Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Spangly A posted:

It's hard to say due to the fact that anyone who makes it clear they're going for power is made to disappear very quickly. But I think it's supposed to be Platini?

BREAKING NEWS: Platini made president of FIFA, demands only PSG players be allowed to participate in 2022 World Cup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

the sex ghost posted:

I wonder how much money I would need to convince FIFA to host an entire World Cup just in the city of Leeds. Various parks and 5 a side pitches around the city for the group games, Elland Road for the final. Is there some sort of bribe chart available for reference

Does Leeds/West Yorkshire have vast amounts of oil reserves sitting under it?

Because this is important.

Also, both semifinals need to be hosted at Headingley, at the same time, one at the cricket ground and the other at the rugby ground.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Psybro posted:

Considered as a whole, Yorkshire has a better claim than Qatar, and if granted independence from the UK would avoid the unfashionability of the UK in world politics.

Consider the huge international leverage of cricket in south Asia, and the internationally popular exports of beer and Finchy from the Office.

Hmmm, Leeds (both Elland Road and Headingley), Hull, Doncaster, Huddersfield, Sheffield (both Bramall Lane and Hillsborough), Bradford (either Valley Parade or Odsal will do), Wakefield Trinity's new ground, something new in York, something new in Halifax...

Draw up a mascot of a whippet wearing a flat cap and with a mug of Bovril and we're sorted.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

my son bort posted:

Dedicated qatar spot because gently caress you

This just makes me wonder which footballer will get paid $Texas to represent Qatar like they do with distance runners.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Peanut President posted:

Yeah a penalty box (sin bin? what is this, a catholic school) has done wonders to stop flagrant fouls in hockey.

Yeah well in hockey they have more gradual punishment: minors (your average penalty like tripping, cross-checking, etc) is 2 minutes and if the other team scores the penalty ends, more nasty stuff is 5 and doesn't end on a goal, and if a guy gets injured off a penalty it's usually a 5 min major plus the offender gets sent off.

(Plus there's subtle differences between leagues/sanctioning bodies in regards to what is a penalty/how long you sit for, but you get that anywhere.)

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Concerned Citizen posted:

Which was placed as "high risk" in the technical evaluation of their proposal, which was a very polite way of saying "what they are claiming they can do is actually impossible."

Actually it's not impossible, here I'll show you how (takes out large stack of non-sequential $100 bills)

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Nostradingus posted:

Why are they not sequential? This is very important to me.

Harder for fraud/corruption investigators to track, but then again FIFA has already investigated itself and found that they aren't corrupt

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Jose posted:

You really should have quoted the best part

Suddenly the Neymar transfer makes more sense.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

the sex ghost posted:

Imagine having a job at FIFA. Just imagine how great your life would be

I remember reading an article a few years ago by a guy that used to work at CONCACAF, where he said that Chuck Blazer (former bigwig at CONCACAF and FIFA, now under FBI investigation for fraud relating to his tenure at both organizations) would usually take them all out to Scores, which was a very high-end strip club in Manhattan, to watch matches and pay for it with a CONCACAF-issued Amex Black Card, which is the one they give out to only the highest of rollers.

e: the article in question is this-- http://footballspeak.com/post/2011/12/27/Now-Is-The-Time.aspx

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Baldo di Gregorio posted:

Platini is such a loving scumbag lol

Remember when people thought he'd be "different"? Seems like he learned well from his time at Juve that money speaks the loudest (doubly so when it's laundered to your family via a CxO job at a "sportswear" firm)

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

The Mash posted:

I agree, FIFA have done a lot to eradica

We must eradicate racism but only while watching the game on our Sony TVs wearing Adidas gear, after driving our Hyundai with Continental tires to get Budweiser and Coca-Cola, all of which were paid for on our Visa card.

(This statement brought to you by Gazprom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXXhu6Jb8wE.)

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 10, 2014

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

sticksy posted:

What would the criteria need to be for some sort of charges or at least penalties against Blatter / an organization like FIFA be?

Would Switzerland need to actually pursue it or could say US law enforcement use something like the RICO statutes they like use to make anything all of a sudden a major felony? Just between the NYT article about crooked refs and documented collusion and bribery in the millions from Qatar in the last month, among other things, let alone all the other documented cases previously, there must be some sort of civil or criminal charges that could be filed right?

