Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
Considered as a whole, Yorkshire has a better claim than Qatar, and if granted independence from the UK would avoid the unfashionability of the UK in world politics.

Consider the huge international leverage of cricket in south Asia, and the internationally popular exports of beer and Finchy from the Office.

Psybro fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Psybro posted:

Considered as a whole, Yorkshire has a better claim than Qatar, and if granted independence from the UK would avoid the unfashionability of the UK in world politics.

Consider the huge international leverage of cricket in south Asia, and the internationally popular exports of beer and Finchy from the Office.

Hmmm, Leeds (both Elland Road and Headingley), Hull, Doncaster, Huddersfield, Sheffield (both Bramall Lane and Hillsborough), Bradford (either Valley Parade or Odsal will do), Wakefield Trinity's new ground, something new in York, something new in Halifax...

Draw up a mascot of a whippet wearing a flat cap and with a mug of Bovril and we're sorted.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

T. Finninho posted:

I WANT THEM ALL DEAD

Well they are old and quite fat, so in all likelyhood a significant percentage of them will die before the Qatar World Cup rolls around. Those will be fun days.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Der Shovel posted:

Well they are old and quite fat, so in all likelyhood a significant percentage of them will die before the Qatar World Cup rolls around. Those will be fun days.

This is the worst bit. They had two votes for one last pay day and they don't even have to see the steaming turd of a World Cup they've left us with. Hopefully before 2022 war breaks out or something but even then FIFA would probably find an excuse to keep it there.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Der Shovel posted:

Reminder that Platini voted for Qatar and he is almost certainly going to be the next FIFA president

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Scott Bakula posted:

Reminder that Platini voted for Qatar and he is almost certainly going to be the next FIFA president

And that's my week ruined.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Scott Bakula posted:

I really don't think we can realistically rule out Blatter outliving Platini. He may harvest his life force for another term. If Sepp lived to be 165 it would not even remotely surprise me.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Scott Bakula posted:

And he did not because he wanted to see the World Cup in a new place, or because he got his pocket lined with millions of monetary unit thingers for it, but instead because he let the French president intimidate him into doing it so France could get Petromoney.

Yeah he'll make a great FIFA president.

jack3485
Aug 14, 2007

MisterBadIdea posted:

FIFA: And the 2022 World Cup goes to... Qatar!
Toby: Actually, I didn't think it was appropriate to give it to Qatar since it's... You know, it gets 150 degrees in the summer... moving it to winter would disrupt all the leagues... you can't drink... it's illegal to be gay... And, you know, slaves. You know, is that enough? Should I keep going?
FIFA: gently caress you, I'm FIFA.

Haha this is brilliant!

jack3485 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 5, 2013

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
it's good and cool that the Guardian newspaper have been on Qatar's and FIFA's case about corruption etc the whole time with utmost consistency

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2010/nov/25/world-cup-2022-qatar-fifa

(the comments, lmao)

quote:

Full disclosure:
Louise Taylor was on a press trip to Qatar with several other national newspaper and broadcasting journalists, ahead of the decision for the 2022 World Cup next week.
During the trip Louise wrote news stories about the Brazil v Argentina match and on Alex Ferguson ("I'm in no mood for retiring at Manchester United").
She was asked to write a comment piece about her impressions of Qatar.

(more hours pass)

quote:

The trip was organised and paid for by the Qatar 2022 World Cup bid committee.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Babby Thatcher posted:

it's good and cool that the Guardian newspaper have been on Qatar's and FIFA's case about corruption etc the whole time with utmost consistency

(the comments, lmao)

(more hours pass)

Yeah drat you sure got them

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Babby Thatcher posted:

(the comments, lmao)

(more hours pass)

I wonder how many six figure gold watches she managed to slip by HMRC on her way back to the uk.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

quote:

An unprecedented opportunity awaits to forge fresh, enhanced understanding with the Arab world.

Well I'd say a wider understanding of how things work in the Gulf is certainly spreading.

