Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Don't worry, I'm sure the guy who tortures people from Bahrain already bought enough votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

El Hefe posted:

There's an American guy running?

No he got arrested for buying a $10m apartment for his cats.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Hoops posted:

Whilst fully admitting I haven't been fully keeping up with every detail of the case (or every post in this thread), it does feel to me like there is a factor of American exceptionalism with how they've taken ownership of the entire scandal. They want to show these foreigners that their old-world back-handers don't fly. America is very separate from FIFA and I think that creates an environment that leads the US prosecutors into wanting to flex a bit of extra muscle, and make this a Win For America. Similarly, that's why US posters are super active in this thread.

If football and FIFA, as this enormous global operation, were less alien to the US then I reckon this would be playing out differently.

I don't think you understand how little the US government gives a poo poo about FIFA. This isn't a Win For America, or even about not getting the 2022 World Cup. The USDOJ has a real hard-on for rooting out and destroying traditional Organized Crime. Once they realized that's basically what was going on, using American financial resources, US prosecutors are just following the formula for taking down the Mafia. It may be strange for someone outside the US to see things go about this way given the US's political activities in other countries, but this is par for the course when they find this stuff domestically.

The only way I could see this playing out differently, is that because FIFA is truly international, it's going a lot slower than it would if they didn't have to wait for extraditions.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Wow. A day after being accused, he opens a different shell company. I'm sure this won't affect his case at all, no sir.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

El Hefe posted:

Messi has already denied all accusations and is planning on suing the papers who came up with this story so as you can see he's actually completely innocent.

Serious question: If he was ever actually sentenced to prison by a judge in Madrid for any of this, how bad would the rioting be? The rhetoric/mistrust between Barcelona fans/citizens and what is seen as favoritism/corruption in favor of Real is already insane.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

This all started because a man who looked like Santa Claus bought a Manhattan apartment for his cats.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

There are rumors even famously non-corrupt Sunil Gulati is getting busted for some sort of backroom deal with Infantino to oust the Audit guy who resigned a month ago.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Yeah most youth leagues in America have a rule about the heat index getting to 95 or higher requiring water breaks to prevent serious injury. Heat index of 104 cancels the game.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

jyrka posted:

:lol:

Whatever country I'm from will never qualify for anything. I didn't consider the possibility for a second.

I just think 40 teams will decrease the chances of a big team not qualifying which will be better for everyone - fans want all the famous teams there, it will bring more revenue in, it will be easier on the players who already have very demanding club seasons, and, yes, there will be room for a couple of Iceland-type stories. It's a win-win-win-win situation.

He also wants USA/Canada/Mexico to co-host it. Which is dumb as hell and would be a clusterfuck of travel times, distance, and passport bullshit.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Jose posted:

nobody wants another winter world cup

That's football season, bruh. We would make Syria look like Disneyland if you had to reschedule Texas High School Football.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Jeffrey Webb, ex-Head of CONCACAF was banned for life today from football by FIFA. Him being the Head of CONCACAF was still one of the dumbest and shortest appointments ever. He was a Warner crony from the Caymans who specialized in banking. He was also elected by the Caribbean bloc because they thought he would enact 'revenge' against the US for this whole clusterfuck.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Malachite_Dragon posted:

... How exactly was he supposed to enact this supposed revenge? :confused:

Who knows? CONCACAF is weird. Everything is run through tiny, poor Caribbean islands who barely even have national teams. Most likely, they would black any proposals USSoccer would put forth, but other than that, I don't know. We're by far the biggest money maker for them as the only country who hosts anything of significance.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

:doh: loving phone posting...

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Tell the Carribean to gently caress off and join Oceania, problem solved

It would solve a lot of issues. Except then we'd be like 6 countries.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Wait. Canada has qualified for a World Cup? Do they know?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Mean Bean Machine posted:

CONCACAF is toxic. UEFA supremacy

Still salty about that US/Portugal game I see.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Mean Bean Machine posted:

How many Euros have the US won?

drat. You would have been the richest person in Rome sitting on that mountain of salt.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

I remember when Brazil said there was going to be no alcohol in the stadiums and FIFA threatened to pull the entire WC. You think they'll say anything this time?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Weaponized Cum posted:

its like they hired some american consultants

What's sad is that this is all a European's idea. You can't even blame it on us this time.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

LOOOOOOOOOL at CONCACAF getting more spots than CONMEBOL. These guys are insane. That's literally The Hex plus a playoff. I guess they want more 8-0 games in the group stages and the Carribean nations to make fools of themselves.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Blue Star Error posted:

North America, cut off rank: 75
Costa Rica, Mexico, USA, Panama, Haiti, Honduras, Curacao (play off)

I was super ready to call bullshit on this, but holy gently caress the rankings in CONCACAF are fucky.

code:
17   Costa Rica
18   Mexico
28   USA
58   Panama
73   Haiti
75   Honduras
-------------------------
75   Curacao
-------------------------
77   Jamaica
78   T&T
79   Guatemala
80   St. Kitts & Nevis
93   Antigua & Barbuda
117  Canada (lol)
Fun fact: Haiti, Curacao, St. Kitts & Nevis, and Antigua & Barbuda have never made the Hex.

