Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Turn the yellow card into a sin bin card as suggested, but also add an orange card which functions like the current yellow. In addition each team's manager gets a joker card they can play for 15 minutes each match. In that 15 minute period every ref's decision is doubled: score a goal? Two goals! Every foul becomes a yellow card offence, yellow counts as orange, orange counts as red and red gets an extra player of the aggrieved team's choice sent off. But be wary: the joker affects both teams equally: take down an opposing player in the box and you could be down two men and facing two penalties!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

my son bort posted:

It's going to be a Carribean world cup cohosted by St. Vincent AND the Grenadines

and Trinidad and Tobago

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Kurtofan posted:

who watches this

Americans until their Ice Hockey team loses

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Remember how Beckenbauer was banned for a massive 90 days for failing to co-operate with corruption investigations 14 days ago? Well the ban has been lifted!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28060635

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
What surfaces would they play on if Canada hosted the men's World Cup? If the reason for the fake pitches is the climate it's not an issue of sexual discrimination. If FIFA requires the men's World Cup to be played on real grass but not the women's there is a slight case.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

advanced statsman posted:

Imagine mixing the NFL culture with Serbian football fans. Getting a big ol' boner just thinking about it.

Isn't that every Australian sport?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Byolante posted:

If only there was a country that had the best bid going by the evaluations that was in the southern hemisphere and had temperatures equivalent to European spring in July. Wouldn't that be a great place to host a world cup that would get more than zero votes. If only

Hard to have stadia built by immigrant workers when they're held in offshore internment camps imho

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The early stages of international tournaments are already bloated and boring, this just adds another 16 fixtures

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I was in Canada last year and a child called me homeslice

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Came up a couple of days ago in another thread. I'm assuming that's a work in progress and the final structure will look a little safer. I'd watch a match from up there just for the experience

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

peanut- posted:

The experience of dying in a collapsed pile of scaffolding?

It's a pretty standard bit of temporary seating, just a bit higher than normal and doesn't have the sides on yet. I've sat in similar at F1 races and other events and I'm still alive. That being said, you have to rely on Russia's desire not to look bad on the international stage overcoming local corruption in building and engineering it to really trust it.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I don't think Russian fans will feel they need a view of the pitch to hurl racist and homophobic slurs at foreigners

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Just burn it to the ground.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
This thread is just coming up to 5 years, so 'corruption' should probably be redacted from the thread title.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Which conveniently would force them to share with other countries as hosts. I wonder which other Arab states have been sending brown envelopes.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm not going to defend the financial poo poo, but the booing has as much to do with how poo poo UEFA have been about punishing racial abuse and other ridiculous nonsense.

For instance, fans take badly to being banned from a stadium because the other side has been persistently racist, who then actually get to sneak their own fans in and receive no punishment and in fact have their stadium ban reduced subsequently.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm going to go with 'didn't provably break any rules while squirming through every possible loophole with a brown envelope of cash in each hand'

E: it's funnier than that. A 'fine' in punishment for accepting that rules were breached

The fine is not large

Tsaedje fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 13, 2019

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

frankenfreak posted:

That is indeed v funny.

The unfunny aspect is that Chelsea will now almost certainly have their ban overturned

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Ah, the Bernie Ecclestone

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Vegetable posted:

If anything shouldn't they be enforcing FFP more harshly in this period? FFP basically penalizes a club for spending €X million more than their average earnings from the past three years, where X can be increased if you have a rich club owner.

Most clubs are gonna have poo poo earnings in these couple of years, and correspondingly they should be spending much less. If they're spending way more it would likely be due to wealthy benefactors. Now that would worsen inter-club financial inequalities.

But what if a big club, let's say a spanish one, needs to spend big right now but has had a massive dent in income from a year of no spectators?

It's almost as if FFP was never about financial fair play

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Incredible

The true victim of systemic corruption in FIFA is FIFA and the solution is to award FIFA money and declare that corruption is over and FIFA has a good reputation now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
They already have