Dickail Bulgeakov
Jan 15, 2012

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

This is the worst bit. They had two votes for one last pay day and they don't even have to see the steaming turd of a World Cup they've left us with. Hopefully before 2022 war breaks out or something but even then FIFA would probably find an excuse to keep it there.

A war in the middle east is a small price to pay to bring football home

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Psybro posted:

Well I'd say a wider understanding of how things work in the Gulf is certainly spreading.

I agree. I had no idea it was hot there

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Giving Fifa a lift after another tough month: the prompt conclusion of an inquiry into Qatari slave state allegations, led by Ali bin Samikh al-Marri, head of Qatar's national human rights committee. His verdict: "There is no slavery or forced labour in Qatar."

Again, you couldn't make this poo poo up.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Dickail Bulgeakov posted:

A war in the middle east is a small price to pay to bring football home

What better way to celebrate the launch of our new aircraft carriers than by using them to bring football home?

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Giving Fifa a lift after another tough month: the prompt conclusion of an inquiry into Qatari slave state allegations, led by Ali bin Samikh al-Marri, head of Qatar's national human rights committee. His verdict: "There is no slavery or forced labour in Qatar."

Again, you couldn't make this poo poo up.

This reminds me of the Abu Dhabi prince who had a thing for videoing torture seshs out in the desert where he'd ride over legs in his land cruiser and force feed sand and shoot an assault rifle round the head before adding it to his VHS stack for later, but after the video made the internet and the state department started huffing and gesturing they had a trial where it was adjudged that the torturee was fine with it, really.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Babby Thatcher posted:

(the comments, lmao)

(more hours pass)
Incidentally, this is pretty drat common in foreign reporting. Newsrooms can't afford or don't want to spend any money on sending reporters abroad, so they just rely on 'sponsored trips'. This can produce good pieces, if you're aware of what you're getting into. If you know what they'll try to hide, you can make something out of it. Unfortunately, many journalists don't have that knowledge. But it is very common.

During the two months I was interning at a small-ish foreign issues magazine (the type of magazine that focusses on the kind of issues the organisations that host these trips try to hide), we would regularly get calls with offers to go to Armenia, Colombia, Malaysia, etc. Our editor-in-chief would generally sigh, ask the room if anyone wanted to go to country x or y, get a bunch of 'not interested's or a 'I'd go, but I'm banned from that country' and then declined the offer. But I know that larger newspapers say yes far more often, to the point that they actually call the organisations themselves to enquire about the next trip.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Crazy Ted posted:

Phew!

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
Qatar killed Christian Benitez.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Qatar shot Salvador Cabañas in the temple.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Weaponized Cum posted:

Qatar shot Salvador Cabañas in the temple.

Apparently they hired Jozy.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Adulterous Hitler posted:

Apparently they hired Jozy.

Holy lmao

When I went to the CWC in Abu Dhabi it was p. sweet because of the Internacional and TP Mazembe fans but drat you wouldn't want to organise a tournament in those kinds of countries.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Gulf states will have clinical screenings at airport to 'detect' homosexuals and stop them entering the country

They cannot hold the loving tournament there, surely. What a farce.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Popehoist posted:

They cannot hold the loving tournament there, surely. What a farce.

Well see here's the thing. Being a decent human being and standing up to flagrant and offensive bigotry does not get Sepp Blatter millions of dollars in bribes. Smoothing things over and turning a blind eye to flagrant offenses towards basic human rights does.

The tournament will go ahead as planned even if literally everyone in the world protests.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Sounds like the Apartheid era pencil test. If the pencil drops he's def into the lads.

I work with a number of gays and Doha has a very active community. In Saudi it's even bigger due to the gender segregation: http://m.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2007/05/the-kingdom-in-the-closet/305774/

I'll be surprised if there's a thing to this.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

corpuscollossus posted:

This reminds me of the Abu Dhabi prince who had a thing for videoing torture seshs out in the desert where he'd ride over legs in his land cruiser and force feed sand and shoot an assault rifle round the head before adding it to his VHS stack for later, but after the video made the internet and the state department started huffing and gesturing they had a trial where it was adjudged that the torturee was fine with it, really.

