Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
Still wouldn't InBev throw a huge loving fit about them happening the same day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

NinjaSteve posted:

Australia is going to hold the Asian Cup in 2015 which I think will prove that we have the infrastructure and ability to hold a World Cup. We don't have the willingness to pay for one though.

Qatar hosted the 2011 Asian Cup, which I think proved that they had the infrastructure and ability to hold a World Cup...as long as only 12,000 people show up for games.

They even held it in the Winter. :downs:

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Peanut President posted:

India would be a disaster. Wasn't there a lot of bullshit when they hosted the Commonwealth Games?

It really seemed to be a rather usual 'Asian's style of managing a sporting event, events being "sold out" with empty stadiums and what have you.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
Split the Asian federation!

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Byolante posted:

The should take 2 of Asias slots and give them to oceania, then move Australia back to oceania.

I actually do think they should split into West and East Asia.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Peanut President posted:

I was referring more to the fact that Atlanta asked the IOC how much they were gonna chip in and when the answer came back "zero" they decided to just go balls crazy. poo poo like the opening ceremony and the giant COCA-COLA ad (while pepsi was the official drink).

edit: I got that wrong Atlanta made Coke the official thing the IOC didn't have one.

also this

It pissed off the IOC so much they actually called a meeting just to bitch. If trolling that great doesn't deserve praise then I don't know what does.

Coca Cola is a proud Atlanta company to be fair.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

corpuscollossus posted:

More of a Catch 22. My employer is extorting me under the threat of deportation to work at half the market wage while I slowly bleed to bankruptcy with rising rent and school fees. Salaries are paid in bits and pieces. I can either head home with nothing or hope that the law changes and step into a job that pays more than double. I should probably just cut my losses.

Seriously, get out while you still can. You can either be at home with nothing or in Qatar with nothing. DO you have your passport in your possesion? If so just pull a loving runner.

edit: YOu have been keeping records of all the bullshit right? Just in case you need to explain things to future employers/authorities.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Crazy Ted posted:

I'd be more sympathetic to the lawsuit if the female players cited it as a safety issue instead WE ARE TOTALLY BEING DISCRIMINATED AGAINST!!! because many MLS and NFL teams use FieldTurf and even though it's better than the old green concrete it still chews up knees and bodies has issues at high temperatures. FIFA experiments with stuff in minor tournaments, and in spite of what those players want to think the Women's World Cup is a minor tournament.

It'd be funny in a perverse way if FIFA just cancelled it.

Apparently there are laws in Canada about gender inequality, there should be no double standard in rules in regards of the sexes. So in this particular case, they have a very real case.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
I thought the North Korean labor contingents were well known already?

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
I mean in general middle eastern construction, not just special for the world cup. Maybe it hasn't made it to the English language media?

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

Was this guy 24 when he became president of the Jordanian FA? The BBC says he took that job in 1999

Apparently its a royal office in Jordan, the current King was the FA president before until his ascension in 1999.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Bogan Krkic posted:

Maybe so, but going off their performance in the Asian Cup they're going to have to start naturalising a poo poo load more of them to have any hope of being competitive

They did get the "most booed team of the tournament" award though. That's something.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
No idea how credible this is, but I dislike the Western AFC countries enough to believe it.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...129-131e5g.html

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
So late November and early December? Is FIFA making sure to disrupt the highest number of leagues possible?

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
Might be old "the domestic league gets crap attendance, so they must not like the sport" excuse. Though CSL attendance has been rising if I remember.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Guitar_Hero posted:

and also because none of the stadiums will be ready by then either

Isn't that the whole point of the confederations cup? To be a kind of dress rehearsal for the World Cup?

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
Well, at least this should make certain that the 2023 Asian Cup won't be held in the Middle East or Australia. :)

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Nill posted:

If America had pulled a UK and set up 50 separate associations instead of one big one, there still wouldn't be enough votes from North America and Europe to outweigh all the bribed micronations, would there?

Don't the territories have their own associations?

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
I am finding these actual powerpoint presentations about women's soccer waaay too interesting.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
I am confused, why did the French man Jerome Valcke speak in English? Everybody else was going on in French.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

gfanikf posted:

Didn't they used to be part of Africa or some other Federation at the beginning?

