Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

quote:

@BrianStraus

RT @danroan Told Blatter lost temper today with Exco members who voted for Qatar, reminding them of trouble they created. Met with silence.

Please be true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

T. Finninho posted:

They've pulled the article

For those who missed it: http://pdfcast.org/pdf/give-qatar-a-chance

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Oooh in the USA yeah well I reckon viewing figures wouldn't be that much different, I thought NFL fans hated soccer.

This is probably a far-too-simple way of looking at it and doesn't take ad revenue into account, but Qatar is eight hours ahead of the East Coast in November/December. The only overlap with the NFL would be a cup match that begins at, say, 8 p.m./20:00 (most NFL games start at 1 p.m. ET on Sundays, and the Thursday/Monday night games won't be played at the same time as any WC match). I imagine Fox would use its Fox Sports 1 channel to air those anyway (the final, however ... well, we'll see). Never mind that this is more than seven years away and the network will evolve in any number of ways by then.

And also, what's messier for FIFA: dealing with a potential lawsuit from Fox/Telemundo or pulling out of Qatar? Math isn't difficult there.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Don't get me wrong; I really do hope that this poo poo gets fixed, but at the same time I think with regard to the "but Euro club seasons!" and "but the NFL!" ... c'mon, they'll sort that poo poo out.

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 19, 2015

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
USA and Canada are both voting for Prince Ali, per Sam Borden of the NY Times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches