Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

This is a native client for browsing/posting on the forums from an Android phone or tablet.

:siren:Screenshots:siren:

:siren::siren:Install it today!:siren::siren:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ferg.awfulapp

What is this Android nonsense? Will this work on my iPhone?
I think you're looking for this, or maybe even this.

Kindle Fire user?
Grab Awful here: https://www.amazon.com/Awful-LLC/dp/B01LWMSR61/

:siren:Developer/designer? Contribute!:siren: (Seriously though, please do)
https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk
Development thread

Things the app does:
- Browse the forums
- Browse your bookmarks
- Quote and post replies on a thread
- Rate, bookmark and share threads
- Receive and send PMs (plat only)
- Report terrible posts like this one (plat only)
- Search (plat only)
- Leper's colony / see probation reasons
and lots more

Things the app does not (yet):
- Allow you to create threads
- Show user profiles
- Display polls
- SAclopedia
and lots more

Is it stealing my credentials?
Nope. The app simply stores the authentication cookies you use to browse the site. We throw out your username and password as soon as you log in.

How can I help?
Dive in and fix a bug! Feature requests are always rolling in, so post it here if you have an idea or just throw us a pull request. And submit any bugs you find as issues yourself. Or you could help us this way:

I like to live dangerously, give me the latest stuff
Go here and become a tester

This beta is terrible and I want out
The beta link also let's you end your beta membership.

What is the best app to d
:frogout:

Contributors:
Ferg
baka kaba
big mean giraffe
brosmike
BullChicken
crazysim
foghorn
Geekner
Glimm
JingleBells
Sereri
spanky the dolphin
wmbest2

QR Code!

Previous thread

Sereri fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

:siren:FAQ::siren:

I intentionally flashed an unfinished developer preview of the next Android version to my phone and a thing broke
k

Does the app still support custom themes?
It does indeed though it works via CSS these days. If you've got a .css file of your choice, place it in /SDCARD/awful (case-sensitive). It should be selectable from the theme list in the app. If it is a dark theme make sure to name it {THEMENAME}.dark.css or it won't have dark threadlists.

popular themes:
Arc.dark.css by ArcMage

:siren: Warning :siren:
Custom css are not part of the app and might break with future changes. Please notify the author in this case.

I can't tell whether I'm in the beta or not
Either go to the OP and click the beta link to see if you are already a tester, or check the apps version in your phone's app settings:
Current version: 3.3.1
Current beta: 3.3.1
Current :airquote: stable :airquote: versions will usually end in a zero, while beta versions do not

Oh god there are terrifying, giant black boxes all over the thread!!
Disable Hardware Acceleration in the settings (under "Device and navigation")

This app has too many settings and features I don't need
Maybe you should try Something instead.

I don't want this floating action button!
You can disable the FAB under setting -> device & navigation

My phone looks like this:

Your phone provides incorrect values and is handled as a tablet by the app because of it.
Go to setting -> device & navigation and change the layout to phone

Sereri fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Apr 4, 2019

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The store page has been updated and the updated version has been pushed out. At what time both things actually hit the market though...

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Loucks posted:

I've used Awful for a longass time and really like it, but the upgrade screwed with the classic theme pretty badly:

I don't have an image, but the old version didn't have all that white (blue) space and the text spacing was better. Also the font itself was different as I recall. Maybe someone else has a screenshot, but the old version was a lot less ugly. This one just looks a hell of a lot more beta than it used to.

I dunno. It doesn't look fixable in settings, and I didn't think to export my settings because as far as I knew there was no reason to screw with the classic default.
Since everything concerning composing the thread view has been thrown out, the classic theme shares very little code with it's previous incarnation. It's more of an interpretation. That said, I'm sure we can make it more like before. Or better.

...! posted:

There doesn't seem to be a way to set font/background colors anymore. Is there an option I'm missing?
Fonts yes, background colors only through theme.

swarthmeister posted:

Just updated to the new version, it's great but I'm missing the granular theme customization options of the old version. I assume the CSS is tweakable by editing a file or creating a new one. Works? Worth it? Also, is AmberPOS theme supposed to lock in the terminal font regardless of your selected default?

