Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Humphrey Vasel posted:

Has the thread title always said Quatar?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

I'm at the point now where I almost want it to actually take place in Qatar and be such an abject disaster in every sense that it takes FIFA's executive staff down with it.

FIFA's executive staff are very old men, most of them will probably be dead by the time Qatar rolls around.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I have just returned from a week's holiday in an undisclosed location and I can in fact confirm that Qatar is cool and good and definitely won the World Cup fair and square on the merits of its bid and with no money changing hands at all, and anyone suggesting otherwise should be prepared for a lengthy legal and/or physical battle.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

We've hosted a few youth tournaments and we're hosting the Women's World Cup next year, it's clearly leading up to a 2026 bid which the CSA has said they're planning on making. Plus maybe we can just get someone from Montreal to head up the bid team, they speak Sepp's language (money; also, French).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Was Taters posted:

I was thinking maybe someone from Toronto... someone with the last name Ford.

He'd probably show up to the bid presentation, sweat a lot, loudly announce that "soccer is for fags", and pass out. TRP would love it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

FullLeatherJacket posted:

A bid... for the World Cup? Like, the actual World Cup with the teams and stuff? You want to do that in Canada? Like, the actual Canada? With the nothing at all and stuff?

More stuff than Qatar, and just as much oil. If they can do it, so can plucky little Canada.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Mods please rename me Football is a simple game that only becomes complicated once you attempt to explain the active and passive offside rules to your wife.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Joint bid by Donetsk People's Republic and Abkhazia imo.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bobby Digital posted:

US bid best bid.

Japan bid equally best bid.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Germany's ExCo member Theo Zwanziger believes the World Cup won't be held in Qatar after all.

There is definitely a fight going on within FIFA over this right now. Hopefully they all mutually annihilate each other.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

The Serious Fraud Office have requested a copy of the report about the world cup bidding process with the aim of prosecution.

I bet Fifa don't give it to them.

FIFA have made it abundantly clear that they intend to make sure this thing never sees the light of day. I can't see them handing it over to the police, ever.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I can see it already. FIFA have made it clear that only the prosecutor and ethics judges get to see the report, the actual ExCo members don't. So they make it so that the report can never be handed over, and the ExCo members who didn't have access to it anyway face no penalties, but the guys who actually investigated corruption are suddenly facing criminal penalties or travel restrictions or whatever because they wouldn't hand over a report.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Vegetable posted:

Need more details. A FIFA-sanctioned film that makes Blatter look like a crook is the dream.

quote:

The film faced criticism from media concerning the £16million cost of production, more than the annual turnover of most of UEFA's national associations.[4][5][6]

Roth has said that he told the filmmakers, "Where's all the corruption in the script?...Where is all the back-stabbing, the deals? So it was a tough one. I tried to slide in a sense of it, as much as I could get in there."[2] The director of United Passions, Frédéric Auburtin, claimed he inserted "ironic parts" into the film.[2]

In his show Last Week Tonight, John Oliver lampooned the film saying that the "movie, like FIFA itself, looks terrible", asking "Who makes a sports film where the heroes are the executives?"[7]

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Don't forget that Gerard Depardieu is the guy who moved to Russia to avoid France's new high taxes. Even if Roth and the director did slip in some ironic corruption, I'm pretty sure Depardieu didn't.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Some woman players are suing FIFA and the Canadian Soccer Association at an Ontario Human Rights Tribunal because the Women's World Cup next year is being played on artificial turf. They say it's sexual discrimination that the men's tournaments happen on real grass while the women's tournament happens on poo poo artificial turf.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29453614

tbh I think they've got a point, artificial turf is some big time fail and it only gets used for football in Canada because growing good grass here is too expensive cause it's so loving cold all the time.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tsaedje posted:

What surfaces would they play on if Canada hosted the men's World Cup? If the reason for the fake pitches is the climate it's not an issue of sexual discrimination. If FIFA requires the men's World Cup to be played on real grass but not the women's there is a slight case.

The reason for the fake pitches is that it's cheaper, because of the climate. There is a football stadium in Canada that has a real grass field (BMO Field in Toronto, not being used for the Women's World Cup because of really, really stupid reasons), but it used to have astroturf and it was total garbage. The players who played there regularly got injured all the time and it contributed to the team playing very poorly. Then, one time Real Madrid came for a friendly and the team installed real grass for that one match because Madrid's players didn't want to play on turf, and then removed it again after the friendly, and the team's players and fans raised such a poo poo fit that the team was willing to pay the extra money to cater to Real Madrid but not for their own players that finally they replaced it with a permanent real grass pitch. It's purely an issue of cost, that maintaining good grass is harder because of the climate but not impossible.

I believe the case being made (in Canadian human rights courts, remember, not in FIFA or sport courts) is that if Canada somehow managed to host the World Cup they would hold it on grass, but because the women's tournament is less important then they're not bothering to do the same. In Canada that kind of institutional discrimination is a big no-go, even if everyone knows that's how football operates globally.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Byolante posted:

I think that at the height of the soviet doping program they solved that problem by altering the body chemistry so drastically the women essentially became men.

