Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

MoPZiG posted:

Platini was the one FIFA exec dumb enough to vote for Qatar without allegedly getting a nice bung out of it. He's no better.

Bullshit, Platani's son got a job with a Qatar firm after Qatar won: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/03/uefa-president-qatar-bid-bin-hammam

Blatter's going to win the vote anyway, he's got the corrupt fucks in CAF and the Caribbean licking the poo poo out of his rear end in a top hat.

The only way to fix this poo poo is if Michael Garcia's report actually shows significant evidence (unlikely since he's being hired by FIFA) or the rest of the First World gets tired of FIFA's poo poo and stops supporting the World Cup (also incredibly unlikely).

Even if Qatar won the vote entirely legitimately the worker abuse should have been enough to kill the bid; regardless of the heat, social policies, quality of the host's team, and lack of infrastructure. All are things unrelated to the corruption and really should have killed the bid in the cradle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

They're going to pretend to accept bids again and then give it to Qatar again anyway. I hope US Soccer just copy/pastes what they had in 2012 and doesn't spend an extra dime.

Aside from flying Clinton out again so he can smash up some more mirrors in Zurich.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

England-Italy was a fun preview of what every game will look like in 2022.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Jose posted:

Its one of the reasons FIFA is hosed at doing anything important. Before he got caught bribing everyone Jack Warner had a ridiculous amount of power because all of the CONCACAF members did whatever he wanted giving him a huge amount of votes despite all being poo poo at football

It's also why Blatter keeps fondling the balls of the African Confederation. The sad truth is that at FIFA you can get anything you want by ignoring Europe and the rest of the 1st World by playing to the developing world's propensity to accept bribes.

I'm not trying to be racist as gently caress, it has more to do with the fact that countries like Barbados and Chad don't exactly have a vibrant history of a free and investigative press. Also, in a lot of countries bribes are just the way business is done, it's not strange.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jun 17, 2014

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Lmao compelling answers. They've gone back on everything they said in the bid

I really hope Australia follows through and actually sues FIFA for the money they spent on the bid back. Of all the bids that were beat by Qatar they have the most to be pissed about. Had they known that they could have held the tournament in the winter like Qatar is supposedly doing now they would have had a much stronger bid but instead they had to stick with a summer bid.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

joepinetree posted:

Uh, if they had the world cup it would have been during their (southern hemisphere) winter.

That's what I mean. June/July wouldn't be Australia's first choice. The weather is colder, and they have to work around the Australian Rules Football season are the two big reasons.

If FIFA had been honest in the first place about moving the Qatar World Cup to Dec. then Australia would have had a much stronger bid. That's what they mean when the government is talking about suing FIFA to get the costs of the bid back.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

I'm sure Qatar was the safe choice: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/isis-world-cup-terror-threat-cancel-qatar-2022-094143936.html

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

I'm at the point now where I almost want it to actually take place in Qatar and be such an abject disaster in every sense that it takes FIFA's executive staff down with it.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Did Michael Garcia's report ever come out? I know it was going to be internal FIFA but I don't remember hearing anything about it after the World Cup started.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah and it would be as bad as the last one. America must never be allowed another World Cup.

You mean the most profitable and best attended World Cup ever even accounting for the fact that there were less teams and thus less games?

That American World Cup?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Peanut President posted:

FIFA has spent more time thinking out how to play in Qatar than during the actual bid process.

They're going to lose far more money accommodating the pick of Qatar then they ever made in bribes. Though I guess that money comes out of a different pot then the Executive Council's pocket doesn't it?

Aside from everyone knowing going in that is was going to be the least profitable to FIFA then any of the other 2022 choices all things being equal this is probably going to be the least profitable sporting event in world history.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Byolante posted:

You know even if you played it in the height of the Australian summer it still wouldn't reach the temperatures in Qatar. And if you played in july it would be the middle of winter.

Looking at the bid again, as best I can tell only 2 stadiums the USA presented would be even comparable to Qatar and that would only be due to daytime humidity: Miami and Tampa. The other stadiums the summer heat might affect are indoors (which Qatar assures us is impossible). They could have easily played the games at those outdoor stadiums in the evening. And poo poo, no would care in the first place because Europeans loving love Florida.