Everything about Awful Betamax is booyah-worthy, great job.

hey santa baby posted:

There are the css files that define the current layout (here: https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk/tree/master/application/assets/css). However, modifying them on the phone is a royal pain in the rear end, so it would be totally rad if the html that the app actually displays was available somewhere for testing purposes. The browser version of the html seems to be different -- i.e. if I use the browser version of the forums html here: http://cssdesk.com/, and try to use one of the css files, it doesn't display like in the app.

So, does a test html file that has all the relevant elements exist somewhere?

gmq posted:

Wow, it's crazy fast now.

An easier way to test custom css would be nice though, maybe an example thread page html hosted somewhere?
I was gonna write a guide for the css today and that's a great idea. I'm not sure about the font, I'll take a look.

404notfound posted:

After pulling to refresh, the progress bar overlaps the usual loading bar, and it looks really weird (you can see a pixel-wide gap between the two at the top).
I knew there was something else I wanted to fix before pushing it out. Oh well it doesn't break anything at least.

Roundboy posted:

ack my themes!

Love the speed but I would love the dark theme to have its black background :/
I suspect such a theme will exist soon.

Jethro posted:

I wish I had joined the beta program, because I kinda hate the new pull-to-refresh/next. Maybe I just need to give it some time, but it doesn't give clear enough feedback, gives that feedback away from where I'm looking, doesn't override scrolling if I decide to un-pull to not refresh, and just seems fiddly. It's no longer pull-to-refresh, it's swipe-kinda-like-you're-pulling-to-maybe-refresh-or-go-to-the-next-page-but-we're-calling-that-refresh-too.

The rest of the changes look pretty nice, though.

Geirskogul posted:

On a ten inch tablet (I'm on a note 10.1) you have to swipe your finger like seven inches up the screen to trigger a refresh in portrait, which is way too much. Can't be done with a thumb like before.
P2R needs you to clear half the screen before it's armed and you need to let it go before it reloads. I guess the half screen might be a bit much on tablets, I'll see if I can reduce it to 30% there.

Mercury Hat posted:

Galaxy s3 with android 4.1.1 and my only problem is the thread ratings are a big black rectangle. I cleared the cache but it stayed the same.
Yeah that's not normal. I kinda want you to make a screenshot even though I can picture how it looks.

anthonypants posted:

Just updated to the latest Market version, and noticed a bug from the earlier beta (I forgot to report it :sweatdrop: ) is still around. On the Bookmarks page, when you mark a thread unread, it throws an error and tells you to check your network connectivity. If you refresh the Bookmarks page, that thread is unread.
Is it possible that your connection was lovely and the acknowledging answer didn't get through. Works fine for me.

Heh :v:. I'll repeat my statement from last time: If there's a goon with an amazon dev account he's welcome to publish Awful there (as long as he keeps it up to date). But $99/year for the convenience of not downloading an apk from the OP is a bit much.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I know it sucks but try fully clearing the app and reinstalling. Isn't 4.1.2 out for the S3?

Jedit posted:

It's taking literally the entire length of the screen to get pull to refresh on my Galaxy S4. This is awkward and difficult on a phone with that large a screen.

Is that with the multi-view thing? In theory not even that should matter. Scroll distance is height of the view (so the actual content, not the screen) times 0.5 .
The 0.5 can be changed, I guess we could make it a slider like for the font size (though I'd rather not).

Also: If someone wants to help but cannot code, I'd love proposals on a better way to arrange the settings menus.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

-Anders posted:

I'd love to help out with the coding, but I can only do C# via Xamarin, I don't guess that's a likely avenue of approach.

C# isn't that far from Java and looking at Xamarin tutorals, it seems to use the Android layout system. Maybe take a look at the repository and see how much you can figure out. :)

/e:

404notfound posted:

Haven't figured out a pattern yet, but sometimes when I go to the bookmarks page through the app's widget shortcut, pull to refresh doesn't work. Dragging down on the list does not show the pull prompt.
Got this on my tablet this morning, it's when you leave the app on the thread view, it gets closed in the background and you reenter via the bookmarks shortcut. The P2R is still set to pull from bottom at that point. It's fixed now.

