thing. Then people just switched into jewbankers/lizards/control the world.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 26, 2013

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5R9Ur44XV8

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Tigren posted:

Also, this:

Same guy is also the chairman of the Finance Committee.

e: and deputy chairman of Strategic Committee. gently caress FIFA.

Hegay fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 26, 2013

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Grondona is a fat piece of poo poo that's for sure. Can you imagine what Argentinian football would be like without the influence of such corrupt shits?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

MisterBadIdea posted:

It's definitely a stereotype I think, I'm not an expert though, you should ask the Bundesliga thread.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Tigren posted:

Jepp Fatter, some other rich corrupt piece of poo poo.

They sound like Star Wars EU characters or something.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Adulterous Hitler posted:

They are basically a for-profit company except instead of paying out dividends to shareholders they pay out "gifts" to "friends"

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

tekz posted:

It's definitely a stereotype I think, I'm not an expert though, you should ask the Bundesliga thread.

No need for this in the modern game!

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
Jack Warner's replacement Jim Boyce has called for an immediate FIFA investigation into Qatar.

The odds on the world governing body for football finding no evidence of abuse or giving Qatar a slap on the wrist and endorsing a joke of a world cup hosted in stadiums built by slaves is so mind-fuckingly real that we're almost living out the plot of a poo poo 90's Van Damme action movie.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Not just stadiums, the entire loving city that's supposed to host the finals doesn't even exist yet. gently caress everything about this bid and the human filth that let it happen.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Reminder there's only around ~300.000 Qataris in Qatar. The rest is immigrant labourers, many of them living in horrible conditions.

Then again, it's no wonder their need almost two million labourers when you keep in mind that Qatar at the moment only have around 16.800 hotel rooms. They don't have the infrastructure needed to host a World Cup. The expectations for South Africa 2010 was around ~450.000 tourists and that was in the middle of a recession. Brazil is hoping for around ~600.000.

Hegay fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 27, 2013

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
The UN International Labour Organisation has now warned Qatar about forced labour too

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/27/qatar-failing-forced-labour-un

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
Gotta admit, all that time we spent complaining about how a schedule change would affect the '22 Premier League season seems kind of silly now.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

MisterBadIdea posted:

Gotta admit, all that time we spent complaining about how a schedule change would affect the '22 Premier League season seems kind of silly now.

Qatar have been well-known to kill slaves to build things for a long, long time. I'd reckon people were focused on the issue of the schedule because it was the only chance any of the FAs would give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Spangly A posted:

Qatar have been well-known to kill slaves to build things for a long, long time. I'd reckon people were focused on the issue of the schedule because it was the only chance any of the FAs would give a poo poo.

Yeah and not just Qatar, the entire region isn't exactly a poster child for labour friendliness. If I recall correctly the UAE human rights record is atrocious as well.