Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

CyberPingu posted:

Some African refs that were scheduled to ref games at the WC have been filmed taking bribes.

Totally normal

It is though. CAF's FIFA referee shortage is worse than any other confederation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Because they've been taking bribes all their life and the only difference this time was that someone was filming them.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

if an oil rich country paid me to write propaganda for them, i'd ask for more than nine grand

Likely that the writers had no contact and were not aware of the funder of the propaganda. Firms like this wouldn't be around long if they disclosed who they were ultimately working for. Sounds like BLJ found a lovely anti-foreigner rear end in a top hat to pen a paper about how immigrants and browns = bad.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

vyelkin posted:

You have to go by FIFA's rules. FIFA doesn't give a poo poo about the environment or slave labour. Proof of bribes would have been enough, but FIFA did an internal investigation led by that one American lawyer guy and he claimed not to find any evidence of wrongdoing (lol).

Isn't that not the case at all? Michael Garcia did this:

quote:

Chairman of the investigatory chamber of the Ethics Committee of FIFA (2012–2014)
Main article: Garcia Report
On July 17, 2012, in the wake of announced anti-corruption reforms by Sepp Blatter, the President of the world association football governing body FIFA,[19] the organization appointed Garcia as the chairman of the investigative chamber of FIFA Ethics Committee, while German judge Hans-Joachim Eckert was appointed as the chairman of the Ethics Committee's adjudication chamber.[20]

In August 2012, Garcia declared his intention to investigate the bidding process and decision to respectively award the right to host the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cup to Russia and Qatar by the FIFA Executive Committee.[21] Garcia delivered his consequent 350-page report in September 2014, and Eckert subsequently announced that it would not be made public for legal reasons.[22]

On November 13, 2014, Eckert released a 42-page summary of his findings after reviewing Garcia's report. The summary cleared both Russia and Qatar of any wrongdoing during the bidding for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups,[23] leaving Russia and Qatar free to stage their respective World Cups.[24]

FIFA welcomed "the fact that a degree of closure has been reached," while the Associated Press wrote that the Eckert summary "was denounced by critics as a whitewash."[24] Hours after the Eckert summary was released, Garcia himself criticized it for being "materially incomplete" with "erroneous representations of the facts and conclusions," while declaring his intention to appeal to FIFA's Appeal Committee.[23] On December 16, 2014, FIFA's Appeal Committee dismissed Garcia's appeal against the Eckert summary as "not admissible." FIFA also stated that Eckert's summary was "neither legally binding nor appealable."[25] A day later, Garcia resigned from his role as FIFA ethics investigator in protest of FIFA's conduct, citing a "lack of leadership" and lost confidence in the independence of Eckert from FIFA.[26]

In June 2015, Swiss authorities said the report was of little value.[27]

Bolding mine. It was Hans-Joachim Eckert who released the summary that cleared of wrong-doing and then wouldn't release it.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

vyelkin posted:

Oh sorry let me apologize for impugning the honour of the man who found loads of evidence of FIFA bribes that could have ruined the organization and then did nothing about it

quote:

FIFA welcomed "the fact that a degree of closure has been reached," while the Associated Press wrote that the Eckert summary "was denounced by critics as a whitewash."[24] Hours after the Eckert summary was released, Garcia himself criticized it for being "materially incomplete" with "erroneous representations of the facts and conclusions," while declaring his intention to appeal to FIFA's Appeal Committee.[23] On December 16, 2014, FIFA's Appeal Committee dismissed Garcia's appeal against the Eckert summary as "not admissible." FIFA also stated that Eckert's summary was "neither legally binding nor appealable."[25] A day later, Garcia resigned from his role as FIFA ethics investigator in protest of FIFA's conduct, citing a "lack of leadership" and lost confidence in the independence of Eckert from FIFA.[26]

I urge you to read that again.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Simone Poodoin posted:

Remember when people thought the mighty Americans would use RICO to take down FIFA?

Yeah. I thought a lot of things pre-November 2016.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

We'll see if he disappears when he goes back to Bahrain. Or all of a sudden they have 'proof' of him being gay or something.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

It still boggles my mind that Sochi was never finished, that many people died, and the Olympics still happened in those incredibly dangerous conditions while the IOC was allowed to quash any mention of it during the games.

And yet, Qatar I still don't think will actually happen.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Yeah, the European Clubs Association already said they're not participating the the new Club World Cup.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

oliwan posted:

The world cup is not going to brexit-riddled UK btw, sorry ops

*England.

When people talk about 'The UK', they really just mean England. Just like with all of their politics.

And Scotland will be voting, or have voted already for IndyRef2 by then. Hopefully, I'll be among them if I'm still living here then. I can't wait.

Also, huge lol at people thinking Saudi Arabia and the UAE would ever, EVER host games, or even work with Qatar. Do y'all forget that the Saudis literally blockaded Qatar like last year? Add in all the US/Jared Kushner fuckery and it's a wonder shots haven't been fired.

B.B. Rodriguez fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 18, 2019

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Guess what?

Nasser Al-Khelaifi just bribed FIFA to drop the charges. No really.

https://twitter.com/TimesSport/status/1230739063163850752

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

The only conceivably interesting thing here is whether or not ESPN would have any legal recourse against FOX Sports in the US since FOX won World Cup rights over ESPN thanks to bribes, but thanks to the USA's wonderful non-enforcement of antitrust laws they've since become owned by the same company.

Remember, laws are pretty malleable in the US at the moment. Fox Sports is still a Murdoch company and he's best buddies with Trump, and therefore, with AG Barr as well.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Having fully non-guaranteed contracts in the sport's biggest leagues would be pure chaos, and unilaterally imposing non-guaranteed contracts in the sport's biggest leagues would be pure lunacy.

It would be just like the NFL where contracts mean absolutely nothing and the only thing that matters is signing bonuses. Basically the entire sport would collapse in one transfer window.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

lol they're gonna roll lawn turf out from the local garden centre and it's going to be destroyed within the first minute of the first match

I mean, is that what happens when Tottenham roll in a new surface for NFL games?

Most of these stadiums already switch surfaces and we're designed to do so.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

then how come it's being reported as some big problem to solve

I honestly don't know because all of these stadiums host friendlies all the time.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

joepinetree posted:

Nah, it wasn't a necessity. They aren't doing this against their interests. The US, like every other nation, is fully onboard with the corruption.
Hell, the US got 2 Copa Americas and the club world cup to boot.

There's no good guys in football, and people are delusional if they don't think the US, UEFA, CONCACAF and Conmebol are fully onboard with this poo poo.

Eh, I don't think it's the US per se, more CONCACAF being CONCACAF. The Copa America thing if def just CONMEBOL/CONCACAF doing their normal grift. The US will gladly host any and all tournaments and won't be doing the usual bribing etc. But it's also the home of giant crowds, tv, and nebulous promoters. It's a lot easier to get paid in the US than in all of the other countries in this hemisphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

advanced statsman posted:

it's also a post from one of TRP's certified worst posters in history

signed: a bad poster

I am? When did I get a certification?