I also fixed 2 crashes, 'POS font bug and the double loading bar

Sereri fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 25, 2013

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Oh look it's another wall of text

LastInLine posted:

How open are you to using on/off toggle with the title leading to the options (like Wi-Fi is in AOSP settings, for instance)? I know you said it targeted too high of an API but it changes how you'd structure the settings so I need to know.

Checkbox and Switch preferences are the same thing differently styled. Use them if you want but they'll be Checkboxes <ICS.

Cuntpunch posted:

1. If you are not on the final page of a thread and pull down to go to the next page, the bar at the top still reads "Release to Refresh" rather than whatever it used to say about the next page

2. Using the icon to go back no longer remembers if you accessed the thread through your bookmarks rather than the forums, it always takes you to the thread's back to the thread's forum. However if you swipe back it does seem to remember whether you came via bookmarks

1. I'm looking to solve that, its just a bit complex and didn't have priority because its just cosmetic.
2. As the others have said, this is the correct behavior and how it was supposed to work for at least like a year and a half. I don't know if it was you but I remember someone writing the same thing during the beta.

Kibner posted:

I'd also like to agree with the others saying P4N takes too much scrolling on phones. I would like to see it at 35%. I use a DROID 3.

anthonypants posted:

Instead of making it a percentage of the screen size, could you make it like an inch or two and expand that based on whatever the vertical resolution is?
This is probably going to be a slider with presets at .5 for phones and .3 for tablets.

Using this market image, the long red line is the part that actually matters for the P2R, the rest doesn't really exist as far as it's concerned. Now by default you need to cover half of that to trigger it. It doesn't matter where you start as long as you cover the distance of half that red bar (also indicated by red bars because I'm a genius). The problem is that if you make it too small you'll accidentally trigger it all the time when scrolling. You make it too big you'll run out of webview and the P2R stops.

nexus6 posted:

Why on earth do you pull from the bottom to load the next page but the only visual indication that you are doing anything is at the top?
Because the library didn't have PfB at all (because of that very reason actually) and I hacked it in. The alternative is basically not having it at all. Which you can do, there's an option for that.

nexus6 posted:

Also, I have problems with animated GIFs not animating, even SA smilies. Disable gif animation is off.

HTC One S btw.

Also, just now when I posted this it tried to load page 10/5 instead of taking me to my reply.
I'll look into that (the first thing, second sounds like a SD problem :v:)

clay_ posted:

Suggestion: Add support for two thread tags like in Awful iOS, that way SA Mart threads show whether it's a buying or selling thread. Plus it looks nice.

Edit: With everyone talking about square tags, I'd honestly like to see an option to enable/disable square tags. I really enjoy them personally, but obviously other people don't.

pokeyman posted:

Dev note: we have some little quarter-icon-size banners for buying/selling/auction/trade and ask/tell, before you go about making your own.
Square tags will either be in 3.1 or not, switching between them and the old ones is a bad idea for various reasons.

We're currently not parsing secondary tags at all but that's shouldn't be too hard. I've just looked at the 6 icons and I'm not a big fan of them to be honest. I guess they belong in the top left corner?

LastInLine and baka kaba: I've just skipped over your suggestions so far but I'll take a closer look tomorrow. Looks good so far.

Salvador Dalvik posted:

If you want to contribute, you can fork the project on Github and submit a pull request with any changes. You can always post bug reports or feature requests under the Issues section, that's the best place for us to keep track of them.

For the record, and I'm probably going to regret this, if you have a really minor change or contribution like a css file, you can put the file in your dropbox or a gist/pastebin/etc and pm them to me. Or make and issue and post it there. I'd rather have the contribution than not because of :effort:. Of course I'd prefer a pull-request.

hey santa baby posted:

Anybody got a screenshot so I can be properly outraged at this awful disgrace?

Sereri fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 26, 2013

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Aleph Null posted:

In threads with long posts, even without images, just walls of text, sometimes links, spoilers, and the little three dots won't work. Nothing happens when I tap them. I have tried clearing my cache.
I am on a Motorola Xoom tablet running stock Android 4.1.2.