This can't be right because Tumblr didn't exist until 2007.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
After being elected president of FIFA, Blatter calls together all the FIFA higher-ups to tell them what for. There have been some irregularities, after all—hints that not everyone is as honest and incorruptible as he is.

"Now, the next tournament will take place in both South Korea and Japan, far from Europe" he tells the assembled big-wigs. "Some of you may feel that this is a good opportunity to close lucrative deals with certain lobbies. Think again. No sport is spotless; there is just a lot more money involved in ours, which is why from now on we will be exemplary in all respects. The slightest breach of ethics will be severely punished."

The assembled bureaucrats, who for whatever reason just happen to have some attractive Adidas and Coca-Cola products laying around, say things like "Haw haw! Is that a threat, Mr. President?" and "President Havelange would have never dared to treat us with such utter contempt," to which the imperturbable Blatter has a reasonable comeback:

"Well, maybe he should have."

"President Havelange—"

"Is no longer president. I am. João Havelange presided over our family for 24 years. Did he make mistakes? Perhaps. It's not for me to judge. But I am warning you—all of you. We will play by my rules now. Gentlemen."

Truly, the hero football deserves.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

FIFA owns North Koreans

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I look forward to one of Qatar's stadiums not being complete and so them just paying a thousand Nepali slave labourers to lay down in the middle of the desert and let a football match be played on their backs. Best part is then they can double dip and count those thousand people as extra in the attendance figures.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Even if this report were 100% accurate and there was no corruption in the Qatar bid, all that would prove is that the FIFA ExCo are absolutely terrible at their jobs and should all be sacked anyway for gross negligence and incompetence, not to mention complicity in gross human rights violations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

gently caress yes it won't happen but at least they're threatening meaningful things.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bea Nanner posted:

It's amazing how much of a fortress FIFA is. You'd think someone in their camp would be able to leak documents semi-anonymously. I doubt they are spending all their money on cyber-security. But I guess there are lucrative salaries/contacts at stake so no one has the balls to be a whistleblower.

I'd be very surprised if the report has ever been on a computer that has internet access. An organization as wealthy as FIFA knows that a little investment in cyber-security now (especially in the age of the NSA and Russian hackers stealing like a million credit card numbers a week) is worth a lot when the report doesn't get stolen and leaked, and their sponsors don't desert en masse.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dirk Pitt posted:

What's stopping Garcia from just dumpling it to a journo?

They would know it was him and he'd end up with a price on his head?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Garcia has no incentive to leak the report. By protesting Eckert's summary without actually giving details, he gets to look like he wrote a golden report (that no one will ever read) while at the same time there aren't any penalties for him actually wanting it to see the light of day. And for all we know the actual report exonerates Qatar and Russia as well, and the thing Garcia is appealing is that Eckert wasn't harsh enough on England and Australia. By not leaking it, everyone fills in their own blanks for what Garcia discovered, and he wins. He gets to have his cake and eat it too.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm waiting for "The Office, FIFA Edition" where Blatter is shown to be an incompetent manager and the entire ExCo is revealed to just sit around all day doing nothing, only instead of occasionally selling paper they occasionally take a bribe from wealthy slaveowning oil barons.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
In case anyone woke up from a fever dream this morning thinking Sepp Blatter had de-Grinched himself, he took the time to disabuse you of these dangerous notions:

quote:

Sepp Blatter insists that the 2022 World Cup will be staged in Qatar
• The World Cup in 2022 will be played in Qatar, says Fifa head
• Blatter says criticism has only come from outside game

A defiant Fifa president Sepp Blatter has declared that there is no moving the 2022 World Cup form Qatar despite widespread concerns about the bidding process that took the tournament to the Middle East for the first time.

“2022, it is Qatar, and ladies and gentleman, believe me, with all that has been said around the world by whom? Those not involved with what happens in football. The World Cup in 2022 will be played in Qatar,” he told Asian Football Confederation members in Manila on Sunday.

The remarks, cheered and applauded loudly by Asian delegates,
come as Fifa faces heavy criticism for not publishing a report by the ethics investigator Michael Garcia into the awarding of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

Garcia’s findings were summarised in a 42-page statement published by the Fifa ethics judge Hans-Joachim Eckert last week, which cleared the two winning bids, but which Garcia himself complained included misrepresentations. Fifa has said it cannot publish the full report for legal reasons.

Blatter, however, appeared untroubled by the ongoing saga, taking the opportunity to throw his weight behind preparations for Qatar’s World Cup.

“It is the second time we will go to organise the World Cup in Asia. The first was a lovely combination, a co-hosting, between Japan and Korea Republic. It was a great success, a big success,” said Blatter, who is seeking a fifth term as head of Fifa next year.

“But we have the next one. It will be the first time in the Arabic world but there is another competition that I would like to underline, the Under-17 women’s tournament in 2016.

