Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Hegay posted:

He also hated the English because of Falklands and he was a huge corrupt piece of poo poo

"Yes, I voted for Qatar, because a vote for the US would be like a vote for England, and that is not possible."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Gigi Galli posted:

Italy’s women’s team is in the tournament for the first time in 20+ years and they are getting record numbers of viewership domestically, which is nice.

The Juventus women’s team sold out the men’s stadium this year as well, I think. One time, but still.

in the US, the women's league is struggling in most cities which is a bummer. Seattle was playing in a high school stadium that couldn't get any sort of upgrades because the school didn't want one field to be nicer than the others despite the team owners being more than happy to pay for it, so they moved to a smaller city south of Seattle.

The Kansas City team was inexplicably moved to Utah where they're finding more success because they're tied to the MLS team.

The Portland team is setting attendance records left and right and has sold out the stadium on multiple occasions, but the MLS tie isn't a surefire way for things to work since Houston isn't doing well despite their partnership.

New Jersey's team was relocated to North Carolina and features the most openly homophobic player in the league's history (she even refused to play for the USWNT when they had rainbow colors on their kits for Pride month).

And this is for a country that boasts how incredible they are with women's soccer. Yeah, they're close to the top of the heap but there are so few countries with the same resources that they're gonna stay at the top no matter what.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The big reason the women's national team is so good is because schools have to follow Title IX funding requirements for athletics, it has nothing to do with pro leagues. Coincidentally, American college sports is probably just behind FIFA and the IOC in its level of corruption lol

My post was about domestic interest in the league but yes, people seem to ignore the Title IX aspect of things.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

Oh it wasn't inexplicable. The owners of Kansas City told the league they weren't going to fund the team anymore. KC was technically shut down but the NWSL let Utah take on all of Kansas City's contracts that they saw fit.

:gonk:
They were successful, no less. what a mess.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

The ridiculous cost of building stadiums and infrastructure for each WC is awful on the host countries and so much of the economic burden is on the locals. The largest stadium built in Brazil became a goddamned parking lot.

If it bounced around a few countries that already have infrastructure then maybe it’s a slightly less terrible idea, but still A TERRIBLE IDEA. It only happening every 4 years is part of the appeal and diluting that is just baffling.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

if I was a ref and players swarmed me I’d be throwin’ cards like fuckin’ Yu-Gi-Oh or whatever that cartoon is

players get away with that WAY TOO MUCH

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

loving cowards not using massive stadiums with loads of available infrastructure for traveling folks

WHY NOT GO TO OHIO OR MICHIGAN

COLLEGE FOOTBALL STADIUMS

THE REEEEEEAL AMERICA

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

White Noise Marine posted:

Because nobody wants to go to Ohio or Michigan.

uh yeah that’s why I’m fussy it ain’t happening

traveling to the US for the World Cup then dealing with Ann Arbor, College Station or Tuscaloosa would be hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

this rules

https://twitter.com/sbnation/status/1557475578982326273?s=21&t=reryRw-gcb_af4dmLk2F7A