Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
It's a shame Sepp Blatter had to take all of that Qatar campaign money just to satisfy the eurocrats. I hope the poor thing can sleep well, on his bed made of money, with a money blanket, and money pillows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Isn't the superbowl the only sporting event that pulls more viewers than the WC? I can't see this happening, the sponsors of both would throw a shitfit.

Football is now so rotten I am hoping the loving sponsors will save it.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Total Meatlove posted:

The World Cup pulls more and has done for a while.

Apparently my mistake was to take the claimed figures as real, and not independent estimates.

Superbowl claims to win but it exaggerates by ten times the actual number. Nice moves.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

MisterBadIdea posted:

Out of curiosity, if Sepp Blatter was removed from the situation tomorrow, like if he was thrown in jail or the subject of a gangland assassination (both seem equally likely), who would be most likely to replace him?

It's hard to say due to the fact that anyone who makes it clear they're going for power is made to disappear very quickly. But I think it's supposed to be Platini?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

The best case scenario is a tactical nuclear strike on FIFA HQ when everyone's there.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

I imagine if the worlds press start in on them about poo poo like that you might start to see some pressure applied, but still nothing will ever change.

That was tried a while back after the bids were announced and Blatter was formally named as being corrupt by Interpol, all that happened was the EU demanded inspectors who were forced to resign after it became clear FIFA had no intention to work with them.

MisterBadIdea posted:

Revolting. I can't believe this person actually unironically believes in the hateful stereotype of the lazy, shiftless Jew.

...Wait, hold on, that's not even a real stereotype. No one's ever said that. That.... holy gently caress, this guy isn't even good at being racist.

Sadly that is actually a real stereotype, "The jew" would rather rip people off while they do all the hard work for him. It's almost a criticism of modern corporatism, except it predates it by centuries and died when lazy, workshy people ripping you off became a real thing. Then people just switched into jewbankers/lizards/control the world.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 26, 2013

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

MisterBadIdea posted:

Gotta admit, all that time we spent complaining about how a schedule change would affect the '22 Premier League season seems kind of silly now.

Qatar have been well-known to kill slaves to build things for a long, long time. I'd reckon people were focused on the issue of the schedule because it was the only chance any of the FAs would give a poo poo.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

MisterBadIdea posted:

Out of curiosity, is this the ugliest and most outwardly corrupt FIFA has ever gotten? Because I'm still new at this, but it sure seems like it. Surely the backlash from this will cause some serious reform!

...Right?

Nah, they gave the election to a dictatorship a few decades ago and just tried to whistle along as people got murdered.

And Blatter was proven to be taken bribes a while back, it required that an independent committee be set up to clean FIFA up. They lasted six months, all resigned saying it was totally impossible, Blatter declared this to mean that FIFA could not get any cleaner.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I'm at a loss as to how FIFA continue to get away with this. Making a player fulfil his contract is slavery. Slavery is not slavery. Official records of worker deaths are lies, and weather is a great unknown.

Interpol busted him for corruption for fucks sake, how did nothing come of that? How can I get in on this sweet multi-billion salary charity action?

e; Oh apparently bribery isn't a crime, that's why

loving Swiss.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 4, 2013

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

pik_d posted:

How does one stadium even cost £74 Bn, where did that number come from

Bribe inflation

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Der Shovel posted:

Didn't the oval office run unopposed last time with the excuse that it was his last go?

No, he blackmailed his opponent who promptly retired from FIFA and then pretty openly bribed everyone.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

corpuscollossus posted:

A brief overview of the changes:

• The Qatar Chamber of Commerce (strongly opposed to any change) have to make recommendations and amends to the proposal before it gets approved by cabinet.
• Employers no longer issue exit permits. You apply for an exit permit on a government website, and your employer has 72 hours to block you leaving.
• The kafala system has been 'scrapped'. Now there's an employer/employee contract, where an employee can leave at the end of the contract. Employers are allowed to give open-ended contracts, in which case the employee can leave after 5 years.
• You are no longer banned from Qatar for 2 years after leaving employment.