Of course nothing will ever happen to this grossly corrupt organization but it'd be nice if at least someone somewhere with jurisdiction tried to make a case against them.

This got me thinking: what if, say, Chuck Blazer, in a desire to try and re-establish any sense of credibility, were to turn over evidence of FIFA corruption/bribery/etc. in exchange for immunity (and his customary ten percent) in any investigation? The US already has both the RICO Act (and just about everything alleged in the Times reports are RICO predicates) and the Alien Tort Statute (burnished by Filartiga v. Pena-Irala and Sosa v. Alvares-Machain, two court cases that basically say that U.S. courts can rule on actions between one or more foreign nationals due to the fact that the law of nations is a long-accepted part of federal common law, and thus under the ATS they hold original jurisdiction) on its books, and I can see more than a few prosecutors wanting to burnish their "tough on corruption" bona fides, potential diplomatic shitstorm be damned.

Come to think of it, this just opened up a whole new avenue of attacking FIFA/corruption/etc.: this means that, for instance, some group could potentially find a Nepalese/Filipino worker on the Qatar WC stadia, gather evidence of slavery, torture, and similar crimes against humanity being done in the course of their construction, and fund a suit or tort claim against the 2022 WC organizers for violations of various treaties. Very interesting.

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 10, 2014

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Hegay posted:

Danish FA voiced their disapproval today as well. It won't change poo poo because UEFA only has like 53 of the 204 votes.

IMO, the important federations should have more votes

Racist.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Just in: a member of FIFA's financial watchdog committee got arrested for defrauding a hospital.

RTE Sport posted:

Canover Watson, a businessman from the Cayman Islands and vice-president of the Caribbean Football Union, has denied the allegations.

Watson sits on FIFA's audit and compliance committee, a body set up in 2012 to "ensure the completeness and reliability" of the world governing body's finances. He is a close friend of FIFA vice-president Jeffrey Webb, a fellow Cayman Islands resident and the president of the CONCACAF confederation of countries from central and North America and the Caribbean.

The 43-year-old was arrested by officers from the Royal Cayman Islands Police Anti-Corruption Unit and has been released on bail to report back to police on 29 September.

The arrest follows following a police investigation into a hospital swipe-card billing system in the Cayman Islands.

According to a police statement, Watson's arrest was for "suspicion of breach of trust contrary to section 13 of the Cayman Islands Anti-Corruption Law, as well as abuse of public office... and conflict of interest", as well as "suspicion of money laundering contrary to section 133 of the Proceeds of Crime Law".

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

A writer watched the FIFA film and the main takeaway he got was that FIFA really, REALLY hates the English.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

We've got an official death toll, folks!

The Guardian posted:

Nepalese migrants building the infrastructure to host the 2022 World Cup have died at a rate of one every two days in 2014 – despite Qatar’s promises to improve their working conditions, the Guardian has learned.

The figure excludes deaths of Indian, Sri Lankan and Bangladeshi workers, raising fears that if fatalities among all migrants were taken into account the toll would almost certainly be more than one a day.
[...]
The Nepalese foreign employment promotion board said 157 of its workers in Qatar had died between January and mid-November this year – 67 of sudden cardiac arrest and eight of heart attacks. Thirty-four deaths were recorded as workplace accidents.

Figures sourced separately by the Guardian from Nepalese authorities suggest the total during that period could be as high as 188. In 2013, the figure from January to mid-November was 168.

“We know that people who work long hours in high temperatures are highly vulnerable to fatal heat strokes, so obviously these figures continue to cause alarm,” said Nicholas McGeehan, the Middle East researcher at Human Rights Watch.

“It’s Qatar’s responsibility to determine if deaths are related to living and working conditions, but Qatar flatly rejected a DLA Piper recommendation to launch an immediate investigation into these deaths last year.”

