Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Der Shovel posted:

Well they are old and quite fat, so in all likelyhood a significant percentage of them will die before the Qatar World Cup rolls around. Those will be fun days.

This is the worst bit. They had two votes for one last pay day and they don't even have to see the steaming turd of a World Cup they've left us with. Hopefully before 2022 war breaks out or something but even then FIFA would probably find an excuse to keep it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Babby Thatcher posted:

it's good and cool that the Guardian newspaper have been on Qatar's and FIFA's case about corruption etc the whole time with utmost consistency

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2010/nov/25/world-cup-2022-qatar-fifa

(the comments, lmao)

(more hours pass)

Yeah drat you sure got them

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Dickail Bulgeakov posted:

A war in the middle east is a small price to pay to bring football home

What better way to celebrate the launch of our new aircraft carriers than by using them to bring football home?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

What incentive do qatar have to change seeing as FIFA has already said it's going to be held there no matter what??

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Quite frankly i hope the whole arabian peninsular is claimed by the sea so i never have to hear about one of their loving slave built vanity projects again

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

If the place is this bad now, what do you think its going to be like in 70 years when the wells start to dry?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrDCS9dSfTM

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Byolante posted:

So what you are saying is Messi, Ronaldo and Zlatan are going to go into Qatar to rescue Arsene Wenger, only for it to all go awry?

He didn't see the ambush :smith:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Just been listening to five live and they're discussing if the tennis in qatar will be called off due to temperature, in january

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

I think they're talking about Australia what with the open being on and players feinting during matches because of heat stroke.

:negative:

Don't knwo why i thought they were going on about qatar

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Hopefully they get nuked by Israel before 2022.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/16/qatar-world-cup-400-deaths-nepalese

Death toll amongst Nepalese workers is now 400. 1000 people were admitted to hospital following falls.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Scott Bakula posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/18/qatar-world-cup-india-migrant-worker-deaths

India have confirmed 500 people have died since 2012 building poo poo in Qatar

So that's nearly 1000 people in two years and there's another 8 years to go

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Peanut President posted:

The 1996 Olympics were the best ones ever, sorry.

Officially the worst olympics ever:

quote:

At the closing ceremony, IOC President Juan Antonio Samaranch said in his closing speech, "Well done, Atlanta" and simply called the Games "most exceptional." This broke precedent for Samaranch, who had traditionally labeled each Games "the best Olympics ever" at each closing ceremony, a practice he resumed at the subsequent Games in Sydney in 2000.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

I'm not joking there. I literally think that he's refusing to leave office because he knows with all the shady poo poo he's done, he'd spend the rest of his life in prison after his successor goes on a crusade to clean up Fifa and uses him as the scapegoat for decades of fraud and mismanagement.

I completely agree. If he loses it's going to be to someone promising radical change and that means the blatter clan goes down as a scapegoat for everything FIFA's done so he's not leaving the post alive if he can help it.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

corpuscollossus posted:

Result of the press conference: Things will definitely change from the Kafala system to a new system that we call something else as soon as we get the committee to submit their recommendations to the cabinet for approval. Deadline to be confirmed.

I'm fuckd

Are you literally trapped in Qatar?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Blue Screen Error posted:

Have you considered leading a slave uprising?

This IMO

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

You have my backing 100% I'll retweet whatever you need

#iamcorpuscollossus

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Its our game let's take the ball and go home.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

If suprised the countries who failed in their 2022 bids havent made more of a fuss.

Qatar was one of the only bids with major technical issues highlighted and their bid was awarded on the basiss that:
  • They would have air conditioned stadiums
  • The world cup would be held in summer
  • They would build 12 stadiums that would then be donated to poorer nations

The first was a complete lie, they are lobbying for it to be moved and they've now said they're only actually building 8. There was already a ton of poo poo they were allowed to get away with like having more then 2 stadiums in a city not to mention their appalling human rights record. On top of the that the president of FIFA has said it was a partly political decision and now said it was a mistake. Australia, the US, japan and south korea should sue the gently caress out of them.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Peanut President posted:

Care to explain what "ambush marketing" is? Is this like how in 2010 they didn't allow local vendors outside stadiums because "are brand partners"?

Like when paddy power paid bendtner to put their logo on his pants

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Yes you can start Jozy and Adu

Lmbo

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Because this is a proper trail showing exactly who paid who and how much.

The times tactic is working beautifully. Qatar released a bunch of statements saying bin hamman had nothing to do with the bid and the times already countered with all their statements at the time saying what a great help he was.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

No one wants to go through another round of bidding.

Give the 2022 world cup to:
- a nation with a strong footballing history
- a large number of existing high quality football stadiums
- a country that's not too hot

Send it home

World cup 2022 in England.

Then make it like eurovision so the country that wins has to host it

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Media are saying theres a massive protest being planned for the first game of the World cup. I wonder how the broadcasters will disguise the noise of people getting shot?

Brazillian cops give no gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skomhYqOqjM

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Was Taters posted:

He was one of those most pro-Qatar, wasn't he?

Yeah he is balls deep in oil money. He's just bluffing wrt a revote imo

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

vyelkin posted:

My theory is that they all want a revote so that they can get another round of bribes. And who gives a poo poo if Qatar wins it again or not, it's not like Qatar can ask for their bribes back.

They'll probably start dying of 'overdoses' though

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Lmao compelling answers. They've gone back on everything they said in the bid

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I'm ready to fight in the Islamc State's anti-fifa brigades

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

lol, i don't know why i'm surprised

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Exclusive video of the FIFA 2018 and 2020 vote

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

vyelkin posted:

FIFA have made it abundantly clear that they intend to make sure this thing never sees the light of day. I can't see them handing it over to the police, ever.

I dunno they might hand over a sentence or two implicating English officials with everything redacted as to who they gave stuff too

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

FIFA have said the England 2018 bid "undermined integrity of the process"

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

It'll be interesting if garcia says anything of the judges summary of his investigation

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Hamas Rodriguez posted:

Let's start our own global football federation.

I'd unironically like England to withdraw from FIFA

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

I would too but there's no way this pans out that doesn't destroy our game.

It's our loving game! who let the french take it over?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

The first 19 pages are all filler about the process. In literally one of the first paragraphs of the actual report they state they decided to exclude all evidence by a whistleblower because they talked to the press

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/footballgovernance/02/47/41/75/statementchairmanadjcheckert_neutral.pdf

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

ukle posted:

If this farce doesn't force the creation of a new body to run football instead of FIFA then nothing will.

Football is dead.

In it's actual report they've released the Australian and English bids get critised for 50k dinners.

The Qatar bid's $1.8m African federation summit is mentioned but waved away "as it is unclear how this would affect bidding" and bin hammans (qatar's self described biggest asset) bribes and successful effort to get an exco member to appeal a ban so the oceana federation couldn't vote for qatar's rivals is fine because he wasn't part of the official bid team.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Jose posted:

The FA appear to be the only association moronic enough to actually give FIFA anything they wanted

The report shows pretty clearly how to get a world cup:
- bribe in cash, not gifts
- 'rent' computers
- 'forget' all your gmail password
- use people who aren't directly employed by a footballing organisation to approach voting members

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Weaponized Cum posted:

Sepp Blatter is an Arsenal fan

Leads a shady ring of the elite who funnel billions into secret bank accounts. Sounds like you've got the wrong bit of north london mate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Qatar were on the verge of losing the 2019 athletics vote so offered £23.5m of 'incentives'

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/nov/25/iaaf-doha-incentive-fair-world-athletics-2019?CMP=twt_gu