So nothing has changed

e: http://dohanews.co/expats-express-disappointment-proposed-labor-law-changes/

run to an embassy and apply for refugee status

Any embassy. I'm not joking.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

corpuscollossus posted:

There's enough outrage and vitriol about this all over that this is fine (probably). Provided you don't name names or make threats you're ok. As for leaving, there's no way until my contract is up. Embassies won't help unless you're in serious poo poo (the British embassy wouldn't give any assistance to a mate who was arrested on completely spurious charges in Oman and had to sleep rough for two months), and besides being painted into a corner here I'm worse off back home. If I were single and childless I'd have left three years ago.

You brought your children to Qatar

You actually loving did that

Jesus christ man find an excuse good enough for the embassy and get them out at least.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Reset Smith posted:

I'm pretty sure old Seppy Bladder said Soccer was invented in ancient China. So get ready for Football to come to Beijing in the Summer of 2030!

Sepp Blatter is wrong though

it was a sport invented when we kicked the heads of decapitated prisoners around. We're good lads.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

European leagues won't go for that at all

I don't know if you're joking but it's already been decided, announced, and protested. FIFA give absolutely no fucks.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Baldo di Gregorio posted:

I'm hoping it goes to court tbh, it's so hosed up it defies comprehension but when you're Sepp and anyone on the FIFA executive committee I guess you can't help but think you can do absolutely whatever the gently caress you want. You don't even need to hide it, just be as corrupt as you want and escape all repercussions, forever

Reminder (perhaps in OP?) that Interpol literally outed Blatter and Havelange as paying bungs, completely red handed, and his response was to run unopposed in an election while having his competitors expelled for bribery.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

hostile apostle posted:

Fifa vice-president Jim Boyce says he would support a re-vote to find a new host for the Qatar World Cup in 2022 if corruption allegations can be proven.

Interpol already did this a few years ago and nothing happened. Blatter being totally corrupt is a matter of record, so clearly they've got no intention of doing anything about it.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

I'm actually surprised that there was only five million dollars in bribes.

no that's just how much Jack Warner moonwalked out with before protesting loads, as he wasn't bribed enough.

Also that man stole a Haiti relief fund.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Then make it like eurovision so the country that wins has to host it

would love this so much

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

He basically stole everything. He quite literally stole almost all of the money and assets that were supposed to go to the Trinidad and Tobago FA for the better part of 35 years.

And was quietly silenced by FIFA after claiming they were too corrupt.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Visa and Adidas have joined them. FIFA have floated the most pathetic response. "Football's embattled world governing body is considering a plan to make a country's human rights record a factor in awarding future tournaments in the wake of a string of concerns over corruption and the treatment of migrant workers in Qatar."

"Yeah theyre kinda bad, I guess when we rate them we'll acknowledge they're terrible in different ways before we give the worst bid the hosting next time."

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

St Evan Echoes posted:

haha wrong thread source your writes etc etc

source; FIFA.

They actually said this at one point when Brazils stadiums fell apart lol. I think it's reasonable to expect they could do it, they've got pretty good infrastructure. It'd just be poo poo as hell on non-football pitches and planes everywhere.

The distance between stadiums should matter in the vote but given Brazil got it, it obviously doesn't.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

Cheeky bid for the winter olympics.

This would be incredible.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

The FBI and UK govt have made it clear there are civil and criminal cases against FIFA, and so FIFA block the evidence with a view to prosecuting... the UK.

That "It can't be released because privacy" thing was a threat, so it seems. They really are laudable in their brazen corruption.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Total Meatlove posted:

If Beijing can get it then loving anywhere can. It's the end stage of these bidding processes that a competently run FIFA would and should be worried about; when your demands, bribes and insane requirements of host countries drives away viable hosts, you're left with Turkmenistan '26 followed by Azerbaijan '30.

Everybody forgets that the dutch withdrew because FIFA wanted them to pave over all the bicycle lanes for special FIFA-only roads.

Qatar was totally happy building those roads.

