Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Spangly A posted:

Apparently my mistake was to take the claimed figures as real, and not independent estimates.

Superbowl claims to win but it exaggerates by ten times the actual number. Nice moves.

Yeah IIRC the Champions League final (depending on the teams of course) pulls the same amount of viewers as the Super Bowl. Both around ~100-120 million unique viewers, the World Cup final is a behemoth at 620 million viewers. It's a massive event.

Hegay fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

oldman posted:

Still wouldn't InBev throw a huge loving fit about them happening the same day?

We're talking about 2022, not next year

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

There's a slew of good reasons to boycott it. Everything from the problems stemming from Qatar being a sharia country, the cost of their bid, their disregard of human rights and the obvious corruption of FIFA.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

corpuscollossus posted:

All unskilled construction labour makes between £150-200 a month, with most having to pay back a visa and loan shark for years after they arrive. Passports are kept by the sponsor and exit permits required to leave.

quote:

A major barrier to redressing labor abuses is the kafala (sponsorship) system, which ties a migrant worker’s legal residence to his or her employer, or “sponsor.” Migrant workers cannot change jobs without their sponsoring employer’s consent, except in exceptional cases with permission from the Interior Ministry.
If a worker leaves his or her sponsoring employer, even if fleeing abuse, the employer can report the worker as “absconding,” leading to detention and deportation.

In order to leave Qatar, migrants must obtain an exit visa from their sponsor, and some said sponsors denied them these visas. Workers widely reported that sponsors confiscated their passports, in violation of the Sponsorship Law.

Literally slavery. For fucks sake.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Tigren posted:

Also, reminder that FIFA has an official "Ethics Committee" and the Senior Vice-President of FIFA, Julio Grondona, says poo poo like this:

If only The FA gave back the Falklands.

Also, this:

Same guy is also the chairman of the Finance Committee.

e: and deputy chairman of Strategic Committee. gently caress FIFA.

Hegay fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 26, 2013

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Reminder there's only around ~300.000 Qataris in Qatar. The rest is immigrant labourers, many of them living in horrible conditions.

Then again, it's no wonder their need almost two million labourers when you keep in mind that Qatar at the moment only have around 16.800 hotel rooms. They don't have the infrastructure needed to host a World Cup. The expectations for South Africa 2010 was around ~450.000 tourists and that was in the middle of a recession. Brazil is hoping for around ~600.000.

Hegay fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 27, 2013

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

mrg220t posted:

What's this suspension of the constitution thing? Does this really happen?

Qatar will have to suspend parts of their constitution (they're a sharia country afterall). They also have to set up some economic freezones I think

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

Defending Qatar this month – European Club Association head Karl Heinz-Rummenigge: "After visiting Qatar for our last general assembly we had a good feeling about a World Cup there." Also last week: German tax authorities fine Rummenigge a reported €250,000 for failing to declare two Rolexes received as gifts during the trip.

This can't be loving real

e: loving hell it is
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2436952/Karl-Heinz-Rummenigge-receives-Rolex-watches-worth-84-000-trip-Qatar.html

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Maradona joining in

Maradona posted:

The FIFA directors are all over 95 years old" he said. "The people there are so old that they cannot even drive a car, so how do they lead the world of football?

Also said that FIFA only cares about business, seems like a lot of the legends is starting to put pressure on FIFA

http://www.inforegion.com.ar/noticia/60006/maradona-no-les-importa-el-futbol-solo-el-negocio

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

I know this is Eurocentric but the World Cup shouldn't have less European teams but more in this posters opinion.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

the sex ghost posted:

I thought they weren't doing that because Sepp didnt want to disrespect the winter olympics, or some other stupid poo poo

I think the plan is to play in december?? As to not disrupt boxing day matches

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

When are China going to host the World Cup?

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Red Star Baldgreg posted:

I hope Sepp Blatter and the entire FIFA Executive Committee get murdered :)

I have high hopes for Brazil 14'

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

I hope Sepp Blatter dies soon.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

corpuscollossus posted:

More of a Catch 22. My employer is extorting me under the threat of deportation to work at half the market wage while I slowly bleed to bankruptcy with rising rent and school fees. Salaries are paid in bits and pieces. I can either head home with nothing or hope that the law changes and step into a job that pays more than double. I should probably just cut my losses.

