Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

So today imgur uploads all of a sudden quit working. I relinked my imgur account in the account section of this app but when I try to upload I just get an immediate "bad request", anyone know what I can poke at to troubleshoot?

Android 14 running latest version of this app from the Google Play store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

cr0y posted:

So today imgur uploads all of a sudden quit working. I relinked my imgur account in the account section of this app but when I try to upload I just get an immediate "bad request", anyone know what I can poke at to troubleshoot?

Android 14 running latest version of this app from the Google Play store.

It's been happening to me all day, too. It happened a couple weeks ago as well, but resolved itself within the day.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's been happening to me all day, too. It happened a couple weeks ago as well, but resolved itself within the day.

I did everything I can think of, I don't know if it's on the app side or on imgurs side. I uninstalled/reinstalled this app, reset my imgur password, logged out/logged back in and cleared cookies and poo poo. :shrug:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

cr0y posted:

I did everything I can think of, I don't know if it's on the app side or on imgurs side. I uninstalled/reinstalled this app, reset my imgur password, logged out/logged back in and cleared cookies and poo poo. :shrug:

Did you log into imgur specifically in Chrome? Iirc I had problems until I did. No idea why.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Did you log into imgur specifically in Chrome? Iirc I had problems until I did. No idea why.

I just tried this and reinstalled the Awful app to force it to reconnect my account (successful), still no go on uploading images.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm also getting the issue.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
🙋‍♂️ got the same issue

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012
Jumping on the Imgur pity wagon

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I can confirm it's (not) happening. Either imgur changed something, or someone uploaded 1000 images through the app. I'll take a look later today.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Sereri posted:

I can confirm it's (not) happening. Either imgur changed something, or someone uploaded 1000 images through the app. I'll take a look later today.

I tried uploading a picture of the Last Supper where everyone is eating tacos taken at my local Mexican place, but, nope, still not working this morning.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sereri posted:

To be honest I've seen some posts here and there that made me wonder if an image limit isn't a bad idea.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Lobok posted:

To be honest I've seen some posts here and there that made me wonder if an image limit isn't a bad idea.

If you want to avoid bad posts, then maybe this is not the app for you, pictures or no pictures.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Jumping in on also getting bad request imgur errors

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah it's happening to everyone free tech support said they would look into the cause
:love:

Caedite eos
Jan 1, 2011
I couldnt see this in the OP so sorry if it's mentioned elsewhere but is there a way to download a thread ahead of a flight or whatever where you know you'll have no WiFi?

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

we were talking about it in the State of the Forums thread and wanna just say - thanks for the app. it's a good app.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Big Mac posted:

we were talking about it in the State of the Forums thread and wanna just say - thanks for the app. it's a good app.

Yeah! Thank you, everyone that has contributed to it!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Yeah, being my most-used app by far for over a decade for the low price of free is pretty impressive. Or it's an indicator I'm a degenerate troglodyte. :iiam:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Caedite eos posted:

I couldnt see this in the OP so sorry if it's mentioned elsewhere but is there a way to download a thread ahead of a flight or whatever where you know you'll have no WiFi?

This did come up recently, and no. You'll have to load each page in advance so it's all cached locally on your phone

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Is there any chance that the "quote post" button on the ... Menu on posts in closed threads could be replaced by a "quote post to clipboard" function that works the same re: appending multi quotes? (The multi quote thing is not anywhere near as important, I can't think of one time I've needed it but I'm sure it'll happen eventually)

I occasionally find myself wanting to start a new thread to continue discussing something from a closed thread with a quoted post for context/breadcrumbs back to the old thread, for example a chat thread or a new megathread when the old one was already closed by the OP, and to the best of my knowledge there's no way to quote a properly formatted post with the quote postid and whatnot attached correctly with one click right now, you have to either reconstruct it manually or just get a life and not do that. And obviously neither of those are good options.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Yeah, being my most-used app by far for over a decade for the low price of free is pretty impressive. Or it's an indicator I'm a degenerate troglodyte. :iiam:

Oh it's both, I know from experience

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

kastein posted:

Is there any chance that the "quote post" button on the ... Menu on posts in closed threads could be replaced by a "quote post to clipboard" function that works the same re: appending multi quotes? (The multi quote thing is not anywhere near as important, I can't think of one time I've needed it but I'm sure it'll happen eventually)

I occasionally find myself wanting to start a new thread to continue discussing something from a closed thread with a quoted post for context/breadcrumbs back to the old thread, for example a chat thread or a new megathread when the old one was already closed by the OP, and to the best of my knowledge there's no way to quote a properly formatted post with the quote postid and whatnot attached correctly with one click right now, you have to either reconstruct it manually or just get a life and not do that. And obviously neither of those are good options.

