Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Eikre posted:

Why are there two menu buttons in the top bar? The "real" menu button (corresponding to the depreciated hardware button) only has three options in it. Seems to me that all the functions of the "v" button could be in there, too. Having an extra menu doesn't really serve a necessary organizational function and it takes up a non-trivial amount of space from the thread title when you're on a phone-sized screen.

The v is content specific, the menu button is for things that aren't.

Eikre posted:

Well... That's nice, I guess. I have hardware navigation buttons and feel that the android notification bar has a much higher ambient-usefulness::space ratio so I can't say immersion mode gets my cock too hard.

I think it would be good if there were an option to cause the action and paging bars to turn invisible unless you were at the top or bottom of the screen (or you hit the deprecated hardware menu button). I don't think those interfaces' functions (I.e., turning the page or making a new post without quoting) are frequently relevant unless you're at the bottom of the page. Plus, on the real forums, that's where you find those options, anyway.

Not in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Heresiarch posted:

"Read posts by this user" is 100% causing a force quit for me with the current g+ beta. Is anybody else having the same problem?

Welp, looks like the webview got a lot more aggressive about what thread it runs on. I believe I fixed it.

ArcMage posted:

I switched to the beta and it's awesome except for the following:

The app is occasionally assigning 'pull to refresh' to the top of the thread, rather than the bottom.

Fully closing and restarting the app corrects the behaviour, until it happens again.

I'll see if I can be any more specific, but I've only just noticed the issue.

I know exactly what you're talking about and it's one thing I wanted to fix before this goes out to the market.

keseph posted:

Works fine for me on 4.1.2 on an SGS3 (it's getting old but it works!)

I like the info tab at the top telling you you're filtering, but it should be temporary and fade out after a few seconds. Maybe add a * prefix to the thread title as a reminder instead, and have the notification balloon do the little quote-arrow effect from the *

And on a totally separate note, if I have a quote open and Home button out, if I go back in through the task manager, it preserves my quote. Returning through the main app icon, it returns me to the previous thread location. I think the two reentry methods should behave the same (preferably with the task manager's style winning).
I haven't used it in a while and yeah I agree, I'd even go as far as to call it ugly as well. As for the second, I can look into it but I'm not promising anything.

Penguissimo posted:

but no luck so far. I've even tried poking around the css files and I'm stumped. Would the app devs maybe have any idea what's going on here?

What did you name the file you put into the awful folder? It should be something like spanky.dark.css .

Oh and by the way. I've reworked the HTML/CSS code for the new gif disabling. This will break custom CSS files in the current Beta and soon the market version. You should be able to fix this by replacing the avatar parts with those from the official file.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Zom Aur posted:

Is this really needed anymore though? I got the impression that the new webview was way more battey efficient when dealing with gifs.

The new webview is available on 4.4/KitKat only. That currently makes up 1.68%, less installs than on loving Froyo devices. Even if we say that all devices currently on 4.3 will get 4.4 that would still be below 30% and that is months from now. So yes, very needed.

Eikre posted:

Minor bug report: if you use the shortcut to this thread found in the Settings interface, then leave the app and return, you will always come back to this thread regardless of wherever you actually left off. It will continue this behavior until you manually kill the program and start it again.

Yeah it opens a second instant of the app on top of the first one for some dumb reason. You can also just back out of the second instance to return to the original instance.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

hooah posted:

Ahh, this is what happened. I was about to come post a screenshot of avatars occasionally being stretched horizontally, but this would explain it!

Edit: Aaaand I don't know anything about css. I copied everything starting with div.avatar* into the arc.dark.css file, overwriting everything there that had avatar in it, and this is the result:

If you post a pastebin or something I can probably fix it for you.

The new gif disabling is a mixture of 2 things we tried in the past. Gifs in avatars and (basically all) emoticons are replaced with on-the-fly generated static versions. Since the app has to wait for the image to be loaded this only works well for those small images. Gifs in the post content are replaced with our good old friend gif.png and can be shown by clicking on them, then selecting "show image inline".

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

hooah posted:

Here's the pastebin. I do like the new gif.png; it's way better than having to guess or tap to find out if a given image is a gif or not.

There was a } cut off, here is the fixed version.

Diabolik900 posted:

I guess the ridiculously small file size limit for avatars is finally paying off.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

XIII posted:

What do I need to change in this to get the forum directory pages (and reply page, no that I think about it) black with white text? The actual threads are great, but I prefer a full dark theme

Nothing. The forum theming comes from the filename. Its themename.forumstheme.css , so for example arc.dark.css. Removing the forumstheme part makes it use the default theme.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Oh god 11 new posts what happ.. oh just goons.