Somehow didn't know about this. Incredible. Disgusting. Not surprising.

Here's an article about it in case I'm not the only one who missed it

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Jesus, that article.

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008
And another article about Quatar and their weird way of "honoring" contracts with their employees.

http://www.fifpro.org/news/news_details/2246

Which includes stuff like this:

FIFPro posted:

The former player for Nancy and Fulham recalls once more: ‘A very few days after training resumed - we were in the middle of training - they came up to see me and said I had to leave the club. I might have taken it for a joke, but I understood right away that the guy who’d come to tell me the news was not joking. I tried to discuss things, to understand, to convince, but there was no room for discussion, nothing to understand and no one to convince as soon as I learned that these were “orders from the Prince”. That was the only explanation I was finally able to get, accompanied, every time I tried to start a dialogue or negotiation, by another sentence that I heard who knows how many times: ”The Prince’s orders are not open to discussion”.’

FIFPro posted:

'But they gave me this parting message: “We are going to do everything we can to make this business drag on, so that you will be waiting for your money as long as possible. Four or five years minimum, we have a lot of influence with FIFA!” Those people don’t respect anything or anyone.’

Dickail Bulgeakov
Jan 15, 2012

TheBigAristotle posted:

Somehow didn't know about this. Incredible. Disgusting. Not surprising.

Here's an article about it in case I'm not the only one who missed it

I like the lawyer. worked for bush as well? guess he has a lot of experience helping brutal dictators #satire

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Oh, what a surprise!

quote:

Following a two-day hearing in Zurich, the FIFA Appeal Committee has decided to impose on Vernon Manilal Fernando a lifetime ban from taking part in any kind of football-related activity at national and international level.

quote:

He certainly throws his considerable weight around in some unexpected places. Like Port of Spain, Trinidad, in May this year, where for reasons yet to be adequately explained he arrived for a Caribbean Football Union meeting on a private jet from Doha in the company of [then] AFC president Mohamed Bin Hammam and fellow FIFA ex-co members Worawi Makudi and Hany Abo Rida. It was there he proceeded to get caught up in that alleged bribery business that brought down the flashy Qatari.

This. Is. All. hosed.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Romario calls FIFA corrupt, Sepp Blatter a thief, Valcke a blackmailer

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Maradona joining in

Maradona posted:

The FIFA directors are all over 95 years old" he said. "The people there are so old that they cannot even drive a car, so how do they lead the world of football?

Also said that FIFA only cares about business, seems like a lot of the legends is starting to put pressure on FIFA

http://www.inforegion.com.ar/noticia/60006/maradona-no-les-importa-el-futbol-solo-el-negocio

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Hegav posted:

Maradona joining in

Also said that FIFA only cares about business, seems like a lot of the legends is starting to put pressure on FIFA

http://www.inforegion.com.ar/noticia/60006/maradona-no-les-importa-el-futbol-solo-el-negocio

I'm sure FIFA will give lots of fucks about the opinions of people who no longer even play football.

It's great that legends are weighing in and all but lets face it, the likes of Maradonna are hardly beyond reproach and he's got some loving front to criticise corruption in the governing body when you just know he'd be giggling like an idiot in a vat of coke and whores if he was in Blatter's position.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

FIFpro, the union of professional football players, have already said they will boycott a Qatar summer World Cup.

e: Oh no it was a misquote: http://www.fifpro.org/news/news_details/2377

belgend fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Oct 19, 2013

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Hegav posted:

Maradona joining in

Pretty ageist to say you can't drive at 95, there are centenarians who ran the marathon.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
He could have at least been honest with the age-related criticism and say "They're all 95, they'll be dead before the Qatar World Cup actually happens, why would they care about how well it will go?"

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
So how long before Blatter just has himself declared President For Life?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24634466

quote:

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has given his strongest hint yet that he plans to stay on in the role past 2015 and finish "his mission".
[...]
Blatter, the only candidate to contest the 2011 election, has also suggested that presidential terms could be increased to an initial term of eight years with potential for a four-year extension.

"This is a good approach and I would support it," he said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

his mission to kill football?