I hope Australia sues for the money they spent on the bid back. I'm sure their bid would have been 100% stronger if they knew it could be placed in a different season so it didn't need to conflict with Australian football.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

corpuscollossus posted:

Playing at night in the middle of summer would make little difference unless the stadiums were fully air-conditioned. The only time you spend outdoors between the beginning of May and end of September is between the car door and front door. Even if the games can be moved to the evenings, you'll have millions of fans stuck round-the-clock in hotels. Winter at least will give people the option of the beach or outdoor fan venues.

Winter would be a disaster for two major reasons:

1. Effect on domestic leagues. Either the leagues shift everything around for 2 seasons to accommodate the World Cup or they keep the same schedule and risk losing their best players to stupid injuries. And you can't tell me that the quality of play won't suffer thanks to every player trying not to get hurt.

2. TV contracts. Frankly, this will be the bigger problem for FIFA. The league and player issues affect fans and specific leagues, but the revenue from TV contracts and endorsements is what keeps FIFA alive (The World Cup represents 85% of FIFA's income, that's total, not per year). A winter world cup would compete with the Winter Olympics, the European leagues, the NFL, and the NBA. Every single network would want to renegotiate terms because they didn't pay for a winter world cup.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ronniegardocki posted:

I don't know, ask the guy on the last page who said they would if they were allowed to.

That was me, it was my understanding there was a potential conflict with stadium availability in summer but someone came in and said it wasn't as big a deal as FIFA and the media made it seem.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

Blazer will die before they convince him to testify in court.

Though really that's because Blazer is a great big unhealthy fat person.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Wuntvor posted:

Oh yes, the NFL, the league where players beat their wives, their children, have dog fights and murder people. But don't you dare smoke some weed!

At least that stuff is publicized and not hidden or brushed aside.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Also LOL that the western nations' openness and freedom of the press made their relatively tiny infractions count against them.

Our only hope now is if pressure mounts too high on the sponsors.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Bernie wishes he could be as bulletproof as Sepp.

Maybe he should relocate to Switzerland.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Losing the European federations would be terrible from a talent standpoint but I think what would actually change things in the extreme short term is loss of European and American advertisers and TV contracts. I doubt the federations would stick to the plan for more than a tournament or two and in the meantime FIFA would keep right on trucking. But losing that money would change things before Russia in 2018.

It will never happen. If the international media and public can't get their poo poo together to cover the horrible awful poo poo that's happening in Qatar right this very instant the advertisers will see the outrage as extreme outliers to the general public who will tune in to the World Cup every 4 years.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Well the AFC might care if only because Qatar is a member and with this farce they won't be able to host until again until 2034 at the earliest. I'd imagine the lion's share of AFC exco members went for South Korea and Japan until they were eliminated and then voted against Qatar once they were. Probably thinking that if it went to the US it would almost certainly be going to Asia in 2026.

Of course that assumes rational actors who were voting for the best interests of the sport and their confederation. So forget I said anything.

EDIT: With that in mind, I wonder if the US will come around to being a candidate again in 2026. They seemed pretty soured on the whole process and if I remember correctly they said they'd only be interested if FIFA changed their ways.

Well if Wikipedia is to be believed the confirmed bids so far are Mexico, Canada, and Colombia. So really it's the USA's for the taking if they decide to bid. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2026_FIFA_World_Cup

I think it's funny that FIFA and the IOC are now on the road to having no developed, reasonably non-corrupt countries interested to bid anymore. poo poo the next vote for the Winter Olympics in 2022 is between Almaty, Kazakhstan and loving Beijing. Have fun with that guys.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 14, 2014

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Depending on what part of the year they move it to wait and see if Fox asks for a renegotiated price, especially if it gets moved so it competes with the NFL.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

blue footed boobie posted:

This could be the thing that finally lands FIFA in deep poo poo. I don't know about the countries of these people, but outing whistleblowers is a big no-no in the US and can cost you a ton of money.

That's what I immediately thought too. Nut only did they out whistleblowers, but at least one guy seems to be accusing FIFA of slander.