I don’t think there’s a way for the app to get the raw bbcode of a post in a closed thread.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
So I accidentally swiped right from my bookmarks, which took me to my "favorites," except I don't have any favorites set, so it's a blank page. That's fine. But then, when I try to navigate back to the forums by selecting "The SA Forums" link in the side menu, it keeps bringing me back to my blank favorites page. Can't get back to just the general forums. It's bookmarks or nothing.

Closing and reopening did not fix it. Had to uninstall and reinstall. Obviously I'm going to try to never accidentally swipe to that page again, but is there something I was missing?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You can filter subforums to the ones you have favorited (even if none) by tapping the star in the top right and you can also undo that by tapping the star again. You're not the first to not find that very discoverable though.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Ahh I thought the star was just an indicator for what page I was on, not a button itself. Thanks!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

So after some investigation, it seems like Imgur has removed the endpoint to upload images as a user (if you care, before | after). That is the endpoint we changed to after they announced they would start deleting images not tied to accounts after ????? time.

I'm leaving the functionality in for now because it might be a mistake and could start working again any second now, and I've also sent in a support ticket requesting clarification that I expect to be ignored.

As we're not going to switch back to the previous method, it's possible imgur uploads will go away.

In the meantime maybe throw Jeffrey some :10bux: for platinum and then upload images as attachments. Yes, I know it's less convenient.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Well that sucks, thanks for investigating though

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Gotta love enshittification! Hope the investors are happy that number will go up.

Diabolik900 posted:

I don’t think there’s a way for the app to get the raw bbcode of a post in a closed thread.

You know, I didn't even think about that. Drat.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Wow that sucks. Ok we desperately need that upgraded forums attachment system now

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Can't say I'm surprised. I expect Imgur's dumbass new owners to announce accounts being used for some lovely crypto thing (I know, redundant), but if you subscribe, you get a small amount of control over it, and/or some kind of AI thing, any day now.

Ah well. Still happy to have this app for the insanely low price of free. Thanks for everything!

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 24, 2024

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
drat. Can't say I'm surprised though. They took an app that functioned perfectly and turned it into a hosed up mess of itself. I still rarely use the app because for some reason the screen sensitivity is set to "first degree burn victim" and the videos play at a whopping 4 fps now.

Still love this app though.

Maybe give the option for thumbnailing an attachment, oh wise and generous mods/admins/spooky spirits who maintain this dead gay forum?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ugh, that sucks. It really feels like imgur would prefer to just be its own environment where everyone goes to comment and vote on each other's pictures, rather than being useful to the rest of the internet.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ugh, that sucks. It really feels like imgur would prefer to just be its own environment where everyone goes to comment and vote on each other's pictures, rather than being useful to the rest of the internet.

Ironically, the new owners are hoping to become the next Reddit*, though that may have changed after Ol' Musky bought Twitter… They might want to be the next X…

*Ironic, because Imgur was originally created as an image host for Reddit.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Sereri posted:

As we're not going to switch back to the previous method, it's possible imgur uploads will go away.

this is dumb just revert the change if the old method still works

eventually we'll have awfulimg but the admins in the SOTF thread have said they'll keep scraping newer imgur posts anyways so there's no downside to just fixing the app to do what it used to

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Sereri posted:

In the meantime maybe throw Jeffrey some :10bux: for platinum and then upload images as attachments. Yes, I know it's less convenient.

I've never used this. Guess it's time to learn.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Uthor posted:

I've never used this. Guess it's time to learn.

It has 2000's era size limits on attachments that is the issue, not the ten bucks

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

this is dumb just revert the change if the old method still works

eventually we'll have awfulimg but the admins in the SOTF thread have said they'll keep scraping newer imgur posts anyways so there's no downside to just fixing the app to do what it used to

Agreed. Hide it behind a setting that says "I know I'm risking my pictures" if you have to, but it's better than not being able to post images at all

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Wendigee posted:

It has 2000's era size limits on attachments that is the issue, not the ten bucks

Not being able to decide where it will show up in my post bothered me. Even editing the post, it doesn't show up. So I'm assuming it just at the end of the post? It'd be an issue where I often use images, like using them to tell a story.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Uthor posted:

Not being able to decide where it will show up in my post bothered me. Even editing the post, it doesn't show up. So I'm assuming it just at the end of the post? It'd be an issue where I often use images, like using them to tell a story.

Yeah, it's functionally useless for me for those two reasons. Fine for some random one-off pictures, but not bigger things like posting comics or larger photoshops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Uthor posted:

Yeah I think you maybe can't delete them, and would have to pm a mod lol