Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Answers Me posted:

You'd be better off making a Kickstarter to raise enough funds to out-bribe Qatar

I reckon if you sell it as a combined anti-Qatar and new movie in the Firefly universe kickstarter, you'll get the first two thirds within a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

I'm still mad.

I'm still laughing!

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

corpuscollossus posted:

Thing is Qatar is deeply invested in what people think. Damien Hirst just managed to fleece them of tens of millions because Qatar is dead set on being the modern art capital of the world.

There could be a real impact on worker's rights provided the pressure is maintained. The problem internally is removing the sponsorship system. Many Qatari citizens make their living as sponsors, both of companies and expatriates, and surveys show that the vast majority want the khafala system tightened, not relaxed, so it won't be an easy sell.

Yeah, this.

If we assumed an actual good person with a non-robotic heart was in charge of FIFA, they would honestly be the perfect vessel for change in Qatar and the other slave states. It remains to be seen what Blatter can (or indeed will) do about the problem, but there is nothing wrong with the concept of professional sports as a conduit for change and progress.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Ka0 posted:

I'll probably be dead by 2026 but by golly, I hope I at least outlive Blatter.

How many babies do you eat in Demonic rituals per day? I think you'll need to average about 8 to beat Blatter even with your presumed natural advantage of youth

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Of course it was discussed. If you're not using violence to exploit people living under extreme poverty, how will you get ten stadiums built in the middle of a desert?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Byolante posted:

Because Tajikistan and England have equal voting power on who is the next president of FIFA.

Agreed, voting power should be proportional to population so Bangladesh have three times the voting power of England.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

What would correct international football politics procedure be if Russia were to announce that the 2018 WC final is to be played in Sevastopol?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

The Mash admits "politics" influenced Punching Sepp Blatter In His Big Dumb Face in 2014 choice

god I hate that twat

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I much prefer Bernie to Blatter. They're both corrupt assholes but Bernie isn't actually that harmful to his sport from the point of view of a fan (imagine what happens to F1 when he dies), whereas Blatter is full-on fisting the deceased corpse of football

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

The only reason Sepp Blatter wants a re-vote is to achieve the dream of every used car salesman in the world: selling the same thing twice

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

pik_d posted:

Good planning, get one last World Cup in England before it never returns again.

I think you'd get the opposite result actually. Spain, Brazil etc would send poo poo squads to make sure they didn't win it because they can't afford to host it anymore. England and Germany would be in the final every time.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Bea Nanner posted:

This is a superb deflection especially considering the great strides FIFA has taken to eliminate racism from the game.

I agree, FIFA have done a lot to eradica

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Haha. I would like to randomly bump into him on the street just to see if I could top "the most disrespectful thing" he's ever experienced. He's either a master troll or so out of touch it's unbelievable. I wonder if he knows that everyone wishes him dead

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Aumanor posted:

Honestly, given how obviously wrong some of the refs' decisions can be, I think that ANY form of video verification is a step in the right direction. Not to imply that Blatter isn't the cancer of the football world, just that imho this particular proposition actually has some merit.

Hi I think you wanted this thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639574

or this one

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368573

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

gently caress that. Don't change anything. The game is perfect.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Peanut President posted:

All the bids will be thrown out because of under the table money except Qatar right before a re-vote. This time Qatar gets 100% of the ballot confirming that everyone wanted it all along.

And if football didn't want it, it shouldn't have been wearing a dress like that in the first place

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I think we should send Blatter himself to personally negotiate with them

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

vyelkin posted:

FIFA's executive staff are very old men, most of them will probably be dead by the time Qatar rolls around.

That's the whole beauty of this scam, they get 8 years to spend the money on cocaine and prostitutes and then they drop dead before having to worry about the consequences

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

If the Qatar football foundation sent me $78.4m it would improve my relationship with them greatly as well. Heck, I would do Michael Owen helicopter videos for them for the rest of my life for half of that.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

TheBigAristotle posted:

These will never stop being hilarious

One of these is gonna fall down and the Spanish national team is going to be devastated as the only surviving player is their goalkeeper, former footballer Iker Casillas

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

jesus loving christ

sepp blatter, first against the wall

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCjeD-Jqd2s

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

sassassin posted:

Take over. We'll be okay with it this time.

Most people have even started turning on the jews over the poo poo they're pulling in Palestine

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Vinestalk posted:

Probably not the best place to find a good ethics judge, though.