Asia, and yeah a lot of countries simply refused to play them/ couldn't guarantee a "no pogroms" night for games.

Good lord am I a boring, this medical poo poo is so drat good.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Kurtofan posted:

The United Passions Museum.

I got excited about the pinball

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

opus111 posted:

man I'd be gutted if 2006 was bought, that was my favourite tournament since euro 96 :(

We have to assume that every tournament, on almost every level, was bought in some way.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
I wonder how they decided how to place the flags up top. There doesn't seem to be that much of an order, but North and South Korea are right loving next to each other.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Kurtofan posted:

Surely some like Japan, Korea and Australia won't vote for Blatter.

well, that's three....

fake edit: ha! he's got a prop! I love it!

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
Why the gently caress am I listening to this loving moon swiss French poo poo without the lord's English?Q!

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
Giving a whole spot to Oceania? Jesus

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
Isn't one of FIFA's ,relatively recent, conditions that new stadiums get built for the World Cup?

Or was that just construction companies going hog wild in the host countries?

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
Hadn't he said that before? Like last year?

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

algebra testes posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who wanted this.

The Asian Champions League was nuts for this poo poo when Australian club sides would have to travel to Kazakhstan. Which is apparently the worst because none of the connecting flights line up, and they don't have their own aircraft like the national side.

Your point stands about travelling to Central Asia but Kazakhstan is part of UEFA not the AFC. With the high travel costs and low TV and price money, the Asian Champions League is a total money pit.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
Last year a scout for Jeonbuk of the K-League got caught for offering bribes. The KFA's punishment was a nine point deduction for the 2016 season, that wasn't good enough for the AFC though and Jeonbuk is being banned from the Champions League.

http://m.yna.co.kr/mob2/en/contents_en.jsp?cid=AEN20170118011851315&site=0200000000&mobile

quote:

The South Korean club got disqualified from the 2017 Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Champions League, the K League said Thursday. It said the Entry Control Body (ECB), a judicial body independent of the AFC, reached the decision following its review of Jeonbuk's eligibility.

The ECB, established last December, has jurisdiction over reviewing and ruling on a team's eligibility for entering the AFC Champions League (ACL) among other continental events.

Last year, one of Jeonbuk's scouts was convicted of bribing referees in 2013. They were docked nine points by the K League's disciplinary committee -- which cost them a chance to win their third straight domestic league title -- and were fined 100 million won (US$85,700).

Jeonbuk went on to win the ACL in November by beating Al Ain of the United Arab Emirates. Jeonbuk also secured their spot in the 2017 ACL by finishing second in the K League Classic.

In a statement, the AFC noted that Jeonbuk have been ruled ineligible because of their "indirect involvement in activities aimed at arranging or influencing the outcome of matches."

According to a document on eligibility rules, clubs involved in "arranging or influencing the outcome of a match at the national or international level" will be barred from the ACL for one year. The AFC General Secretary Windsor John said last month that the Asian football body has "zero tolerance towards match manipulation and has done more than many other bodies to tackle that threat to sport."

Jeonbuk said they will take the case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), the world's top sports tribunal, to "justify our participation" in the ACL.

Jeonbuk have 10 days to ask the ECB for the reason for its decision. And within 10 days of the reception of the ECB's response, Jeonbuk may then take the case to the CAS.

Jeonbuk had been paired in Group H with Adelaide United of Australia, Jiangsu FC of China and a playoff-winning team to be determined later.

According to sources here, Adelaide United earlier requested the AFC to deny Jeonbuk access.

With Jeonbuk's disqualification, Jeju United, which earned an ACL playoff spot after finishing third in the K League Classic, will take Jeonbuk's place in Group H. Ulsan Hyundai, fourth last year in the domestic league, will get into the playoffs in Jeju's stead.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Jose posted:

the new south korean president wants a world cup jointly held with north korea lol

This is brought up with every Korean bid, it's a no effort olive branch to the North that never gets taken seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

aw crap is that going to screw up a bunch of the legal cases?

He had given his deposition long ago, so it shouldn't ( I would think) everyone knew he wasn't long for this world.