Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
Out of curiosity, if Sepp Blatter was removed from the situation tomorrow, like if he was thrown in jail or the subject of a gangland assassination (both seem equally likely), who would be most likely to replace him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Tigren posted:

quote:

Yes, I voted for Qatar, because a vote for the US would be like a vote for England, and that is not possible [...] But with the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left.

The idea of punishing America for the UK owning the Falklands (whose residents overwhelmingly want to remain part of the UK) is so loving stupid it's hard to even contemplate.

quote:

I do not believe a Jew can ever be a referee at this level. It's hard work and, you know, Jews don't like hard work.

Revolting. I can't believe this person actually unironically believes in the hateful stereotype of the lazy, shiftless Jew.

...Wait, hold on, that's not even a real stereotype. No one's ever said that. That.... holy gently caress, this guy isn't even good at being racist.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
Gotta admit, all that time we spent complaining about how a schedule change would affect the '22 Premier League season seems kind of silly now.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
Blatter hasn't been making a big deal about it, but he didn't actually vote for Qatar's bid. (He wanted America in '22.) You'd think he'd bring it up more but 1) the only reason he'd do that is to distance himself from the corruption, and he clearly doesn't give a poo poo about that, and 2) it would remind people how little control he exercises over his super-corrupt organization.

In any case he certainly doesn't seem happy about the Qatar situation.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
Out of curiosity, is this the ugliest and most outwardly corrupt FIFA has ever gotten? Because I'm still new at this, but it sure seems like it. Surely the backlash from this will cause some serious reform!

...Right?

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
In response to the allegations, UEFA president Michael Platini says, "HURR LOOK AT ME I'M SEPP BLATTER I DIDN'T KNOW BRIBES WERE HAPPENING DERPY DOO loving duh, everyone, how is this news" (I'm paraphrasing)

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/20/michel-platini-politics-qatar-2022-world-cup

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
You know that scene in The Office US where Michael Scott tries to invite a troop of Boy Scouts to their charity poker night:

quote:

Michael Scott: Oh, and another fun thing. We, at the end of the night, are going to give the check to an actual group of Boy Scouts. Right, Toby? We're gonna...
Toby: Actually, I didn't think it was appropriate to invite children since it's... You know, there's gambling... and alcohol... and it's in our dangerous warehouse... and it's a school night... And, you know, Hooters is catering. You know, is that enough? Should I keep going?
Michael Scott: Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be.

That scene is all I can think of.

quote:

FIFA: And the 2022 World Cup goes to... Qatar!
Toby: Actually, I didn't think it was appropriate to give it to Qatar since it's... You know, it gets 150 degrees in the summer... moving it to winter would disrupt all the leagues... you can't drink... it's illegal to be gay... And, you know, slaves. You know, is that enough? Should I keep going?
FIFA: gently caress you, I'm FIFA.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Crazy Ted posted:

Giving Fifa a lift after another tough month: the prompt conclusion of an inquiry into Qatari slave state allegations, led by Ali bin Samikh al-Marri, head of Qatar's national human rights committee. His verdict: "There is no slavery or forced labour in Qatar."

Phew!

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
So a 40-team World Cup would still go straight from the group stage to a round of 16, right? Christ, this will suck.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
All five CONMEBOL teams made it out of the group stage last World Cup.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
Pssst it's "dike" with an i.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

I cackled with laughter then felt bad, I shouldn't laugh at that

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
I personally am optimistic that the increased spotlight on FIFA's abuses will finally empower Sepp Blatter, a man who has been tragically blamed for endemic corruption beyond his control, to implement the widespread reform FIFA needs. We all should do our part to support Sepp in his crusade to clean up Qatar.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

serious gaylord posted:

If the place is this bad now, what do you think its going to be like in 70 years when the wells start to dry?

By then they should have invested their massive oil profits into diversifying their economy into other industries, like slave trading.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
FIFA is so corrupt I didn't even consider the possibility that it was a joke.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
Forgive me if this is already common knowledge, I'm a total soccer noob, but I was shocked to learn that for the longest time, Sepp Blatter has aspired to win a Nobel Peace Prize.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
I've been smiling and dancing all day, and all last night when I first heard about this, and I can only assume while I was sleeping in between. Today is the best day of my life.

This is the greatest thing to happen to sports since baseball was integrated. I wasn't this happy when we caught Bin Laden.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
Blatter has stabbed so many of his friends in the back to get where he is, it's fitting that one of his pupils like Platini should now betray him.

Also, here's a Bloomberg reporter saying that the Caribbean is starting to back away from Blatter because, get this, they're pissed that Sepp let Jeffrey Webb fall on the chopping block.

And, Brazil will not be voting in the election, as their delegates have either fled or been arrested.

MisterBadIdea fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 29, 2015

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
There is so much happening so fast that I can't keep up with it all.

* Rumors are flying that Blatter is losing support left and right.

* An Italian newspaper is reporting that they have evidence of match-fixing at the 2002 World Cup.

* The United Nations is considering ending its partnerships with FIFA.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
It hasn't even been 48 hours since the whole mess started!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Suqit posted:

Yeah that's a great source. A tweet from that Tancredi Palmeri hack.

I guarantee you everything in that tweet is correct.