Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Time for America to roll its sleeves up and save soccer once again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

With 4 team groups the level of play in the group stage is now likely to drop off considerably. In the 3-team groups, it was planned that 2 teams were going to advance, meaning there would always be notably weaker team to round out the 3. With groups of 4 I'm expecting there will now be 2 good teams, one average team, and one abysmal team in every group.

Congratulations and welcome to your first World Cup Thailand, enjoy losing by 8 every game while the other teams try and pad their GD.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Simplex posted:

Nah I'm expecting:
Group A
Fiji
Benin
Argentina
Host Country

Group B
South Korea
Senegal
Portugal
Netherlands

I think Qatar still fails to qualify out of Group A

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

vyelkin posted:

United Passions-rear end football game

Player-card unlocks but every card is just Sepp Blatter.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

xK1 posted:

I'm pretty sure they were already having to pay the leagues for rights, I think FIFA just gets the name and the World Cup.

Ya EA is going to sell a game called "Ultimate Soccer/Football 2024" or something and will put Messi on the cover and make nearly as much as they made with the FIFA name. EA still has the contract with the players' unions and the leagues.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Watch them put games in Medina and Mecca.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

If it's possible, Saudi is even less welcoming to tourists than Qatar. Absolutely no one will be at this loving tournament..

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Nobody cares about the u17 WC anyway, it’s just a blindly obvious way for Qatar to bribe FIFA, and nobody will do anything

Ya it's exclusively to solve the problem of "our Swiss banks are known to cooperate with American law enforcement, we need to now physically collect the money and not use a wire transfer."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

joepinetree posted:

I remember on this very thread 10 years ago goons going "FIFA is gonna keep hosting stuff in shady nations because there's no way the US would give fifa all the things it demands."

Turns out those goons were right about FIFA hosting stuff in shady nations. They just were wrong about the US not being shady (or the existence of any non shady nations).

I think the 2026 World Cup was almost a necessity. It was selected while the charges were ongoing, while there was max scrutiny on the org, and fit into their at-the-time policy of continental rotation. Plus, as has been said before, the 1994 World Cup made buckets of money. If you can't skim off the top with construction contracts, the only other place to make money is TV, ticket sales, and sponsorships, and North America is about as good as it gets from that perspective.

It couldn't be a country in Europe, and no other countries had the guts to put in bids that would be subject to criminal discovery in the (at-the-time) ongoing investigations.