Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Tsaedje posted:

I'm going to go with 'didn't provably break any rules while squirming through every possible loophole with a brown envelope of cash in each hand'

E: it's funnier than that. A 'fine' in punishment for accepting that rules were breached

The fine is not large

Well the reported fine isn't large. I'm sure the bribes were very large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

White girls wrist tattoo
Qat_ar 202

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/uefa-europa-conference-league-third-competition-europa-champions-explained

You guys excited for the return of the Intertoto Cup

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

fat gay nonce posted:

I liked the idea of smaller teams who don't get into europe getting a go at playing other smaller teams and it was vaguely exciting to read the names of teams I'd never heard of.

The logistics of trying to organise something like that across multiple countries now probably makes it a no go but a european tourny with teams that aren't the normal lot would be good for me.

I agree that it’s good for smaller teams to play in Europe, I just hope that it doesn’t bankrupt them. UEFA better be putting up a lot of the travel and logistical costs.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

BrigadierSensible posted:

A question:

And this is relevant to these athletic championships, and the World Cup, and also the WWE events in Saudi Arabia and a bunch of poo poo like this.

Do the people in charge care that much about how well they are attended, perceived or received internationally? Coz to my thinking, the main point of them is a bullshit dickwaving exercise saying "look how big, rich and important I am. This event is the biggest, most expensive, so therefore the best in the world. Look at the shiny gold plated things. Pay no attention to the nuts and bolts, or practicalities of of it. Such things are for poor people."

So the Qataris don't actually give a gently caress that nobody is in the stadiums, or indeed will be in their magic airconditioned ones for the WC. The important thing is they get to say they held the world cup, and that the toilet taps in the presidential suite are appropriately shined and gold plated.

The sponsors care because the whole point for them is to get people to see their brand and therefore fifa itself cares because it can’t sell advertisements and commercial sponsorships for gently caress you money unless there are eyes on it.

E: for a practical example, look at Serie A where some of the stadiums are half empty. The commercial and ad revenue for the league is terrible compared to many of the other big leagues.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

sticksy posted:

Is this why the WAGs of the World Cup thread was shut down?

Which one of you is a UAE hacker

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

CyberPingu posted:

He bribed his way out of bribery charges. :psyduck:

FIFA puts world governments to shame, it's incredible.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Bea Nanner posted:

less then a million seems like not enough counterbribing. also i would expect all these corruption charges to come with some sort of financial penalty.

That’s only the public portion of the bribe I imagine.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

That’s some weird posting.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Reviving this thread because I can’t think of where else to put it.

https://www.scmp.com/sport/football/article/3113955/chinese-super-league-tightens-salary-and-spending-rules-warning

The Chinese Super League is being told by the government to cap salaries further than they already are, capping foreign players at 3 million Euros a year. The loophole being that image rights and third party sponsorships are not capped but subject to approval by the government. I expect a lot of official Malaysian potato snack partner of Graziano Pellè to make up the difference.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

vyelkin posted:

On the one hand yes you're absolutely right, but on the other hand if we don't collapse the entire football contract and transfer system overnight Ronaldo's wages might bankrupt the country of Italy

Wait, the rest of you aren't in a state of perpetual bankruptcy?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Karl Sharks posted:

if/when this actually happens cause fifa is awful, it'd be nice if all of the usual nations just boycotted the first non-4 year WC and see how fifa likes trying to sell a tourney where the semis are like lithuania vs lebanon, see how much money that brings in

I’d watch this tbh. They should do the World Cup and the World Cup 2 with a bunch of nations that didn’t qualify for the actual World Cup if they want to go every two years.

FIFA pay me 1 billion francs for this idea.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

Switzerland has laws against fraud?

You don't see Pep managing FC Basel

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

the sex ghost posted:

I'm frantically checking every betting site to find the market on which footballer is going to end up detained during the world cup and putting my mortgage on harry maguire

Entire squads are going to be arrested for doing their usual group sex filming and Qatar will win the whole thing.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

* goes in to ops kitchen and bangs all the pots and pans * america is the shithole!!!!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

Then leave, bitch.

Been trying!

Nottherealaborn posted:

And make America better? gently caress that

I mean, lol, but saying that immigrants should leave America to make it better is a real hot take.

Gigi Galli fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 21, 2021

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Peanut President posted:

you could even do like basketball and do a commercial break everytime the ball goes out of bounds. let me tell ya nothing better than a "media timeout" when you're in the crowd!

Didn't some UK broadcaster miss a goal when they tried to cram advertisements in during a stoppage in play? I swear I remember this happening but I can't find anything.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

The first time ESPN aired F1 they thought they could just cut to commercials whenever without replays or anyone to explain what folks had just missed. Absolute shitshow.

They would’ve kept doing it if Mother’s didn’t pay them whatever they did to sponsor it as well.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

I know this is highly illegal to say but I hope this man dies a horrible death.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

nutri_void posted:

A Europe+South America v everyone else schism is absolutely going to happen within the decade

There’s already a Euro vs Copa America winner game this summer. I’m sure it will be expanded to 4 teams, then 8, etc.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

I forget which idiot American sport has the literal “tv time out” stoppage, but that’s exactly where clock stoppages will end up. I mean it’s worth a trial but there is no way a league doesn’t take money from some company to shove ads in, and sneakily implement a “minimum stoppage” so that they can sell quantized air time during matches.

Miraculously I have seen less of this on American coverage, but in Italy certain broadcasters put in 5 second commercials when the ball gets kicked in to the stands or a player is taking his time getting to a throw in. There are usually at least a few of these per match and while its really short it’s very annoying. The water breaks in the hotter months (pronounced “cooleen brehk” of course) are already being filled in with longer versions of these.

I think the Pure Play idea in a world where we weren’t bombarded with advertising would be great, but we all know how the leagues and tv companies operate.

It would be interesting to see how going to the match would be changed. Like does the team play some poo poo over the stadium announcement system or what?

Gigi Galli fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 8, 2022

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

mactheknife posted:

Glad Houston got a pick, that's only a four hour drive for me. Woohoo, World Cup matches.

I say this not to be insulting, but "only" a four hour drive is the most american thing to celebrate.

That said, I live 30 or so miles from one of the stadiums and it will also be a 4 hour drive.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

joepinetree posted:

Nah, it wasn't a necessity. They aren't doing this against their interests. The US, like every other nation, is fully onboard with the corruption.
Hell, the US got 2 Copa Americas and the club world cup to boot.

There's no good guys in football, and people are delusional if they don't think the US, UEFA, CONCACAF and Conmebol are fully onboard with this poo poo.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Thinking about how America, the worldwide bastion of morality and financial transparency, simply doesn't bribe or take bribes from anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

"Luciano Moggi 'desperate' to learn about the act of bribery in wake of Calciopoli scandal"