Do you have gifs disabled? If so try it with that option turned off.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Jeoh posted:

Is there a way to turn off highlighting the OP? That'd make the YOSPOS theme perfect for my battery-saving needs.

There is now! (well for me, you'll get it soon). P2R distance option is working well so far.

Question to the "bottom P2R is terrible because feedback" people. Is that on phones or tablets?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I've compiled a zip for css testing.

Just drop your file into the css folder, press the button at the top and enter the .css file name (eg yospos.css).

It's probably best to test with a webkit browser like chrome or safari since that will get the closest results but I guess Firefox should be ok too.

Note that the img .avatarCorner tag will be removed by the end of the week and that colors on your screen will look different on your device

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Rasmussen posted:

What do the three loading or progress bars/meters represent? There's the wobbly circular one on the top right, the segmented quickly moving one above the thread title and then the third left to right bar below the thread title.

They represent laziness, :effort: and apathy

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

nimper posted:

I can confirm this. I tested the bug with the link to the CSS test zip.

The test page just looks like the app, there is almost no functionality besides the post info and menu extending.

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

I like the improvements you've made, but I think you broke long pressing on links. I can't copy them directly any more

anthonypants posted:

Just click on the link.

See in the Settings if "always open links" is active. I don't think that links have ever required a long press.

The Dark One posted:

A really slow-loading page seemed to break the CSS in the app until I killed it:

Internet Explorer posted:

This happened to me as well on a dark theme. Switched to a normal theme a day could see the text, but the formatting was still screwed up until I force closed the app.

I have hunch of why it is, but not how it happened. Did you follow any links to that or anything?

hey santa baby posted:

Thank you for this.

Also thanks for posting the square thread tag screenshot earlier. It looks like with the square tags there will be less space for the title text, so count me as a vote against. I remember pestering SD in his Geekner period to allow linewrap of thread titles so that one could see the full thread title in forums view (I think it was him), so this is to me a step backwards.

The thread items are 2 lines by default and can still be wrapped.
vs

superunknown posted:

Thank you for this!
Where on the phone do the edited .css files go?

create a folder "awful" on your sd card / internal memory

jiffynuts posted:

Liking the new update, but one small issue I've seen so far. On my Nexus 7 (v2) when I rotate the app into landscape mode the screen blanks out and I loose all the posts (or the forums if I'm at that level). Rotating it back only seems to fix it once in a while, most times it remains blank. I usually have to quit out and go back into the app to get things working again. Other than that, the new look and feel is great. :)

That should not be happening. Do you have any crazy roms installed?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

spanky the dolphin posted:

So I've been fiddling around today making a DarkSpank theme. It's looking cool but for some reason it only affects the view within threads. the bookmarks and forum views are all light grey like the classic theme for some reason. Any idea why that is?

Forum view theming isn't in yet, not sure how to do it well at the moment. You can apply the colors of the standard themes by calling your file myawesometheme.dark.css (or yospos, amberpos, classic), leaving it out defaults to, well, default.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

XIII posted:

Downloading this fails every time for me. I'm going to try it from my laptop.

Edit: fails there too

Use this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/250537/Awful/spanking_in_the.dark.css

I was hoping to get consistent colors for highlights but I guess yellow does look terrible on dark themes.

Now that you mention it, yes I think I was following a link from another thread in the Awful app.
Anything else? Still can't get the app to do it.

baka kaba posted:

If you're open to redoing the attractive new posts indicator so it's smaller (and less attractive), and use a slightly smaller font to make the lines shorter, you could probably save a bunch of vertical space, like zis

I only did the first two, just a janky moving around in Photoshop but you get the idea - icon on the left, then on the right you get the thread title up top and a line of info stuff below, sort of like it is right now! Really it's taking the space reserved for the unread posts marker and moving it to the other side for the thread tag.

The second thread has the text shrunk to 90% to fit longer lines in. The unread marker does fit but it might look better tweaked. If you're up for this kind of thing.
Not too happy about the unread counter.

