Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I just noticed the bookmarks in this screenshot, and I like it very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Sereri posted:

Gifs in avatars and (basically all) emoticons are replaced with on-the-fly generated static versions. Since the app has to wait for the image to be loaded this only works well for those small images.

I guess the ridiculously small file size limit for avatars is finally paying off.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Even if it doesn't, hopefully the CSS marquee properties will come to the rescue!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It's not officially launched, for whatever that's worth, but the new search is still up: http://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

This happened: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3510131&perpage=40&pagenumber=216#post458476550

Edit: wrong link

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

WienerDog posted:

The app is crashing on me when I load the following thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775957

Obviously it's a bit image heavy, but it's not crazy big gifs or anything. LG G3 w/ official 6.0 Marshmallow update.

I can't help you, but thanks for the link to that thread. It's actually just proven very useful.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

For what it's worth, someone reported the exact same issue in the iOS app a few days ago, so maybe it's actually a weird forums bug?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

fishmech posted:

I just think it'd be kinda cool to be able to use the grenade logo that's like, the official site brand. Even though it would totally look more suspicious.

There was a really lovely iPhone app back in like 2010 that used the grenade as its icon and charged money, and Lowtax banned the guy who made it. It was never clear whether the ban was for using the grenade, charging money for a forums app, or both. I have no idea if this is why the android devs don't use the grenade nowadays, but it scared people off of using the grenade in an app icon for a long time.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It’s been a while since I looked at this closely, but as best I can remember, avatars, gang tags, and custom titles are all just a big block of arbitrary html as far as any third-party app can tell. For example, there’s literally no way to distinguish between someone having a gang tag with no avatar and an avatar with no gang tag from the html alone. They both just show up as a single image.

That doesn’t explain the specifics of whatever’s going on with that user, but it’s not at all surprising that weird cases like that will come up any time an app tries to do anything with that chunk of the page other than display it exactly the same way it appears on the website.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

xtal posted:

Doesn't that create a lot of security issues?

When I say that it’s arbitrary html, I mean that it’s not structured or formatted in a way that the individual components can be identified by a parser with 100% accuracy. The real security risk is if SA itself lets users write arbitrary html, which I don’t think is the case (but I haven’t looked at it in ages). It’s not really any riskier than the way posts themselves are rendered.

(Disclaimer here that I’m not a security expert and I don’t even own an Android phone. My knowledge of this stuff is entirely based on my experience as a web developer and some contributions I’ve made to the iOS app, but for the stuff I’m talking about here, I believe the apps conceptually work the same way.)

Edit: oh yeah, if what’s happening here is that that user tried to manually enter an img tag and the website rendered it as text but the app displayed the image, that is a potential security issue. I have no idea if that’s what happened here or not though.

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 27, 2020

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

hooah posted:

Huh, so it is. Has it been there a while? I feel like I've been using the various browser extensions to get that functionality for years, so maybe I missed when it became a part of the default forums.

Pretty sure that’s been there as long as I’ve had an account. I think it’s even on by default, but I could be wrong. It’s hard to remember what the defaults are after this many years.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Judgy Fucker posted:

I used to be able to embed photos from my phone (iPhone 14 pro), but the app won't let me anymore--when I click [img] it adds the [url=][/url] tags. Any ideas?

You want this thread. Short version of why is in the thread title. Just read the last few pages for more than enough arguments about the issue.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It’s a good idea, and probably not technically impossible, but I think it would require the app to download and parse every page of the thread at once. Given that threads can be thousands of pages long, it would probably be slow and use a lot of data. I would think it’s probably better off as a suggestion for the forums themselves, not the app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

kastein posted:

Is there any chance that the "quote post" button on the ... Menu on posts in closed threads could be replaced by a "quote post to clipboard" function that works the same re: appending multi quotes? (The multi quote thing is not anywhere near as important, I can't think of one time I've needed it but I'm sure it'll happen eventually)

I occasionally find myself wanting to start a new thread to continue discussing something from a closed thread with a quoted post for context/breadcrumbs back to the old thread, for example a chat thread or a new megathread when the old one was already closed by the OP, and to the best of my knowledge there's no way to quote a properly formatted post with the quote postid and whatnot attached correctly with one click right now, you have to either reconstruct it manually or just get a life and not do that. And obviously neither of those are good options.

I don’t think there’s a way for the app to get the raw bbcode of a post in a closed thread.