Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
Loving the new card style layout, makes it really easy to read. Couple of issues though.

It seems pull to refresh on bookmarks screen is disabled now? Any particular reason? I used that a lot in betamax.

And when I refresh a thread I'm reading, it still shows posts I've just read as new posts, and I have to scroll down to find where was the post I was at when I refreshed. If that makes sense. Maybe I'm missing something and this behaviour is intentional as well? But I have never noticed it in Betamax or a browser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

nimper posted:

It's a known bug. The pull to refresh code still thinks you're in thread view so watches for the pull event at the bottom of the bookmarks list. Try it! (It's allegedly fixed in the next version)

Good to hear. Interestingly enough, when I swiped back to bookmarks after initially reading the quoted post, P2R worked as intended.
And another thread I was reading just now didn't exhibit the other issue I mentioned in my first post, but I know I experienced it while reading the MLB gameday thread yesterday.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
HTC One (1080 x 1920)

e: Awful Scratching sounds like a terrible app.

WienerDog fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 1, 2013

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

numbs posted:

Just out of curiosity, why can't we start threads in the app?

It was decided that high quality OP's couldn't / wouldn't be created on mobile. That said, your phone has a web browser, so go nuts there.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
The new app seems nice, but I've been using Betamax for so long and I'm terrified of change so I dunno. So far I'm missing swipe back to bookmarks.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

nimper posted:

It's still there, but you have to swipe from the very left edge.

Ah, so it is. Maybe it's my phone's case but I can only get it to work reliably when I'm using two hands, but if I'm already committing two hands to the task of going back to bookmarks then it's just easier to use the <Back button in the top left corner that I can't reach with my right thumb.

edit: Playing around with it a little more confirms this new implementation of swipe-to-go-back is really lovely. I don't think it's the dev's fault because the same issue persists in the Gmail app, but maybe it can be adjusted to allow a larger "trigger zone?"

When holding the phone in my right hand it takes at least 3 swipes to hit the spot that will trigger a back swipe. I can get it to go every time if I hold the phone in my left hand and stab the side of the screen with my right hand's pointer finger and swipe over, but it's easier just to tap <Back at that point.

WienerDog fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 20, 2014

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

There looks like there was an update made for swiping just now located in the most recent post in its thread.

I thought this was its thread? :confused:

e: Oh, there's a link in that same post I read earlier. Sorry for making GBS threads up this thread. :downswords:

WienerDog fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 21, 2014

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
The app is crashing on me when I load the following thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775957

Obviously it's a bit image heavy, but it's not crazy big gifs or anything. LG G3 w/ official 6.0 Marshmallow update.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Sereri posted:

They might not be long gifs but they're giant jpgs, like 4000x3000 px in size. I get that the app should not just give up and die and I'll add it to the list of things that need fixing. However if you read image heavy threads like that one you might wanna consider the imgur thumbnail option in the settings.

Ahhh cool, I didn't know what that option was for. I set it to the "large" setting and it seems to let that thread load up, and should help with any other image heavy threads I want to read on mobile. Plus there's always Display Image and Open URL from the pop-up menu if I need to see the full res. Thanks.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Blue Train posted:

That setting isn't present on the fire. I am able to force gpu rendering through developer options but it doesn't make a difference

He means in the app, from the hamburger menu.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

spankmeister posted:

It does, thanks.

Am I misremembering it being a widget in the old version? Because it's a shortcut now but I remember adding it as a widget originally.

There is still a Bookmarks widget.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I do a lot of moving via bookmarks but I know a few goons and all of them must be weird like me because they do about an equal amount of time going to a subforum to scan for new & interesting threads. If we're all out of the norm it wouldn't really surprise me, but on the other hand it kind of would? I mean it's not my time and effort so it's neither here nor there, I just find it strange.

For what it's worth, I live outta my bookmarks, as well as two or three specific sub forums. The feature in the other android app that lets you "pin" sub forums to the top of the list was awesome, and I'd be tickled to see it here too.

That said everything else about this app owns and I continue to appreciate all the time and effort put forward by everyone who creates, updates, and maintains it. :love:

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
I just realized my three dots doesn't work either.

LG G5 Plus
Awful ver. 3.6.1
Not flashed or rooted, Official Android 8.1.0
Chrome is ver. 70.0.3538
No alternative theme. font size 16, 40 posts per page.
Expanding works.

I tried pressing on, and all around the three dots, but nothing shows up.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Sereri posted:

Just tested this on my old G5+ and it works.

I can make it not work by pressing at a second location while pressing the ⋮ or if I press it too long.

Current version of Chrome is 71 btw, but it shouldn't matter since the require thing was added in like 65 in march or something.

I read this post, tried to tap the three dots and it still didn't work.
Then I updated Chrome, and now it works.

Thanks, this app always was, and remains, Awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Goons Are Great posted:

There's a weird thing happening in my app, where the button on the top right of every post (the menu for quote/edit/posts by this guy etc.) does not function at all. The app does not react to any tapping of it, while everything else works completely fine. I had the same issue like two months ago already but for some reason it later just worked again after I fiddled around with some theme setting (can' remember which though), but this time it appears to be stuck no matter what i try to change.
Interestingly, neither rebooting nor even reinstalling the entire app fixed this in any way, so I am wondering if this is something the app is doing, or if my phone has gone crazy.

I once had the same issue, and the solution was to update my Chrome app.