Here's a look at where the icons come from

Oh well maybe I can make choosing old/new possible after all.

Sereri fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 27, 2013

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Turning off the 'always open links' option now gives me a popup with sharing / copying. I just figured you'd want to stay with the general 'one press to open, long press for copy / share options' design all apps have for links. I think the old awful betamax had that.

Long press in the thread view hasn't been a thing since OG Awful switched to the webview, so around 2 years.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Yeah it always ends up becoming a mucky vomity brown.

I noticed that with this theme the 3 vertical dots on each post are gone - it would probably have something to do with this file path in the css I'd imagine?:

ul.postoptions .more {
background-image:url(../images/ic_menu_more.png);
}

Yeah, I had to change those paths to make it work for the test page. The path on the phone is "file:///android_asset/images/".

The Dave posted:

That's so android of you! Us iOS types just make the change and say "deal with it our opinion is perfect! :) "

Honestly though stuff like cramming things together to save a line or two usually isn't worth it. Your users are going to scroll if they're interested in the list, having say 5 threads visible on load vs. 6 is not really that significant or worth hurting aesthetics.

I know with the iOS app it looks like we have less text available for thread titles. However:

1) I don't think anyone has ever missed out on what a thread is because of the truncated titled

2) if they ate interest in the full title text they can tap and hold on a title to get a pop up action sheet which does display the full title text.

3) I just think the squares fit our Mobil limited width better. It's a more pleasing design to me then show horning in more text around the tag.

4) Low res tags looked like poo poo the one build we tried them in on retina display devices.

You guys have it a bit easier to go deal with it. I mean I look at your settings menu and you guys have 7 options in it, 3 more in the thread view. We have an option to add a third way of going to the next page.

The variety of devices is another thing. The reason I would leave the old view in is that, because of the way I need to access the big tags, they take up more memory and in combination with the gif stopper (which you guys don't need because apples webkit handles gifs better-ish) crashes the app.

And I mean I just took out a very comfortable but terrible coded styling option.

The big tags will come and they will be the default version but there will be a fall-back.

I just checked and as of yesterday , 10% of our installs (by 5% of the users) were still on an obsolete release (now 2 versions behind instead of just 1). :negative:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

baka kaba posted:

Really minor thing I noticed, when you swipe left and right between the different views, it's super slick and smooth until you swipe back to the main forum list. There's this tiny glitch partway through that makes it catch. I looked at the logcat and I see this happening
code:
09-27 17:47:09.657: I/ForumsIndex(8424): Load Index Cursor
09-27 17:47:09.688: V/ForumsIndex(8424): Index cursor: 944
I can't profile it but I'm guessing this is what's causing it to pause? It's weird because swiping to a subforum view is completely smooth, the main forum view almost never changes but it has that stutter every time

I know exactly what you mean and what line is causing it, I just don't know if that line is important for something which is why I always let it be. If SD is reading this, it's the Loader in the ForumIndexFragment's onPageVisible().

Aphrodite posted:

I noticed an error in the Marvel Heroes thread that started after this guy posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=110569

After his first post here, text is all italic, quote doesn't work on other users, and you can't even click the menu button on his name

Since it's turning text italic I assume it has something to do with the <I in his title text.

He doesn't post very often, but I found another to test it and same deal here.

You're exactly right. What a weird bug. I'll try to think of something.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Possibly, what is 'this'?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

SlayVus posted:

Thread view and post view being side by side. I liked the previous version where categories and the thread view where their tile and post view was a separate tile.

That's not possible anymore since we broke those two into 2 different views, they were one combined before.

LastInLine posted:

Isn't the plan to eventually use the left side pullout menu for the forums listing? Obviously that's probably a ways from being implemented but it would solve the problem.

The problem is that we have a 3 level hierarchy. Even if you put the forums into a sidebar, you still got the threads and the thread view in the viewpager. And the use is virtually identical so you can just leave it where it is.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Cool, this worked. One question - spoilers with this theme are showing the white text through the greyed out spoiler block. The css appears to be telling the text to be invisible if you haven't pressed the spoiler tag. How do I fix this? Or would it be easier to just make the spoiler block white, the same as the text?

