Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

There are only around 200,000 Qatari nationals right? Give them all tickets and a month's stay at a 5-star hotel wherever they actually can host the event in 2022. Job done for a fraction of the cost of 1 new air conditioned seating section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

He's doing it for the family

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Just have small 4 team tournament of players handpicked by sponsors. Team Qatar Foundation vs Team Gazpron for world supremacy.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Byolante posted:

Part of the reason the Australian bid failed so spectacularly is the government said under no circumstances would the world cup be made tax exempt.

Something I don't understand is that even with the tax issue surely FIFA could make more money putting the cup in a large country like Australia. Assuming tv contracts are the same, wouldn't they sell more tickets and have more participating sponsored merchants etc? I know it was all about the exco guys getting a golden handshake (look at the comical round 1 voting tally and then round 2 correction) but surely fifas next choice goes to a country that is more a sure thing?

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Blatter really wants a Nobel Peace Prize. That's why hes sticking around..

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, you don't see people dying while building new tracks.

they most definitely have in bahrain etc.

Someone care to explain why this latest round of Fifaleaks is the smoking gun for Qatar 2022? I thought all this bribery was common knowledge already.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Best result for Sepp is if he gets to re-award 2022 no-contest to China.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Platini was the one FIFA exec dumb enough to vote for Qatar without allegedly getting a nice bung out of it. He's no better.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

I still cant get over the no bid TV deal on the 2026 WC for FOX/Telemundo....that is FIFA leaving something like $500 million on the table to instead do nothing.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

thats a great campaign slogan. He's got the vote of mopzig FA.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

well in the rest of the world its just an ethnic money laundering scheme for boys :jerkbag:

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

tbh it makes more sense to host it in Brazil before all those brand new WC stadiums completely fall apart.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Platini and Beckenbauer please

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

The world's largest sporting entity brought down by lil Trinidad. Haha.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Adidas is the only core sponsor that really has weight with FIFA....seeing as they basically invented the whole World Cup thing et al.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Rated PG-34 posted:

With a bit of luck and enough suspensions, the line of succession will fall to the janitor.

I am lead to believe that janitors in Switzerland all have at least a doctorate. Good choice op.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

El Hefe posted:

have they arrested anyone from a first world country yet?

um...usa count?

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

So we all cool with Sheikh Salman (Asia confed head) being the new FIFA godking?

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Somewhere between fault and incompetence there is criminal negligence and that is where Blatter finds himself today.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Shoren posted:

I disagree because I expect to see a lot more dirty laundry being aired out regarding Qatar in the next couple months. The first thing the next FIFA president (assuming it's not Blatter again) is going to do is distance himself from the previous regime and call for a re-vote for the 2022 World Cup. I don't doubt there will still be shady deals made for large cash payments when the dust settles, but it'll be done with more discretion. Everything about the Qatar vote screams corruption and it's amazing it took so long for anything to happen to FIFA.

...what more possibly needs to be revealed on this? It was a fix by the French government...Blatter of all people said this clearly in the FT.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Everyone will gather in air conditioned mega malls...the sponsors will love it.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

27 of FIFA's 34 sponsorship slots remain unfilled post qatargate...goons who is up for a whipround?

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

why always me?

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Can we actually just skip the bother of organizing world cups and just have the Nike commercials?

The rematch doesnt need a cage!

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Don't they know that this election is going to have more scrutiny than ever? Are FIFA members really this dumb?

Well CAF (and their 54 delegates) just endorsed him. Lets run this poo poo into the ground.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

In news that should surprise noone, frontrunner Sheikh Salman doesn't appear to get democracy, wants backroom deal instead of actual FIFA election: http://www.sunherald.com/news/politics-government/article59308013.html

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

All hail Gianni...our Swiss bureaucrat to save us from Swiss bureaucrats!

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Nucken Futz posted:

I'm calling it now.

Russia gets to keep their WC only because Putin is still too big of a oval office to gently caress with ..... for now.

Qatar will get their prize pulled, no refunds. you cheated sand people and we have proof ... gently caress you!
Awarded to the USA.

Business as usual.

In Trump fashion I am for the deal.

Move WC to the USA but offer all 200,000 native Qataris free travel, 5 star accommodation and match tickets. They'd take that deal.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Excellent at football and fraud, Messi truly is the perfect FIFA representative.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

So is Qatar keeping the World Cup or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Shrapnig posted:

It's the Kobayashi Maru of VAR.

oh man i missed this forum.