Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

This one has been around a while and I forget to report every time:

When selecting a block of text in a reply, if I have the cursor at the bottom of the block and then shift+upcursor with my hardware keyboard (droid 3) to select the block, then apply a format from the menu, the opening tag is at the bottom of the selected text and the closing tag is near, but not at, the top of the selected text.

Example:

Tex[/b]t text text.
Text text text.
The cursor was at the end of this line when I started.[b]

EDIT: I selected from the end of the third example line to the beginning of the first one - as you can see, the closing tag appeared 3 characters in from the start of the selected block. I believe that has been consistent too.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Since the update from Betamax I've had a recurring problem. It seems to occur only in threads with lots of long posts, like grognards.txt, FATAL and Friends and rarely the Sequester/Shutdown thread. It usually only occurs in portrait mode, but sometimes it also happens in landscape. If it occurs in portrait mode and I move the phone to landscape the problem goes away as long as I stay in landscape, but it comes back if I reorient to portrait. The text from some or all of the thread seems to be recreated, but squeezed into a half-screen column on the left that floats over the properly displayed thread. If I'm actively scrolling the floating text "flashes" in and out of view, though it is mostly invisible. When I stop it reappears.

Here's a screenshot of the problem:

I took another screenshot in roughly the same spot just a second after, where I scrolled a bit so the problem went away, and then quickly took the picture. Before the UI indication that the screenshot was taken flashed, the problem came back, but it seems the screenshot was still from before that.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

My experience with Awful has been pretty much flawless, but is there a setting that controls where you "land" when you select next/previous page while viewing a forum? On my phone, it seems to remember where I was - if I scroll to the bottom of page 1 of GBS and hit 'next page', it loads page 2 but starts me at the bottom of page 2 rather than the top.
I suspect I've missed something and/or am just doing it wrong, but other than that, stuff is great.

clay_
Apr 2, 2013
The only issues I've had thus far with the app is that occasionally the scroll to refresh/scroll to load next page functions occasionally gently caress up and don't work. There's the button less than a millimeter from my finger anyways, so I don't really mind. The new design looks good and this app is good. I dunno how interested you are in defining a separate template for FYAD so that users can get a similar experience on mobile as they would on the forums (ala Awful iOS), or if there's some serious CSS hackery that can be done that I'm not good enough to figure out...

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Plague of Hats posted:

Since the update from Betamax I've had a recurring problem. It seems to occur only in threads with lots of long posts, like grognards.txt, FATAL and Friends and rarely the Sequester/Shutdown thread. It usually only occurs in portrait mode, but sometimes it also happens in landscape. If it occurs in portrait mode and I move the phone to landscape the problem goes away as long as I stay in landscape, but it comes back if I reorient to portrait. The text from some or all of the thread seems to be recreated, but squeezed into a half-screen column on the left that floats over the properly displayed thread. If I'm actively scrolling the floating text "flashes" in and out of view, though it is mostly invisible. When I stop it reappears.

Here's a screenshot of the problem:

I took another screenshot in roughly the same spot just a second after, where I scrolled a bit so the problem went away, and then quickly took the picture. Before the UI indication that the screenshot was taken flashed, the problem came back, but it seems the screenshot was still from before that.
I suspect this might be a webview problem. Not sure though.

Crazy Achmed posted:

My experience with Awful has been pretty much flawless, but is there a setting that controls where you "land" when you select next/previous page while viewing a forum? On my phone, it seems to remember where I was - if I scroll to the bottom of page 1 of GBS and hit 'next page', it loads page 2 but starts me at the bottom of page 2 rather than the top.
I suspect I've missed something and/or am just doing it wrong, but other than that, stuff is great.
This is a known low priority issue (that no one has submitted on github yet :colbert:)

clay_ posted:

The only issues I've had thus far with the app is that occasionally the scroll to refresh/scroll to load next page functions occasionally gently caress up and don't work. There's the button less than a millimeter from my finger anyways, so I don't really mind. The new design looks good and this app is good. I dunno how interested you are in defining a separate template for FYAD so that users can get a similar experience on mobile as they would on the forums (ala Awful iOS), or if there's some serious CSS hackery that can be done that I'm not good enough to figure out...
Someone said they would try to make one, I don't remember who it was. It's mostly an :effort: on my part I guess.

bronin posted:

Whenever I make a post it won't redirect me to the last page but to an empty one and it will look something like this: 1604/835

So basically a page way ahead of the last one. It's only a minor inconvenience though.

Today I noticed another one: I can make posts with Umlauts in them no problem, but when I go back and edit my post they will get hosed up and look like this: Motörhead

Weird, I thought I fixed the umlaut thing. I guess not.