Yeah that's a bit weird. Apparently * doesn't work for elements without tags inside it (so text). Just change the background-color tag to white.

Aleph Null posted:

All images or just attachments? Regular images load fine on my Galaxy Nexus but attachments and emoticons are hit or miss.
And clearing data only temporarily fixes it.
If anything, you only need to clear the app's cache.

Mrit posted:

I also had this just happen, but it was on a Kindle which is flashed with CM10.2, so it just might be this crappy excuse for a tablet. It happened when my tablet slipped from my hand and went into tablet mode(I was in the regular mode) and I immediately tilted it back before it finished loading. Everything was blank, even through a refresh until I navigated back to the main forum view.
Ok, I'll give tilting while loading a try.

Geirskogul posted:

Also I can't get "pull for next page" to work, unless I'm an idiot of some sort.
If you pull to refresh when not on the last page, it will load the next page. The label is just wrong. I'm working on this but it had the same problems as the PfB and will appear in the other views in certain cases. Soon.

Khisanth Magus posted:

I did a good amount of browsing on my galaxy nexus tonight on WiFi, so the image problem I have seems to be limited to non-wifi, and seems to be most common when I'm on a 3g signal.

You don't have the 3g-images option on by any chance?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Sereri -

Actually, it just happened to me after replying to the thread. Is there anything I can do to help you troubleshoot it? I have a rooted Galaxy Nexus running stock. I think I can do whatever fancy logging is available.

If you could get a logcat of it happening, that would (probably) help a lot. If you're rooted, the simple alogcat app from the market should work. If not, use the adb from the Android SDK or this thing and do "adb logcat > /sdcard/logcat.txt"

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Khisanth Magus posted:

Just had a new problem with my galaxy nexus. For some reason the app stopped using any CSS for thread viewing and then wouldn't load threads at all until I cleared the app data.

As for the image problem, it continues to happen periodically, and the only image losing setting I can find is load images on WiFi only and that is not selected.

While I still haven't been able to recreate this, SD fixed this bug yesterday. It'll be in the next patch that'll be out very soon. Unless the Android fragment/activity lifecycle makes me want to kill myself first that is.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ah, I thought it was this:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I finally did what I wanted to do and pushed 3.0.1 out into beta and you'll get it as soon as google feels like it.

A bunch of different bugs were fixed. See if your bug is gone and if not, create an issue here.

Again, if creating an account in <30 seconds is too :effort: for you, use AnAwfulUser:thispasswordneeds1digit .

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

...! posted:

I had to switch back to Betamax today (the latest apk I could find is 2.4.3). This version just has way too many problems for me to deal with. At first I just didn't like the new UI but after using it for awhile, it seems like a lot of the core functionality is very broken. At first it was small things like tapping avatars not doing anything and then pull-to-refresh would randomly stop working and now, about half the time it tells me it couldn't load the page. :(

I plan to make a low-tech gif replacer over the weekend. I suspect this will solve like 70% of the problems people are having.

Sereri fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 3, 2013

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Sagacity posted:

Don't laugh, but I have just upgraded my Jiayu G3 to the latest MIUI rom based on Android 4.2.2. I realize this is a fairly esoteric combination, but most apps work without a flaw. The Awful app crashes on startup though, giving a NullReferenceException when it tries to launch the activity. It used to work on the same device with the stock Android 4.0.4 ROM.

I noticed in the code you use Bugsense, so maybe you're already right on top of things :) But is there a place where I can send any debug logging, or should I file a GitHub issue?

It's crashing the appcompat support library somehow. Definately the rom. I can pm you the stacktrace if you need it.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Plague of Hats posted:

Since the update from Betamax I've had a recurring problem. It seems to occur only in threads with lots of long posts, like grognards.txt, FATAL and Friends and rarely the Sequester/Shutdown thread. It usually only occurs in portrait mode, but sometimes it also happens in landscape. If it occurs in portrait mode and I move the phone to landscape the problem goes away as long as I stay in landscape, but it comes back if I reorient to portrait. The text from some or all of the thread seems to be recreated, but squeezed into a half-screen column on the left that floats over the properly displayed thread. If I'm actively scrolling the floating text "flashes" in and out of view, though it is mostly invisible. When I stop it reappears.