“For the first time … we are coming with women’s World Cup in 2016 to the kingdom of Jordan. It is the trust and confidence of Fifa towards the Arabic world that they can organise all the competitions.”

Following the announcement, the Qatar Football Association was named winner of the AFC’s Dream Asia Award.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/30/defiant-sepp-blatter-2022-world-cup-qatar

I especially like the extra "Hey, any other oil-rich Middle Eastern nations, if you want to host a tournament, just give me a call" thrown in there at the end.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Voting should be weighted by FIFA rankings (lol) and performance in the last World Cup. Last World Cup winner gets 10 votes. Runner-up gets 8. Third place gets 6. Fourth place and all quarter-finalists get 5. Round of 16 countries get 4. Group stage countries get 2. Then every team in the top 25 FIFA rankings gets 5 votes. 26-50 get 4 votes. 51-100 get 3 votes. 101-150 get 2 votes. 151+ get 1 vote.

It would be a massive clusterfuck to organize votes, but at least Germany would have 15 times the say of American Samoa.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

and who is gonna vote to vote for this voting?

UEFA once they leave and form their own world governing body, of course.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
You can theoretically see how Russia might win a legitimate competitive vote to host a major sporting tournament. It's a big country with a big population and a proven track record of moderate success in sports, it already has a bunch of stadiums even if they are far apart, it actually has a football league with teams that take part in European competitions, etc etc.

There is literally no way Qatar could ever win a legitimate competitive vote to host a major sporting tournament. It's a tiny shithole in the middle of the desert that only gets to a million inhabitants because of all the slaves and is only noteworthy for its oil, that has never taken part in any major sporting events, let alone host one, and doesn't have any infrastructure to do so.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Total Meatlove posted:

Qatar will host nearly everything bar the Olympics before the World Cup because nobody cares about Athletics or Swimming competitions.

Given half a chance I think they'd bid for the Commonwealth Games.

Yeah, and I'm sure they won all those bids fair and square too.

Next they'll bid for the Pan-Am Games and then host the next meeting of the Francophonie.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

Are we not including Basketball or Ice Hockey for any special reason?

The US is great at winning sports where they have pretty much the only professional league in the world (or their professional league is so far ahead of the other ones that they get literally 100% of the good players to play there). Other sports, not so much.

And even then, they can't win at hockey.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
/\/\/\/\ We are exceptional at packaging up things to be consumed in media. That's our thing. We're A+ #1 at it. I've watched many broadcasts, fumbled with UI/UX features on different websites, and I've wondered why all this poo poo is so old and dated. The world media mostly loving sucks at covering football, both from the lack of advanced stats to actually explain things and general packaging of it.

Pook Good Mook posted:

It seems pretty convenient we aren't considering the Olympics in our count of world championships. Team sports or otherwise.

Individual sports really don't count for poo poo when it comes to performance in team sports. And in Olympic team sports, again, the US only dominates, or even really does well at all, in sports where they have the #1 completely most dominant professional league in the world and no one else even comes close.

Team sports at the Olympics:
  • The US completely dominates basketball because only the NBA counts as a meaningful basketball league and other countries don't care.
  • The US has never won men's water polo and only won women's water polo for the first time in 2012.
  • The US has won men's ice hockey twice (last time in 1980) and women's once (in 1998, the first year it existed).
  • The US has never won, or even medalled, in men's or women's curling.
  • The US has never won, or even medalled, in men's or women's handball.
  • The US has won men's volleyball three times since 1964, and never won women's.
  • The US has never won men's or women's field hockey.
  • The US has obviously never won men's football, though they have won gold at 4 out of 5 tournaments since women's football was introduced.

But yeah, the US is clearly sooooo good at team sports, at the Olympics or otherwise.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Daduzi posted:

^^^This

Seriously guys, this is a dumb as hell nationalistic jerk off based purely on hypotheticals. It's idiotic, spurious, and unprovable. You guys are better than this.

We really aren't though.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The real solution is to be like Canada and only care about one sport and also completely dominate the world at it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Votes should be based on how many European Championships the country has won.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

And now the selection of hosts will be done through a full member vote rather than Exco.

My major problem is it's pretty hard to bribe an official large amounts of money in Western Countries with active press corps but for an official in Papua New Guinea bribe and graft are just the way things are and no one will bat an eye.

There's also the issue that Papua New Guinea or the Comoros Islands or St. Kitts and Nevis have a virtually nonexistent chance of ever making it to an actual World Cup, like literally ever, so they have no incentive not to host the next one in the middle of a North Korean concentration camp as long as that's whoever provides the biggest incentives for them personally or for their own lovely little fiefdom.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

No it wont.

The full assembly vote on a selection of hosts that the exco have narrowed it down to.

It's a chance for double bribery, it's really something special. FIFA have outdone themselves yet again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Watch Russia suddenly have 2018 taken away because they can no longer bribe FIFA execs, lmao.