Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

You know what is kind of awkward? FIFA likes to promote this image of the World Cup being the largest party in the world. You have the big fan zones, an the open festival atmosphere, crowds of people everywhere watching soccer, even if they are not in the stadiums. How in the hell are they going to accomplish this in Qatar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Even outside of cultural and climate issues. Qatar itself is a tiny country, smaller than many of the cities that would have hosted games for pretty much any other host nation.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Eh, if you are trying to sell super computers to the people who poo poo on solid gold toilets you only care about their attendance.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I had a hardy chuckle that at least half the stadiums have artificial turf, and there's going to be some mysterious solution to replace the turf with real grass in time for the World Cup. Takes me back to artificial clouds to hold the World Cup in Qatar in the summer.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I'm pretty sure the plan is just to play on the turf. They just don't want to announce it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

With 4 team groups the level of play in the group stage is now likely to drop off considerably. In the 3-team groups, it was planned that 2 teams were going to advance, meaning there would always be notably weaker team to round out the 3. With groups of 4 I'm expecting there will now be 2 good teams, one average team, and one abysmal team in every group.

Nah I'm expecting:
Group A
Fiji
Benin
Argentina
Host Country

Group B
South Korea
Senegal
Portugal
Netherlands