Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Didn't know where to put this, but it fits here as well:

http://dohanews.co/post/58898402174/official-qatar-sees-record-number-of-nepalese-deaths

32 construction workers died in July alone in Qatar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Nice straw man.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Reminder that FIFA are a NPO and don't pay any taxes.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Tigren posted:

Also, reminder that FIFA has an official "Ethics Committee" and the Senior Vice-President of FIFA, Julio Grondona, says poo poo like this:

If only The FA gave back the Falklands.

Also, this:

Jesus Christ.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5R9Ur44XV8

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

tekz posted:

It's definitely a stereotype I think, I'm not an expert though, you should ask the Bundesliga thread.

No need for this in the modern game!

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
The way this thread went from 4000 poor Nepalese workers dying from horrid work conditions to loving opening ceremonies of the US Olympic games tells me that a) nobody really cares b) the qatar wc will be a big success in the winter of 2022 and c) death to america

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Crazy Ted posted:

Defending Qatar this month – European Club Association head Karl Heinz-Rummenigge: "After visiting Qatar for our last general assembly we had a good feeling about a World Cup there." Also last week: German tax authorities fine Rummenigge a reported €250,000 for failing to declare two Rolexes received as gifts during the trip.

Rummenigge is a goddamn moronic oval office and I hate him so much.

Crazy Ted posted:

Speaking of...

This is Zurich were talking about, one of if not the most expensive city in the world.
Above average prices for people living there, horribly expensive for everybody else.

ephex fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 30, 2013

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Weaponized Cum posted:

Qatar shot Salvador Cabañas in the temple.

Apparently they hired Jozy.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
A WC/EC knockout phase without Italy participating is great bc it actually makes it possible for Germany to win that thing.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

corpuscollossus posted:

finger in the dyke stuff

holy poo poo lmao

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Dravs posted:

What is the name for multiple Rolex? I feel like this is something the FIFA delegates should probably know.

Do you mean 'the plural'?

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Gigi Galli posted:

They will all be signed by Qatari teams of course.

They'll still earn less than Januzaj.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
German media are reporting that FIFA will have a vote on the reallocation of the 2022 World Cup later this year or at the latest at their conference in the spring of 2015.

Looks like Qatar is gonna get fleeced again.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Blue Screen Error posted:

Nearly 1000 people from the 38% of workers that are from Nepal and India. The actual figure is going to be a lot higher

Can you source this please, I need it for a project.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

jyrka posted:

The Qataris are idiots. What are they doing building the stadiums 8 years before the World Cup anyway? Aren't these things normally done in the last minute?

Actually they are pretty smart because if they finish building the stadiums in like let's say 2017 the world will have done years to forget about everything that happened and got reported during construction.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Lemon posted:

How do you tell them the test results?

Very carefully.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

corpuscollossus posted:

A brief overview of the changes:

• The Qatar Chamber of Commerce (strongly opposed to any change) have to make recommendations and amends to the proposal before it gets approved by cabinet.
• Employers no longer issue exit permits. You apply for an exit permit on a government website, and your employer has 72 hours to block you leaving.
• The kafala system has been 'scrapped'. Now there's an employer/employee contract, where an employee can leave at the end of the contract. Employers are allowed to give open-ended contracts, in which case the employee can leave after 5 years.
• You are no longer banned from Qatar for 2 years after leaving employment.

So nothing has changed

What a piece of poo poo country.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
I hope he had died

right there :argh:

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Pissflaps posted:

Yes they would because the UK is the home of football. We invented it; It's our game.

It's only thanks to our generosity that you have it to enjoy at all.

Then why are you so bad at it?

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Pissflaps posted:

Focussed too much on winning world wars and not committing genocide but now it's coming home. It's coming home.

we gave that world war / genocide thing a really good go and still we have three times as many world cup trophies as the inventors of football and even after getting bombed back to the stone age we won the first trophy earlier than you guys

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Pissflaps posted:

You also murdered six million jews but I'm not sure why you'd want to boast about it.

Two world wars. One world cup. Football is coming home.

It's coming home.

After three matches lol

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

vaginal culture posted:

Well personally, i'd rather be fishing, or swimming, or laying poolside, reading US Weekly, or doing literally anything else at that time. Because on the west coast all the games are from like 8 am to 3 pm and it wastes your whole day.

Good thing you don't own a TV then.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

axeil posted:

In what court could the US/Australia/Japan/South Korea actually sue Qatar? Countries can't sue each other.

The ICC doesn't count because that's not what it's for.

You could sue the FIFA in Switzerland.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

quote:

Eric Cantona has claimed that choosing between Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini for the FIFA presidency would be like choosing ‘between the plague and cholera’, and feels the bureaucracy at the top level is damaging the game of football.

http://www.squawka.com/news/cantona-likens-blatter-and-platini-to-deadly-diseases/113103

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Katana Gomai posted:

Not to feed on your personal misfortune but I would be legit interested in an "[Ask] me about being a prisoner working in Qatar" thread.

Just watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJYXgMigfpo

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

vyelkin posted:

Now there's a FIFA movie I'd watch. The board's token young member has to escape when Qatari hitmen start taking out the rest of the FIFA Executive for taking bribes but then double-crossing them. Put Tom Cruise in it and make him run a lot, and you've got a $300m movie right there.

A movie like Munich but called Zurich... I'd watch that

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

quote:

Fifa bosses secretly doubled their salaries to $200,000 (£118,000) earlier this year, leaked documents reportedly reveal.

The alleged bumper pay rise, reported by The Sunday Times, comes despite football's governing body facing some of the most serious corruption claims in its history.

The newspaper, which has published a series of damaging allegations in recent weeks, said the windfall was in addition to expenses of up to $100,000 (£58,800), plus free business class flights and five-star hotels, that executive committee (Exco) members can claim.

It claimed Fifa's under-fire president, Sepp Blatter, also awarded members a total of $4.4m (£2.59m) in secret bonuses from cash the organisation raked in at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
http://news.sky.com/story/1287066/fifa-bosses-secretly-doubled-their-salaries

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Not that it is a big surprise or anything, but scientists have shown that holding the WC in Qatar during summer would be a health hazard for the players and supporters.

quote:

You're reading that graph correctly. Between 7 A.M. and 2:30 P.M.* during the time of the World Cup, the average PET will be between 45 and 50 degrees Celsius or higher. Converted to Fahrenheit, that's between 113 and 122 degrees! At PETs like that, heat stroke, where the body's temperature rises above 104 degrees Fahrenheit, can occur in a manner of hours or less, Matzarakis says, depending on factors like age, clothing, and alcohol intake. Heat stroke can result in permanent organ damage or even death.

http://www.realclearscience.com/journal_club/2014/08/21/a_world_cup_in_qatars_summer_wont_be_safe_for_fans_108796.html

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Hegay posted:

Goatseed by a weather graph

It's incredibly hot.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Hegay posted:

I dont think he's the real Blatter

Better safe than sorry.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
What a joke of a country.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
I dont really know where to put this but Platini wants to ban Ribery for three UEFA matches for every fixture of the French national team that he doesn't show up to.

:psyduck:

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

serious gaylord posted:

Surely at this point he will have pissed off enough people by promising to stand down and then not that he wont win again?

lmao

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
FIFA World Cup 2026 in the Islamic State

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

joshtothemaxx posted:

I see that evil oval office announces a replay system will be tested soon. Yes, let's take the stupid system that ruins american football and apply it to a name with no natural extended stoppages in play, thanks.

What's his name?

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

quote:

FIFA has offered January and November in 2022 as alternative kickoff dates for the World Cup in Qatar.
FIFA said it presented the two options Monday when its consultation group first met to seek ways to avoid playing in the desert heat of June-July.
Blatter cancelled a planned visit to SoccerEx in Manchester to stay in Zurich, where football leaders were meeting Monday to discuss the potential disruption to the international calendar caused by starting the 2022 World Cup in January or November.
“We have already said we cannot play in summer in this heat in Qatar, then we have to play in winter,” Blatter said. “Now we are making this consultation.”
FIFA’s executive committee should confirm the 2022 World Cup dates at its meeting in March in Zurich.
However, the January-February tournament option probably could not happen if the 2022 Winter Olympics are scheduled in the traditional February slot.
IOC president Thomas Bach has already said FIFA President Sepp Blatter assured him the two events would not clash.
Blatter has repeatedly said the World Cup cannot be played in the Qatari summer, even though the organizing committee has stood by its pledge to build air-cooled stadiums and play in summer.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/2014/09/08/fifa_might_shift_2022_world_cup_to_winter_to_avoid_qatar_heat.html

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Man if the world cup came back to England and it didn't turn out to be the most profitable for FIFA I would probably shoot myself

It's funny to me, that all Americans inherit the idea of "bigger" being the equivalent of "improved quality".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

TheBigAristotle posted:

These will never stop being hilarious

Herzog & De Meuron wanted to do something like this to close the roof in the initial plannings of the Allianz Arena but it was way too costly to realise so it got scratched.