bonus: Curacao's recent record:
code:
24 March 2016    Caribbean Cup Q	Barbados 	          1–0	 Curaçao	
26 March 2016    Caribbean Cup Q	Curaçao 	          2–1	 Dominican Republic	
1 June 2016      Caribbean Cup Q	Guyana 	                  2–5	 Curaçao	
4 June 2016      Caribbean Cup Q	Curaçao 	          7–0	 U.S. Virgin Islands	
1 September 2016 Friendly match	        Achilles '29 Netherlands  0–1	 Curaçao	
5 October 2016   Caribbean Cup Q	Curaçao 	          3–0	 Antigua and Barbuda	
11 October 2016  Caribbean Cup Q	Puerto Rico 	          2–4 (a.e.t.)	 Curaçao	
9 November 2016  Friendly match	        SBV Excelsior Netherlands 1–1    Curaçao

B.B. Rodriguez fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 10, 2017

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Simone Poodoin posted:

lol at nerds using the stupid rankings to predict who would qualify

I was more flabbergasted that Curacao was somehow higher than Jamaica.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Now the Caribbean Union is thinking about breaking away from CONCACAF to form their own thing. It would reduce us from 41 nations to 10. It would also lower our corruption rating 99% and make it so the US and Mexico can actually have a seat at the table when discussing just about anything.

This would be the best news to come out of this 48 team business.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

stab posted:

who would be the ten

and give them 3 spots so its always usa mexico and a battle from the other 7

From the CONCACAF wiki:

North American Zone (NAFU)

USA :911:
Mexico :mexico:
Canada :canada:

Central American Zone (UNCAF)

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Guatemala
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

The rest are all in the Carribean zone (CFU)

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Can you imagine the travel? Canada playing away to Chile or Argentina and then flying back to play at home 3 days later? That's farther than London to Johannesburg and back.

There's no way we combine with CONMEBOL.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I would be interested to see how binning players for 10 minutes for certain infringements would impact games.

Not sure what infringements should result in a binning. Maybe professional fouls that currently result in a yellow? A binning for persistent fouling or bad fouls might work as well.

Messi and Barca players would still never get called for it.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Wait. You guys actually think MLS 1.0 penalty shootouts are a good thing?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

I had never actually seen them before, but why are they so bad?

After 120 minutes of a game you have two men running full speed at each other from 35 yards away in less than 7 seconds. It's a recipe for injury disaster as well as it's never as exciting as you might think because these guys are dead tired. Remember that it's still 1v1, so all the rest of the guys are going to be waiting, standing still for 5+ minutes and then running full tilt. If FIFA really cared about player safety, which they don't, this would be the worst possible way to end a game.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Suqit posted:

Refereeing has been the one obstacle keeping the English from being an elite team. Conversely the Spanish and Germans would be poo poo if not for refereeing.

I seem to remember a certain referee decision benefiting England greatly in 1966...

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

My biggest pet peeve as a referee is that at a certain level, referees just stop giving cards for dissent and foul and abusive language. The amount of abuse i see every week towards referees is staggering. After every call, especially in England, the player has pretty much a constant stream of 'gently caress off' and whatever else they can think of while the ref just takes it. It's gotten to the point that players think that it's ok. Back when i would do about 4 games a week, I'd end up averaging at least a red per week because of giving guys 2 yellows in the span of a minute, first for whatever foul they committed, and then immediately the second because of the hate spewing out if their mouth.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Vinestalk posted:

The German FA is letting China bring it's U20 team into it's 4th division. loving shameful.

What? Do they have a club or something in Germany that is just the Chinese u20?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

If some team got relegated, but you don't have enough teams for the league, the solution is not to get the Chinese u20 to join. You allow the relegated team to stay. There's got to be someone getting a kickback somewhere for this to happen.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

It'll be the first 48 (lol) team World Cup so it'll have to be somewhere with significant infrastructure, especially with the delay on finalizing the host

Uh, you know US/Mexico/Canada already has a joint bid in that is almost 100% approved already?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

quote:

A PLAN FOR the United Arab Emirates to wage financial war against its Gulf rival Qatar was found in the task folder of an email account belonging to UAE Ambassador to the United States Yousef al-Otaiba and subsequently obtained by The Intercept.

Well that's not suspicious at all, The Intercept. With them basically being a Russian media outlet, and all this hacking going on, I'm totally shocked an ambassador's email was 'found' and 'obtained' by you guys.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Yeah, wire fraud (FIRREA) and money laundering (I'm guessing AML/BSA) are pretty straight forward pieces of law. If you lie about your assets or seek to hide them you're hosed.

I think these people are hosed.

Same thing is going to happen to Trump & Co for the same things and more.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Manafort has already been charged with money laundering.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Guys. This case just got blown wide open:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/kevin-jonas-testifies-fifa-corruption-trial-brooklyn-article-1.3683875

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

How many people do you think will die at the 2018 World Cup?

Die or 'disappear'? Because there's going to be a bunch of gays who 'suddenly decide' that they want to live in Siberia for the rest of their lives or 'kill themselves' in alleys.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Welp. It'll be nice going on a vacation to Morocco I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Weaponized Cum posted:

It was alright. Bebeto celebration, mob killings, Baggio's hair

Nothing beats Maradona's coke-fueled screaming into the camera that ended his career.