Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Spangly A posted:

Isn't the superbowl the only sporting event that pulls more viewers than the WC? I can't see this happening, the sponsors of both would throw a shitfit.

Football is now so rotten I am hoping the loving sponsors will save it.

The World Cup pulls more and has done for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

St Evan Echoes posted:

Just one more logistical nightmare for them to handwave away I guess

At least we can look forward to laughing at a room full of decrepit liches trying to wave with Rolex's the size of golfballs strapped to their wrists.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Adulterous Hitler posted:

A WC/EC knockout phase without Italy participating is great bc it actually makes it possible for Germany to win that thing.

This but England

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

It's to allow the visiting dignitaries a chance to arrive into the stadium by helicopter and deliver a final symbolic loving of football.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Hegav posted:

When are China going to host the World Cup?

They're pumping their money into large scale infrastructure projects, so probably about 2 years after they finish to show them off (and just before they all fall apart).

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Suppose it makes sense when you have a country of 2,000,000 people and a projected stadium capacity of 600,000.

Maybe some of the slaves working the construction will get a break

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

pik_d posted:

Nah, those were the first to go

Nah, Bangladeshi passports, then the magic air conditioners

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

This is definitely going to show off my dumb rear end american-ness but people are freaking out over stickers?

Stickers here are like baseball cards in the States I'd guess? But with far fewer nerds interested in them past 12/13.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Meteorologists are dead racist when they point out 50 degree temperatures

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

If he tries to bring in challenges/ appeals they'll push him I think

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Byolante posted:

Isn't the government getting involved in football governance a thing that gets you suspended or expelled from fifa?

They're not getting involved in football governance, they're asking an 'expert' for advice on a potential criminal matter.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

They paid $30m for a propaganda film starring Tim Roth and people are surprised at an e-zine?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Building did a mental Dubai project of the month for a while because every new skyscraper had to be a perfect circle or gold or mad

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

The Serious Fraud Office have requested a copy of the report about the world cup bidding process with the aim of prosecution.

I bet Fifa don't give it to them.

It needs to be a concerted effort from INTERPOL so that they can't just move from one jurisdiction to another to avoid prosecution and oversight

Which would be great, if FIFA wasn't donating around 2% of INTERPOL's annual budget to help stop match fixing.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Theres an MP trying to get the Serious Fraud Office to investigate Blazer and the 2018/2022 bids because some of the recorded conversations took place in London during the Olympics.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Remember that the Congress will only see a shortlist of 3 countries compiled by the Executive Committee.

Which makes the double dipping even more flagrant and hilarious.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Walk Free authored a report on modern slavery that was released today.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/17/modern-slavery-35-million-people-walk-free-foundation-report

Russia on pure numbers manages the #5 spot, but Qatar does well on % population enslaved and gets the #4 spot.

"FIFA stands for repect, fair-play, not just on the field of play, but in our society as well."

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

After France host 2016 I guess they'll join the calls for boycotts, just like Germany and England have done when there aren't tournaments on the line anymore.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Spangly A posted:

This would be incredible.

If Beijing can get it then loving anywhere can. It's the end stage of these bidding processes that a competently run FIFA would and should be worried about; when your demands, bribes and insane requirements of host countries drives away viable hosts, you're left with Turkmenistan '26 followed by Azerbaijan '30.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

It's a lot harder to justify starting a contract with slavers and despots than it is to continue one until it has 'run its course' for both parties as well.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

vyelkin posted:

let alone host one, and doesn't have any infrastructure to do so.

Qatar will host nearly everything bar the Olympics before the World Cup because nobody cares about Athletics or Swimming competitions.

Given half a chance I think they'd bid for the Commonwealth Games.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

atomic gog posted:

and Australia have won 3 field hockey world cups.

Including women's sports is cheating.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Hegay posted:

Starting to think FIFA might have something to hide

They just had an investigation they're clean as a whistle.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Blue Star Error posted:

2026 will be in USA its a foregone conclusion.

It'll be China

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

Why doesn't any news org ever ask the obvious? Kazakhstan can't host until 2034, no one in Asia can.

The pool of countries who are willing or able to give FIFA the kind of poo poo they want is dwindling into an ever smaller number of petro-States and dictatorships, the continent rule will be hand waved away just like any other 'rule' that has threatened to slow down Sepp and Co getting dirty money.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

FIFA's only hope at this point is to bankrupt the FBI with the overtime and man hours they'll need to identify all of the corruption and bribery.

There must be a couple of UEFA members making GBS threads it at the moment as well. I know England had 'friendlies' and 'development funds' go to Warner by way of Trindiad and Tobago, I don't doubt that it happened a lot elsewhere either. Look at the fine Rumminegge got for his forgotten watches, and how the tendrils of this are going to start reaching into the domestic club sphere as well.

Thank god yanks hate football.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Shitshow posted:

Again, I'd love to be wrong, but that's how the bureaucracy works.

You're doing that 'oh no were bound to lose against Havant and Waterlooville' faux negativity thing that United and Liverpool fans used too and it's really boring.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Blatter and Snowden will have such fun conversations

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

That's on the U.S. for letting him in

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Shitshow posted:

David Conn ‏@david_conn 1h1 hour ago
FIFA: US Dept of Justice alleges bribes re Brazil team sponsorship by major US sportswear company. Nike done it since 1996. No statement yet

That's tasty.

Are they finally going to prove that Nike ruined fat Ronaldo?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

TraderStav posted:

This is great and all, but does this mean that America will be instrumental in the 'new FIFA' that's to come once this is dismantled?

Hello playoffs, annual world cups, and commercial breaks!

You need to learn what IFAB is and does

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

triple sulk posted:

HOLY poo poo

He's hosed and he's gone and he's going to die penniless :dance:

ayb posted:

so what third world country FA head will win the election?

Dan Flynn

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

Well he wont be a candidate but I bet he'll be running it.

I think they'll read his post on the way out

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

a quick and simple way to weed out the poo poo countries; if any of the stadiums in your bid needed more than 20% government funding to be built then you can't use them.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

I just think that Chelsea being able to play an eight team round robin with their squad is wrong and bad for football.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Pander posted:

Matter of time.

There are 197, it makes it awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

Switzerland has laws against fraud?

If they think you're stiffing them for their take, absolutely.