Taffer posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble with spoilers, most if the time when I tap on then they don't reveal. A lot of the time they'll flash blue momentarily (dark theme), but still not reveal. I'm trying to read a CD thread and I'm not able to see like half of it. :(

E: may only be on, my GNex, doesn't seem to be happening on my N7 yet.
Probably another gif thing. I guess I should add this to the OP or something but:

:siren:Before reporting bugs that occur in the thread view, please check if the problem persists when gif animation is enabled:siren:

clay_
Apr 2, 2013

Sereri posted:

Someone said they would try to make one, I don't remember who it was. It's mostly an :effort: on my part I guess.

Was me. I have a CSS sheet that matches the color scheme and everything fairly well, but I'm not good enough at CSS to get the speech bubbles.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The SAclopedia doesn't work in the app, maybe this is already known? Just found out today after trying to follow a link in the quotes thread.

Unrelated: when longpressing a link in a post (like CNN.com/newsstory) it gives you the option to share the URL but it then just shares the thread URL.

Edit:

The second issue was before this last update. Not sure about the first one. Also I should really reiterate my thanks for the dev team :glomp:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Totally TWISTED posted:

The SAclopedia doesn't work in the app, maybe this is already known? Just found out today after trying to follow a link in the quotes thread.

Unrelated: when longpressing a link in a post (like CNN.com/newsstory) it gives you the option to share the URL but it then just shares the thread URL.

Edit:

The second issue was before this last update. Not sure about the first one. Also I should really reiterate my thanks for the dev team :glomp:

Sereri, in the very first post of this thread posted:

Things the app does not (yet):
- Allow you to create threads
- Show user profiles
- Leper's colony / see probation reasons
- Display polls
- SAclopedia
- Search
and lots more
Also, you don't have to longpress links.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You do if you want to copy them directly instead of going to them.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Geirskogul posted:

You do if you want to copy them directly instead of going to them.
On the current release they pop up a menu on a tap. If you don't see that you can reset the default behaviour in the app's settings.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Tunga posted:

On the current release they pop up a menu on a tap. If you don't see that you can reset the default behaviour in the app's settings.

For the first time, then I set it to "always open links." But every now and again I don't want to open it, I want to copy it. Having to go into the app settings on the device and reset it every time is a PITA.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

ArcMage posted:

Alright, I've finished dicking with this thing. Here it is for anyone who wants a slightly more colorful version of spanky's dark theme.

Full credit to spanky for his edited dark.css, and free use to anyone.

Theme here.

Classy goon's classy modification of classy theme of other classy goon is classy. Phone no longer acting like a lighthouse is also a plus.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

For the first time, then I set it to "always open links." But every now and again I don't want to open it, I want to copy it. Having to go into the app settings on the device and reset it every time is a PITA.

Yea, I would prefer to have long-press for that menu. I looked into implementing long-press, but at the time it required a really nasty hack. That was a long while ago, so I'll take another look.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Salvador Dalvik posted:

I looked into implementing long-press, but at the time it required a really nasty hack.

Seriously?

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

pokeyman posted:

Seriously?

Best solution I found was to enable and override the browser's built in context menu function, do a hit-test then sort through and figure it out based on what was selected.

Honestly, it seemed more intimidating at the time, but now I'm looking through someone else's implementation it really isn't so bad.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Salvador Dalvik posted:

Best solution I found was to enable and override the browser's built in context menu function, do a hit-test then sort through and figure it out based on what was selected.

Honestly, it seemed more intimidating at the time, but now I'm looking through someone else's implementation it really isn't so bad.

I've certainly done worse to a web view in service of Excellent Forums Presentation. Carry on.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

ArcMage posted:

Alright, I've finished dicking with this thing. Here it is for anyone who wants a slightly more colorful version of spanky's dark theme.

Full credit to spanky for his edited dark.css, and free use to anyone.

Theme here.

Screenshot:

May you have joy of it.
:shobon:

E, f: Twice, it wrapped url tags around urls inside of other tags, resulting in incorrect behaviour of a timg and a url with text other than the link itself. Dunno if that can be helped.

How do I install this?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

MasterSlowPoke posted:

How do I install this?

Make an "awful" directory in your internal storage and save it there. Has to be lowercase. Then go to the theme settings in the Awful app and go hog wild.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I don't know if anything's changed recently but gif animations are slow and choppy for me; I have to open them in a browser for them to display properly.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Would it be possible for the forum view to glow when you pick a forum/subforum/thread to view? Just a little glow when you press it - it already does it when you're looking in bookmarks for example. Is this because thread view uses webview and bookmarks uses listview or something like that?