Aleph Null posted:

Running 3.0.3 on my Xoom, no GIFs animate whether avatars, emotes, or external images.
I have verified that disable gif animations is not checked.

You're right, I found the bug. It's not critical so I'll push this out soonish.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Does this mean that 4.4 devices can use GIFs without trouble?

It looks that way. I mean it's possible the webview is no longer displayed as part of the app and adds to the battery drain as Android OS or something like that. But Awful isn't 2nd behind Display when gifs are on so there's that.

lambeth posted:

When I use the mark thread unread option, I get a pop-up that says "Failed to mark unread. Please check your network connection and try again." every time. If I then refresh or go to another page, the little box with the number of unread posts disappears. I've got a good connection, and don't see any settings that would cause this. I'm on a Droid Incredible 2 v. 2.3.4 (old phone) on the current market version. I also had this issue with the previous market version as well. Any ideas as to what the issue is?

Works for me, can anyone else confirm this?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

nimper posted:

I don't think this is supposed to happen.

Did you gently caress around with the system fonts? Did you change the font used in Awful?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Geirskogul posted:

Samsung Epic 4G, Cyanogenmod to 4.3, latest Awful beta. After the latest update, on about half of the threads I view, there is a black square that takes up the top left quadrant of the screen whenever I enter a thread. The square extends to the midline of the screen, so it usually ends up covering up a person's avatar and the left half of their post, or at least the first few sentences. I can scroll past it, but it reappears wherever I enter a thread (view last read post makes it appear at the first new post at the top of the screen when the app jumps to it).

I don't have this issue on my Note 10.1 (2013) with a 4.4 version of Cyanogenmod.

Screenshots please.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I pushed out an update to the beta earlier that replaces the embeds with a new version of the fake youtube links.
I also fixed the thread link in the settings afaict and the avatar/emot fix from yesterday is in it.

numbs posted:

Just out of curiosity, why can't we start threads in the app?

Remember when the app used to post replies into the wrong thread? Yeaaaah.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The Dave posted:

This is what we used to say about the iOS version, in all honesty it's just a cop out.

Yeah while I still stand by that point, since then both iOS as well as W8 Awful have implemented thread posting and the forums aren't (much) more terrible than before.

It's on the list but since there are currently not many people working on the app (and I want a few things done before that like post previews) it might take a while.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

LastInLine posted:

For Sereri: GIFs enabled, Nexus 5 on stock 4.4, Dalvik RT.

Yeah I had noticed that too, couldn't figure out why it was happening. Turns out the switch to Gradle and Maven made it compile with an older version of a certain library. The bug in case was fixed 4 days later but never pushed to Maven Central. It appears to be working now and is currently going out to beta. If nothing else is critically broken (ignoring P2R for the moment) this'll hit the market.

Sereri fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Nov 16, 2013

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

therobotking posted:

Any plans to implement the new full-screen mode in KitKat? I would love to read threads with all the system and app bars hidden. Thanks for keeping the app updated either way. Its by far my most used app that's not communication-based.

Glimm made a version with it but it still has a few kinks. Basically any time a menu or dialog pops out it leaves fullscreen mode. It's currently at a stage where I would disable it by default and bury a switch for it in the settings somewhere.

ArcMage: Have you tried building a theme by modifying the classic version? Seems to be closer to what you want in the first place.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

ArcMage posted:

I built arc.dark.css and people seem to like it. I wasn't the one asking for a new dark theme.

I was referring to this:

ArcMage posted:

Whatever you did with the post options menu, it now looks like butt. :saddowns:

http://www.imgur.com/Xztj5GT.png

Also you slapped a bunch of huge margins into the header again.

In any case, I have no idea how to CSS, and can't find where to adjust the post options menu; if you could tell me which damnable block(s) define it that would be wonderful.

Unless that is what you did in the first place.

Hadlock posted:

Cool, I attempted to fork and then do a pull request (I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to GitHub) for your arc.dark.css

https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk/pull/265

I think that is the (now broken) version from October?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

peepsalot posted:

With dark theme selected, replying in landscape mode shows a white entry box.

That's your keyboard. I don't think we can control that.

/e: You know what, never mind. I can disable that it uses the keyboard's input field style.

