Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Any reason why, since I used the 'go to the awful app thread' once yesterday, it's loading this thread by default when I pull the app up again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'd love to have access to the SAclopedia from the app :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sereri posted:

Well there's always this

It's from the guy that does various Windows and Windows Phone Awfuls.

Well, that's awesome. Thanks!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, I have no complaints, thank you a ton for allowing a dark mode, since I generally prefer that for all my apps. :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Any specific reason (maybe somewhere in the settings, that I missed) why I can never see attached images? I can see posted imaged (and gifs are the grey 'gif' pic, so as not to use too much battery, which is fine), but actual 'attached' images appear as small, blank squares, and clicking on one opens my browser to log into the forums.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Small thing: when in landscape mode, I can't pull down far enough for the refresh to kick in. The little circle appears, but by the time my thumb is at the bottom of my screen, it's not enough. Portrait mode (and just hitting the refresh button) works fine, though.

Lollipop 5.1 running on a Nexus 4.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

You can adjust the pull to refresh distance (percent of screen) in the settings. I had to do the same thing for my tablet. 25% works pretty well.

Ah, thanks! I had no idea this was even an option.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Loezi posted:

Nexus 5, Android 5.1

I can't get rid of the FAB. I tried toggling the setting on and off but it does nothing.

Also, the wording "No FAB in the thread view: Y/N" is really bad and you should probably change it to something easier to parse. Selecting "Yes" to set the state of something to "no I dont't want to see this" is just asking for confusion.

site posted:

That's the new FAB (whatever that means) post button

E: it can be disabled in Device and Navigation

Just to be clear, at least on Lollipop 5.1 on a Nexus 4, you need to actually close the app and reopen it for that option to actually change; simply going into the settings and changing it didn't actually do anything.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just want to say thank you for fixing the bug(?) that was caused when you went to the next page in a forum or your bookmark list; if you had scrolled to the bottom of a page and hit next, you'd start at the bottom of the next page. Small gripe, but I'm glad it doesn't do this anymore.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

notZaar posted:

Every time I load up the app I get the "loading failed" pop-up. Not a big deal but it's consistent.

Yeah, me too. Nexus 4, latest version of Lollipop, if that helps.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I have only one wish for the app, but it probably wouldn't be considered an important thing. I'd love an indicator as to whether or not I have an unread PM, but just on the forums and/or bookmarks pages (in other words, not in thread view), checked every time there's a refresh.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Two things:

1) I just got a new G4 and sometimes when I load threads (this one just now, for example), it's just black until I refresh, then it all loads up like I've already read it. Really only a minor annoyance but thought I'd mention it.

2) On my old phone, I was able to put this app on my home screen and have it shortcut to 'Bookmarks'. Was that an Awful app feature, or was that something that the Nova launcher did? I'm no longer using the Nova launcher, because I think it caused my phone to freeze somewhat frequently.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

hooah posted:

The shortcut is dependent upon Awful. The launcher needs to have the ability to add shortcuts, which Nova can do. Dunno about other launchers.

Ah ok. drat, I actually loved that feature, but I think I'll be sticking with stock this time around.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

Look in the widgets section. Bookmarks is in there.

Oh man, thanks! :toot:

Any idea why threads load up blank until I refresh (my first issue)?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

7lip posted:

I actually came here to post the same thing, same phone as well (and upgraded to android marshmallow).

I have never found it to happen on clicking new threads, but only when I return to a bookmarked (or maybe all "half read" threads) where I am starting midway through a page.

I've found a way to trigger it is, yes, what you've stated, but also making sure that I've cleared off Awful from my open apps list (or whatever that's called). Opening it up 'fresh' seems to cause this, as it never happens when it's on the recently opened/active list.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I have a feature request, maybe this would also be good for the forums overall, and not just the app.

The ability to see where a given post is quoted further in the thread.

I was just looking through my bookmarks and a few threads were hundreds and hundreds of posts beyond when I last checked them. Sometimes, in those threads, I will have asked a question. Like in those 'help me remember a book/game/movie' threads. I'll ask my question, follow the thread for probably two weeks, and then assume that no one is going to be able to answer it. But what if, later on they had?

With this feature, and I do realize it's niche, I'd tap the dots on the post, select something like 'Find quotes of this horrible post' and would then be brought to a newly generated page that has my original post at the top, and then every post that quoted it listed below, obviously in chronological order.

Would literally anyone else want that? Am I the only one? I assume it's entirely possible given that every post has a unique ID that's used in all quotes of that post, especially now with the ability to click the link in a quote to go to the original post. So I'd assume it'd just be a matter of the app scrubbing the thread for any time that post ID shows up again. Not unlike how you can see all the posts from a given user, or yourself, in a thread.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 31, 2024

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

astral posted:

When the forum search is overhauled, I'd like to add support for quoting:[specific post id].

Ooh, that's a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I was going to suggest making it so searching on your username would also search '[username] posted:' titles of quotes, as a stopgap solution.

Yezy, this please.