Here's a screenshot of the problem:

I took another screenshot in roughly the same spot just a second after, where I scrolled a bit so the problem went away, and then quickly took the picture. Before the UI indication that the screenshot was taken flashed, the problem came back, but it seems the screenshot was still from before that.
I suspect this might be a webview problem. Not sure though.

Crazy Achmed posted:

My experience with Awful has been pretty much flawless, but is there a setting that controls where you "land" when you select next/previous page while viewing a forum? On my phone, it seems to remember where I was - if I scroll to the bottom of page 1 of GBS and hit 'next page', it loads page 2 but starts me at the bottom of page 2 rather than the top.
I suspect I've missed something and/or am just doing it wrong, but other than that, stuff is great.
This is a known low priority issue (that no one has submitted on github yet :colbert:)

clay_ posted:

The only issues I've had thus far with the app is that occasionally the scroll to refresh/scroll to load next page functions occasionally gently caress up and don't work. There's the button less than a millimeter from my finger anyways, so I don't really mind. The new design looks good and this app is good. I dunno how interested you are in defining a separate template for FYAD so that users can get a similar experience on mobile as they would on the forums (ala Awful iOS), or if there's some serious CSS hackery that can be done that I'm not good enough to figure out...
Someone said they would try to make one, I don't remember who it was. It's mostly an :effort: on my part I guess.

bronin posted:

Whenever I make a post it won't redirect me to the last page but to an empty one and it will look something like this: 1604/835

So basically a page way ahead of the last one. It's only a minor inconvenience though.

Today I noticed another one: I can make posts with Umlauts in them no problem, but when I go back and edit my post they will get hosed up and look like this: Motörhead

Weird, I thought I fixed the umlaut thing. I guess not.

Taffer posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble with spoilers, most if the time when I tap on then they don't reveal. A lot of the time they'll flash blue momentarily (dark theme), but still not reveal. I'm trying to read a CD thread and I'm not able to see like half of it. :(

E: may only be on, my GNex, doesn't seem to be happening on my N7 yet.
Probably another gif thing. I guess I should add this to the OP or something but:

:siren:Before reporting bugs that occur in the thread view, please check if the problem persists when gif animation is enabled:siren:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Papercut posted:

This app is fantastic and I really appreciate what it does, but one feature I wish it had was a way to disable swipes for page navigation. I can't use the app one-handed because at least 50-75% of the times that I'm trying to scroll down the page, it thinks I want to go to the previous page. I've tried being meticulous about only swiping vertically but it still wants to go back a page. I may just be a clumsy oaf.

In no spot will swiping make you go back a page. You might be triggering the pull-to-refresh/pull-for-next. However neither of those will cause the app to go to the previous page of the thread.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

anthonypants posted:

I noticed that the Android 4.4 documentation says there's a new implementation of WebView based on Chromium. Is that going to break everything?

I doubt it and expect the opposite to be honest. But we'll know once 4.4 hits the first devices with Awful.

And while I'm in here, if a few people with different resolutions and dpi could post screenshots of what the results of a Google Play app search for Awful look like, that'd be great. For example, here's the N4's 720p version:

I'm curious how the different dpis react.

Sereri fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 31, 2013

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

hooah posted:

Is it something with minus itself or with the way Awful parses image links that cause images hosted on minus to just show up as question mark blocks?

Indeed it is.

pokeyman posted:

The issue is they redirect a straight up request for the image to an HTML page with the image, some stats, and all that poo poo. They whitelist SA though, for whatever reason. I actually sent Minus an email first, but I never heard back.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Glimm posted:

Has anyone looked into moving the project to building with Gradle/AS?

I was thinking of looking into implementing some 4.4 APIs/play around but thought it might make sense to set the project up "The Gradle Way" before getting started.

Would this be a welcome change?