I'm trying to shoehorn in a joke about ethic cleansing but I can't seem to get it working

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

tbp posted:

Can someone make a bullet point list of the funniest things that have come from this entire sham of an organization and then we can add to it over time so i can lol at reading it when i want to

• Sepp Blatter falls down

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Reprisal posted:

so choice

It's so nectar

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

BlueBayou posted:

FIFA sucks and is very corrupt.

Actually I think you'll find that a report was recently released that clears FIFA of all wrongdoing.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Total Meatlove posted:

They just had an investigation they're clean as a whistle.

In fact, they just had an investigation over their original investigation and found that that investigation was clean too. They're like twice as uncorrupt as other uncorrupt entities like the IOC

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Hegav studied(studies?) law so he's as corrupt as they come

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

The only appropriate form of the report would be one written in the blood of Fifa Executive Committee members written on skin flayed off the back of Sepp Blatter

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

It's especially funny because he's not only wrong from a footballing perspective but also the rouble has literally halved versus the dollar in the last year

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30572224

quote:

Fifa and Sepp Blatter in secret talks about president's future

Secret talks between Fifa officials and Sepp Blatter have taken place over his future as the president of football's world governing body, BBC Sport has learned.

The discussions, which involved representatives from a number of football confederations, are understood to have started in October 2013 at the celebrations for the Football Association's 150th anniversary. Blatter has since confirmed his likely intention to stand in next May's presidential election and seek a fifth term of office.

However, with the 29 January deadline for candidates to declare their interest in standing as a candidate in the May election looming, there is mounting concern amongst several Fifa executives over the governing body's future direction and leadership.

And nothing will come of this.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

"Yes, Mr. Blatter. My question comes in the form of a gif."

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvMPXwqTMto

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

Russia play football, they even have a champions league team and do well in the world cup sometimes.

They have stadiums.

they're totally fine for being a host for the WC

And Russian clubs are almost never fined by their FA for racist fans so the myth about racist russians can go right out the window too!

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I've posted this a few times around here but I'll repeat myself: I'm pretty sure, despite the Bosman and Webster rulings, that the transfer system itself is at heart incompatible with fundamental EU law, to the point where, once there's no longer political support for maintaining the system, it'll quickly get killed by the European Court of Justice.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Basically that the very strict limitations on when a player under contract can choose to play for a club in another EU-country go against Article 45 of the TFEU:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:12012E/TXT&from=DA

quote:

Article 45

(ex Article 39 TEC)

1. Freedom of movement for workers shall be secured within the Union.

2. Such freedom of movement shall entail the abolition of any discrimination based on nationality between workers of the Member States as regards employment, remuneration and other conditions of work and employment.

3. It shall entail the right, subject to limitations justified on grounds of public policy, public security or public health:

(a) to accept offers of employment actually made;

(b) to move freely within the territory of Member States for this purpose;

(c) to stay in a Member State for the purpose of employment in accordance with the provisions governing the employment of nationals of that State laid down by law, regulation or administrative action;

(d) to remain in the territory of a Member State after having been employed in that State, subject to conditions which shall be embodied in regulations to be drawn up by the Commission.

4. The provisions of this Article shall not apply to employment in the public service.

So far, the EU has basically looked the other way or pretended that football fell under "public policy, public security or public health", so it's largely a political issue, but once the motivation to look away disappears, the ECJ will murder the current transfer system dead. And if the transfer system dies in the EU, FIFA will surely have no interest in maintaining it in the rest of the world.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Ramos tested positive for doping after 2017 CL final

http://m.spiegel.de/international/world/football-leaks-doping-tests-and-real-madrid-a-1240035.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

Given that we're talking about messes in Asian football, this is probably a good place to post about Hakeem Al-Araibi:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/feb/01/hakeem-al-araibi-supporters-say-fifa-and-ioc-must-threaten-sanctions-against-bahrain

He was outspoken against the Bahraini government and subsquently arrested for vandalism during the arab spring, but every crime he's accused of was commited while he was playing in a televised match for Bahrain. He fled to Australia and was granted refugee status, and last month went to Thailand on his honeymoon, and as soon as he left the country the Australian Federal Police notified Thailand that he was still wanted in Bahrain, and he's been detained since, and is currently under extradition orders back to Bahrain where he'll be again tortured and presumably worse. There's been marches around the country here in Australia to protest his detention but it looks like he's got at least another 2 months in jail fighting the case against extradition

This is some next level scummy behaviour by the Australian Federal Police