Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wazzerphuk posted:

The Intertoto Cup was a cool dude competition for cool dude teams, please don't troll

It is. Scott Parker, legendary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

So how many players will have to die of heat exhaustion in the 2020 WC before Fifa abandon it?

Did you see the marathon? Started at midnight , 90F+, 70% humidity, heat index of a 104F

41% of the runners DNFd

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wow this is next level gently caress you money.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

vyelkin posted:

Never fear you guys they are ON IT

FIFA is gonna kick out coronavirus just like they kicked out racism.

They’ll appear right next to each other and infect the entire room

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

jeebus bob posted:

Dude, don't quote poo poo from 3½ years ago.

This is the 2nd time I’ve seen this, it’s real weird

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Reviving this thread because I can’t think of where else to put it.

https://www.scmp.com/sport/football/article/3113955/chinese-super-league-tightens-salary-and-spending-rules-warning

The Chinese Super League is being told by the government to cap salaries further than they already are, capping foreign players at 3 million Euros a year. The loophole being that image rights and third party sponsorships are not capped but subject to approval by the government. I expect a lot of official Malaysian potato snack partner of Graziano Pellè to make up the difference.

Are they trying to focus on improving their domestic players? For how big China is their national team is terrible.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

All my friends hate the biannual World Cup

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

trem_two posted:

Dunno necessarily where the best place to post this is, but lol lmao

https://twitter.com/MailSport/status/1463405798785171460

Football halves are too long as well, let’s make them into 2 twenty minute quarters instead and we can squeeze 5 minutes of commercials in between

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

nawilo_420 posted:

Stopping the clock any time the ball is not in play, i.e anytime the ref blows his whistle. You'd have to decide how long a half should be though, most experts say 30-35 minutes would work. So you'd have 30 minutes pure playing time.

Honestly I really don't understand how this has not been implemented yet, because it would instantly take care of time wasting and make the game so much better. It happens in many other sports now too.

Anytime they stop the clock is just an opportunity to break away for commercials, it is absolutely the next step for money hungry organizations

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

nawilo_420 posted:

That makes no sense, because if they wanted to shove in ads during the game it would literally work better now, since the downtime would drastically decrease with pure playing time. The whole point of it is to have a much faster game.

Lol no, because the clock is running now and the breaks in play are often pretty short, but frequent. As soon as you stop it then there’s nothing stopping broadcasters/FIFA/UEFA from ensuring it’s a specifically mandated amount of time to fit in adverts

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

nawilo_420 posted:

Nothing would change about this op, except that the breaks in play would become SHORTER since time wasting will come totally useless, i.e. no more fake injuries, keepers keeping the ball as long as possible, etc. The game would become much faster.

FIFA could do this now as well? 🤷 This is not the argument at all though, and has nothing to do with the idea of pure playing time as such.

Lol the A League implemented drinks breaks solely to add in commercials and that was without a stopped clock, you’re dreaming if you think an actual clock stoppage won’t be monetized

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ask your wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nobody cares about the u17 WC anyway, it’s just a blindly obvious way for Qatar to bribe FIFA, and nobody will do anything