Sure, as long as everything works I don't see why not. Any contributions are appreciated :)

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

So much for everything should be fine. I suspect the problem is that the new webview handles custom/relative urls differently. I'll try to patch this later today.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

Is the new WebView going to make gifs not be such a battery drain in 4.4 or is that more of a systemic android thing?

I kinda hope so but unless people try it we won't know.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Bicycle SexFucker posted:

Anyone get stuck in an infinite refresh in the yospos catte thread? It'll also randomly jump back to the last read post, not always but sometimes.

Edit: I've tried every setting related to images, since it seems to be related to them. Nothing seems to work. I've let it load for 5+ minutes but it doesn't seem to matter. All the images are loaded but it continues to load something, as the loading bar repeatedly pushes and then releases the thread.

Double edit: disabling embedded videos solved it...even though im pretty sure it did it on pages without* YouTube vids.

Tunga posted:

I'm getting that too. Infinite refresh loop on any page with a YouTube video.

N5 on 4.4 so maybe Chromium WebView related.

londonmoose posted:

I'm having an issue with the app on 4.4, on my N5. Emoticons aren't showing up, instead there is just a blank square. I'm using the latest market version, and I've cleared the cache and data. Default settings. It still works fine on my other devices. No other issues that I've noticed.

It's not a big deal, just slightly annoying. Thanks for any help, and in general for a very useful app.

Edit : also just noticed that some avatars aren't showing up, including the stupid newbie one. Others are fine, and again they all show up on my other devices. I have a slight suspicion that it could be network related though, so I'm going to do another quick test.

E2: no luck. Tried it on both 3g, and wifi with custom dns (my ISP default is often shockingly poor and has caused similar issues in the past, so I usually use Google DNS, but hadn't set it up on the new phone yet. Doesn't seem to make a difference in this case). Deleted data both times, and even did a full reinstall once. No change.

Tunga posted:

Looks like I have both of those issues too (N5).

Also confirming that disabling embedded YouTube fixes the refresh issue.

LastInLine posted:

I'm not seeing the avatar or emoticon issue on 4.4. I didn't attempt to recreate the refresh issue, I just went ahead and disabled embedded YouTube.

It's definately some Javascript code in the youtube embeds that causes this. Just disable it for now.

As for stuff not showing up, everything is fine for me. Are you people in the Beta (please say no) ?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Brigadier Sockface posted:

I just installed the awful app on a new nexus phone but I can't log in. It keeps telling me login fail. I obviously know my username and password seeing as that I opened the browser logged in and posted this message...
Is this a thing?

Please give me a list of all special characters in your password (or PM them to me if you're not comfortable with posting them here). As a quick fix, change your password to something with A-Z/0-9 only. Normal punctuation like . , - and ? should be fine too.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

pokeyman posted:

Haha what?

I think the encoding is loving up a character in his password (because the username looks normal). Stupid forums and their CP-1251. Just use utf-8 damnit.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

pokeyman posted:

Figured it out. Replace characters outside win1252 with their HTML entities before percent-encoding.

(This is true in general, including posting new replies. So if you implement a general-purpose POST request serializer that does this, you can delete any HTML escaping you were doing on replies.)

Added html char encoding before the CP1252 encoding. Can't wait to see what that breaks :v:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Diqnol posted:

Sereri, I need an option to post my signature. It is affecting my night crew cred. If you can't it's okay but it would be nice.

Per post or in general?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Diqnol posted:

Any way to do it would be good, be that eternally on or per post.

Per post version currently going to the market beta. I also added an option to disable emots while I was at it.

kri kri posted:

Found a bug, happens on both my n4 and n7.

In a thread, if the orientation switches, I can't go to a new page. It just hangs at about 80% loading. Going back out to bookmarks and then going in again works, but is not ideal.

Try disabling the Gif fix. If that solves it there'll be a fix soon.

Anecdotally, I've had gifs enabled on 4.4 without Awful's battery usage exploding (at least according to the statistics). How is it for everyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

ZeeBoi posted:

KitKat and Awful don't seem to play well with each other. Some pages constantly reload images over and over. Apologies if this was posted before, just wanted to add my two cents.

Yes, it's the youtube embedding. There seems to be JS that is broken. Disable it.