Some within Qatar suggest the cardiac arrest death rates could be comparable to those among Nepalese workers of a similar age at home. The Indian embassy argued this year that the number of deaths was in line with the average in their home country. But in the absence of robust research or any attempt to catalogue the cause of death, human rights organisations say it is impossible to properly compare figures.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Mino Raiola is now going to run for FIFA prez: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...presidency.html

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

tbp posted:

Ive grown accustomed to my favorite announcer, Anwar Faatin Jafari Shaqeeq Rehman Bakar Saber. Who could forget such classic lines such as" "وسجل ليفربول هدفا التي كانت جيدة. الموت في الغرب.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Tbp akbar

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Teddybear posted:

Watch the no-bid award to fox end up being called a bribe attempt of a US company, and THATS what ends Fifa

The thought of Sepp and co. facing RICO Act charges makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

The head of the CAF announced that Africa will vote as a bloc for Blatter in the FIFA elections

Football is dead, salt the earth, etc.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Blue Star Error posted:

I'd glad someone's keeping up the pressure, I was starting to feel like workers dying of heatstroke was no longer a hot Bhutan topic.

St Evan Echoes posted:

Imagine news of Qatari abuse of migrant workers made it back home to Nepal, it'd send shockwaves through the whole country

I'll admit, I laughed, but keep in mind that the people that made that film got detained and had a sizable amount of footage erased (link auf Deutsch: https://presse.wdr.de/plounge/tv/das_erste/2015/05/20150504_die_story_im_ersten.html;jsessionid=881E66E7D3ACFE57928B91F767223525.presse1)

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

African AIDS cum posted:

I'm not sure worldstarhiphop.com is gonna be able to do much to him tbh

:vince:

Also, I told you all this would happen: the Alien Tort Statute combined with the RICO Act is a powerful thing, and if the Feds have enough to indict it's an almost certain win because they have a 93% conviction rate and do not exactly like to have that number go down.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Also: this case is likely going to get direct oversight from the new US Attorney General (before this she was US Attorney for NY Eastern District, where the FIFA investigation was being held because Chuck Blazer lived there), plus it's her first case as AG and she's looking for something big to put in the win column.

Long story short: FIFA is hosed

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

Or raping children.

I don't think anyone famous will come out and claim what Blatter did wasn't "racketeering-racketeering" like they did with Roman Polanski.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Pleads posted:

How does it work with the US charging them for poo poo that most likely never happened in the US? Is it just that if they commit any of their illegal poo poo in the US, the US can then go after the whole organization?

Is this like the ATF going after the Irish in Sons of Anarchy?

Essentially, yes, because of this law: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Tort_Statute

(Also, in all likelihood some of the stuff Blazer furnished to the Feds took place in the US--remember, CONCACAF has headquarters/offices in both NYC and Miami--so they'd have original jurisdiction on two fronts.)

There's a press conference scheduled for Wednesday morning US time where they'll unseal the indictment and go into more detail

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Blue Star Error posted:

Reminder that I predicted that this investigation would be quietly shelved and USA would get the 2026 World Cup lol. I've never been happier to be wrong.

Would you say this is better than Norwich getting promoted?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Blue Star Error posted:

Potentially, depends if the fed proper do em or if it all fizzles out

Read my posts upthread about how the US Dept of Justice has a 93% conviction rate, the current US Attorney General being the former head of the office that did most of the investigation and thus having a vested interest in this, and in general how the Feds do not bring a case unless they know drat well they will win it.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

WE HAVE A STATEMENT!

https://www.bj.admin.ch/bj/en/home/aktuell/news/2015/2015-27-05.html posted:

By order of the Federal Office of Justice (FOJ), six soccer officials were arrested in Zurich today (Wednesday) and detained pending extradition. The US authorities suspect them of having received bribes totaling in the USD millions.

The six soccer functionaries were arrested today in Zurich by the Zurich Cantonal Police . The FOJ’s arrest warrants were issued further to a request by the US authorities. The US Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York is investigating these individuals on suspicion of the acceptance of bribes and kick-backs between the early 1990s and the present day. The bribery suspects – representatives of sports media and sports promotion firms – are alleged to have been involved in schemes to make payments to the soccer functionaries – delegates of FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) and other functionaries of FIFA sub-organizations – totaling more than USD 100 million. In return, it is believed that they received media, marketing, and sponsorship rights in connection with soccer tournaments in Latin America. According to the US request, these crimes were agreed and prepared in the US, and payments were carried out via US banks.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

The New York Times is now reporting 14 names of people it says have been charged in the US indictments. They are:

Jeffrey Webb
Eugenio Figueredo
Jack Warner
Eduardo Li
Julio Rocha
Costas Takkas
Rafael Esquivel
José Maria Marin
Nicolás Leoz

The New York Times says charges “were also expected against” sports marketing executives Alejandro Burzaco, Aaron Davidson, Hugo Jinkis and Mariano Jinkis.