Also can cuhulin discuss whether Swiss court are able to extend a case beyond scope or if they're limited to scope of prosecution like here and I assume most places? I'm going to guess that this silences all the critics, brands England and Australia guilty, and won't even mention Qatar. I really hope someone is smart enough to get the Qatar evidence in a courtroom, though.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Machinegunboyo posted:

I know nothing about law, has Sepp Blatter gone and done it again? Will FIFA now get away with it or can justice still prevail?

me too he has they will it wont

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

He uses his position to give his son every possible contract, engages in the flogging of distributed tickets (which he distributes), was outed by interpol as accepting bribes as understudy to Havelange, and as bhyo said lives in Switzerland. and runs an organisation with a $4bn tax-free reserve. If anyone thinks we'll ever know how much money he has you're insane.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

TyrantWD posted:

Fox and Telemundo paid $1.2bn for the next two World Cups. There is no way they are going to let something like this slide, when they have that kind of money invested. FIFA may have already "compensated" the networks through the no bid extension of TV rights for 2026, but that would have already cost them ~500m+ in US TV rights alone.

$1.2bn is not enough to dent FIFA.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Jose posted:

Isn't that most of their cash reserves? I mean not that it would happen but it would be ruinous for FIFA

They made a fuckload more than that from Brazil, has anyone got the numbers?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I think that everyone should have agreed to never have another international match after Brazil 2014, they werent going to top it and it's pointless to try. Let football rest in peace after a final twitch.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

"Perfection, life and hope."

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Everyone realises that Sepp Blatter cutting and running when the Americans came for him was always happening right?

He's not toast yet

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

...the gently caress does that even mean?

Means he's running again.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

jyrka posted:

So these retards want to kill off non-elite football. Why?

If you think their proposals are worse than the current system you might just not be paying attention. They're not doing this on the cuff, this is a multiple-year process being acted upon because the same year everyone becomes absolutely sick of FIFAs poo poo then England went and broke the transfer market forever.

An end of loans, a maximum amount of players you can be registered paying, and a two year contract protect period followed by buyout and then bosman movement is what's being discussed. It's a good groundwork they've got to offer.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

jyrka posted:

Why is it better when big clubs can sign players with no transfer fees?

Because they're asking for strict squad limits, so big clubs can't actually sign anyone because they're all miles above the limit being discussed. Big clubs also won't be able to just snap up anyone they want, with a two year registration protection period being discussed. This in no way helps big clubs stockpile talent, it reduces agent influence, it reduces FIFA's sway over player disputes, it lets smaller clubs simply pay wages and be done with it without having to worry about scouting and buying a new player. They just have to offer wages.

Frankly if that's the cause of your concern you have absolutely nothing to worry about. The issue that's going to arise will be cashflow for smaller clubs, but it's worth seeing if reducing arbitrary blocks to player movement leads to a correction in wages as the talent pool grows lower down the football hierarchy.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I find it funny that people talk about out of control wages when Zlatan, Rooney, Messi and Ronaldo all make less money than Joe Johnson of the Brooklyn Nets.

Edit: Also I could see a no transfer fee world working if loans were outlawed. Not all players are going to move to Real Madrid to sit on the bench if they can't go out on loan, and can't cancel their contract without buying it out.

Players being able to cancel their contracts when they arent playing is going to be in the proposals.

I genuinely can't believe any of you think this isn't good news. FIFA has no business setting the terms of how football contracts work, they're a bunch of criminals. There's going to be ways to exploit the poo poo out of a no-contract system but it's going to be a system that's accountable to at least someone.

Pointing out that the remains of the system are poo poo is hardly a comeback.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

jyrka posted:

???

I'm asking what that way is. There doesn't seem to be anything proposed and wouldn't it be good to have something before attempting to massive change things?

are you making the argument we shouldn't stop belgian people getting rich on the back of African traded labour because it might make less football clubs able to keep exploiting that labour

e;This is all very dumb and I hope Jerome Valcke runs away to Russia

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I really want Tokyo Sexwhale to be head of FIFA and then the organisation to die in the media spotlight

some good headlines, for sure

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

FIFA Collapse Under Sexwhale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Blue Star Error posted:

I sometimes wonder if Qatar winning was an accident. Like each voter thought to themselves "I'm safe to accept their bribe because no-one else would be stupid and greedy enough to vote for this obvious joke bid with no chance of winning", completely underestimating the greed and stupidity of their fellow FIFA execs.

I wonder if that's exactly how Qatar sold it, surprise bid after personal meetings and the birth of a dream. I wonder if it was sold to them as a starring role in the sequel to United Passions: Dream On 2066. Then Qatar wins the bid and everybody in FIFA collectively shits themselves and goes insane.Fun fact; Tokyo Sexwale was interned in Robben Island alongside Nelson Mandela.