Sereri fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 17, 2013

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

JingleBells posted:

Is this the change to the android-query dependency? I can't build the current code in GitHub without uncommenting the android-query dependency import - I thought I'd update my fork and figure out how gradle/Android Studio work - neither "gradle build" nor using Android Studio to build work without this import.

Yes that is the one. I downloaded the jar from the projects website and put it in the /libs folder. It should be caught by the compile fileTree(dir: 'libs', include: '*.jar').

I haven't seen anything else crash because of the bug so removing it and uncommenting the line should be alright for your debug builds.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

nimper posted:

Another odd bug. Android 4.3, latest beta/whatever was pushed to market yesterday, default theme. Happens on other themes too but it's easiest to show on a white background.

Can you turn on/off gif disabling and see if it has something to do with that?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Alan_Shore posted:

I love this app. Is it possible/will it be possible to make threads readable offline? Like if I've got a few new pages of posts to read, I could download them for later? I don't get a lot of WiFi in India.

I've never actively tried it but in theory this should already work. Posts are saved to a database and pulled when the page can't be loaded. There is no built in mechanism to save X pages, but if you visit the pages before you leave it should work, maybe even save images in Cache.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Just had this happen to me on a stock 2012 Nexus 7:

http://i.imgur.com/eIWvJxE.png

Seems to be the same bug that some others are experiencing.

What Android version are you on?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

nimper posted:

Android 4.3,

Geirskogul posted:

Samsung Epic 4G, Cyanogenmod to 4.3, latest Awful beta.

Hadlock posted:

Nexus S/CM 10.2,

I'm seeing a pattern here.

Well, it looks alright on my 4.3 emulator and the GNex I just borrowed.

Would one of you be comfortable with sending me a config export? They should be readable so look inside, but please don't edit anything.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

nimper posted:

edit: PM'd instead of posting here

Looks pretty much like the standard config apart from the wifi-images.

Is this something that happens in every thread or just some? Does it happen after a while or can it happen immediately?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Geirskogul posted:

For me it can happen immediately, or randomly 20 minutes in. I want to say I notice it more at work during my lunch hour where I have to connect to an ATTWIFI hotspot, but that's probably because I end up using it more at work because at home I use the computer.

So if you reload a page it's usually gone?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

nimper posted:

It's completely random, really. Sometimes it will happen with every thread and sometimes not at all.

Can you enable gifs for a day and see if that works?

Alternatively, does clearing the cache have any effect?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

RVProfootballer posted:

Quick question about something I probably missed by not following the thread closely. Avatars are only showing 1/4 until I click to see av text and other options. I'm on a stock Nexus 4 running 4.4, and whatever the latest market version of the app is. Also using spanky's dark theme. No big deal, just wondering if that's working as designed.

You scared me there for a second. This is because the latest gif disabling change required modifications of the HTML regarding the avatars. This breaks custom CSS files a bit. I'm using awful right now so I can't look things up for you but I gave instructions a page or 2 back.

Have any of you tried whether enabling gifs resolves the black box problem?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Geirskogul posted:

It does not. I've had the black box problem since before the gif placeholders, too.

Ah sorry, I only saw those reports pop up during the latest beta which more or less only brought the gif changes.
Still I wonder why I'm not getting more of these reports.

Have you guys made any modifications to rendering in any form? Switched stuff in the developer options? Modifications with apps like CPU freq changes?

I can't seem to recreate this at all.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The next version will have a permanent button in the settings menu that automatically calls the suicide hotline when you press it. You're welcome.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ihmemies posted:

Trip report from 2.3.31 on Nexus 10 running 4.4: everything still seemingly works, but the lag while scrolling seems to be gone. I assume this is thanks to the new webview :)

Any reasons you're not updating to at least 2.4.4?

Tunga posted:

You probably had hardware acceleration turned off, my N10 has never had any kind of lag in Awful.

Nah, Awful tends to lag a bit when scrolling fast on a <4.4 N10. Though that should not be a problem any more.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Hadlock posted:

I noticed that the thread layout option is disabled for my 5" 1920x1080 device, says "This screen is too small for tablet mode". I realize you are better informed than I on UI, but if I want an awful browsing experience on my Awful app browsing the Awful forums, it ought to at least be possible to enable it, right?

The "tablet view" only makes it so Forum Index and forum view are fit on the same screen. I guess I should just force that and remove the option now that the thread view looks the same on both device types.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Hadlock posted:

N5, 4.4

Disable pull-for-next - unchecked
Pull-to-refresh distance - 33%

Pull for next is not working when pulling up from the bottom. It does show the "white pull glow", so the app is registering the pull. If I pull from off screen up from the bottom it launches Google Now.