I'm not sure what the procedure is in Europe but if this was the US a company in FIFA's position would settle any lawsuit as quick as possible to avoid the discovery process.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Barry Shitpeas posted:

When you think about it this all goes back to 1994. An objectively terrible World Cup that nevertheless made them a shitload of money. Now the birthplace of football itself isn't a big enough cash cow for them.

If we're talking about money for FIFA the organization the United States was and is the obvious choice. Most of the money the org makes is through ticket sales and concessions.

Now as for the Exco making the most money, Qatar is our answer there.

Mind, this assumes that potential profit is the only criteria used.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 18, 2014

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

nm

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

It's come to rooting for Wikileaks hasn't it?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

What the hell do you want Garcia to do? Commit career and financial suicide by releasing the report and then spend the next 20 years in jail while his family moves out of their home and changes schools?

He's spent 25 years on his career and you want him to put himself at the mercy of a transnational with over $1 billion in the bank over the integrity of a sport.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

He's so full of poo poo, how can the newspapers just roll over and quote what he says without the obvious follow-ups they should be asking?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Will someone just get it over with and sue these fuckers? Have fun hiding evidence then jackasses.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

After "OK" the most recognizable word in any language in the entire world is "Coke."

Supposedly.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 26, 2014

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Eh it's still under FIFA which means he only gets as much cooperation as the org is willing to give. I'm more hopeful about the FBI at this point.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

Euros with Brazil/Argentina/Ghana/Ivory coast would be cool.

Ivory Coast has never made it past the group stage.

If you were serious about jettisoning from FIFA you'd want UEFA, and CONMEBOL at the very least if you still want it to be competitive. If you absolutely must have anyone from Africa Ghana is the only competitive side worth having. After them the only other teams worth going after from a competition standpoint would be Mexico, USA, Japan, and South Korea. The last three have the added benefit of taking most of FIFA's sponsorship money with them.

You could jettison the rest of Asia, the African Confederation and Oceania and lose absolutely nothing. Note that these three groups along with the Caribbean are the confederations you bribe to get what you want if your Sepp Blatter. Every single country in UEFA and CONMEBOL (along with the USA and Mexico) could vote in complete lockstep and it wouldn't do poo poo to unseat Sepp.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Blue Star Error posted:

You'd probably want Australia instead of USA really

You'd rather have a team that has only gotten out of the group stage once and has actually qualified for half as many world cups as the USA?

I mean poo poo if you just hate the United States I can't help you out but I have a hard time seeing why you'd want to pull Australia in instead of the US in our pretend replacement FIFA.

But if you could get Australia, Japan, and South Korea the Asian Federation would be pretty much dead in the water competition-wise.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Like what? Australian rules Football? Rugby?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

atomic gog posted:

Ive just crunched the numbers. The US have won 9 world cups: 5 in basketball and 4 in baseball. Australia have won 16: 2 rugby union, 10 rugby league, and 4 cricket. Neither have won the proper world cup.

Are we not including Basketball or Ice Hockey for any special reason?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

It seems pretty convenient we aren't considering the Olympics in our count of world championships. Team sports or otherwise.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

stickyfngrdboy posted:

There's nothing wrong with the voting system as it is. It's right that all member states get one vote. What's not right is that those countries with money can very easily buy votes from the poorest countries, with no consequences.

And now the selection of hosts will be done through a full member vote rather than Exco.

My major problem is it's pretty hard to bribe an official large amounts of money in Western Countries with active press corps but for an official in Papua New Guinea bribe and graft are just the way things are and no one will bat an eye.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

By Mid East standards anyway Jordan is actually a bit of a shining beacon. They are relatively responsive to trends and changed around its citizens' rights at the beginning of the Arab Spring before there were mass uprisings you saw in other countries. It also has very little ISIS presence, they've done better than Turkey with the Syria situation.

I mean it's all relative but I'd much rather have Jordan in charge than loving Qatar.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

All these Euros are going to get about 10 votes each while Sepp washes them out with hundreds from Asia and Africa.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

They probably have more to lose with a jilted Qatar selling everyone out after 2022 is taken away at this point.

If they have a revote at all (increasingly unlikely) they will just re-elect Qatar and point to how transparent they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Only if we force them to play with Israel too.