Are you retarded?? Why the gently caress wouldn't you be on the first plane outta there loving hell

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

The list of demands from FIFA to host countries makes even Mariah Carey blush and it just keeps getting longer so I doubt we'll get anyone but shady countries hosting the World Cup.

Remember FIFA demands full tax exemption for FIFA and people involved in hosting and staging the World Cup (for 5 years, including delegates, players, refs etc).

e: FIFA also wants the Brazil laws changed to make "ambush marketing" a crime punishable by up to a year in prison lol

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Blue Screen Error posted:

Yes you can start Jozy and Adu

lol I honestly thought the OPs links were to Jozys wiki or something

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

hostile apostle posted:

Fifa vice-president Jim Boyce says he would support a re-vote to find a new host for the Qatar World Cup in 2022 if corruption allegations can be proven.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27654587

Given that Qatar has already spent a considerable amount on building the stadiums, can FIFA just take it away? What happens to the stadiums?

It's a pure PR/internal politics move. There won't be a re-vote also "if the corruption allegations can be proven". Videos of Sepp Blatter bathing in Qatari money and kicking slaves won't be proof enough for FIFA.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Danish FA voiced their disapproval today as well. It won't change poo poo because UEFA only has like 53 of the 204 votes.

IMO, the important federations should have more votes

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

joepinetree posted:

Oh, yes, if only people like Platini had more votes we'd never have a world cup in Qatar...

He's at least calling for re-election

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

I HOPE HE DIES SOON FFS

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Jose posted:

I don't know, winning the next FIFA election as he becomes increasingly senile would be interesting

Yeah, it would be pretty loving cool if the dude who somehow seems to be able to manipulate FIFA to do his bidding will get senile and still decide on the sport we all love :D

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Platini is the lesser evil

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Platini has given smaller nations a chance to qualify for Champions League and also given us FFP, which is retarded in it's current version but still a step in the right direction. Infinitely better than Blatter.

This previous week Blatter has been speaking about inter-planetary football cups and the ability to challenge decisions like in Tennis

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Aumanor posted:

Honestly, given how obviously wrong some of the refs' decisions can be, I think that ANY form of video verification is a step in the right direction. Not to imply that Blatter isn't the cancer of the football world, just that imho this particular proposition actually has some merit.

It all evens out

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

hm I dont think so

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

WHY WON'T SEPP BLATTER DIE FFS

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Time for ECA to take over imo

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Julio Grondona has died :getin:

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

He also hated the English because of Falklands and he was a huge corrupt piece of poo poo

quote:

According to a former employee of the Qatar bid team, at least one adviser recommended that the Qatar Football Association make a payment of $78.4 million to help the Argentina Football Association, or AFA, dig out of a financial crisis that threatened the country's domestic league. This person said the payment was meant to help Qatar's relationship with AFA President Julio Grondona, who is a member of FIFA's executive committee.

lol

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

ephex posted:

Not that it is a big surprise or anything, but scientists have shown that holding the WC in Qatar during summer would be a health hazard for the players and supporters.

http://www.realclearscience.com/journal_club/2014/08/21/a_world_cup_in_qatars_summer_wont_be_safe_for_fans_108796.html

Goatseed by a weather graph

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

I dont think he's the real Blatter

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

The Italian mod is taking a hard stance against corruption and he won't back down until someone pays him

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Vegetable posted:

More women playing soccer is cool and good. I want to see a female Gattuso tear one right through Luis Suarez.

No.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

I would be really corrupt as well.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

artificial grass plays way different than natural and its such loving bullshit that we're going to have a winter world cup played on an artificial surface in stadiums build by slaves

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Europe and a couple of the South American teams are the only teams that matter anyways. It'll be easier for those to make a new fed than for FIFA to reform. It's loving retarded that a bunch of small islands no one cares about has as much power as UEFA.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Never trust the swiss

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

drat FIFA knows all the moves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

lol I hope they all die