Try scrolling left and back next time and see if that fixes it.

Technogeek posted:

Works fine for me on the same device and settings. Only bit of odd behavior Is that the message at the top reads "pull to refresh" whether or not I'm trying to load the next page, but I'm not sure how easy an alternate message would be to implement.

I tried this with what we have and it didn't work out very well. I need to update the P2R library, after that'll I'll try again.

spankmeister posted:

Running 3.0.4 on my old 2.3 phone has an issue where if I'm reading a thread and tap on the drop down arrow I get two windows on top of each other. One is labeled "select an action", the other "thread actions" (iirc) both have the same options (post reply toggle bookmark etc.) but one has larger font.

That's a workaround we had to put in place. Due to a bug with the Actionbar library we need for pre HC devices, the menu didn't show up at all and had to be emulated. So either they fixed whatever was wrong in the library and it found it's way into the latest version, or you're an edge case and'll have to deal with it for now.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I don't actually know the workings of the goldmine(s). Are threads there closed? Can you still post in them?

Any suggestion how to indicate it, other than the hierarchy-up action going to the goldmine as it currently is?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Tunga posted:

Sereri is asking for ideas on how to indicate to the user that the thread has been goldmined/gassed (i.e. the thing Hadlock asked for), not how to detect it.

I'm struggling to think of a good way. Thread title colour?

Well he's not necessarily wrong. Making another stylesheet for the goldmine and GC would probably work. Whether or not I'm happy about that solution is another thing.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

baka kaba posted:

Forced animated background of raining gold coins from a Geocities page

Ugh, no gifs. How about a looping ka-ching sound instead?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I think 4.4.1 broke the P2R in the thread view. Can anyone confirm this?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Just uploaded 3.0.5 to the beta channel. It contains a fix for the P2N bug on 4.4.1+ and I've added Glimm's immersion mode as an option for KitKat users. It's off by default.

If someone has time to spare but doesn't want to jump into Awful itself, getting an updated fork of the ActionBar-PullToRefresh library with pulling from the bottom might help with the P2R issues.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Glimm posted:

Ah poo poo sorry man, I meant to send a pull request for that proper like.

Just been a crazy month or 2 at work it's really killed my motivation at home :(

Nah it's okay, you did most of the work. I just imported the changed file and added a settings option, 5 minutes of work. Thanks again :)

Mu Zeta posted:

Any chance of having a way to sticky a few favorite forums like on the other Awful app? Otherwise everything has been great.

I've created an issue for it but honestly don't expect it any time soon.

/E: meanwhile in the G+ community:

Sereri fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 10, 2013

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Glimm posted:

This didn't happen to me, but I did think about hiding that bar while in immersive mode. I could play with that to see if that works well.

Oh dear, that's not very desirable. I don't have a device with a hardware button to test this on though :(

I thought I added a bit where if the app loses focus it shows the status bar, but maybe not.

Theoretically, the app shouldn't be able to hide the notification bar outside itself so that feels like a Google (or rom) bug to me honestly.

What device is that on anyway, GPE S4 / One?

LastInLine posted:

Immersive mode is pretty sweet except it seems to exacerbate my problem where I hit the next page arrow with the base of my thumb when attempting to scroll. I think I'm the only one having this issue though. :(

I don't even get how this works, the buttons should not trigger during a swipe.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Adulterous Hitler posted:

Is this

a thing that has been fixed already?

Not even diagnosed really. I have no idea what this is, what's causing this, how to reproduce it or even since when this is happening.

To be bluntly honest, bugs that don't happen to me personally are the ones that last the longest. Part of this is that it's harder for me to track them down, part is that I'm not daily reminded that the bug still exists.

Sereri fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 12, 2013

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Thermopyle posted:

Basically, any time you have a bug you should send Sereri your device or an identical one.

Isn't Android development great?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I fixed it in a different, cleaner way and it's going out.

As for P2N, as far as I can tell it works most of the time, unless you go directly back into the threadview from outside the app, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

spincube posted:

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, isn't that based on the compatibility test that Google uses? (I was under the impression that this was so device manufacturers could create hardware-specific apps)

Those are all the devices that (theoretically) support Awful. And even that basically just means "something happens when the user clicks on the app icon". Afaik there are no tests, just devices not supported because we have the Froyo+ requirement and they never got that.

I've pushed out another beta that should fix P2N being on the wrong end when resuming the thread view from outside.