Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Roundboy posted:

ack my themes!

Love the speed but I would love the dark theme to have its black background :/

I have to agree but maybe a very dark blue would work too. I think the extra padding is the most annoying thing though. I also miss the spinning frog so bad. :(

Everything else is great, great work everyone! 5/5. Would poop with again.

Edit: just noticed that unread posts are a nice dark grey so it's just the read post blue that I don't like.

Edit2: using the default dark theme. I also notice that the backing 'black' is not proper black and differs from the Awful title bar. Is this intentional?

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Bug on the new market version in that it doesn't refresh your bookmarks page automatically. The old version did this nearly every time I navigated back to my bookmarks. Or is this intentional?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just experienced the dreaded black box bug again. :( Galaxy Nexus on 4.3. Cache clear and force close fixed it.

Liking everything else though, app feels more responsive.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is there a chance we will be getting back the theme customisations? I like the dark theme but would prefer if it was actually black to save battery.

Also still occasionally getting the black box glitch, usually solved by a force close. Galaxy Nexus on 4.3.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sereri posted:

You can still customize the thread view via CSS. Just create a folder called "awful" on your storage (or let Awful create it via settings export). Then put the css file there.

As for the black boxes. Have you tried Something? It's also on the play store nowadays. I'd love to hear back for once if the black boxes occur there too.

True, Gmail has the full sidebar while Google play goes with sidebar over the viewpager. Since that is what we were already using I used that. It's possibly why the back button doesn't close the drawer anymore so maybe it'll happen.

I don't know anything about CSS. Does it export the current theme? I could use that to start.

I'll try Something, no issues with using both apps?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sereri posted:

I've been meaning to write a CSS guide for ages. I'll try to whip something up on the weekend. Try starting with this

Also I have Something installed and no problems, though I only use it occasionally (when I break Awful too much)

Thanks. Used the dark theme as my start. Only issue I am having is that I can't find the line to change the bookmark and post backgrounds. I want them black but they are in the default theme.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

spankmeister posted:

What's the difference between Coke and Pepsi?

It does kind of strike me as strange given the total user base for both that we have two good apps rather than one great one.

Is there even a thread for Something?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

RVProfootballer posted:

Also having like 3 loading indicators for a process that usually only takes a couple seconds is an Awful app tradition, so suck it up :colbert: In fact, here's a request: please make the reload button spin while loading like it used to.

Tradition! I still miss the spinning frog we had for a short while.

Good update though! Thanks Serei (and others?) I think a hidden FAB would be good while scrolling though. That weird blank space at the bottom is well, weird.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm getting the loading failed mainly on the bookmarks page. I have also noticed that Awful seems to be draining my battery a lot more than it used it. Currently on 51% with Awful having used 19% only after screen.

On a Galaxy Nexus (yes, I know) on 4.3.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Something seems to be causing an issue in Awful. For the last couple of days if I leave Awful on a thread and come back to my phone later or change apps several times I come back to a blank page (the headers are there and work but there is no content). The only fix is to refresh the page (which causes me to lose my place).

Awful hasnt been updated in that time but Android System Webview was, not sure if this is related? I'm on a Nexus 5x on 6.0.1

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
This is happening on WiFi and 4g unfortunately.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Wow I never knew that either. Awesome! :aaaaa:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just had all the avatars and thread tags disappear. Moved from one page to another and poof they were gone. I've tried clearing the app cache and restarting the app but that didn't fix it.

Nexus 5x on 6.0.1

Unrelated: Is anyone looking into the Webview loading bug? Seems to be happening to more and more people now but doesn't seem to have been acknowledged?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sereri posted:

I'll push out the fix (well it's more of a alleviation) when I get back from work. It could've been out already but it's another case of "Oh and THAT would be nice too. Oh and THAT would be nice too..."

drat you Awful.app people, outdoing us at every turn :argh:

You are truly a perfect goon. :tipshat:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah awesome work! New themes look great.

However thread scrolling is quite laggy now. Bookmark scrolling is smooth as butter though. Is there a setting I should look at? I'm on a Nexus 5x.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

baka kaba posted:

You mean scrolling through a list of threads (a forum instead of a bookmarks list)? Or actually reading a thread?

If you mean reading one then it works completely differently to the list, it has to render all the thread stuff and with all the embedded videos and tweets these days, it's a bit heavier going. You could try disabling some of that fancy stuff if it's too slow right now

Actually in a thread. There is a marked difference from the last update to this one so it's not my phone I suspect.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Slow while reading threads that have finished loading. However as the day has gone on it seems to be better. Image heavy threads are slow but that's always been the case.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sereri posted:

What type of phone are you using?

Also do you have hardware acceleration enabled?

I'm using a Nexus 5x and hardware acceleration wasn't on. I just turned it on and it's much faster now! Yay, thanks.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I can't seem to post from the app. It sits there saying posting then just says Loading Failed. I'm on a Nexus 5x on the latest Android version. Cleared cache and restarted app, worked fine before the update.

Posting this from Chrome on my phone.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I cleared data but it's still not working. This is again posted from Chrome.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
There is a chance it's my connection I suppose but I can browse fine in Awful and Chrome and post from Chrome. I'll test on WiFi when I get home.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
All other behaviour is fine however I can't edit either. I don't have ADB installed sorry but I guess I could?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just did a test post there and it worked! Hmm...

Edit: this was from my phone so I guess it was my end. I almost ran out of credit so I guess it was that? Sorry!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Thanks for the update team! Great work :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What's happening when the image of the frog appears? Don't get me wrong, I love me some awful frog just wondered what that's all about. It looks like it appears when my phone goes to redraw the app or something but then doesn't reload the page (which is good except if your on the bookmarks page in which case a reload is always appreciated).