Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
Don't really know where to put this but: The Dutch FA have announced that from the 23/24 season, the Dutch 2nd division (i.e. the dutch championship) can be used to trial new rules such as "kickins" instead of throwins, allowed to dribble from a free kick, 5 minute sending off, unlimited substitutions and pure playing time.

In the same press release they also noted that UEFA and FIFA will never change anything so there's still a lot of lobbying to be done lmao

anyway i like all those rules 🤷

guess you can't really do pure playing time and unlimited subs at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Strawman posted:

As non-cunts who are always right 100% of the time, refs deserve to be shielded from even the slightest criticism, imo

name + post combo out of this world

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

fast cars loose anus posted:

What is pure playing time?

Stopping the clock any time the ball is not in play, i.e anytime the ref blows his whistle. You'd have to decide how long a half should be though, most experts say 30-35 minutes would work. So you'd have 30 minutes pure playing time.

Honestly I really don't understand how this has not been implemented yet, because it would instantly take care of time wasting and make the game so much better. It happens in many other sports now too.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
That makes no sense, because if they wanted to shove in ads during the game it would literally work better now, since the downtime would drastically decrease with pure playing time. The whole point of it is to have a much faster game.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Lol no, because the clock is running now and the breaks in play are often pretty short, but frequent.

Nothing would change about this op, except that the breaks in play would become SHORTER since time wasting will come totally useless, i.e. no more fake injuries, keepers keeping the ball as long as possible, etc. The game would become much faster.

quote:

As soon as you stop it then there’s nothing stopping broadcasters/FIFA/UEFA from ensuring it’s a specifically mandated amount of time to fit in adverts

FIFA could do this now as well? 🤷 This is not the argument at all though, and has nothing to do with the idea of pure playing time as such.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Vegetable posted:

Would stopping the clock really make the overall runtime shorter? Football’s nice because it’s just 90 minutes, give or take. If you hit pause for every stoppage it feels like the whole thing can spiral out of control.

That depends on what you set the pure playing time at op. Most people agree that if you set it at 30 to 35 minutes you'll end up with roughly 90 minutes per game, only there will be more actual football being played during those 90 minutes.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

vyelkin posted:

Yeah this is a real problem to consider. In basketball they found recently that in close games the last two minutes of game time can take about half an hour to play because teams are constantly fouling each other and calling timeouts, which keeps stopping the clock after like 0.5 seconds of game time have elapsed.

This is not an issue in football because there are no timeouts op.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
Thread title seems to be correct

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
Next world cup will be 104 matches over 40
days 🫠

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1635648896713015297?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

harperdc posted:

No, go check what Infantino said. They’re absolutely making the best game!

It’s going to be a clusterfuck and I’m here to watch from the sidelines.

actually they are making the best egame op