It said José Margulies has also been charged for allegedly facilitating illegal payments.

poo poo, the former heads of both CONCACAF and CONMEBOL? This is getting bigger than I thought it would.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

Italian newspapers have been saying that since the day the game ended. We all know it was fixed, and I bet the Spanish do as well.

Reminder that the referee in Korea-Italy was only recently released from Sing Sing after serving 26 months when he got caught at JFK Airport trying to smuggle 6 kilograms of heroin into the U.S.

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 29, 2015

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

And just like that, the first headine in today's Opinion section: What if men had periods? It’s a question still worth posing

Their last truly great hot take was Jonathan Jones saying the poppy installation at the Tower of London causes UKIP or some such thing.

How can you talk about Teh Grauniad's massive attempt to go for click bait and not mention that they employ Jessica Valenti?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

corn in the fridge posted:

i think you mean Leeds dad is blattered

only on ibuprofen

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Platini and Blatter just had their bans cut by two years "in recognition of their services to football".

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

We got another one in the Panama Papers: http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/apr/05/panama-papers-pull-fifa-uefa-chief-gianni-infantino-corruption-scandal

quote:

Files seen by the Guardian will raise questions about the role Fifa’s president, Gianni Infantino, played in deals that were concluded when he was director of legal services at Uefa, European football’s governing body.

According to records, Uefa concluded offshore deals with one of the indicted figures at the heart of an alleged “World Cup of fraud” despite previously insisting it had no dealings with any of them.

The emergence of the contracts from 2003 and 2006, which were co-signed by Infantino, link Uefa for the first time to one of the companies involved in the huge unfolding scandal that has brought down former Fifa president Sepp Blatter.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Jeffrey Webb, the former CONCACAF president who was one of the people arrested in Zurich, just had the transcript of his guilty plea released:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/18/fifa-corruption-scandal-us-releases-three-guilty-plea-transcripts posted:

“I abused my position to obtain bribes and kickbacks for my personal benefit,” Webb, who suffers from a heart condition, told the judge in pleading guilty to seven counts and confessing to enriching himself from 2012-2014.

He said he was told in 2012 that sports marketing companies would offer “side payments” or bribes in exchange for commercial rights to soccer matches.

“I believed that such offers were common in this business,” he told the judge.

He confessed to receiving bribes for the sale of commercial rights for 2018 and 2022 World Cup qualifying matches, and in 2012, 2013 and 2014, including for the Copa America Centenario tournament, which will be held in June.

“I deeply regret my participation in this illegal conduct,” said the dual Cayman Islands-British citizen, who was educated in the United States.

He confessed to conspiring to defraud his employers and conspiracy to commit money laundering offenses by transmitting money from the United States to front accounts in Panama, the Cayman Islands and elsewhere.
[...]
Court papers complained last month that Webb kept up a millionaire’s lifestyle quaffing champagne, gambling and partying while under arrest at the US home he may have purchased “with bribes and kickbacks”.

In a letter to the US attorney’s office, Fifa’s lawyers requested an “immediate” audit of Webb’s funds and assets, expressing concern that he may not have fully disclosed them to the court.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

FIFA is perfectly fine in it's original version, when it was strictly limited to football administration and governance. It became an indefensible behemoth when Joao Havelange took it over, made it into a commercial organization, started competing with club football, and introduced Brazilian-style politics and corruption into the organization.

This just makes United Passions, the film that said that all the problems with FIFA were the fault of the British, even funnier.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

vyelkin posted:

rip joao you killed football and stole its lifeforce allowing you to live for an unnaturally long time

all the rear end in a top hat South American guys that helped to kill football all lived for a long time--Havelange, Nicolas Leoz, Julio Grondona etc.

makes you think

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

another reminder that FIFA is poo poo: they're going to let teams based in illegal settlements play in the Israeli league, all while the Israeli government tortures Palestinian footballers

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

UEFA is finally looking at PSG's sponsorship deals: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/apr/11/psg-may-face-uefa-sanctions-overvalued-qatari-deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Babby Thatcher posted:

what's his username on here?

African AIDS cum