It would make the app look and feel much better IMO.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

A while ago someone in this thread mentioned something about being able to underclock on a per app basis, and making it work well for awful (then betamax) I've recently gotten my HTC One X back from repair and should now be able to do that, I think.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
I've been using the app for the better part of this year and I really like the improvements in that time.
I have a bit if a problem though. I clicked a link to a post in the the hidden TERROR DOME forum and now it spears at the top of forums list. How can I remove it from the forum list? On a nexus 4 if that matters.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

MediumWellDone posted:

I've been using the app for the better part of this year and I really like the improvements in that time.
I have a bit if a problem though. I clicked a link to a post in the the hidden TERROR DOME forum and now it spears at the top of forums list. How can I remove it from the forum list? On a nexus 4 if that matters.

It'll clear itself after a few days or if you manually clear the data. I'm investigating a forum-parsing method that would be more robust, but for now this is the best we have.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

Salvador Dalvik posted:

It'll clear itself after a few days or if you manually clear the data. I'm investigating a forum-parsing method that would be more robust, but for now this is the best we have.

Okay. Thank you.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Glad anyone likes my awful css. :shobon:

I have a tentative feature suggestion; if the app can read charging state, can it reenable gif animation when charging?

Using the app on power may not be super common, but it'd be nice if it did this.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm having issues opening this thread in the app: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3488991

The thread used to work but no more, when I open it I get the loading bars which appear, fill up and then disappear quickly, and the screen remains white.

I've cleared the apps data but it didn't help.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

spankmeister posted:

I'm having issues opening this thread in the app: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3488991

The thread used to work but no more, when I open it I get the loading bars which appear, fill up and then disappear quickly, and the screen remains white.

I can't even open it on my desktop Chrome, and I have archive access etc.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ArcMage posted:

Using the app on power may not be super common, but it'd be nice if it did this.

As a Gnex owner on VZW, I pretty much live plugged in. I don't think I'd use the feature (I just don't frequent gif heavy threads), but I think it's a good idea.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

spankmeister posted:

You won't be able to view that thread unless you're a mod or admin.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Huh guess I should have checked on my desktop. I was reading that thread from the bginning and had about 3000 posts to go. Guess some drama happened or whatever.

In any case that clears things up. :)

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
This app is fantastic and I really appreciate what it does, but one feature I wish it had was a way to disable swipes for page navigation. I can't use the app one-handed because at least 50-75% of the times that I'm trying to scroll down the page, it thinks I want to go to the previous page. I've tried being meticulous about only swiping vertically but it still wants to go back a page. I may just be a clumsy oaf.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Papercut posted:

This app is fantastic and I really appreciate what it does, but one feature I wish it had was a way to disable swipes for page navigation. I can't use the app one-handed because at least 50-75% of the times that I'm trying to scroll down the page, it thinks I want to go to the previous page. I've tried being meticulous about only swiping vertically but it still wants to go back a page. I may just be a clumsy oaf.
Boy have I got news for you!

Try the "lock scrolling" option in the settings.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

spankmeister posted:

Boy have I got news for you!

Try the "lock scrolling" option in the settings.

I got excited when I first saw that option too, but it doesn't actually fix the functionality I'm talking about. All it seems to do is make it so you can't swipe from a thread back up into the thread list. It doesn't make it so you can't swipe between pages within a thread.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Papercut posted:

In no spot will swiping make you go back a page. You might be triggering the pull-to-refresh/pull-for-next. However neither of those will cause the app to go to the previous page of the thread.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Sereri posted:

In no spot will swiping make you go back a page. You might be triggering the pull-to-refresh/pull-for-next. However neither of those will cause the app to go to the previous page of the thread.

E: Clumsy oaf confirmed, I think the base of my thumb was getting close enough to the back button to activate it. :blush:

Papercut fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 23, 2013

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Papercut posted:

E: Clumsy oaf confirmed, I think the base of my thumb was getting close enough to the back button to activate it. :blush:

This happens to me constantly, except it's the ball of my hand.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Heresiarch posted:

This happens to me constantly, except it's the ball of my hand.
Me too but I can't think of a place to put the button where it would make sense, look good, and not have the same problem.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Not really a bug, just an observance. Using my note 2 I have to pull down almost the entire length of the screen to get the app to refresh. Is there a setting that lets me adjust the pull to refresh length, or am I just being a whiney man-baby and need to deal?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Wizard of Smart posted:

Not really a bug, just an observance. Using my note 2 I have to pull down almost the entire length of the screen to get the app to refresh. Is there a setting that lets me adjust the pull to refresh length, or am I just being a whiney man-baby and need to deal?

Something like 2/3 of my screen, which I think is the intended fraction, it's just miles on this particular device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

ArcMage posted:

Something like 2/3 of my screen, which I think is the intended fraction, it's just miles on this particular device.

Exactly. I mean, I understand why it would be a lengthy pull - who wants to accidentally refresh while trying to scroll? - but on this phone it really sucks.